Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed

Eternal EX

I believe that the 360 version is overall a better deal because I buy the game to play Sonic the Hedgehog, not the Werehog. The Werehog is better in the Wii version, while the daytime stages in the 360 version are a lot more fun. And since I care about the daytime stages more, I think Unleashed 360 is superior.

I've found that the Werehog is a lot less frustrating after I've beaten the game, because the Werehog was stressful for me. It was the hardest part of the game (jumping in Eggmanland), and I had to worry about actually getting past it to finish the game. Now that I've beaten the game, I can play the level, and I won't care if I die, because I know I've already beaten the game.

There were several blind jumps, and ridiculous sections that really pushed the line of pre-cognition.

Really? I don't remember any. The only part I remember that was too quick for me to react was the 9-button Quick Time about halfway through the stage, but all that happens if you fail is you have to defeat 3 more enemies. But then, I've never been one to remember "unfair" obstacles like this.

...and kept the speed at a blistering pace for the most part.

Which, in comparison to the 360 version, I don't like. :D But I'm not going to deny that Eggmanland WiiS2 was a good and fun stage. It really was.

If Sega wants to build another stage that takes an hour to beat, than I’d be all for it though.

Eggmanland took me 61 minutes to beat according to the game's timer. I like long stages too. There's just something so epic about them. I made a few half-an-hour levels in my Super Mario World ROM hacks that have gained a bit of attention among SMW hack players. :P

I've found that the Werehog is a lot less frustrating after I've beaten the game, because the Werehog was stressful for me. It was the hardest part of the game (jumping in Eggmanland), and I had to worry about actually getting past it to finish the game.

Stressful? Wouldn't that make it fun? The exhilaration of knowing that one wrong jump will send you into a pit of lava and force you to start the stage over...that only works in its purest form on your first playthrough. It makes me feel great...heh.

Edited by Reading

The PS3 Eggmanland is pure hell, wouldn't be so bad if the Werehog and Sonic levels were separated but the fact that it just keeps on going and going and going mercilessly and for the first time the deathtrap design becomes immensely frustrating. It practically forces you to grind lives before you attempt it and that's just stupid.

The first part of the Dark Gaia battle (where I am currently stuck) continues on that fine tradition. It seems like the developers thought that making a great Sonic game would have been too much for the retardedly cynical world these days so they decided to suck out all the fun from the ending portion of the game.

That said, Chip is awesome in the cutscenes. Especially the tourist snapshot part.

Edited by Flint

It practically forces you to grind lives before you attempt it and that's just stupid.

Does it? I died a hell of a lot on Eggmanland 360 but it practically throws lives at you the whole way through. Essentially it's Sonic Team saying "We made this stage bloody hard, so you're allowed infinite lives to beat it. We know getting a game over at the last minute would be annoying. Just see if you can get through it once for now and you can worry about beating it without dying to get an S rank later on if you feel like it."

It's this sort of logic that annoyed me with Wii Eggmanland though - due to the time trial mission that said to me "Well done, you beat the level... but you're not allowed to continue until you've mastered it as well."

Reading: I do agree, the Wii Werehog Eggmanland levels were epic in their own special way. I must admit I also liked the way Wii Eggmanland was a lot darker and grittier than the very red, ever so slightly cartooney 360 version. Didn't prefer it but it was a nice difference that gave the finale a very different tone on the Wii.

Still having a living hell with the Hard Boiled achievement. Haven't even got the first goddamn dog, probably cause I want to speedrun like a dumbfuck, being impatient, taking super fancy shortcuts when I even have 75 whole minutes to finish the ordeal.

Out of curiosity why is this topic still in the Upcoming Games forum?

Does it? I died a hell of a lot on Eggmanland 360 but it practically throws lives at you the whole way through.

Only at a few select points, it's the moments between those points when there isn't a life near a checkpoint until the next one are the evil parts.

It's a shame more of Eggmanland 360 wasn't normal Sonic; then I'd be challenged and have more fun at the same time.

Edited by OvErLoRd Darkspine

Only at a few select points, it's the moments between those points when there isn't a life near a checkpoint until the next one are the evil parts.

There are some nasty points where the game seemingly wills you to death, but I will admit that these death traps become exponentially more reasonable the second or third time around.

It might just be that I’m getting really good at the game, or because I now know what to expect, but the frustration levels are far lower.

The fist time I beat Eggmanland(PS3) I clocked in at around 62 min. I was mad/frustrated

The very next time I took the stage on, I whittled my time down to 42 min. I felt good about myself.

My times have continuously gotten lower and lower.

One odd thing I'd like to add as a Wii version owner is after playing through the whole game with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk I tried using the classic controller just to see what it was like and well... I hated it. Maybe I've just gotten so used to the default controls but trying to play either Sonic or the Werehog with the classic controller just felt uncomfortable. In fact the only thing I did like was having a dedicated dash button. The Wiimote and Nunchuk control scheme could have really done with having the 'C' button as dash or something so you could attack without wasting dash energy. Only a small niggle though. I'm sure people who loath the new play style adored the inclusion of the classic controller controls. I'm just a weirdo who happens to prefer the Wii remote controls, waggle and all.

Regardless of it's inferiority I still love the Wii version to bits. My biggest hatred is that Dimps and Sonic Team never got a chance to finish it properly. I'd have loved to have seen what the day stages in Mazuri could have been like on the Wii and the Night stages too. Also Dimps take on Empire City would have been interesting to see for comparison. This is the one great and terrible thing about Unleashed on Wii, it's unfinished but still brilliant. It just needed... more. Damn shame really.

I also really don't mind the Werehog at all. I'm recently going through all my unfinished missions to get the remaining sun and moon medals.

One odd thing I'd like to add as a Wii version owner is after playing through the whole game with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk I tried using the classic controller just to see what it was like and well... I hated it. Maybe I've just gotten so used to the default controls but trying to play either Sonic or the Werehog with the classic controller just felt uncomfortable. In fact the only thing I did like was having a dedicated dash button. The Wiimote and Nunchuk control scheme could have really done with having the 'C' button as dash or something so you could attack without wasting dash energy. Only a small niggle though. I'm sure people who loath the new play style adored the inclusion of the classic controller controls. I'm just a weirdo who happens to prefer the Wii remote controls, waggle and all.

Personally I find myself preferring GCN controller for daytime levels, but I prefer the Wiimote and Nunchuk for nighttime. I stick with the latter option since you can't change without returning to the title screen, alas.

Wiimote and Nunchuck for me. I never actually tried the cube controller because I got used to playing with the motion controls ect. Besides, if I ever want to play with a traditional gaming pad, than I boot up the PS3 variant.

I really couldn’t imagine the game with the gamcube pad though…. maybe I’ll give it a spin tomorrow.

The Wii version is horrible compared to tne 360 version. There were to many werehog levels and not alot of Sonic levels. Plus they didn't put any downloadable levels on it

Sonic Unleashed is one of the best Sonic games since lot of years and yet it's worser than Sonic'06 compairing with Gamespot's reviews! <.<

929717_69768.jpg4.4

poor

945571_100953.jpg3.5

bad

Gamespot are stupid!

It's absolutely fucking ridiculous. It's managed to become my 2nd favortie Sonic ever, yet it's rated as the worst Sonic game yet. That's just stupid.

This is why I don't listen to reviewers when it comes to sonic games. (except black knight i knew that was crap) Its been proven, critics hate sonic in 3D. Nuff said.

Now how 06's score beat unleashed...I will never know.

Sonic Unleashed is one of the best Sonic games since lot of years and yet it's worser than Sonic'06 compairing with Gamespot's reviews! <.<

929717_69768.jpg4.4

poor

945571_100953.jpg3.5

bad

Gamespot are stupid!

Yeah. Where the hell did that come from? Whether the game was cheap or not, that doesn't change the fact that it had polish. '06 was just plain unfinished. Unleashed didn't have glitches that blocked you from following the main path to the end of the stage.

Really, the only reviews I liked for Unleashed were the ones from GameInformer and Play magazine.

Edited by Erazor

I actually thought pretty much every Sonic score besides Unleashed's was fair, they were all generally bad games. I still don't understand the extreme hate for Sonic Unleashed.

One or two of the controls work better in the Wii version *cough*SonicDrift*cough* and the stages are designed in a different way that a lot of people appreciate.

The biggest difference where the Wii version picks up points IMO is Eggmanland. The Wii version is a tremendous example of a great Sonic stage with an added emphasis on difficulty. The HD counterpart tried to do too much with an already busted up platforming system.

In all seriousness, you’ll miss some of the benefits of the alternate version when you pick up either one to play. I think I gave the PS3 one an 8.2 and the Wii version a 7.9 so were not talking a monstrous gap here.

I agree with those points. I felt the controls in the Wii version felt more solid in the Wii version then in the 360 version the SonicDrift is the main thing it felt a lot better. And yes Eggman Land in the Wii version was a joy to play through but the 360 version was hell for me, i never want to play through that level again.

Sonic Unleashed definitely doesn't deserve the hate it gets; it really is a decent Sonic game. But it's really not enough. If Sega really cares about how Sonic is perceived, then they're going to have to do more than produce one decent game to soothe the disappointment of players. The only way I can see this happening is letting Sonic taking a break for a few years before coming back with a fresher start. Otherwise, every single Sonic game is going to be considered shit, and to be honest, after all the mediocre games Sonic has had lately, I don't really blame these people for thinking so.

Hell, even though the Advance and Rush games are absolutely nothing like the Genesis games at all (bar the original Sonic Advance), people still lap that shit up because they have the mindset that 2D is the only way Sonic can be good, regardless of actual game quality. At this point, not many people are very openhearted to Sonic's transition in 3D.

Really sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just found an awesome glitch in the PS3 version of Unleashed! (Not so sure about the 360 version- I never found it on my first run-though anyhoo.)

I'm in the Chun-Nan hub world and have just picked up the Air Boost Shoes (for those who don't know, this power up allows the player to boost while in the air, obviously.) Around the shoes are eight rings placed in a circle, of which re-spawn when collected. This is done as the player needs ring energy to use the boost, and the boost is required to reach the day-time stage entrance. Rather than leaving the players stuck if they don't make the jump the first time, Sonic Team made the rings re-appear to be re-collected if more ring energy is needed.

Here's where it gets interesting. The first ring in the sequence of 8 next to the '?' help icon and the last ring (the one underneath) more or less give you a constant stream of rings if you make movement over them. Simply collect the ring and walk slightly to the left and right over the rings trigger, you can end up with thousands! I was testing the in-game ring counter, and currently it's at 10157 rings. Baffling!

Edit - Just exit the Hub world and gone back in, they re-appear but the first and last rings no longer give you tonnes. =(

Here's where it gets interesting. The first ring in the sequence of 8 next to the '?' help icon and the last ring (the one underneath) more or less give you a constant stream of rings if you make movement over them. Simply collect the ring and walk slightly to the left and right over the rings trigger, you can end up with thousands! I was testing the in-game ring counter, and currently it's at 10157 rings. Baffling!

Man that is picture worthy. A glitch like that can really help you win some of those Who can collect the most rings bar bets.

Why did Sonic Team even install a ring counter that goes that high anyway? That’s such a waste of time.

On second thought, I guess they’ll do anything to get out of working Super Sonic into the levels…. <_<

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Really sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just found an awesome glitch in the PS3 version of Unleashed! (Not so sure about the 360 version- I never found it on my first run-though anyhoo.)

I'm in the Chun-Nan hub world and have just picked up the Air Boost Shoes (for those who don't know, this power up allows the player to boost while in the air, obviously.) Around the shoes are eight rings placed in a circle, of which re-spawn when collected. This is done as the player needs ring energy to use the boost, and the boost is required to reach the day-time stage entrance. Rather than leaving the players stuck if they don't make the jump the first time, Sonic Team made the rings re-appear to be re-collected if more ring energy is needed.

Edit - Just exit the Hub world and gone back in, they re-appear but the first and last rings no longer give you tonnes. =(

Would you be able to show us a video or an image of the ring counter after the glitch is done, it sounds really odd. Also are you able to do the glitch multiple times to get more than that amount?

Would you be able to show us a video or an image of the ring counter after the glitch is done, it sounds really odd. Also are you able to do the glitch multiple times to get more than that amount?

I wish I'd taken a video now, I was playing it at around 2am this morning and just didn't have the energy too. XD

I tried again but, surprisingly it only seemed to be the one off. =/ I remember collecting all the other rings in the area first (I was trying to get as many as I could to afford the TV in Spagonia), but even in doing that the rings don't glitch out any more.

All I can figure, is it either only happens when you're first able to pick up the Air Boost Shoes, or that it was simply a one off. At first when the glitch happened, I thought I was collecting rings through the floor from underneath, but thinking about it you cannot access the area underneath that mountain. I ended up with 10200 rings or something by the end of it, and bought 99 Chilli Dogs for EXP and the TV set. XD

I guess the ring counter must go as high as the counter on the map screen. If I encounter the glitch again, I'll take a video. If anyone gets to the air boot part before I do next, be sure to check it out and let us know it wasn't my copy of the game spazzing out or something. XD

At first, I was glad the Wii version had only text-based hubs, but now I wish I could get the PS360 version and see all these glitches for myself. YouTube's just not the same.

Oh, it looks like someone has a low quality version of the glitch on YouTube already. XD Looks like it might just be the PS3 version after all!