Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed

Eternal EX

Something I don't get about the "Always Seeing the Prof" thing, is you could have seen Tails instead. He could have upgraded his Miles Electric with a scanning feature, like Jeremie Belpolis did with his laptop for activated towers on Code:Lyoko. Tails would be much less irritating, as he could be in the hub of the current country.

Edit: Corrected typo.

Edited by goodone121

Random fun glitch thing from me. Was playing Rooftop Run Night Act 1 the other day, hanging around here...

unleashedclocktower1.jpg

And when I looked up, unfortunately someone forgot to finish building the clock tower.

unleashedclocktower2.jpg

Was quite an amusing sight, lol. Obviously it loaded properly again once I was closer to it.

To quote the Sonic Show, Season 1, Episode 2:

Pop-up? What pop-up?

(Although this wasn't necessarily pop-up at all...)

I think these were the best graphics for any Wii game I've seen. I forget which one, but one of those nightime Chun-Nan stages was incredible! My sister actually asked me how I got those realistic pictures to work. XD

Right, sorry if this is old news but I've a question to ask.

I don't want any fanboy-ish arguments or anything on my back please (maybe that's a silly thing to ask gaming enthusiasts XD ), but recently I've been playing the PS3 version of Unleashed. I already own and have finished the 360 one, but got this game free with a Playstation console I just bought and I thought I'd blast through it before I sell it on to see if there's any differences.

The game itself feels a lot smoother to play, and my guess is that it's down to the frame rate. While the 360 frame rate was generally good, the PS3 version feels smoother for me, although a couple of times I've had a few staggers when doing simple things, such as engaging conversation with locals and buying items in shops. I haven't managed to reach Adabat or Eggman Land yet, though I guess they aren't going to have less frame drops than the 360 one due to the way the levels are built.

It could be all down to the fact, right now, I'm playing the PS3 version on my old SDTV at home, while I played the Xbox 360 version on my HDTV at University. I don't know if that affects it in any way, but I was wondering if they'd actually done some improvements in the time it took to release the PS3 version and generally improved frame rate. I'll be able to try the PS3 version on the HDTV after Easter, but I thought one of you guys might know? =P It's not a game-changing difference, just interesting that it feels smoother to play.

I own the Wii version and 360 and I gotta say that the 360 beats the Wii version in everyway.

Though I hated the Werehog since I found him so god dam boring and long.

Holoska today then!

I don't know why I'm downloading these packs, I've never bloody played them yet.

Right, sorry if this is old news but I've a question to ask.

I don't want any fanboy-ish arguments or anything on my back please (maybe that's a silly thing to ask gaming enthusiasts XD ), but recently I've been playing the PS3 version of Unleashed. I already own and have finished the 360 one, but got this game free with a Playstation console I just bought and I thought I'd blast through it before I sell it on to see if there's any differences.

The game itself feels a lot smoother to play, and my guess is that it's down to the frame rate. While the 360 frame rate was generally good, the PS3 version feels smoother for me, although a couple of times I've had a few staggers when doing simple things, such as engaging conversation with locals and buying items in shops. I haven't managed to reach Adabat or Eggman Land yet, though I guess they aren't going to have less frame drops than the 360 one due to the way the levels are built.

It could be all down to the fact, right now, I'm playing the PS3 version on my old SDTV at home, while I played the Xbox 360 version on my HDTV at University. I don't know if that affects it in any way, but I was wondering if they'd actually done some improvements in the time it took to release the PS3 version and generally improved frame rate. I'll be able to try the PS3 version on the HDTV after Easter, but I thought one of you guys might know? =P It's not a game-changing difference, just interesting that it feels smoother to play.

It's because of the different framerate caps between the versions, the 360 caps at 30 fps and the PS3 at 60 fps. This means the 360 doesn't look as fluid but is better able to keep a consistent framerate while PS3 can look really great most of the time but has much more jarring and noticeable frame drops. Hope that helps.

It's because of the different framerate caps between the versions, the 360 caps at 30 fps and the PS3 at 60 fps. This means the 360 doesn't look as fluid but is better able to keep a consistent framerate while PS3 can look really great most of the time but has much more jarring and noticeable frame drops. Hope that helps.

Ah yes, that seems like the most likely story. Pretty much sums up the questions as to why I thought this version seemed different. It helps, thanks!

I don't think I'll bother with Holoska DLC. Saving the points for OutRun and don't really have enough space on my 20GB Hard Drive to keep downloading these 500-600MB packs. =/

You're not alone. I like the Werehog too.

Count me In ,dude!Actually I play the werehog stages more often than Day stages!

I too liked the Werehog but there was definetly an un-equal ratio... too much Werehog. Plus it seemed the Werehog stages were harder. Maybe it's becuase it was something totally new but boy did they get me frustrated. Some of them were harder than the final boss(es).

Edited by prince10bee

I loved the werehog as well. I loved both hedge and were equally. The day for it's beautiful running stages and the night for the pummeling. The wii version of the werehog I slightly liked beter because of motion but the 360 version has the combos and stuff. So I guess they are even.

So I got this game for the PS3 recently. The demo was lovely and ever since it's been on my personal PS3 grab list for a while now. I saw the game for a reduced price recently and, well, I've been playing it for the past week. A lot.

I love this. This is just... wonderful. Sure it's full of insane death traps that take ages to retry to get over but god damnit it's so glorious to play through them over and over again. If only the entirely pointless life system wasn't there... The level design is beyond amazing (Rooftop Run day act 1 = one of the best Sonic levels ever) and some of the most creative in the entire series, the gameplay's goddamn fun, the visuals are oh my fucking god WOAH all the bloody time... and that's just the Sonic. The Werehog bits are really fun as well, a really nifty change of pace from the hyperspeed Sonic sections and whilst not as blissful in the visual and level design department, they're still damn fun. Plus Werehog's destructive power is just as awesome as Sonic's blue blur speed. Sure, the gameplay with both has their flaws - with Sonic it's the "level designers want you to DIE PAINFULLY AS MANY TIMES AS POSSIBLE" design that gets a bit over the top occasionally and with the Werehog it's the insanely drawn out platforming sections which wouldn't be so bad if jumping wasn't so clumsy with the hog, but they're pretty minor things in the end and only Eggmanland (where I am currently) has so far managed to make me rage with them. Plus the boss fights are really, really epic - especially with Sonic.

Also, the intro cinematic = coolest Sonic action ever.

Chip is wonderful. I love him to bits. Everyone needs more Chip in their lives. Want some chocolate?

So far the only major point of complaint for me is that the music sucks. Only a few tunes end up being even vaguely memorable but they're far, far from what the series usually has. The Werehog levels especially suffer from some really abysmal music; seriously, why the hell is the intense clobberin' being constantly soundtracked by freaking jazz of all things? The werehog's battle music is getting more annoying the more you hear it and you want to whack the enemies down ASAP just so you can restore the normally forgettable soundtrack and forget the jazzcack for a while again. The main theme I haven't heard full but the snippets haven't been really that promising. So far my favourite music's actually the one that plays at the very starting menu of the game, the 'main fanfare' so to speak. It's a really damn shame that the epic level design isn't given an equally great treatment on the audio side of things.

Well, actually there's another point of complaint too and that too is in the audio side. Tails sadly continues his VA downward spiral by having possibly the worst voice he's ever had in the entire history of the series. I don't mean to spark a 4Kids debate here, hell I'm perfectly happy with the rest of the cast, but good god Tails is male, not a middle-aged husky-voiced woman who's depressed about her job.

But yeah. I'm getting these lovely giddy Sonic vibes again. The blue hedgie's awesome and I'm being a bit fanboy-y towards him again :(. Unleashed isn't magnificently superb (I'd probably give it a 8/10 if I did ratings), but goddammit it's fun to play even with its occasional flaws.

Edited by Flint

Well, if somebody thinks of a particular version as absolutely atrocious compared to another, then why bother trying to justify its faults?

Why can't you guys think that all versions are, in their own way, FUN?!

This is true. Alot of times I see people saying the Wii version sucks because it's slower, graphically inferior etc. and, at the same time, Wii fanboys defend it and claim the 360 version suffers from horrible stage design, glitches etc.

Personally, I like both. I prefer the 360 version because it has more Sonic stages but that doesn't make the stages in the Wii version bad.

Hell, if they had 360 graphics and controls with the Wii version's Werehog stage designs I might have died from platformgasms.

Edited by Erazor

They both did some things right, and some things wrong.

I really wish that forum swipe didn’t wipe out my mega-review of both versions…. I was so proud of that post….

Anyway, I recommend buying both games, as they are different enough to warrant a multi-purchase. While I believe the PS3 version had its Wii counterpart beat, I’d be lying if I said the latter didn’t have a certain charm to its design that keeps me coming back for more.

Having actually completed the PS2 version and watched countless videos of the 360 version in action, I honestly can't think of any single advantage the low-end version has over its prettier counterpart, or even any stand-alone features that the 360 version lacks. And for those who cite "lack of hub worlds" as an advantage, is being forced to skim through several text screens honestly any better?

One or two of the controls work better in the Wii version *cough*SonicDrift*cough* and the stages are designed in a different way that a lot of people appreciate.

The biggest difference where the Wii version picks up points IMO is Eggmanland. The Wii version is a tremendous example of a great Sonic stage with an added emphasis on difficulty. The HD counterpart tried to do too much with an already busted up platforming system.

In all seriousness, you’ll miss some of the benefits of the alternate version when you pick up either one to play. I think I gave the PS3 one an 8.2 and the Wii version a 7.9 so were not talking a monstrous gap here.

The biggest difference where the Wii version picks up points IMO is Eggmanland. The Wii version is a tremendous example of a great Sonic stage with an added emphasis on difficulty. The HD counterpart tried to do too much with an already busted up platforming system.

Another praise for the Wii version I'll never get... Eggmanland was just as easy as all the other levels with the sole exception of the curvy pipe near the end. The only time it was hard was in the time trial mission which was a bit dumb due to it's mandatory-ness. And there was so much Werehog in Eggmanland Wii it just never seemed to end.

I loved 360 Eggmanland because it was so long and intense, and the rollercoaster section blew me away with the speed the first time. While final levels in Sonic stages are usually a bit longer than the others, this was something else and damn epic.

Not that Wii Eggmanland was BAD of course, (except the progress halting time trial mission anyway, TOO mean), but I still way prefer the 360 one myself.

Not an arguement of course, just my opinion.

Another praise for the Wii version I'll never get...

While I don't think it's better than the 360 version, I can understand why the Wii version gets praise, at least compared to the other stages. To quote myself (and also to post my opinion on the different gameplays, since this is the Sonic Unleashed topic and all)...

I liked the Werehog. It differs depending on what version we're talking about, though. From favorite to least favorite, my four sections are...

(Note that nothing negative in this post is intended to insult or degrade the gameplay or anyone who likes it. I'm exaggerating somewhat for effect.)

1. Sonic (PS360) - Some good fun. Heavily dependent on the stage design; a lot of the early stages are too much running and not enough actually doing something, but some of the later stages like Adabat and Eggmanland are designed pretty well with a lot to do.

2. Werehog (PS360) - Decent. Using all the different attack combos and maneuvers to defeat enemies is fun, and the stages are nicely designed with some neat gimmicks.

3. Werehog (WiiS2) - The fighting is severely dumbed down compared to the PS360 version, but aside from that, it's just as good. There's lots of innovative poles and ramps and switches that'll get your puzzle-solving skills going.

4. Sonic (WiiS2) - Ugh. Am I even playing this? I could probably put a weight on the control stick in the "Up" position and the game would beat itself. Except for Eggmanland. That stage actually had enough stuff in it to be fun.

The Werehog section of Eggmanland, actually, is something I really liked. In my opinion, it had the best platforming and fighting styles in the game, and a dangerous journey into the Earth's interior, all combined into five epic stages. It's not only the gameplay, but the concept, that makes me like it so much - all the environments add great feeling, along with the Act names. "Beyond the Factory", "To Zero Point"...it all just works to create an epic and "inside it" feel. It's incredibly hard to describe exactly what I'm talking about...

I do like the PS360 version better, however. The changing sections between Sonic and the Werehog were incredible; it's just so different compared to the other stages, and deviating from the norm like that by combining it all into one epic stage just has so much...well, feeling (there I go again). It had lots of actually difficult platforming and neat gimmicks like the disappearing glowy tiles. It's my favorite stage in the game in both versions, and for the same reason - it's the one with the most platforming, the highest difficulty, and basically the most "actually doing stuff". My current title (Speed? In MY platforming?) makes my opinion clear. :P

Oh, and for the record, I consider hub worlds an advantage. :D

EDIT: The puzzles in the Gaia Temples might count as an advantage the WiiS2 version has over the PS360.

EDIT 2: I mean, stand-alone feature!

Edited by Reading

I liked the difficulty in the PS3 Eggmanland, I just thought it was implemented the wrong way on several occasions during the stage. Many of the challenges the stage proposed were really unfair to the player. There were several blind jumps, and ridiculous sections that really pushed the line of pre-cognition. The Wii version of Eggmanland was no where near as difficult, but it managed to be really fun and kept the speed at a blistering pace for the most part.

If Sega wants to build another stage that takes an hour to beat, than I’d be all for it though.