Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed

Eternal EX

Thats not on the PS3 version... BAH! We're hard! We can find our own way there!

Actually I've got "Go to the Lab" on my World Map and I own the PS3 version. o.O

Actually I've got "Go to the Lab" on my World Map and I own the PS3 version. o.O

.... Where abouts is it? Do you need to go to the country in question to select it?

Maybe you should revisit the lab located in Spagonia first? (Make sure you had completed the game)

When I go on "Go to the Lab", instead of taking me to Pickle's lab located in Shamar...it takes me to Spagonia's. o.O

Edited by Spicylicious

.... Where abouts is it? Do you need to go to the country in question to select it?

Just press start at the World Map screen, and you'll see it as one of the options.

It didn't pop up for me until after the credits... which is pointless since it would've been more helpful before I beat the game.

Edited by NintendoBrad

As flawed as it is, I really like it. It just starts to feel a little unfinished around the end.

They need to release a multiplayer mode (I'm sure many people share my sentiments on this.)

And not just any party game collection or brawler (a la Secret Rings or Black Knight) mode. Instead, a race mode would be nice.

It'd be nice, but it's not realistic. The consoles have limitations that the game is already pushing.

They could've saved space if they didn't waste so much on the Werehog levels, which are so much bigger than the daytime levels.

Not to be too off-topic here, but I wish Sonic Team could have put as much effort into the daytime stages as they did into the Werehog ones. The Werehog ones are huge, and if their time could have been put into use for the daytime stages, those would be even better than they already are.

Edited by OvErLoRd Darkspine

Okay so I was just checking the Japanese PlayStation Store (lol) and I noticed something rather odd. In the new releases section there's an add-on for Sonic Unleashed.

I don't think it's the patch or anything of that sort (mainly because it's got a 300 yen price tag), but since I can't read Japanese I have no idea what it is! D:

It could be something hardly worth mentioning but I'm really curious now.

EDIT: I'm probably going to sound crazy but after scrolling down and looking at the information and screenshots, they look like new Chun-nan levels! It's called the Chun-nan Adventure Pack, judging from the katakana.

Edited by Chooch

I am going to bed now (got 2 midterms in the morning) but I am SO keeping tabs on this.

A possibility of new levels in Unleashed!!! OMG. Sweet find Chooch!

*prays for re-release of Adabat with no framerate issues*

I am going to bed now (got 2 midterms in the morning) but I am SO keeping tabs on this.

A possibility of new levels in Unleashed!!! OMG. Sweet find Chooch!

*prays for re-release of Adabat with no framerate issues*

DAMN man. Good luck on the tests.

If Ps3 owners get new level then I want them too!

I have the PS2 version. I'm stuck on Act III: Path to Darkness. I'm persevering through this level and I'll beat it eventually.

I was going to get both versions... because I had planned to buy a PS3 ( Little Big Planet is a must have... )

But I don't make enough money right now, and I really don't know how to save my money. So I will wait until I get a much better job. I will eventually get both versions.

I used to have an Xbawks 3sixty, but that thing broke down on my two too many times, so I am selling it to a spare parts man.

Edited by Lando The Bat

Okay so I was just checking the Japanese PlayStation Store (lol) and I noticed something rather odd. In the new releases section there's an add-on for Sonic Unleashed.

I don't think it's the patch or anything of that sort (mainly because it's got a 300 yen price tag), but since I can't read Japanese I have no idea what it is! D:

It could be something hardly worth mentioning but I'm really curious now.

EDIT: I'm probably going to sound crazy but after scrolling down and looking at the information and screenshots, they look like new Chun-nan levels! It's called the Chun-nan Adventure Pack, judging from the katakana.

Oh. You're the source my news tipster cited. :lol:

Can you...like, take a picture or something just for proof's sake? I'm running it as a rumor, though I may change that now that it appears this is legit.

EDIT: Never mind; I have a photo, and now I have word it's on both JP and Domestic XBOX Live for download!

Edited by Tristan

They could've saved space if they didn't waste so much on the Werehog levels, which are so much bigger than the daytime levels.

Not to be too off-topic here, but I wish Sonic Team could have put as much effort into the daytime stages as they did into the Werehog ones. The Werehog ones are huge, and if their time could have been put into use for the daytime stages, those would be even better than they already are.

Actually the it's the exact opposite, the daytime stages are more than ten times the size of their nighttime counterparts. Because Sonic spends most of the time in the day stages traveling in a relatively straight line at 200 - 300 mph the stages require 6 miles or more of virtual real estate just to keep the player occupied for 2 to 6 minutes. The werehog stages are much smaller than they seem and only last so long because of the werehog's much slower running speed and the focus on combat, platforming and puzzles.

For example here's a speedrun of Rooftop Run day Act 1:

Even after glitching past a large section of the level to travel in a straight path towards the goal the time required still exceed 3.5 minutes. Imagine how much distance Sonic can cover in that amount of time with his speed.

However the night stage barely lasts over two minutes in this run since the player use a similar glitch to skip almost every fight and puzzle.

http://www.soniccenter.org/videos/_rr1.mp4

The werehog is much slower so the player doesn't cover nearly as much ground in those two minutes as normal Sonic can.

Since the day stages are just as graphically detailed as the night stages and require much more complex programming and use of the physics engine these sections had to receive the most development time out of any aspect of the game.

DAMN man. Good luck on the tests.

Thanks man. I beasted on them as usual. :lol:

Also, The Crazy Bat Guy is right. The Sonic stages are so much longer (and harder to program) than the Werehog levels. Even though there are a lot of them, the trade-off for adding Werehog's development time to more Sonic levels would be minimal at best.

Quick review for those who are on the edge of buying the extra level pack or not.

If you enjoyed the Werehog parts, you get to play the entire length of cut stuff from the first Chun-nan level, which amounts to pretty much another whole Werehog level (certainly longer than act 1), and a brand new short level.

If you are hoping for brand new Sonic content, you're going to be disapointed. You get the hard mode for Chun-nan act 1, a 5 lap version of act 2, and 2 new levels, a very small navigation one which better players will clear in 2 minutes and is fairly easy, and another lap one, entirely on water.

Basically Sonic part a bit pants, Werehog part is great.

But it'll last you a max of 30 mins overall, no new medals or achivements so no point in S ranking (although good Werehog players will get it first time), so probably not worth your cash unless you enjoyed the Werehog and are interested in seeing the rest of Chun-nan at night.

Well at least the 528 MBs suggests it's new content and not something already on disk.

Both Werehog parts are brand new (well act 1-2 is everything that was cut from Chun-nan act 1, which is a lot.)

Sonic gets only 2 new very short levels, the other 2 "new" bits are Act's 1&2 in hard mode.

I was refering to all the DLCrap from Sonic 06 that was already on disk, and was so lackluster it should've been free to download, if not unlock straight on the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Which one? There's like 2 of those.

Beat Apotos act 2 under 2:30?

or

Shamar act 1 day under 2:45?

Trust me its fairly easy to kill the Apotos one, but it make take you a few tries to get the shamar stage.

Sonic Unleashed is criminally underrated just because it's a Sonic game. I know Sonic is in the shitter, and believe me, I'm the first to say it, but Sonic Unleashed is a fun, good, quality game with some smalls flaws that bring it down. Sonic's levels are pretty much Sonic Rush but in 3D, which isn't bad, but classic Sonic fans seem to not enjoy the lack of physics momentum gameplay, I, however, find it fun. Sonic Unleashed has been made for all ages, but for people who are older and can enjoy high quality beat 'em ups like God of War and No More Heroes might find the Werehog a bit bare bones. However, kids should love it and lovers of "arcade" score attacking and speed-running should find it fun for quite a while. The town stages are a hit and miss for people, I personally have not problem with them. They're not an amazing gameplay experience, but they're pretty looking with at least somewhat interesting characters to talk to (All of whom are optional) and a fun platforming element to them as well. I'd give the game a 7.5/10, a fun little game that, while not perfect, should last you a while if you enjoy speed-running and trying to get the best score possible, which has been absent from retail games for a while.

Which one? There's like 2 of those.

Beat Apotos act 2 under 2:30?

or

Shamar act 1 day under 2:45?

Trust me its fairly easy to kill the Apotos one, but it make take you a few tries to get the shamar stage.

Oh Thanks a lot man! ;)

I just bought the Wii version at GameStop while I was out shopping with my family (Although renting it would have been safer, but I couldn't find any decent rental places anywhere), and the game is very good so far!

The Good

• Graphics are pretty good for a Wii game. Everything is detailed, and the human NPC's cartoony look is far better than the grittier designs used in Sonic Next Gen.
  • The music is amazing, and has alot more variety than recent titles (Not that I don't like the hard rock style main themes or anything).
  • I actually like the story, it's very light and cheery like the early games, but with the occasional serious themes like Sonic Adventure.
  • The daytime stages are quite fun!

The Bad

• The mechanics for the nighttime stages could have been better, as hitting the shoulder buttons alternativly (SP?) to get combos was somewhat tricky (I am playing with a GameCube Controller if it helps).
  • I was also disappointed with how you can't explore the Adventure Fields freely, and have to pick your location to talk with NPCs instead.

Right now I am up to my first visit in Mazuri to look for Professor Pickle, but I am having fun with Sonic Unleashed so far!

My review of Sonic Unleashed PS3(I'm usually in the general forum section so if you don't recognize me, I'm sorry)

Since there is two distinct versions of the game, I'll review them in seperate categories.

Let's begin with the metaphorical storm before sunshine.

Night stages aka Werehog.

When I first saw the werehog in the trailers, I was stoked. I welcomed it with open arms with an euphoric embrace because I figured that it couldn't get much worse than treasure hunting. I was wrong. The werehog in the beginning of the game seemed to be acceptable because the stages weren't too long. But as soon as you leave Chun-nun, you will experience stages that take longer than time itself. Because of the longevity, it becomes increasingly repetitive. I literally became tired of the damn thing and started to replay previous day stages. The thing that I despise the most about the werehog was the enemies. Mind you that I'm not bashing the look of them but the cheapness of their attacks. I despised that they would block attacks until the point where they would literally be spamming. Or that those little bastards would constantly fly up in the air where you can't reach them. I know that there is a jump button, but YOU STILL CAN'T REACH THEM. I,being a melee game enthusiest, know now that Sonic Team should never make a beat 'em up EVER.

Day Stages

These day stages were breath taking. I was literally becoming enthused about all things you do to make one Sonic level. For example, Sonic will start running through a seemingly open 3-D area and then the camera will switch to 2-D for awhile. Soon Sonic will start chasing airborn robots and destroying them with different land robots. After that chase, Sonic himself will get chased by another robot while avoiding bombs. Sonic then comes accross a water area and normally this would be taboo but Sonic justs STARTS RUNNING ON WATER. Now you have to keep your speed while avoiding obstacles. Sonic reaches a pillar or tall area and starts free falling to the bottom. You see what I'm describing here. Never has a Sonic level made you do so much. I prefer an athletic Sonic because the possiblities become epic(Ha you thought I was going to say endless). The only bad thing about this part was the slipperry controls. You had to get used to it then the game started to get fun. Another thing that might bother some fans was the level diffilculty spiking. The game teases you into thinking that it will be a piece of cake in the first few levels and then Shamar, Empire City, and Adabat come. When you think you seen the worst, Eggman comes in to obliterate you. Overall, this section made this game special.

Overall, I would give this game two distinct scores based on their contrasting gameplay. 4 for the beware hog and a 9 1/2 for Sonic stages.

Hmp! I have both versions of the game. I like them both, but so far, I love the Wii version more than I like the 360 version!

The nighttime levels do not bother me in both versions, but the Wii version has more alternative paths than the 360 version does! Sure, the 360 version has some advantages over the Wii version, but that Wii version gives me more of a Sonic and Knuckles vibe, thanks to its alternate paths!