Awoo.

The deal with going third party

Miko

Over at the "Email for SEGA topic" I got reminded of how much I hear a lot of people complain about the quality of Sonic games. They have a lot of grandiose ideas and blame Sonic Team for not listening in a way that they would've liked. But one thing I don't hear anyone talk about is how utterly unrealistic it must be for some of these expectations not to come out half assed because these folks are on deadlines which probably ask for them to upchuck games quickly. A Final Fantasy esque story that some people want isn't made in a few hours unless you're an incredibly talented writer. Mix in a lot of deadlines and a bunch of uninspired, sweatshop worked developers over at Sonic Team and your Final Fantasy story becomes Sonic Unleashed or Sonic 06. And the pressure over deadlines is probably not just from SEGA, but from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo who can call the shots because they make the consoles. Mario/Mario related games like Brawl if necessary can have a game release delayed and has had this happen several times because they don't have to answer to anyone besides Nintendo, and ontop of this the quality of his games represent the company.

Edited by Miko
  • Thumbs Up 1

EDIT:..........Damn, I'm having a pretty bad case of the st00p1dz lately. >_<; My fault.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

No, Virgo, it happens all the time. Remeber that Sonic 06 came out on 360 before the PS3 was even out? Yeah, some have speculated (there may be proof, I don't remember) that Microsoft told SEGA to release the game on 360 before the PS3 was out so that they could get the most sales. And say, they might want a game to be released during a ceertain time, like the Christmas period. If the third parties don't comply they may just turn around and say "You and your game can get lost.". Fairly normal play.

EDIT: On that note, if deadlines are set by say Nintendo or Microsoft and SEGA wants longer then they will have to pay for the extra time.

Edited by Blue Blood

No, Virgo, it happens all the time. Remeber that Sonic 06 came out on 360 before the PS3 was even out? Yeah, some have speculated (there may be proof, I don't remember) that Microsoft told SEGA to release the game on 360 before the PS3 was out so that they could get the most sales. And say, they might want a game to be released during a ceertain time, like the Christmas period. If the third parties don't comply they may just turn around and say "You and your game can get lost.". Fairly normal play.

EDIT: On that note, if deadlines are set by say Nintendo or Microsoft and SEGA wants longer then they will have to pay for the extra time.

That explains why the game looked unfinished. It was because they were trying to rush it out to the 360 for Christmas time. SEGA could have fixed it up for PS3 release too but that must have been rushed too so it can be released around time for after Xmas sales, which was the case in January 2007 (when the PS3 version was released)

You have a very good point there Miko. We all know Microsoft is notorious for trying to get exclusive versions of multiplatform games. Personally, I think Sonic would be best as an exclusive franchise to Nintendo. (Don't kill me people!) Sonic fits right in with Mario in my opinion. I've been a fan of both equally since I was a kid. I would love to see SEGA and Nintendo work together on a Sonic game. One that isn't Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Games or SSB. I mean a true Sonic game. I think it could be epic. But as far as storylines go, it probably wouldn't be the greatest. Nintendo are about as good as Sonic Team when it comes to stories. Nintendo doesn't even know the true order that the Zelda games go in. But they know how to make really fun games. And when it comes down to it, that is what Sonic needs. FUN GAMES!

A lot of people hated the Sonic Adventure games, but I think they were great. I could have done without the Big the Cat levels, but other than that, I liked them. I even liked the Knuckles levels.

The first Sonic game to disappoint me was Sonic Heroes. Hmm, that was the first multiplatform Sonic game. And it really shows that it was rushed out. I remember playing the first level in a demo and I ran right through a wall and died. When I got the final version of the game, the same thing happened. And what's with Tails' poor grammar? "Look at all those Eggman's robots." WTF? lol

Sonic Team needs to sit back and make a new Sonic game without telling anyone about it and spend a couple of years on it. Then one day just throw it at us. Nintendo delayed Ocarina of Time for about 2 years and it really payed off. Wind Waker was rushed out and it also showed. It was still good but they replaced a few temples with stupid hunts for Triforce shards. I'm perfectly fine waiting a couple of years for a good quality game.

And I still have faith that SEGA will eventually give us a high quality Sonic game that will blow us all away. Sonic isn't dead yet. Far from it.

Okay I'm just rambling on now so I'll shut up. lol

I used to think that becoming a third party couldn't be blamed for the chronically poor running Sonic games, but then I found out just how easy the Dreamcast was to develop for. Not only did it have VRAM to spare, but it's graphics chip had hardware accelerated occlusion culling, a capability that substantially simplified programming graphics engines on it. Making it easy to develop for was one of Sega's top priorities, something that Sony could stand to learn.

I don't think that it's a matter of "don't listen to the fans" I would simply make it a matter of not listening to fans who don't seem to consider such things in the slightest. It's not good enough to simply make a demand. Some benefit to the company and methods to make the idea easy to execute given SEGA's present position must also be considered.