Awoo.

A Sonic game directed by Christian 'Taxman' Whitehead

LindseyWalker

How would you guys feel about a new Sonic game that's directed by Christian 'Taxman' Whitehead? He's resonsible for the excellent ports of Sonic 1 and 2 to IOS as well as the superb Sonic CD port. This level, which is almost made entirely by him other than the Sprite Work by original artist Craig Stitt, is a good indication of his current professional skill in Sonic, rather than that one fangame he made years back:

He's a very talented individual and I think he would be excellent as a director for Sonic. He has demonstrably shown that he has the engine and physics totally under control with his 'Retro Engine', which is far more competent than any Sonic engine SEGA's put out in numerous years. He's a commercial success, with the good word of his remakes selling the games on the IOS platform partly on his own good merit. His games are also beautifully presented and have lots of fan-service that is always well implemented and never seem over the top, such as including additional characters, extra modes such as Boss Rush and revising cut content. The only problem I have with his output is the Hidden Palace Boss, but perhaps he could work with someone more suitable at making bosses.

We've never seen him make a fully-fledged Sonic game because, until now, he's never had a chance! I say that if he got the chance to lead a group of skilled designers than he would make a truly special Sonic game that could perhaps stand side by side proudly with the Classics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I’ve been wanting this to happen for quite a while now. I’ve always been a fan of Taxman’s work, even before the remastered releases. I remember playing an early version of a fangame he was making called Retro Sonic years ago (maybe 2007?) and thought that it was really impressive. It completely nailed the look and feel of a classic Sonic game. I would absolutely love to see an evolution of that as an official Sonic release.

The remasters have shown an improvement in his skills and the “Retro Engine” as a whole, and as much as I love those (especially the inclusion of Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2), it just makes me want to see an original game with this engine so much more. As someone who is admittedly a classic fanboy (although I do like a lot of the modern stuff as well), one of the things that I would like to see happen the most for the future of this series would be Sega giving Taxman (and possibly Stealth as well) the chance at making an official, original classic-styled Sonic game. Although sadly, I don’t expect this actually happening any time soon. There’s always hope though, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

I been wanting that idea to happen for some years now. The dude really knows how to put a good classic style Sonic game together IMO. Remaster games are nice & stuff... however I think Sega really should do a new retro style Sonic branch with genesis style graphics... Basically like how capcom was doing with Megaman 10, ETC.... I know Sega kinda tried this with Sonic 4.... but that was a somewhat lazy and uninspired effort... and did not even use pixel art... not that it absolutely has to... but you know what i mean.

If they actually did such a retro branch.... I think 1 game like that every 3 years be good.

Making a game from scratch is not the same as taking a pre existing game and designs and updating it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'd expect something a hell of a lot better than anything Sonic Team's put out in years, as far as 2D Sonic goes, but I'm not entirely sure what he's got to push the games beyond the Genesis. That's not meant as a slight against him or anything, and I'd be thrilled if he could give us "the Sonic 4 we actually wanted", but I feel like it'd end up being one good classic-style game, then Sonic Team going back to their usual crap and the series is still stuck in the same place.

• Thumbs Up 4

Making a game from scratch is not the same as taking a pre existing game and designs and updating it.

I'm aware, but he's mentioned that he's working on his own independent game so this isn't some random hacker so to speak. Keep in mind that the engine the game is running on is entirely made by Whitehead himself.

He's probably not an amazing pixel artist and I'm not sure how good his level design is. It doesn't matter, because he wouldn't be doing either. He would be a lead programmer directing a team of talented people.

He's got the vision and he's got the programming talent. 

I'd expect something a hell of a lot better than anything Sonic Team's put out in years, as far as 2D Sonic goes, but I'm not entirely sure what he's got to push the games beyond the Genesis. That's not meant as a slight against him or anything, and I'd be thrilled if he could give us "the Sonic 4 we actually wanted", but I feel like it'd end up being one good classic-style game, then Sonic Team going back to their usual crap and the series is still stuck in the same place.

That's something that would probably happen, unfortunately. Still, I would rather see a good Classic style game come out of him rather than not anything at all!

• Thumbs Up 2

I would first want him to make Sonic 3 remastered.

But I would be very excited if he would be able to make completely new Sonic game, yes it would definetely be 2D game and maybe just "the real Sonic 4" but I would at this point be happy with that, I mean last time SEGA really made classic style 2D Sonic was with Sonic Advance and I would definetely want a new one. I also believe that Taxman would have one advantage, he knows what made Sonic good better than Sonic Team.

The problem with that is there seems to be multiple legal problems swimming around Sonic3&K. Unless they can get past them, it otherwise be a better idea to just skip it... instead of waiting forever for the small chance for a game that is yet another remaster of a game that lots of us have played a crazy ton of times.

The problem with that is there seems to be multiple legal problems swimming around Sonic3&K. Unless they can get past them, it otherwise be a better idea to just skip it... instead of waiting forever for the small chance for a game that is yet another remaster of a game that lots of us have played a crazy ton of times.

I don't quite know why people think this. Sure, you have the whole music conspiracy, but other than the misinformation that Michael Jackson was involved (there's literally no evidence whatsoever that his idea ever got past initial stages) there's no real legal issues that aren't speculation with past composers like Brad Buxer. Sonic 3 is on multiple Console Stores and is on multiple Compilation Products. I think the reason they haven't made the decision to release it on IOS is because Sonic 3 was always the least commercially popular and something like Sonic Dash is so incredibly lucrative to continue work on.

I don't quite know why people think this.

Probably because at least 1 of the guys who worked on them said there is I think.

"Over time, word has reached me from various sources that there is a legal issue of some sort regarding Sonic 3. Naturally, I don’t have any more solid information, since I’m not involved with the issue itself, however, it should come as no surprise because there had long been rumors of legal issues regarding some of the music that have reached the public from multiple sources. More recently, Cirocco Jones mentioned in early 2012 that there was a lawsuit “going on or about to go on” in relation to Sonic 3, and referred an interviewer to Bobby Brooks, who responded very negatively to being asked anything at all about it. Both quotes can be found here. Some people believe that this is in conflict with more recent releases of the game and the fact that they are still available, however, the last release of Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) was for Steam in 2011, the year immediately preceding the point at which Cirocco Jones mentioned actual, in-progress legal action, and about two years before the Sonic 1 remaster was begun. Also it’s not unreasonable to believe that whatever is happening doesn’t actually require SEGA to remove existing releases since we don’t know specifically what the dispute is and what terms may be in the works."

http://www.sonicretro.org/2015/02/regarding-sonic-3-guest-post-by-stealth/

That is true, there would definitely be a lot more work required for something like this. Although at the very least, they've got an engine to work off of already, so it wouldn't be starting completely from scratch.

Even though Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favorite game in the series, I'd personally be fine if it went without the same remaster treatment that Sonic 1, 2, and CD got. The extras would be nice, sure, but I feel like the game's pretty much already perfect how it is. Also, if there is in fact legal stuff regarding the music and they had to change a significant portion of it, then, it really wouldn't quite be the same. I'd just rather they focus on something new and original anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've heard of this supposed legal issue but it can't be that big of a deal for SEGA to have been able to have released Sonic 3 tons of times in the past and still have the game available for download everywhere can it? I really do feel the legal issues with Sonic 3's music is massively blown out of proportion.

Edited by LindseyWalker

I've heard of this supposed legal issue but it can't be that big of a deal for SEGA to have been able to have released Sonic 3 tons of times in the past and still have the game available for download everywhere can it? I really do feel the legal issues with Sonic 3's music is massively blown out of proportion.

if i'm remembering correctly, i read on Sonic Retro that almost all, if not all, of the rereleases were before the current legal issues (which started in 2012/2013). i mean, i might be misremembering what they said, but i'm pretty sure Sonic 3 hasn't been properly rereleased in years.

Edited by Penny

if i'm remembering correctly, i read on Sonic Retro that almost all, if not all, of the rereleases were before the current legal issues (which started in 2012/2013). i mean, i might be misremembering what they said, but i'm pretty sure Sonic 3 hasn't been properly rereleased in years.

Even if this is true, it doesn't explain why Sonic 3 hasn't been pulled from stores. Take Donkey Kong on Wii, when presumed problems with Microsoft had the classic Donkey Kong Country games pulled. Although, admittedly, this is also guess-work.

Taxman would make for the best Sonic game in years, no doubt. Tax understands not only the game mechanics to a tee, but also how to make classic Sonic style visual and level layout design. His work on Desert Dazzle and Final Fever (the unused stages in the SCD remake) were gorgeous and both Hidden Palace and Egg Gauntlet from the Sonic 2 remake are brilliantly laid out.

DesertDazzle_CW.jpgPicture-7.png

I just don't expect him to get the rights to do such a thing any time soon. I'll remain hopeful he'll be given that chance however. Someday...

• Thumbs Up 9

I would love to see this happen. I'm still a little miffed that the Sonic 1 and 2 remakes didn't come to Windows Phone *sigh* but what does? But I enjoyed the Sonic CD release that I happily bought it another 2 times on different consoles/devices. 

So I'd give him a chance. Surely it's better than having SEGA or DIMPS making the next 2D Sonic game!

My opinion on this has always been "Cool I guess, but I don't give much of a crap about 2D Sonic, so, eh?" I'd like to see him take a stab at a 3D game, but I doubt that'll happen -- I don't think he cares much about 3D Sonic games, then again I don't pretend to know the guy either.

I remember Taxman saying that he didn't want to be just "the port/remake guy", that he wanted to make something entirely new.

Given his work on his Retro Engine, I would gladly give him a position at directing a Sonic game if I was the boss around.

Even if this is true, it doesn't explain why Sonic 3 hasn't been pulled from stores. Take Donkey Kong on Wii, when presumed problems with Microsoft had the classic Donkey Kong Country games pulled. Although, admittedly, this is also guess-work.

Because there's no alterations to them so they're just the same 1993 game made available, unlike a remaster.

Also, reminder that Taxman only did Sonic CD. 1 and 2 are Taxman AND Stealth, who gets unfairly forgotten most times.

Why stay chained to the Sonic franchise? Let him make his own games, and if necessary channel Sonic influences into them ala Freedom Planet. If Sega takes notice and decides they want in on that after all, well that's just a happy side effect that works out well for both parties.

I mean.....at least we will get one good game again instead of getting no good games at all, I mean the end result is still the same, Sonic stays shitty, but at least one possible future has one good thing

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be cool to see a game made by him. Granted, he'll need a bigger crew to make it obviously.

But if such a game was announced, I'd have high hopes.

• Thumbs Up 1