Awoo.

Ace Attorney's Alliterative Anime

Klinsy

And now we've got a look at the anime's official OP!

• Thumbs Up 1

I hear the subs will be using the Japanese names. That really sucks.

Turns out they added a subtitle track with the correct names!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's episode 1 on youtube for anyone who wants to see without getting a Crunchyroll account,  while it lasts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So, just saw the first episode.

Impressions:

• The animation isn't the best but isn't the worst either
  • Everything is overdramtic and that's exactly how I like
  • OP and credits are cool, if a bit cliched.
  • Voice acting is good.
  • I laughed a lot
  • Music is awesome
  • Pacing is alright so far, everything went as long as it should have.

All in all, I think I'm going to enjoy this.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I saw the first episode of the ace attorney anime. I have no idea what the heck is going on in the opening, the animation isn't that good which is a shock since it's being done by the same company who is doing the pokemon anime and look how good that is. The pacing was ok, I would of been ok if it they didn't go with the first trail right away and just give us time to introduce Nick and Maya before we know what her fate is but hat's just me. Also am I the only one who found it a bit weird that when there's shooting sound waves come and it physically affects those around it? It's still the first episode so i don't judge it(ha!) it too much but for what it is it was ok. 

53 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Also am I the only one who found it a bit weird that when there's shooting sound waves come and it physically affects those around it? It's still the first episode so i don't judge it(ha!) it too much but for what it is it was ok. 

Alright, I now you haven't seen the whole series of games in action yet, so I won't spoil ya, but I will inform you that with its zany nature the Ace Attorney series has quite......a wide variety of portraying actions. Especially when it comes to breakdowns which can be literally happening or deceptively metaphoric.

SO it's kinda natural, hell fans were practically demanding after seeing how the pachinko game did stuff with scenes, for said zaniness.

That, and well, it's a concept about lawyers duking it out, only this time you aren't exactly having the automatic enjoyment of playing a game, so throwing in that extra dose of action is a recommendable course of action to help spice things up, especially when they aren't limited to having to use re-usable sprites/models.

Think I'm gonna wait until a substantial number of episodes has aired, since I'm so used to the games' brisk pacing that I can't spend every week waiting for episodes where I know 100% what's going to happen. I'm in this weird position where I think it's better they decided to adapt the games instead of coming up with new material, since anime usually fails at the latter (and the manga isn't that great either, from what little I read of it), but it also makes me less interested in watching it as a result. I would much rather marathon the series and look at it as a whole and how it compares to the games, rather than wait for episodes week by week.

Apparently pointing fingers causing category five hurricane level winds.

Thought it was okay.  Maybe it rushed a little too much, but that's pretty typical of anime adaptations, honestly.

I also really don't like how they translate the games a little too literally.  Like, some nods towards game mechanics is always fine, but when you're outright explaining something as though it were a video game, then I feel the illusion is kind of lost.  That's why I've never been big on people insisting that the Pokémon anime literally have things like levels and experience points.  It's far too literal of a translation of what is already basically just a mechanic that entails the commonsense principle that if you do something enough, you're naturally bound to get better.  As far as Ace Attoreney goes, Mia's explanation of contradictions feels lifted straight out of a video game tutorial, so they could definitely have afforded to take some liberties there.

And yeah, the animation is a little rubbish.  Not Sailor Moon Crystal bad, but it is rather unremarkable, and the obligatory CGI benches in the courtroom stand out far too much.  Besides that, something about the courtroom scenes in general just aren't very pleasing to the eye, but I can't put my finger on why that is.

I'll probably continue to watch it for however long it entertains me, but maybe I was a little too hyped when this was announced lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Sean said:

Think I'm gonna wait until a substantial number of episodes has aired, since I'm so used to the games' brisk pacing that I can't spend every week waiting for episodes where I know 100% what's going to happen. I'm in this weird position where I think it's better they decided to adapt the games instead of coming up with new material, since anime usually fails at the latter (and the manga isn't that great either, from what little I read of it), but it also makes me less interested in watching it as a result. I would much rather marathon the series and look at it as a whole and how it compares to the games, rather than wait for episodes week by week.

Actually, funny thing. Recently Takumi stated something along the lines of the anime adapting the games while also working in some original ideas. 

Well, I watched the first episode yesterday. Now I haven't really seen any anime since I stopped watching Pokémon (about 9 years ago), so I'm not really the most qualified to say how this stacks up, but I think it looks promising. Hopefully things will pick up a bit now that we've gotten the tutorial case out of the way.

Also, is it just me, or is this Trucy making a cameo?

Trucy is that you.jpg

Here's episode 2, I'll present my thoughts on it later.

Well, might as well provide my own thoughts on the episode.

Spoiler

While episode 1 was a competent if somewhat overly faithful adaptation of Case 1-1, episode 2 is an interesting expansion of the pre-trial segments of Case 1-2 and moves a bit towards playing to the animated medium's own strengths. Grossberg doesn't immediately decline to defend Maya unlike the anime, and I don't remember Phoenix working his ass off trying to call up other attorneys in hopes someone more experienced than himself might take the case. But it helps make the scene where he decides to defend her himself much more emotionally engaging. All in all, a pretty decent episode.

Hopefully we'll see more now that we're out of the 'tutorial' stage and into the meat of the first proper trial.

Spoiler

Nick randomly shouting "OBJECTION!" at the end of the episode was pretty funny.

As a fan of the games, the anime isn't bad at all and I'm personally having a lot of fun watching it. The visuals are decent, the pacing is pretty good as well as the voice acting. Obviously, having played the games, it's predictable what's going to happen since it's currently going through the plot of the first game, but anyone who has never played it, there's a lot of twists and turns along the way that'll keep you entertained.

Conveniently,  since the Ace Attorney anime literally shows a picture of the first victim in front of New York's Liberty Statue ,  the dub won't have to do any touch-ups there since Paris has their own replica too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Watched a few episodes of the anime, and I'm enjoying it so far. Animation is really good, and I'm liking the new atmosphere animation is bringing to the series, especially the part where Phoenix visits Redd White's office where it's got dark shadows and such to contrast against Redd White's bigger than life attitude. I do hope the series gets an English dub sooner or later however.

Also, I wonder will they adapt Rise from the Ashes.

• 1 month later...

Justice for All's official intro is out and showcases some damn good animation.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

So here's a question I've had for awhile, are the CD's for the opening and ending themes available at all?  It's actually quite difficult finding a full version of any of the songs (I've only found the second ending theme in full before, but it was gone when I went back), let alone a partial version that isn't pitch-shifted or otherwise altered.

At first, I thought they were basically just generic anime themes, but as I've listened to them more, I have to admit, they're really catchy, so it's unfortunate that they seem to be really hard to find online.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

OBJECTION! That's what's being said to the notion that this anime wasn't getting a second season!

TAKE THAT!

Evidence of Season 2 is a go! Looks like it'll be focusing on just one game instead of two like Season 1. 

• Thumbs Up 2

That seems sensible.  They struggled to fit two games in Season 1, even omitting a case to get it all to fit - though I had a theory even back then that they were holding it back as a potential season opener for Season 2.  Give the cases a little more time to breathe and plug any gaps with original episodes, and a single-game two-cour season seems plausible.

Not sure I'll be watching it, mind.  I thought that Season 1 was okay at best.  But I'm curious, at least.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

That seems sensible.  They struggled to fit two games in Season 1, even omitting a case to get it all to fit 

Two cases, actually. Rise from the Ashes and the Lost Turnabout were both omitted. 

Ah, you're quite right.  You'd think it'd be The Lost Turnabout that I'd have forgotten, but no, it was Rise From The Ashes.  I suppose I still think of it as a kind of bonus case.

At least they're finally finishing the trilogy, dubious quality aside. I actually don't like this anime from what I've seen of it (and it could never replace the games regardless)

I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing an adaptation of Rise from the Ashes or AA4 onwards though.