Awoo.

Ace Attorney's Alliterative Anime

Klinsy

"Your honor, I have to something to present to the SSMB!"

latest?cb=20140217205639PlMZGHM.jpg

After years of demand, an Ace Attorney anime is finally happening.

It will be based on the original trilogy, no word on Apollo or Investigations based episodes yet, it's due to air in April 2016.

I hope it gets a dub!

By the way, thanks Nix.

Edited by Birthday Cat
  • Thumbs Up 8

I am so crazy excited for this, you wouldn't believe.  I hope the pacing is better than the usual anime adaptation.  At least, better than the Tales of Symphonia anime complete abridging.

• Thumbs Up 1

A completely original story might not be a bad idea, as they could tailor it to the anime format.  I think it's more likely to be a direct adaptation of existing material, though, which is a little concerning; I'm not sure how suited for animation a story is which chiefly consists of hours and hours of people standing still and talking at each other across a room.  Just look at the problems the Danganronpa anime had.  But on the other hand, the fact that this is years late in relation to the material it relates to (judging from the original trilogy designs) suggests to me that it's unlikely to be an on-the-cheap promo anime as so many adaptations are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yay, no Apollo or Athena! HTdO6Gq.png

I hope this is is good. I expect it to adapt the games, but maybe have some original cases, too, depending how long they want this to go. I can't wait to see Godot. Though, this could very well simply be an adaption of the first game.

A completely original story might not be a bad idea, as they could tailor it to the anime format.  I think it's more likely to be a direct adaptation of existing material, though, which is a little concerning; I'm not sure how suited for animation a story is which chiefly consists of hours and hours of people standing still and talking at each other across a room.  Just look at the problems the Danganronpa anime had.  But on the other hand, the fact that this is years late in relation to the material it relates to (judging from the original trilogy designs) suggests to me that it's unlikely to be an on-the-cheap promo anime as so many adaptations are.

It probably wouldn't be simply standing still and talking to each other, since the series has investigations that can go on during interviews.  Phoenix talks to suspect about something, while looking through their home to find evidence, etc. etc. and of course, we can't forget the number of times Phoenix has secretly taken evidence, so there would plenty of suspense in his attempts to talk his way into getting that evidence or waiting for just the right moment to snatch it.

I think there's plenty they could do with it to make it a little less stagnant than the games.  But it also wouldn't surprise me if they decided to just cut corners in typical anime fashion and not do something clever like that because it would require more frames of animation.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

We now have confirmation that new news concerning both this property and AA6 will showing at Jump Festa. http://www.forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31639

Capcom has released the schedule for their events at this year's Jump Festa, which runs from December 19th to 20th. Among the schedule is two AA events: a stage show focused on Ace Attorney 6, and a show focused on the upcoming Ace Attorney anime. Both are listed as providing new info on their respective topics.

The two events will run consecutively from 12:30 JST to 13:15 JST on December 19th (10:30 PM EST on the 18th, for those in the states.) AA6 director Yamazaki and producer Eshiro will run the AA6 show, with Eshiro, Takumi, and the TBA anime director to appear during the anime portion (13:00-13:15.)

The real kicker being that it appears that Takumi himself appears to involved with anime, someway, somehow. Bonus points if he turns out to be the "TBA anime director". :will:

I honestly always take "official creators are playing a part in the development of the series" with a grain of salt, as for one, not only the creators just as liable to get something totally wrong as anyone else, but these kinds of statements are often used to build support more than make a statement on the consistency of the quality.  Still, I'm quite looking forward to seeing where this goes!

• 2 weeks later...

People at the panel have said that this covers the first two games.

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31663&p=1341198#p1341198

Not sure how to feel about that. Makes me feel like Rise from the Ashes is going to be ignored. I really, really, really. really want to know the episode count.

The last thing we want is for this to end up being a rushed mess that completely skips over important character moments and even entire investigations like... like...

latest?cb=20130610194303

*Shudder*

On another note, here is a sample of some music that the composer, Kaoru Wada, has done for another show.

People at the panel have said that this covers the first two games.

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31663&p=1341198#p1341198

Not sure how to feel about that. Makes me feel like Rise from the Ashes is going to be ignored. I really, really, really. really want to know the episode count.

The last thing we want is for this to end up being a rushed mess that completely skips over important character moments and even entire investigations like... like...

latest?cb=20130610194303

*Shudder*

Take note: In the same thread there is linked a tweet which apparently says that there will be some original episodes!  I do wonder how exact that translation is, whether it might be more like "original material" where they've had to abridge some of the game developments to speed things up or even slow them down, or if it might instead refer to those DVD-exclusive bonus episodes you sometimes see - but taken as read it more or less confirms that it'll be two seasons (or cours or quarters or whatever we call them now).  Danganronpa clearly struggled to fit one game into a single season, in what strikes me as a classic example of the pacing of the original work simply not fitting the anime format (two-cour would almost certainly have been too long, for various reasons); it's notable in that regard that the new Danganronpa anime coming up next year is going to be an anime-original story.  With a pretty closely-comprable precedent ilke that, I can't imagine anyone's going to try fitting two games and some original episodes into only a single run of twelve-thirteen episodes.  At that point, they'd be pushing one episode per case, and while I admit to having no clear idea of how much time the average AA case would take when adapted, I'd suggest that an episode each obviously won't happen unless this anime is going to be very bad.  Which I kind of doubt, given that it's taken them this long to agree to do an anime at all.

Rise From The Ashes I assume will be skipped; I don't think it would fit the two-game pacing anyway, as it's clearly season finale material that wouldn't fit mid-season.  (I guess there's an outside chance it could be a DVD-exclusive bonus or something.)  It's conceivable that other cases might be skipped as well, if they're going to be tight on time, and the original episodes are there to replace them...  I looked back over the first two games to try and get a sense of how long each part might take to adapt and how it might be cut into episodes, but I don't think there's an easy way to do it.  But I'd be really surprised if they didn't get a half-year run, as I think each game would fit twelve-thirteen episodes pretty snugly on their own; if the anime had only been given that many episodes, I can't imagine what would drive them to try and combine the first two games when the first on its own would probably do the trick.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

tumblr_inline_o1odkmoLyQ1sgb9y7_540.png

New art for the anime!

Von Karma confirmed ... so I guess it's final that we're seeing at least some of the cases from the game get adapted.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ahem, in addition to the announcement of a pachinko game, we also have shots from the anime in a trailer!

Here's an edited version focusing solely on the anime scenes and ignoring the parts showing the pachinko stuff!

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking pretty awesome.  I'm not a big fan of the out-of-place CGI benches, but the rest of the animation in generally looks pretty good!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if they could release it subbed on Hulu like they did with Sailor Moon Crystal?

They probably won't, but that would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

As of last Friday, Court-Records forum had this found out:

According to Takumi, recording for the anime started this week! Takumi also visited the studio (in Tokyo). You can see the cover of the script of the first episode in the picture in his tweet. They finished the first episode this week, which took them more than four hours.

Takumi also noted the animation is clearly not done yet (and sometimes not even really moving/animated), and expresses his respect for the voice actors who have to work with this as their guide.

http://www.forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31751

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in the status updates, it looks a lot better than Dual Destinies, but still not quite as impressive as the arcade game's anime scenes.  Still looking forward to it, though!

And we've also got anime artwork now. Officials right off the press!

Phoenix Wright

bD4jNVm.png

Maya Fey

r4aUcxu.png

Miles Edgeworth

is74Lh4.png

Mia Fey

1HSkbAq.png

Dick Gumshoe

L7ynW4i.png

Larry Butz

Vw46Bla.png

• Thumbs Up 3

And now we've got a new 30-second promo for the anime! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

And here's  more artwork of the usual suspects:

R1xiv2x.jpg