Sign in to follow this  
Strong Bad

Street Fighter IV

OK yeah if you don't know about this game then you've been living under a very large rock.

Love this game, although Gamestop still hasn't gotten my stick in yet. =( I'm probably going to get into the tournament scene of this one, 2good to pass up.

Opinions, skillz, etc?

The game seems like a load of fun. I've been a Street Fighter fan since the 2nd one and its many versions of it. So yeah, I would enjoy this game. However, I don't have the funds for one of these new generation consoles. I would need one of those, so I could get SF4. I would most definitely buy SF4. When the consoles go down in price, maybe.

I love the style the game oozes. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at Street Fighter... so I think I'll stay with Turbo HD Remix until I can improve a bit. Of course, if I can find a good deal I might just make a purchase, but for not I'll wait for a price cut or one of the inevitable revisions.

I'm liking the new characters, particularly Crimson Viper and Abel.

This game sucks >: (!!!!!

Naw I'm just playin dawg. I'm really liking it so far, though I'm far worse at it then all the other street fighter games I've played. I haven't gotten a definite main yet but it will probably be either C Viper or Cammy, after playing Chun in almost every other street fighter game I really have to say I hate her in this one (street fighter loves C names for girls). Maybe I will pick up Sakura or Ken if I'm feeling like I want to scrub it up. You know what I really hate though, those fucking damn trials. I don't know if I should blame it on me or the 360 controller (I'm going to blame the controller) but I am really bad at them. Thank god for SRK though or else I would have just given up on them a long time ago.

I feel a little bad getting this game like 2 days after getting turbo HD as now it doesn't get played =(

Still waiting for a chance to actually buy this game, yes despite the fact I'm a complete noob in the series and not particularly sharp in fighting games outside of Smash Bros. I do play a bit of Mugen though, which I'm willing to bet is fairly similar depending on the characters you use. I mained Tails and Ray a lot (with the occasional Ella every now and then, but the anti-air-only techs annoyed me). From what I gather from that, I guess I'm more suited to a fighter that moves a lot during attacks (preferably towards the opponent) and doesn't have too much of a problem approaching while the other guy projectile spams. Anybody in the roster fit that description yet, or am I going to have to change my style again? XD

Also, I'm going to put some serious effort into trying to main Dan either way, if only because the showboating attitude of his is fucking hilarious. btw for the guys who actually DO have Mugen, that Tails and Ray I mentioned earlier can be found here.

Projectile spam can usually be countered with thinking. It's a crazy thought, I know, but projectile spam is avoidable in Street Fighter just as much as it is in Smash Bros. Just have average reflexes and jump/duck/whatever and if you're close you can counterattack.

Since seeing screenshots of this game I've been put off. I really do not like it visually, it seriously puts me off. I'll stick to SF3 3rd Strike, which I'm perfectly happy with XP.

You know I really thought that at first too but after playing the game it doesn't bother me so much. I think that up close the models look pretty bad and also stills of the images look weird too, but I think in motion the game looks pretty nice.

Is Vega in Street Fighter 4? If so, that rules! He's my favorite character in Street Fighter.

He is, too bad he plays like shit :(

Also, I'm going to put some serious effort into trying to main Dan

Hey SB, remember when I beat you with Dan Hibiki! Those were the days...

Edited by Pelly

Mick: Vega is in Street Fighter IV. Most of roster from Street Fighter II (I think everyone, I haven't loaded up SFII in a while though) is in it along with a few newer chars.

I actually feel the same way. I had a huge feeling of disappointment when the first screens came out... I mean it's a great idea, and they did it amazingly well, but I really prefer the 2D sprite style when it comes to 2D traditional fighters. I still play 3rd Strike all the time though, and Street Fighter IV is still great for its gameplay IMO.

Projectile spam can usually be countered with thinking. It's a crazy thought, I know, but projectile spam is avoidable in Street Fighter just as much as it is in Smash Bros. Just have average reflexes and jump/duck/whatever and if you're close you can counterattack.
I'm aware of that, but some chars tend to have moves or traits that make them better at it than others. Like gief's Lariat, I've noticed. I've probably got a long way to go but right now I just instinctively jump over projectiles and try to get a jumpkick in, and... well chances are that's an easily punishable route if the other guy can Shoryuken. Anyway long story short, is the lariat the only thing that ignores projectiles or are there other ways about it?

Several attacks have invincibility frames. I don't know all of them so you'd have to check SRK or something, but dodging is definitely a universal and easy way to get around it.

Oh awesome, Vega is back in it! Is his stage with the cage in the game? I like that one move where you climb the cage and then dive into your opponent or german suplex your opponent. I like the backflip move that he does. That's pretty useful when countering projectiles, that's a better move than just blocking a projectile. The projectile goes right through you when you backflip. Yeah, I know you have to time it really well. My timing with that move is pretty good, but not flawless.

I got the game just a few days ago, and so far, it is awesome.

It is my first Street Fighter, but I plan on getting Super Street Fighter II HD Remix.

I'm still learning the basics, but I'm getting better.

It is definitely a fun game, I'm really glad they added in Cammy. Not only that but they made her even better! Which is GREAT for me since I only ever really play as her xD.

^... Holy shit, same avatars XD. I'll take mine down later - you had it first :P

I knew someone else was going to use that as their avatar haha

Anywho - this games freaking AMAZINGGG. I just can't stress enough how awesome it is, it's a masterpiece of a video game (in my opinion).

I'm starting to get pretty good with Ryu - though I can't beat Arcade mode with him, I can't get past Sagat :/ meh.

Oh, and if anyone wants to play a round with me at all, feel free to add me on my 360. :x

He is, too bad he plays like shit :(

I beg to differ, Vega is actually my best character in the game. Yes, the majority of his combos are charge attacks, but once you learn how to do them effectively then you can start kicking ass. I normally start the mach off with a backflip just in case the person does a projectile move, but after that I go into a EX Rolling Crystal Flash. Also the Bloody Sky Claw Ultra Combo is just beautiful.

Oh awesome, Vega is back in it! Is his stage with the cage in the game? I like that one move where you climb the cage and then dive into your opponent or german suplex your opponent. I like the backflip move that he does. That's pretty useful when countering projectiles, that's a better move than just blocking a projectile. The projectile goes right through you when you backflip. Yeah, I know you have to time it really well. My timing with that move is pretty good, but not flawless.

No, there is no cage area in the game, but you can dive into your opponent using the Flying Barcelona move. You can also do a grab move while doing the Flying Barcelona. The backflip is in the game, and it has saved my ass a number of times. Probably the best move in Vega's set is either the Rolling Crystal Flash or an Ex charged Sky Claw.

If you get the chance, try looking up Vega's Ultra Combo on youtube. It's hard to pull off, but if you hit someone with it, it's just amazing!!

Despite how good you may be at Vega in relation to how good you are at the rest of the roster, the competitive Street Fighter IV community agrees as a whole that Vega isn't good.

Will be getting Street Fighter 4 later today, haven't really checked but are the 360\PS3 versions playable against each other online? Would like to try you guys out, and myself for that matter. :)

I doubt they are, so PS3 owners who wish a few matches i'm up for it.

Edited by killemoff

Street Fighter IV is awesome. Get it. Now. If you even have just a remote interest in fighting games, get it. :lol:

Seriously, it's great. Been playing online, also against our own Remy/Remz, and it rocks. But I guess the SSMB SFIV Tournament is off the table until this mess is cleared up here.

^... Holy shit, same avatars XD. I'll take mine down later - you had it first :P

I knew someone else was going to use that as their avatar haha

Anywho - this games freaking AMAZINGGG. I just can't stress enough how awesome it is, it's a masterpiece of a video game (in my opinion).

I'm starting to get pretty good with Ryu - though I can't beat Arcade mode with him, I can't get past Sagat :/ meh.

Oh, and if anyone wants to play a round with me at all, feel free to add me on my 360. :x

I've been setting the arcade mode to easy/1 round/30 seconds. As long as you can finish with a sliver more health then the opponent you win, good way to beat Seth too. I know it may sound a bit cheap but honestly there is nothing more useless then arcade mode in a fighting game anyways.

Edited by Pelly