Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed

Eternal EX

Ah, speaking of those hilarious shorts, I honestly wonder why they didn't do any for Colors and Generations, especially the latter.

100% precise or else you die is hyperbole at its finest. I mean, I know the Day levels rely heavily on rote memorization to get the most enjoyment out of them, but I'm seriously sitting here trying to think of all of these numerous instances where a complete lack of foreknowledge to the level design- as in you are thrust into something with no directions being telegraphed- is absolutely guaranteed to kill you versus stopping you, hurting you, or dropping you to another path. Closest I came is perhaps the water running bits and several portions of Eggmanland, a relatively minor portion of the game.

Oh don't even start Lauren....

You are going to bring back the age old argument that "Just because I went around a cliff at 200 miles per hour....doesn't mean I should be punished for it dry.png " logic that some members have here.

Edited by Voyant

Oh don't even start Lauren....

You are going to bring back the age old argument that "Just because I went around a cliff at 200 miles per hour....doesn't mean I should be punished for it dry.png " logic that some members have here.

But I like bringing back age-old arguments. Besides, it's one that raises a curious question. Let's assume everyone in the world who played Unleashed came to agree in the end that you shouldn't be punished with death for boosting off of something in a level. Well, how else would you have handled punishment in the game rather than death? Highly recommended that no smart-ass answers that circumvent the premises be submitted. =P

Whilst Sonic is curiously quiet throughout Unleashed's cutscenes (I always attributed his quietness and more contemplative demeanor to being influenced by the piece of Dark Gaia inside him), whenever he does do something or speak, it makes up for his quietness. His body language also compensates for his lack of vocalness to an extent. The portrayal of Sonic is second only to the two Storybook games IMO.

I mean look at this cutscene;

Sonic is just standing there listening to Chip and making the occasional curious interjection. That one line "Do I need a reason to wanna help out a friend?" is simply made of win, his willingness to help out his friend expertly done and His expressions speak volumes without using words;

346s6xy.png

SUBTLETY. HONEST TO GOD SUBTLETY. It's such a pity you left after SatBK...

His expression on the top left speaks clearly of surprise at Chip's purpose in life. The one on the top right is visible anger and disdain when Chip mentions Eggman. The one on the bottom left portrays Sonic as wanting to comfort Chip and/or say something whilst the one on the bottom right puts across that Sonic is fully accepting of his transformations and goes into it without 'fighting' it.

Gah! I just adore Sonic in Unleashed biggrin.png

This, I took note of this too.

I miss when Sonic was capable of inner monologue...

It surprised me when Sonic was not bothered by the transformation like all the previous times, maybe because he chose to accept it, or maybe because it simply stopped hurting(or both).

I still think Unleashed's punishing gameplay style would have been circumvented with just a little more tutorial and making things crystal clear to the new player. For example telling people you could hold B instead of push it at the right moment to grab things, or that you can keep better control during water-running by periodically tapping the X button instead of going full-throttle.

"Bad" feedback advice could have helped too. If you die too often while boosting in a "non-boost mandatory area" of a level, the game will flash up a notice telling you to use the boost wisely, and avoid using it in unfamiliar areas.

Dying a lot during a "boost-mandatory area" would instead give you tips about controlling your boosting by not going overboard on speed.

It's just a shame the game was so higgledipiggledy with it's problems. The game encourages you to go fast but only rewards it through sheer fun and S ranks. Then they expect you to slow down and explore to find medals to progress further.

Gaw I love this game to bits but silly Sonic Team. Silly!

Edited by JezMM

I still think Unleashed's punishing gameplay style would have been circumvented with just a little more tutorial and making things crystal clear to the new player. For example telling people you could hold B instead of push it at the right moment to grab things, or that you can keep better control during water-running by periodically tapping the X button instead of going full-throttle.

I think it would have been better if they had just fixed the fucking controls from the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

100% precise or else you die is hyperbole at its finest. I mean, I know the Day levels rely heavily on rote memorization to get the most enjoyment out of them, but I'm seriously sitting here trying to think of all of these numerous instances where a complete lack of foreknowledge to the level design- as in you are thrust into something with no directions being telegraphed- is absolutely guaranteed to kill you versus stopping you, hurting you, or dropping you to another path. Closest I came is perhaps the water running bits and several portions of Eggmanland, a relatively minor portion of the game.

Yes, i was making a hyperbole, but I still think it is TOO memorization-heavy.

And the die part, i was mainly thinking of those stupid "press three random buttons" parts where you press like "A-RT-X" or you miss the platform.

I try to use the boost as little as possible. I dont care for the boost that much, so you won't see me just hold the boost button down the whole time.

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Yes, i was making a hyperbole, but I still think it is TOO memorization-heavy.

And the die part, i was mainly thinking of those stupid "press three random buttons" parts where you press like "A-RT-X" or you miss the platform.

The Daytime levels are memorization heavy, but at relatively paltry costs to the player beyond some general annoyances that can be straightened out with a tap of the X button. Compared to that, outright dying from having absolutely no indication of what to do beforehand is quantifiably rare in Unleashed as are QTEs that kill you upon failure. As such, I disagree with considering these moments as massive, prominent, game-killing flaws. xP

The Daytime levels are memorization heavy, but at relatively paltry costs to the player beyond some general annoyances that can be straightened out with a tap of the X button. Compared to that, outright dying from having absolutely no indication of what to do beforehand is quantifiably rare in Unleashed as are QTEs that kill you upon failure. As such, I disagree with considering these moments as massive, prominent, game-killing flaws. xP

My Unleashed disc quit working several months ago, I need to re-buy it and double check. I just remember it happening (when compared to me dying to other things) a lot.

I never beat Eggmanland because it was ridiculously long and brutal, so I never finished Unleashed. It makes me sad to know that I have a sonic game that hasn't been finished sad.png (With the exception of Sonic '06. That game is to terrible to be worth it)

I also hear the final boss (Perfect Dark Gaiya I think is the name) isn't all that great. Is this true?

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Perfect Dark Gaia was the worst final boss in a Sonic game until Time Eater rolled around.

I'll put aside my biases and say that Dark Gaia is one of the most derided bosses because it functions in phases (with loading screens between each) featuring gameplay that's both clunky, slow, and exclusive only to that boss. There's actually bits where you play normal Sonic which do function as a true test of skill, but they're relatively short and hard as nails, comparable with some bits of Eggmanland since you're on a timer. Most people don't really like Dark Gaia.

I freaking love this game.

Heck, I'm playing it right now as we speak.

However, I seriously hope that they never make the Homing Attack buttons the same as the Air Boost buttons again.

Or the Light Speed Dash the last power-up.

Edited by Son1ctrainer

Sonic Unleashed felt like a mixed bag to me.

The daytime stuff honestly felt like the best Sonic experience I'd ever had. The werehog felt like a chore and the music made me want to burn puppies. 'Nuff said.

I think what Big is trying to say is that the environments were based too much on real-world locations for him. Me personally, I don't agree. Unleashed took real-world locations and made them look Sonic-y to me, and they did a really good job of that IMO.

Sort of. Unleashed did have a little artistic flare, but it really wasn't enough.

The game doesn't look Sonic-y because it has this real world setting as opposed to the more wacky, dream-like and surreal settings of other Sonic games.

Edited by -Big the Cat-

To me, sonic team did a great job of putting sonic in the right direction but the game just fails on SO many fronts. (Chip and werehog, I'm looking at you) Only about 25% of the game is good. It went from good to guilty pleasure for me. Fortunately games after it were much better. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Sort of. Unleashed did have a little artistic flare, but it really wasn't enough.

The game doesn't look Sonic-y because it has this real world setting as opposed to the more wacky, dream-like and surreal settings of other Sonic games.

I don't think the other Sonic games were all that "Wacky/Surreal" at all.

I mean, aside from checkered hills, what makes Green Hill all that surreal?

Chemical Plant is...well, a Chemical Plant.

And are you saying Savannah Citadel didn't make your eyes bleed with how colorful it was?

Windmill Isle had beautiful ocean views and the whole architecture was a shining white.

Eggmanland was a hellish carnival and basically the ultimate death trap to Sonic.

I don't really think Sonic Unleashed is all that different, Sonic Adventure 2 though...

Green Hill Zone also had the striped grass, the rotating flowers, the squared off mesas, what have you.

Savannah Citadel looks basically like the real thing during a bloom. The baobab trees are a bit bigger than usual though.

Edited by Phos

Ugh, the Homing Attack and the Air Boost on the same button... So the gentle dash forward that comes in very handy is on the exact same button as the explosion that sends you miles off-track into a pit. Nice one.

I actually liked Eggmanland. Mainly because Dr. Robotnik has been trying to achieve this since 1999, but some sections of it are genuinely difficult, and a test of skill. It reminded me of Scrap Brain Zone. It could've been 10 minutes shorter though...

Always seemed to me as though putting the air boost ad the homing attack on the same button was meant to make it more dangerous (harder in their minds) to skip parts of the level by homing attacking across them.

Green Hill Zone also had the striped grass, the rotating flowers, the squared off mesas, what have you.

Savannah Citadel looks basically like the real thing during a bloom. The baobab trees are a bit bigger than usual though.

And I'm sure all that woodwork that Sonic blew past in Savannah Citadel was part of the real thing too.

I don't know, to me all of Unleashed looks like the right mix of Sonicy and realistic.

I think Sonic Unleashed was a perfect level of realism and fantasy with regards to representing realistic envioronment with a Sonic style.

The only thing it lacked was totally outlandish levels (with the exception of Eggmanland and maybe Skyscraper Scamper).

I think the ideal Sonic game would have a delicious buffet of Unleashed-esque levels and Colours-esque levels as you progress through the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 years later...

What do you guys think about Sonic Unleashed? It's your average 3D Sonic The Hedgehog game with the addition of the Werehog. It is the first Sonic The Hedgehog game in the series to utilize the Hedgehog Engine. In my opinion, Sonic Unleashed is without a doubt my most favorite Sonic The Hedgehog game. My reason for this? Awesome gameplay, graphics, the story, and the most important aspect ‘innovation.’ This game doesn’t get the amount of credit that it deserves. It is complete bull crap that this game gets criticized just because of the Werehog. The Werehog was a complete package, coming with innovation, action, and a whole new way to play the game. So why do people criticize SEGA for making risks and collaborating innovation? I have no idea. Plus, there’s tons of aspects of the game that are awesome. For example, it’s actually challenging, unlike the recent entries of the Sonic The Hedgehog series. Another thing is Sonic’s speed. He is outrageously fast in this game. He is probably the fastest in Sonic Unleashed. Have I not made enough reasons that this game is good? Regardless of my own opinion, many of you have your own beliefs, which I would gladly like to know. Please tell me your own opinions of Sonic Unleashed. 

SonicUnleashed2D.jpg

Edited by NHRoccodog
Changing some stuff.

Well, I'm not sure SSMB had already had this thread before.

I think Sonic Unleashed is a good game, but most people doesn't like werehog gimmicks at all.

And there were supposed to have some controversies, but it didn't happen after the game's release. Why? Because there were traditional houses in Adabat, just like in my country, but since Sonic fans thought that Adabat was inspired from just Southeast Asia, there hasn't had any controversy. I think it's too late to do it right now.

No one has any opinion about this game? Nothing at all? No one begs to differ about my said statements? 

Hey man relax it could take days before someone comments. I like the day sections and I like the Werehog sections. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because I like beat-em ups. But I just like it and I don't understand why everyone says its terrible. I can understand people saying the Wii version is bad because you have to play like 40 Werehog levels instead of like 15 compared to Xbox 360/PS3 (exaggerated numbers). I also really like the Werehog character. I like how you go around the world. I like the addition of Chip even though he kind of replaces Tails as the side kick and I dislike the exclusion of Knuckles.