Awoo.

The King of Fighters XIV (PS4, PC 2016-2017)

Teoskaven

Announced at TGS 2015.

CO7Whk6UYAAyoH_.png

Official site: http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/

I seriously wasn't expecting this, especially considering SNK isn't having a good financial situation recently. I guess this is their last bet.

Anyway, yeah, King of Fighters is back and now it's in 3D.

...and people are already complaining about the graphics. Great.

My real question is: can we get once again a Metal Slug character as a guest fighter like we had with Fio?

• Thumbs Up 3

Kinda surprised that they abandoned it after they sunk so much time and money into XII and XIII. Real shame, but it was probably a sunk costs fallacy anyway.

Was not expecting Maximum Impact 3, but hell, I'll take it. Gonna miss the bitchin' spritework, but I hope the gameplay's good enough to make up for it.

Considering that SNK's been hurtin' for money, I have a feeling that a lot of my mains aren't gonna make it. Hell, because of the story from last game, Ash Crimson's probably gonna be gone : (

But I mean, only time can tell right now.

I'm at least happy the series gets one more shot. I thought the series might have ended at KoF XIII. Wouldn't have been the worst place to end it on, in fact, I loved that one, but I'm happy I'm wrong regardless.

I just hope this is a Dream Match game. If what's said about SNK's situation is true, then I think it'd be best if it didn't start any new story arcs. Or even if it's a canon game, it be a standalone story. 

Either way, I don't think they should set up any new plot points for any future games, since the future is uncertain.

I understand why they have to resort to using 3D models as it's way less costy to make but idunno, part of the charm for the KoF is the excellent sprite work because it's pretty rare to see a full on sprites based fighting game nowadays. I do hope they get most of the cast from the last game to make up for it.

Just thought I'd mention, since people keep talking about SNK's "financial situation" that they were bought over by another company a couple of years ago.

Was not expecting Maximum Impact 3, but hell, I'll take it.

It's probably as much Maximum Impact 3 as Street Fighter 4 was Street Fighter EX4.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

PSX trailer:

Roster confirmed to have 50 characters. Ralf, Billy Kane, Angel, Kula and King showed up.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

If they can bring back Angel, I'm sure we'll see Vanessa possibly along with the other Agent Team members (unless Ramon joins team Mexico or something).

Anyway, with 50 characters at launch the most ever for a non-dream match game, I'm sure we'll be seeing the return of a lot of characters that weren't in XIII, hopefully my boy Yamazaki will return.

• 1 month later...

Next batch of characters revealed: K’, Benimaru Nikaido and Robert Garcia.

• 3 weeks later...

New trailer for KoF 14

The four character that are revealed:

- King of Dinosaurs (Presumably to be Tizoc under a new "Heel" persona due to them having similar moves and voices)

- Maxima

- Clark Still

- Terry Bogard

Here's small descriptions about the characters from the PlayStation blog

King of Dinosaurs
An evil and mysterious “heel” (a.k.a. a “rudo” in lucha libre) wrestler who wears a tyrannosaurus mask appears! Is he about to devour all the veteran fighters?
Human or beast? Who hides behind the mask?!

Maxima
The mechanized body returns to battle! Powerful enough to be a huge Guard Point, he is a true marvel of NESTS Technology!

Clark Still
After a bit of a “diet,” this Ikari Warrior returns to the ring as well. Could it have been thanks to Heidern’s Boot Camp? Mastering a variety of grappling moves, Clark is back and ready to break some backs.

Terry Bogard
“Get in the Ring!” The original Hungry Wolf and favorite of Fatal Fury fans can’t be missed!

• 2 weeks later...

That Terry attire predates from the first Fatal Fury, which is awesome, and that "Get in the Ring!" is a nod of Real Bout 2 and that 91 label is the year of the first Fatal Fury was released, the thing is, Fatal Fury will be 25 years old this year like Sonic and I think KOF 14 is a nice opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

Next batch of characters in the next trailer:

*Chin Gentsai

*Choi Bounge

*Tung Fu Rue

And here's the next teaser, featuring two more veterans (Kim and Vice) plus a new character (Sylvie Paula Paula):

The more I think about it (and the more I attempt to play the PC port of XIII before repeatedly giving up and going back to Ultra IV), the more I think this is a better move. Currently many of the models still look kind of sterile and generic (not anywhere near as bad as Maximum Impact was in that regard, at least; but nothing at all approaching SFIV) and 2007-PS3-game like, but god damn XIII had ugly ass art direction and wonky spritework to the point that it made it harder to play; and I don't think I would have bought another KoF game unless they redid everything anyway.

Those Sprites held back XIII more than anything, and it ending up costing them dearly. It's a miracle that SNK manage to bounce back in the first place.

Here's the next trailer with one more veteran (Athena Asamiya) and two new characters (Luong and Nelson):

• 2 weeks later...

The next trailer has 2 new characers: Mui Mui (apparently she's from a pachinko SNK machine) and Kukri (a mix between Kan-Ra from Killer Instinct, Smoke from Mortal Kombat, and Alex Mercer from Prototype).

• 3 weeks later...

This plays really, really good. It's the first one since XI where the characters have felt like they had real weight to them, and the first since 2000 that didn't run too fast for its own good.

Some of the character designs are a little wonky, but nowhere near as bad as Falcoon's crap in MI and not a trace of the moe blobiness kf the recent two. Also seems to revert to the 1997-2000 control schemes, mostly.

FYI, it's my understanding the the sprites in xiii or which ever was the last one were just low res renders from a 3D model.

• 1 year later...