Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed

Eternal EX

So I'm glad I can finally look back on a Sonic game that came out about a year ago and say "Well, that was a pretty good game". Lets hope that when Needlemouse is a year old I can say the same thing.

I think Sonic Unleased (360, anyhow) is a great game, and hould have, IMO, made up for Sonic Heroes, Shadow, and Sonic 2006. It feels so fresh and well built, and the storyline feels unchained by the lame crap those other games pumped out. It's graphics are beautiful, the town's down get in the way, and the controls just work. I'm not the biggest fan of quick-time events, but they didn't damage the experience for me. The boost was a cool feature, but I almost wish it was a little harder to fill up so it was more balanced. The Werehog isn't a game-killer for me either, but the level designer shouldn't have ripped off God of War so damn bad (tight ledge walking and box pushing, I'm lookin' at you). It should have been much more stream-lined, like this:

The boss battles also weren't all that special, sadly....

Now, I didn't like the wii version all that much. While the 360 version's control scheme improved upon the flaws of controls in past games (ring dash on the Y button, for example, so you don't accidently ring dash the wrong ring trail and die when you wanna attack), the Wii version didn't make any progress. Sonic and the werehog also controlled way too stiff, and too much content was lacking from the 360 version. The hubs were also a joke, and the ratio of Werehog to Hedgehog levels was 3 to 1. What makes it worse is that Werehog levels in that version were usually twice as long as hedgehog levels.

However, the wii had some good features that I wish were in the 360 version. For example, the medal system. I think getting medals based on your rank is way better than "fishing" for them through levels (and by "fishing", I mean it was about as fun as fishing with Big in SA1). I also liked the medals opened up secret areas in "Gaia temples" to get extra content, while the levels opened up naturally once certain conditions were met in the game. This should have been in the 360 version, and it pissed me off that it wasn't =/ Oh, and just to nitpick somemore, I like how the Wii version had the spin dash animation when you went fast enough using the boost, and IMO, that should have been in the 360 version as well. And the mission system was much better than the chilly dog bullshit........eh, I'm rambling xD

But that's my take on it: very good game on 360, but lacking some good content the Wii version provides. the Wii version as a whole felt very mediocre.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 2

Lets hope that when Needlemouse is a year old I can say the same thing.

Or better, Unleashed was certainly that critical first step. You have to walk before you can run (which is ironic really seeing as which series we're discussing :P)

Edited by ENVY16

So I'm glad I can finally look back on a Sonic game that came out about a year ago and say "Well, that was a pretty good game".

My DS wants a word with you back in that dark ally over there.

(and its a DS PHAT so it can do some damage if it gets chucked hard enough :D )

I agree though, I am quite happy post-Unleashed. Quite the receptional roller coaster from the last mainstream title.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Unleashed wasn't the best game, and it certainly had it's faults, but from my point of view it was a solid 8/10 game. Day stages were awesome, the night stages were so-so, I enjoyed town missions and medal collecting personally, etc. It also had tons of replay value and looked and sounded awesome, so yeah, keep it up please.

• Thumbs Up 1

I own it for Wii, and after finishing it, I can now say that while it isn't my favorite game in the series, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

The daytime stages, of course, are nothing below fantastic. The nighttime stages were too long, often poorly designed, hard to control, and way too frequent. I say "often poorly designed" because some of the platforming parts of the stages weren't that bad at all, reminding me a bit of Super Mario 64, for some reason.

But that was rare. I hated the night levels.

Story and character-wise, I liked it. The cast wasn't overpopulated, the original 4 were there (Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Robotnik), with only Prof. Pickle and Chip being the main additions to the cast. As for my favorite character, Dr. Eggman, I think they hit a perfect balance for his characterization here. He was oftentimes goofy and childish, but he gets to demonstrate how much of a badass he is.

Like the opening, for example. He defeats Super Sonic, drains the Chaos Emeralds of their power, splits open the Earth, then has Sonic sucked out into space...all within the first 6 minutes of the game! And let's not get started on Eggmanland...the daytime level of which was my favorite in the game.

Day: 9/10

Night: 3/10

Overall: 6/10

• 1 month later...

I've just put Unleashed in my Xbox 360 and an update popped up. I have all the DLC and did all the updates around those. I haven't played the game for a month or 2 so just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this update.

Hmm... well i got an update on almost every game since the Facebook/twitter/Last.fm update sooo I dont know what to tell you.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Sonic Unleashed is now listed as a Platinum Hits on XBL. According to Wikipedia, this means is has sold at least 400,000 copies. Has it been like this for a while and I didn't notice it or has it just now been added? If it just happened, it has me wondering why they added it almost three months after the usual deadline, which is nine months after release.

Has it been like this for a while and I didn't notice it or has it just now been added?

I'm pretty sure it hit platinum status about two or three weeks ago. At least, that's when I noticed it while scrolling through the XBL marketplace.

Edited by gamerguy21

Oh yeah -

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/sonicunleashed/

I hadn't noticed. Look's like it hasn't hit our Xbox 360 Classic's status in Europe yet.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/s/sonicunleashed/details.page/

EDIT:

Noticed in ASDA today the EU version has hit Xbox 360 Classic's status.

• 2 months later...

Is anyone else having trouble playing DLC stages? I for some odd reason can not play on ADABAT or Empire city (DLC). I've redownloaded it like 10 times but still nothing. :( I wasted money on stuff I can't play anymore.

Just something I'd thought I ask... why is this still in the upcoming games section? Sonic Unleashed's been out for, what... over a year now? Not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just curious.

Only today I found out about that "Ring Exploit" with Wentos and I gotta say...

WENTOS IS A FUCKING MORON.

Why the hell would you sell someone something (Chocolate in this case), then buy it back from them at 5 times the damn price? :blink:

• Thumbs Up 1

Only today I found out about that "Ring Exploit" with Wentos and I gotta say...

WENTOS IS A FUCKING MORON.

Why the hell would you sell someone something (Chocolate in this case), then buy it back from them at 5 times the damn price?  :blink:

Desperation... the man loves chocolate.

Also I finally got my own 360 (elite =D and it's got FALCON) and I'm replaying Unleashed. Being that I haven't played it in months, it feels kind of nice to go back to it. (Does homework then plays Unleashed : P )

I don't have trouble playing DLC as in the levels won't load. I have trouble playing DLC stages because I want my money back. I was thinking they would be pleasant new levels designed like the other stages in the game. Not " I want to be the guy " style challenges with pitfalls spammed even more than the main story. ...My fault for not doing proper research I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't have trouble playing DLC as in the levels won't load. I have trouble playing DLC stages because I want my money back.

That's not gonna happen. Once you buy DLC, you can't re-sell it.

Guest Jordan4K6

Desperation... the man loves chocolate.

Also I finally got my own 360 (elite =D and it's got FALCON) and I'm replaying Unleashed. Being that I haven't played it in months, it feels kind of nice to go back to it. (Does homework then plays Unleashed : P )

My 360 is a falcon too, h5.

On Topic now... I own this game for Wii and 360, I haven't bothered to finish the Wii version, I'm at adabat night and it's just boring. Though on the 360, I'm on the final boss and I haven't bothered to beat him, xD. When I get the PS3 version, ill get all trophies.

Edited by Jordan4K6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That's not gonna happen. Once you buy DLC, you can't re-sell it.

...I hope you didn't seriously think I really beleived otherwise.

Edited by Lando The Bat

I have a question. where can i find Videotape 52 in the ps3 version?

Edit: Never mind i found it.

Edited by Eternlo

This game was really good. SEGA's best game in years. It's very underrated.

I lost my copy so I'll probably get the Platinum Hits version for my 360. I'll get the Wii version as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like a relatively silly reason to bump this topic, but am I alone in thinking that Sonic the Werehog (at least in terms of latent abilities and various feats during the course of this game) is really awesome?

Of course I would have loved to have seen Knuckles in place of him. Hell, I probably would have pissed my pants if that was the case (I have dreamed of Knuckles gameplay being similar to that found in the Werehog levels for years), but I do like his gameplay in a general sense and I think that it's the best 'alternative' Sonic gameplay that the series has ever had. At the very least it has had the most effort put into it. It was a nice break from the unbelievably fast paced Sonic stages as well.

My favorite boss battle in the entire game by far was Egg Dragoon. The last Werehog boss. Sonic Unleashed certainly had its fair share of epic boss fights, but that one was easily my favorite. Honestly, it's part of the reason why I find the real final boss to be such a massive disappointment. Less than 10 minutes after one of my favorite Sonic bosses ever you give me this stupid mashy bullshit with clunky controls that happens to be the worst fight in the entire game? Maybe even the worst fight in the series ever? What a damn shame. Even the Storybook games had better final boss fights! (Darkspine Sonic and Excalibur-Sonic are actually another two of my favorites)

I don't know. Maybe I'm just a sucker for characters that take a more hands-on (lol) approach to fighting. Knuckles is my favorite character in the entire series, after all.

Edited by Dat Cute Cat Guy
  • Thumbs Up 5

I never had much of a problem with the werehog as a stand alone form of gameplay. As far as kiddyfied "GoW" clones go the werehog holds up pretty well with its plethora of stellar combos and mostly solid controls. However since this is meant to compliment the fastest Sonic gameplay to date it feels horribly out of place, especially since it introduces a new pseudo-character instead of adapting the gameplay for a pre-established character, ie. Knuckles/Omega.

Do you guys remember the two Dreamcast cameos in Sonic unleashed? Well, i'm not sure if any of you knew that, but there are two discs near the Dreamcast and i actually know what they are!

The first one is "Sonic adventure" with Eggman on the cover for some mysterious reason and the second disc is .. Well, you better see for yourself!

sonicunleasheddreamcast.th.png

sonicunleasheddreamcast.th.png

16867815.jpg

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2