Awoo.

Assassin's Creed: The Movie

Pawn

So this has been in the works for a while, but now that we have more information about the location and an image of the film's assassin, I thought it would be a good time to create a topic.

09e65040c3fd16923aab811d4da2522ff4dc3a71

[Callum] Lynch discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society through unlocked genetic memories that allow him to relive the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.

Also starring Marion Cotillard (The Dark Knight Rises), Michael Kenneth Williams (12 Years a Slave), and Ariane Labed (Before Midnight), cameras start rolling for Assassin's Creed on Monday. Filming is set to happen in Malta, London, and Spain.

The film is being helmed by Justin Kurzel, director of the recent critically-acclaimed Macbeth adaptation (also starring Fassbender and Coutillard).

I wonder if we'll get to see different stages of Lynch's life or if it will focus more on his adult years. Either way, I imagine that we'll be seeing the establishment of the Spanish Inquisition at some point. The past aside; you have to wonder how they are going to handle the modern day plot that Ubisoft have made such a mess out of.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

That face in those robes... that just doesn't look right at all. They really needed a different, fuller hood design.

I worry that they will do to the AC franchise what was done to Resident Evil. I know that things can't be exactly the same, of course they never can be, but I do think that the stories told thus far would translate acceptably to the big screen.

Edited by Patticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Damn damn DAMN

If this had been announced sooner I would've lapped it up but I couldn't care less now. DX The setting sounds so cool too! Argh

I don't know about anyone else, but I really like it this outfit. Honestly, I prefer this design over what Altair or even Ezio wore during their respective times as protagonist. I know that it would make more sense for the hood to be fuller, but there's only so much you want to risk concealing given the lead actor's rising star. Personally, I love Michael Fassbender. He's a fine actor in own right, and he's absolutely gorgeous to boot. The more I see of his face, the better. ;)

As an avid fan of Assassin's Creed, I hope this doesn't follow the same route as the Resident Evil film series. But sadly, a decent adaptation of any video game property is a distinct rarity, so I'm not entirely stoked just yet. I'm at least happy they've gotten Fassbender to play the lead. His mere presence will afford it more credibility than your standard Paul W.S. Anderson affair. So odds are that he will offer more substance to the role than whatever Milla Jovovich will do under her husband's direction. 

Anyway, there's so much lore to this series that it would be best suited for a television show with a considerable budget. It would be cool if such a hypothetical adaptation could focus on one title per season. I think that'd be the most appropriate path when you consider how much lore there is to cover. How will they be able to tackle it all in a couple movies unless they change out the actor over time? 

Edited by Killtank

• 3 months later...

I'm interested and I hope this can be good, but I can't help but feel that this is five years too late.

I'm interested and I hope this can be good, but I can't help but feel that this is five years too late.

Nah, the Angry Birds movie is what's too late. Assassin's Creed isn't at it's largest now, but it's still big and in general the series general story and framing device make for a decent movie. I think this could do pretty well.

• 5 months later...

The movie looks good. The new Animus is pretty interesting.

I don't think the music is necessarily unfitting. Not like Warcraft. The whole "I am a God" thing fits with Abstergo. But, the music sounds completely drowned out for the most part so it didn't really leave an impression on me. 

Still, someone on NeoGaf edited the trailer with the music used in the trailer for AC Revelations:

Looks pretty cool actually. I might check it out, but if it's rated R for violence then probably not (squeamish).

The music really just ruins the trailer for me. Not to mention that the movie is coming out around the same time as Rogue One in which case it will be buried. Plus given Hollywood's track record for live-action video game movie adaptations I expect this one to bomb pretty badly.

I swear they better not draw the pieces of eden into this. That was and still is the biggest shitty aspect of the stories in AC. The film itself looks eh, nothing special seen so far. Seems like a run of the mill action adventure just with some Assassins Creed paint thrown on it, but we'll see. Likely won't do that well though.

I don't think it looks half bad, outside the terribad Animus. Also, most games in this series have had pop music in some of their trailers, so this one doing likewise wasn't a huge bother.

They do need to move that release date though, they're going to get hammered at the box office.

I am very disappointed they didn't put the 'Hurry up with my damn croissants' line from the song in the trailer, but I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since 2 so I'm not really qualified to comment on it otherwise.

It doesn't look like it, but I hope that they have some of the campy/pulpy stuff from those games in there (hanging out with Leo Da Vinci!), and no Piece of Eden garbage. 

I get the feeling that they aren't really making movies out of the right franchises though - Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper never seemed like the huge genre defining mainstay that a Sonic, Mario or  even Crash and Banjo Kazooie were (R&C and Sly completely passed me by growing up, and I had friends with PS2s), the Warcraft movie just seems like an excuse to make LOTR movies again, the general tenor of criticism around Assassins Creed nowadays is that it's highly produced stabby collectathon tedium and not something that engenders love and affection....

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will be a great movie , the game think that not innovated anything and that would be a prince of persia, films like this can be found in the application of Gums Up , and totally free recalls. We are beginning an era in which the game will jump to the big screen .

• 6 months later...

And the reviews are coming in, yep we got another stinker here.

Man, it's gonna be a goddamn miracle if the Sonic movie is anywhere near decent.

4 hours ago, Soni said:

And the reviews are coming in, yep we got another stinker here.

Man, it's gonna be a goddamn miracle if the Sonic movie is anywhere near decent.

I wouldn't get my hopes up since its being made by Sony. And they have a pretty shitty track record when it comes to movies.

The outfit is awesome. I just don't like the idea of a video game already with quality cutscenes and a story being made into a movie that's not really accurate with anything. Besides, Roger Craig Smith ain't in it

• 2 years later...

For those who don't know, due to the FOX movie rights buyout from Disney, the supposed sequel to this movie has been cancelled by being in the pile of movies thrown in the dump, like the Mega Man movie. So unless Ubisoft manages to convince Disney to try again or changes distributor entirely, we're probably not gonna see it at least for a long time.