Awoo.

The current state of Sonic has me not wanting to play recent Sonic games

VolatileMike

However you did say level designers... wait... what did they make that had good humor? I would think anything story wise was done by the main writers.

Think he's referring to a few things like City Escape's GUN truck getting decked out with giant saws and rockets.. Which I actually praise Generations for, and I'm one of those guys who didn't really like it.

It's an exaggeration, so funny, but while being badass if you don't try to think much about how nonsense it is. But even the original GUN truck was total nonsense, but badass.

• Thumbs Up 1

However you did say level designers... wait... what did they make that had good humor? I would think anything story wise was done by the main writers.

Y'know, the stuff with the GUN truck, piranha chasing Sonic, the Exit sign in Crisis City flying away by the tornado.
That's fun stuff, I dig that.
Just not the actual writing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, the stuff with the GUN truck, piranha chasing Sonic, the Exit sign in Crisis City flying away by the tornado.That's fun stuff, I dig that.
Just not the actual writing.

I agree... but  I didn't find the huge piranha in green hill chasing Sonic to be funny. it didn't get much a reaction out of me.

And I guess you could count it funny hitting the Eggman Death egg mech on it's butt from the boss battle... Personally I would like see a lot more humor in the actual levels then we get currently.

It would certainly be a good idea to give levels some personality, whether it's action setpieces like in Adventure 2 or Heroes or comical/trollish ones like Classic Crisis City.

• Thumbs Up 1

And how Rouge can make robots fall in love with her.
Fantastic.
Humor that celebrates what Sonic's universe is instead of dismissing it.

Edited by Roger_van_der_weide
  • Thumbs Up 1

Humor that celebrates what Sonic's universe is instead of dismissing it.

THIS! Absolutely this!

This is what Sonic humor should be, it should bombastic, it should be over-the-top but it should never, NEVER be this awkward style that detaches the lore and characters.

And this is why I feel that Sonic Boom is just drastic and interesting take on the series than the common eye would look at.

As Roger himself said about Shenmue, it's about the celebration of the mundane but in Boom's case, that and a lot of parts of satire, self-awareness and overall trope deconstruction. Bill Freiberger himself said that how he would write things, he would like to put a twist on a trope and I feel this is a common thing that the Boom show does in a lot of episodes, whether it's by Reid Harrison, Denton & Hahn and the couple other writers that wrote like, 1 or 2 episodes.

I laughed at the idea of Sonic characters dealing with common real-life issues like setting up a restaurant, passing laws, guilt-tripping, having a pet and MUCH, much more. And this is why Roger's latest Boom video is something I strongly recommend others to watch since it's quite a revelation on how I look at the Boom show and I'm actually very convinced that this is probably what Freiberger and the rest of the Boom team is doing with the show.

Ah geez, me being sentimental again. Dammit, why do I love Sonic so much?! XD

I think the main factor in me not often going back to the more recent titles (Say, over the past five years or so) is due to them not having a lot of longevity to them due to how...empty they are.

Even years later, I find myself going back to games like SA2 and Unleashed because they have staying factor in how they present loads and loads and loads to do.

More recent games don't harbor such lasting appeal.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm in a fairly similar boat myself. Generations is what got me fully into the series, and made me go further back to play all the other Sonic games. I really enjoyed playing Sonic games from that period, until around the point Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric hit the shelves.

Since then? I've scarcely touched a Sonic game in what has been nearly a year at this point, which is kinda depressing. I just think I've lost touch with the series, because I really don't want to keep getting burned with horrible games by a truly incompetent publisher and developer. I simply can not force myself to enjoy 3D Sonic especially, aside from Generations and segments of Sonic Advenure/Unleashed (Sonic's story and certain daytime stages).

I'll be pleasantly surprised when a Sonic game comes out, and is well constructed in nearly every regard. I can acknowledge the classic 2D Sonic games as being legitimately well made games, but they weren't really my sort of game, if that makes any sense. I might go back and play them again, if I want to give any Sonic game another go, so perhaps I'll enjoy them more after a long break from touching any of them.  It's going to take a lot of for the 25th anniversary to pull me back into the series, though.