Awoo.

Sonic Strength Tiers

Muscles Maximum

List topics are not allowed according to the current SSMB rules/guidelines, but it is an interesting topic, so we may keep this open and accessible if more effort is given than making a mere list, as displayed by several posts.

My very first topic a while back was how fast Sonic characters in general are. Today I thought about what characters are the strongest.

How powerful do you think everyone is in terms of physical strength? I'm talking pure muscle.

Who kicks harder? Rouge or Sonic? Who would win an arm wrestle between Big and Vector? Is Knuckles leagues beyond everyone in terms of power?

A quick top 5 or 10 based on what you fellas think would be excellent.

I think I might say something like this.

1. Knuckles

2. Big/Bark

3. Vector

4. Chaos 0

5... This one's tougher. Maybe Mighty, or Omega or Storm or Something.

6. Rouge

7. Blaze

8. Shadow

9. Sonic

10. Eggman?

Pretty much anything after 4 is just pure speculation and a bit of head canon bias thrown in. But it's just for fun ;) What do you fellas think about strength in the Sonic universe?

Edited by Diz

This is my take on it (only counting character's base forms and disregarding giants like Iblis):

0. Emerl (Even though they can't be unlocked until the end of the game Emerl starts with enough skill points that it would theoretically be possible for to equip an Ult. Attack skill right from the outset, potentially making him the strongest/fastest/whatever character in the franchise. However since his strength isn't fixed I'm disqualifying him from the tier list proper.)

1. Chaos 0

2. Knuckles/Metal Knuckles

3. Mighty

4. Omega

6. Big

7. Werehog

8. Zavok

9. Metal Sonic

10. Shadow

Edited by Bowbowis

Personally, I think strength tiers can be silly and are very annoying if they're being taken seriously (which you aren't, so that's good). Especially in a series like Sonic, there's no way to know. The speed tier one would have a bit more potential for evidence considering the nature of the series, but this case is almost pure speculation. I mean, if you find it fun, bully for you, but there's not much to discuss when there's so little we can actually know. If we are going to discuss this, I don't think just making a list is the best way to do it.

I will say that I definitely don't agree that Knuckles is leagues beyond everyone else, or even that he's the very strongest. In the Olympics games, isn't he like, the weakest Power character? I'd say that he's probably not as strong in terms of pure strength as say, Big or Bark, and quite possibly not as strong as Vector, Omega, or Storm. In my opinion, Knuckles' "edge" comes not from having the most pure power but from the fact that he's much less bulky and much more agile than the hard-hitters, even able to glide and climb and such. I may be wrong, but I think in the early Sonic manuals and stuff they rarely even said that Knuckles had a lot of super-strength. I mean, he can sure hit hard with his fists, but that owes a lot to his knuckle spikes, which are also used for climbing and digging through walls and other things. In short, he's certainly the strongest of the "main" characters, but if we're bringing in secondary and tertiary characters, I wouldn't say he is.

Where exactly is Chaos 0 coming from? Does he have a lot of physical strength in Sonic Battle? I've never played that game.

Also, I don't think Mighty has never been explicitly depicted as having super strength in any game. He certainly does in both series of comics, but if we're going there then we'll have to include a lot more characters :P

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah in Sonic Battle Chaos is painfully slow like usual but is very very strong (;

Also interesting take on Knuckles in terms of power. I've never heard anyone say it like that, very well put. Though I will say I love the "small but strong" trope and I think Knuckles is the epitome of said trope.

I do wish Mighty was still around so we could see if he lives up to his name.

Edited by monkokaio
  • Thumbs Up 1

For what it's worth, in ShTH Shadow can flip a bus and wield a massive vehicle-mounted minigun, both with a single hand. His exact strength can be kind of inconsistent, but I would definenly rate him leauges above Rouge of all characters, who still needs the help of upgrades just to kick open a metal crate.

Where exactly is Chaos 0 coming from? Does he have a lot of physical strength in Sonic Battle? I've never played that game.

Not only does he have the highest attack power in the game (only Shadow comes close, but most of his heaviest hitters are Chaos techniques and not the subject of discussion here), he swings pretty fast too, despite his literally mollasses-slow moving speed. If you don't get the first hit in, he'll rip your fucking arm off and bludgeon you with it. Sonic Battle isn't an isolated case, though - he's treated as the go-to fighting character in SA2's multiplayer too, which you'd think wouldn't translate well in a game where everything kills in two hits at best, but he has both a long reach and retardedly huge hitboxes in his punches which I'd argue portrays the difference in strength pretty damned well.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm gonna go ahead and put Big near the top of the list.

2qkqetg.jpg

Well, if we're counting the comics, anyway. Big can lift cars, too though.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll just deal in tiers or "classes".

1. Super Sonic :P

1. Knuckles/Omega/Big/Vector/Storm/Emerl/Chaos
  2. Sonic/Shadow/Rouge/Maybe Tikal'd fit here as opposed to tier 1?
  3. 99% of everyone else >>> Eggman.

It's hard to classify strength tiers since there's a lack of consistency. Spinoffs will label certain characters as power types, while others do not. Eggman, for instance, has been shown in the Rider games, I believe, to be a power type character, while the Mario and Sonic Olympic titles show him to be less strong and more skilled. Yet Lost World displays his strength pretty well with him knocking down a wall of ice with his hands.

All put together, I'm guessing a guy like Eggman would probably be in the lower-upper sections of strength -- well below Knuckles but still notably strong. But at the end of the day, it's really all over the place.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't count Eggman out entirely. The dude punched down a wall with his bare hands in Lost World.

And while non-game material isn't canon, sources like Sonic X (Eggman punching out a GUN turret) and the comics (Eggman beating a huge wrestler twice his size) also show that Eggman, when sufficiently provoked, can summon some impressive feats of strength.

I still wouldn't recommend him fighting Sonic unarmed or anything, sure; His main strength is his mind and his inventions. But he isn't a total pushover physically by any means.

• Thumbs Up 1

Similar to I explained about speed tiers in the thread on that - official sources on strength have varied or not remarked on the strength of most of the characters (except for Knuckles being strongest)

So with that lack of consistency, any tier list will be fan speculation

Still just like before I'll go on to what I think the strength tier list should be (using characters most likely to recur and excluding Super forms):

Knuckles

Omega

Big

Storm

Vector

Silver (psychokinesis)

>>>>>>>> big gap

Rouge

Metal Sonic (base ability sans Copycat)

Espio

Blaze

Shadow

Sonic

Jet

Wave

Amy

Tails

Cream

Charmy

Justifications: 

like I said, Knuckles is canonically confirmed strongest and as Sonic's rival with opposite ability he should be, 

Omega is his Team Dark counterpart and perhaps the slowest heavyweight fighter (not counting Big who is not a fighter) so Omega being second balances that, 

Big vs Storm is difficult with Big needing some balance but Storm being something of a second string rival to Knux it could go either way, 

Vector is bottom of power characters but he seems relatively fast in comparison to most above him for balance and Silver's psychokinesis would feel like a cheat to be any higher,

Rouge may be s treasure hunting rival to Knux but she is primarily a flight character with government agent training so she should not have super strength of power characters 

And since Sonic should be slightly faster than Shadow it should be the reverse for strength to keep balance

Similar to I explained about speed tiers in the thread on that - official sources on strength have varied or not remarked on the strength of most of the characters (except for Knuckles being strongest)

So with that lack of consistency, any tier list will be fan speculation

Still just like before I'll go on to what I think the strength tier list should be (using characters most likely to recur and excluding Super forms):

Knuckles

Omega

Big

Storm

Vector

Silver (psychokinesis)

>>>>>>>> big gap

Rouge

Metal Sonic (base ability sans Copycat)

Espio

Blaze

Shadow

Sonic

Jet

Wave

Amy

Tails

Cream

Charmy

Justifications: 

like I said, Knuckles is canonically confirmed strongest and as Sonic's rival with opposite ability he should be, 

Omega is his Team Dark counterpart and perhaps the slowest heavyweight fighter (not counting Big who is not a fighter) so Omega being second balances that, 

Big vs Storm is difficult with Big needing some balance but Storm being something of a second string rival to Knux it could go either way, 

Vector is bottom of power characters but he seems relatively fast in comparison to most above him for balance and Silver's psychokinesis would feel like a cheat to be any higher,

Rouge may be s treasure hunting rival to Knux but she is primarily a flight character with government agent training so she should not have super strength of power characters 

And since Sonic should be slightly faster than Shadow it should be the reverse for strength to keep balance

Sonic and Shadow share the same speed and agility. 

Sonic and Shadow share the same speed and agility. 

Not quite.

Shadow skates as fast as Sonic runs on foot. It stands to reason that Shadow, unaided by his skates, would be somewhat slower.

And that's fine; There are areas in which Shadow is stronger than Sonic, but I'm going to say speed isn't one of them. He needs artificial means to match Sonic's speed, which would indicate that his natural speed is less than Sonic's is.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

Im not sure how to list everyone else but I think people underesitmate Sonic's strength. Yes alot of characters are strong in powers and the size helps to, but Sonic.... hes kicked robots that are 1000x his size, hes also punched the walls and punched robots and other metals with his bare hands. He has also beaten the ultimate life form twice. Actually hes beaten alot of the characters listed in the games.

I honestly think hes the strongest character because he has to earn his strength and he does. 

Not quite.

Shadow skates as fast as Sonic runs on foot. It stands to reason that Shadow, unaided by his skates, would be somewhat slower.

And that's fine; There are areas in which Shadow is stronger than Sonic, but I'm going to say speed isn't one of them. He needs artificial means to match Sonic's speed, which would indicate that his natural speed is less than Sonic's is.

it's said on his profile that he can match Sonic's speed and agility. And since he's meant to be the dark Sonic, you can't argue against it.

it's said on his profile that he can match Sonic's speed and agility. And since he's meant to be the dark Sonic, you can't argue against it.

Of course, he does match it. With the help of skates.

Of course, he does match it. With the help of skates.

how does skates increase agility, reflexes, perception, etc? Shadows speed has to be just as innate as Sonic's. How he boosts proves it.

how does skates increase agility, reflexes, perception, etc? Shadows speed has to be just as innate as Sonic's. How he boosts proves it.

Reflexes and perception? Not at all. Agility? Quite a bit.

Try entering a footrace with roller skates, and you'll be disqualified. Why? Because attaching wheels to your feet makes you faster than you normally are. Shadow would still have to be pretty fast on his feet to skate as fast as he does, mind you, but the fact remains that even with skates, he can only match Sonic's running speed, not exceed it. From this we can conclude two things:

- If Sonic had skates, he would be even faster. 

- If Shadow didn't have skates, he would be slower. Still fast, but not as fast as he is with them.

From a gameplay mechanic, it makes no difference. They play identically and move at the same speed. But the reason for that speed, from a story perspective, is entirely different. Sonic's speed is innate, while Shadow can only match Sonic's speed with the additional help of his skates. Shadow's still a fast guy, but if you took the skates away, one can only reasonably conclude that there would be a difference in speed, however minute it might be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reflexes and perception? Not at all. Agility? Quite a bit.

Try entering a footrace with roller skates, and you'll be disqualified. Why? Because attaching wheels to your feet makes you faster than you normally are. Shadow would still have to be pretty fast on his feet to skate as fast as he does, mind you, but the fact remains that even with skates, he can only match Sonic's running speed, not exceed it. From this we can conclude two things:

- If Sonic had skates, he would be even faster. 

- If Shadow didn't have skates, he would be slower. Still fast, but not as fast as he is with them.

From a gameplay mechanic, it makes no difference. They play identically and move at the same speed. But the reason for that speed, from a story perspective, is entirely different. Sonic's speed is innate, while Shadow can only match Sonic's speed with the additional help of his skates. Shadow's still a fast guy, but if you took the skates away, one can only reasonably conclude that there would be a difference in speed, however minute it might be.

Considering how when Shadow boosts, all the energy is just projected right out the skates instead of just skating faster, I can conclude that Shadow's speed is innate. If his speed wasn't innate, he wouldn't be Shadow the Hedgehog.

Putting on skates would only make you faster if your normal running speed is 'normal' or 'average'. If you have superspeed, skating makes no speed difference. Same with riding a board or grinding, your natural speed would translate right into that and you'd still be moving at the same speed you'd be moving at if you were running. Because Super Speed goes far beyond just running faster than normal. Like, for example, if a random person suddenly got powers from the Flash's Speed Force, they wouldn't just be able to do what the Flash usually does, they have the potential to manipulate the flow of time, vibrating and phasing through objects, manipulate molecular movement, centrifugal force manipulation, age manipulation, and so on. Super Speed encompasses all kinds of movement, being able to run at high speeds is just the main/primary/most obvious application. But in reality, you'd be able to do stuff like standing on a moving platform in Planet Wisp, and making it accelerate, or accelerating immensly while grinding on rails, or in mid-air, or even doing something like curling up and suddenly spinning/rolling in place at supersonic/light speeds before dashing off. 

Shadow's speed has to be innate in order for him to match Sonic. If anything, (and this next part is mostly a theory) Shadow's skates and the rings on his ankles probably convert Shadow's innate superspeed into the energy released from the jets in order to allow him to use his full speed since powers are constantly limited by the inhibitor rings on his wrists. Otherwise, Shadow wouldn't be able to match Sonic at all without taking off his rings, so he uses the rings on his ankles to take the speed that is held back and send it through the skates. This would be why when Shadow boosts, the accumulated Ring Energy is projected right out of the skates rather than him simply skating at faster speeds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ahh yes, the classic Sonic vs. Shadow, who's faster debates; I missed these.

Its really kind hard to gauge, but you can make a convincing argument that Sonic is faster, mainly because running (i.e. FRICTION) will generally give you more distance than hovering (if you notice, Shadow hovers slightly above the ground when he skates and does significantly less strides than Sonic.) 

And like Mechano said, Shadow's speed can rival, but not never exceed, Sonic's speed. So even if Sonic was faster, its' by a significantly small amount.

What I'm saying is that they are literally the exact same in speed, neither one is faster. That is what has been consistently said in almost all of Shadow's profiles.

Edited by Sparky

• 3 years later...

In terms of physical strength as in the amount of force their body can muster when clashing with another person or object? Or are we accounting for things such as Chaos Blast and Chaos Powers and other helpful enhancing things like Silver's PSI? Because if we're taking those into account, Shadow and Silver immediately jump up to the god tiers of the main cast. We also have to consider what mediums we want to use here. Archie, IDW, Anime, Cartoons, Movies, and the main videogames all have a few discrepancies between them. If we take each character at their absolute strongest, then Knuckles and Tails in Archie with their forms obliterate everyone else by basically becoming gods. 

However, let's stick to mostly canon mediums here:

God Tier

Sonic: I know, it's odd, but Sonic has destroyed entire battleships by speeding through them, has defeated some really powerful beings with little help in base form, and he "only keeps growing". Sonic Forces and modern Sonic in general shows that his friends practically need him as a "I win" button, and he and Metal Sonic both performed a feat of chipping of a good portion of a cliff or something in their fight, which reminds me...

Infinite: I guess? Hard to really rank him when that writing was so inconsistent and Mania's showcase of the PR is contradictory? Like, logically, it should be on par with the Chaos Emeralds going off of Mania, but then Forces just says he's warps their minds into perceiving a different reality where the things in thag reality that he creates are real and can harm them? He beats Sonic for most of the game, but with the help of teamwork, he beats a full power Infinite. This same Infinite also created a dwarf star and seems to be implied to be above his copies in power since Sonic handles them easily, with the only oddity being Shadow, but I'm willing to bet he is stronger. He may even be stronger than Sonic is we're being honest, but I was already confused about this one to begin with.

Metal Sonic: Yes, that feat above is pretty much one of the most impressive on-screen demonstrations of power the series has had, and with Eggman constantly upgrading and tweaking him, Metal will consistently be a good match for Sonic as he's also a self-adapting and always-improving bot.

Next, we have Sha- I mean Silver: Did you expect this one to make it here? I did. He fights back against a monster the size of buildings and who grazed the entire world in a purge of molten lava and ash; his telekinesis has allowed him to form a HUGE ball of debris made from multiple cars, rubble, street signs, and anything he could find while racing down the mangled highway, all while manipulating those same objects and things as big as trucks to serve as projectiles and obstacles for Sonic to try and dodge as a countermeasure; he also bends freaking steel bars with his PK with little effort and was the only other character to have stood up to Infinite w/the Phantom Ruby for a short while, while the other Resistance members did nothing, which seems to imply they thought he was the most qualified individual to stand up to the person who previously took down Sonic. Without his PK, yeah, he's likely not up there, but it's an innate aspect of his character.

Shadow: Finally, he appears! Shadow can turn over a bus with one hand pretty casually, and his Chaos Blast is one of the most destructive abilities any character has. When he and Silver canonically fought, it was a standstill, which is a common misconception. They both were fatigued as shown by the both of them panting, and the battle ends when Silver counters Shadow's Chaos Control. The thing with Shads is that... besides being comparable or obviously above certain characters in terms of H2H prowess and general combat intelligence, we haven't seen direct instances of him utilising a lot of force. Chaos Blast in certain cutscenes, sure, but even then, the blast radius is about as big as a building at best? And when we see him skating through Mephiles... that's cool and all, but Mephiles literally doesn't do much direct fighting in that game, and he stabbed Sonic when his guard was down. He's honestly a bit overrated unless I'm missing something. This whole "More powerful with more Chaos Emeralds" thing doesn't matter much since that seems to apply to a lot of villains and characters, and they aren't standard equipment--it's also never shown how much of a boost they even give him, and same for his Inhibitor Rings, which literally drain him so all you'd need to do is just drive him back and avoid him, and then there goes all of his power, an ability I think the above can accomplish and even some others below, but this isn't a general tier list regarding all of their abilities and powers. Besides that, Shadow is still treated as a rival to Sonic and his near equal, and Battle shows him kicking butt (although wasn't he utilizng spacial warping powers, which likely came from an Emerald?), so this spot is rightfully reserved for him. Also, his legs aren't immediately ripped off by a certain robot...

Zavok: Maybe? Forces implies Metal Sonic is above him by Sonic needing the Avatar's help as well as the fact that was at a point where Sonic grew stronger, I guess? Seeing as how LW was the previous game and Zavok fought Sonic there, it's not unreasonable to assume he could hold his own against others in the tier since he was up against what seems to be the second strongest Sonic behind Forces. But then again, those four copies DID take part in the beating of Sonic... Ugh. 

Possibly Omega: He's the one to take down Shadow in the future, and with his bulking exterior and huge arsenal of deadly weapons, yeah, it's easy to see how he'd make it here. Although, granted, we don't know the full story and how it exactly went down.

Blaze: Hasn't done much in canon, but what she DID do is fight on par with Sonic and even beat Knuckles IIRC. Flames are also just a highly destructive force. She probably could be higher for being on par with Sonic, but given Sonic's tendency to hold back, it can go either way, plus this was an earlier incarnation of Sonic.

Knuckles: Punching the air and causing explosions due to splitting the atoms? Yeah, that alone already shoots him up the tier list. Beyond this, he's broken through rock, metal, and just about everything the other characters have done. He also did a fair bit of butt-kicking in Battle, and in Sonic X (dubious canon, I know) he's done a LOT more. Destroying that thing on the moon actually would be the most impressive thing in the series if it wasn't in a series that's likely non-canon. But even despite this, Shadow destroys him in the later half of the series, so I'd say the ranking's justified.

Rouge: Say what you might about her relevance, but she slayed in Battle (going so far as to even beat one of the next three on the list and even two of them in X), has fought Knux to a standstill and is still considered his near equal in terms of combat ability, and she canonically supports the weight of both Shadow and Omega while sustaining speedy flight, and she easily has the most baggage to deal with there, as Omega weighs a whopping 2700+ lbs, which is a little bit over a ton. Also, one of her kicks is described as being able to cut a person in half.

High Tier because I can't have too many characters in God tier

Tails: I know what you're all thinking, "What?" But hear me out. Tails has lifted a 10 ton weight before, granted he was clearly struggling, had the help of his Tails likely going ham to help get it off the ground to hover, and had equipment to aid him. In Battle, he can clearly hold his own, and if his machines are allowed, then he gains a full arsenal of deadly stuff. He's been a bit of a wuss nowadays, but in his states of glory, Tails can really shine and come through. Only reason he's not higher is because I'm pretty sure canon says that the people in God Tier are all stronger than him and remain consistent in that.

Big: He can lift a car with one hand. The only reason he's not above the others is because he doesn't really utilise that strength much, and I feel that skill really helps accentuate strength and what a person can do with their physicality.

Amy: While she didn't start off as a powerhouse, she quickly grew into her own independent character with promising prowess in boxing and hammer-wielding. While she did lose to Rouge, she was still capable of fighting against others in Battle, has an infamous history with people who anger her or get on her bad side, and while it could be a joke, she has been able to overpower Knuckles on a few occasions and harm him. Also, she supports Big, who weighs around 616 pounds, I believe? So that's also gotta give her an incredible lower body and core.

Espio: Implied to be a skilled combatant, has participated in Rivals and has gone up against the people above, but still to little to go off of to rate him any higher. Vector weighs around 400 pounds and he supports him, so like Amy and Rouge, but not as impressive.

Vector: Basically a power type, so we can assume he's at least stronger than Charmy? Hasn't contributed more than Espio recently, though, so he's lower simply for that reason.

Mid Tier

Cream: She has Cheese, and for being a little girl, she was able to hold her own in Battle... even if not as well, and she does support the weights of Amy and Big the Cat, canonically, which puts her above the next guy

Mighty: Knuckles Chaotix and the fact he's even considered powerful at all.

Charmy: Supports Vector and Espio and does what the rest of the cast can do. Not that special, honestly.

Gamma: Self-destruct is the only impressive thing here, and that's really not much compared to what the cast deals with after his appearance.

Chaos 0: Literally few direct feats, but I'll put him here because of hype and because I don't know about the image of the characters below him beating him.

Marine: She actually has like one feat of doing some damage to a boss, I think? Hey, that's at least something. 

Bark: From here on out, I don't have much on these characters, but being animals and being able to go agaisnt Sonic at any point in time is still impressive.

Fang

Bean

Ray

Low Tier

Eggman without mechs: Shattered an ice wall in Lost World and has shown to be decently strong and fast for a human character.

Tikal: Has some weird mystical powers stuff going on. That's about it.

Orbot and Cubot: Like, have they ever done anything? Am I missing some big thing they've done?

Maria: She does help aid Shadow in fighting enemies in his game, but other then that? Just your average girl.

I hope that was fun for anyone. I'm a bit tired, so I apologize if I missed things or misspelled some words 

• Thumbs Up 1

These threads are hard--objectively impossible--to answer since game lore changes constantly to suit the scenario, and it doesn't help that increasingly, games just fake their physics.  In Sonic Adventure, Big is the only one who can lift a car.  In Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic and just about anyone else who can play City Escape can knock cars flying.  This sort of inconsistency goes on and on; sometimes in the same game.  Shadow can roll a truck around with his hand, but somehow in the same game his punch won't send characters flying who are far lighter.

You can have fun extrapolating what's what here, and when it comes time to make a spinoff that is useful, but the series overall doesn't give the most stuff to work with.

Also as to the notion that Sonic is incredibly strong because he can stop himself from moving at the speed of sound...he doesn't actually move that fast in any game.  Sorry to ruin your childhood.

If we assume that
1) By 'strength' we mean simple muscle, say arms wrestling or punching a wall, not who would win a Death Battle
2) We're ignoring what math says and focus on what the intended idea was
(so let's ignore how much logically Sonic should be able to lift. Officially he's fast, not strong)

I would say it looks like this

0) Not Measurable Strength
Super Forms, gods, etc. No point listing

1) Super Strength
Silver: Okay, everyone remembers things Silver grabs fighting Iblis or in Generations, right? If we count his telekinesis as muscle, he's officially ridiculous. With that said, he does that extremely rarely, so I'm assuming it's hard to do. On everyday basis he's around 2 tier.
Knuckles: He's as strong as Sonic is fast, however it works. Even if that no longer is true, I think it's only fair to assume he's at the top of 'fair game' strength.
Mighty: Might be actually stronger than Knuckles. At least if we compare them in Archie comics, things he did are ridiculous. Knuckles rarely lifts heavy stuff (maybe in Sonic X), when Mighty was shown holding tanks
Zavok: Anyone who can deflect Spin Dash charging at deserves a spot here.
Werehog: Is Sonic's speed turned into strength. Well, metaphorically speaking, I doubt it's 1:1 conversion. Still, he beats giant monster.

2) Impressive Strength
Big
: In games, Big has to few appearances to be sure. He's at least tier 2 and but I'm pretty sure Big was never defeated in canon fight in any game, unlike pretty much everyone else on this list. In Archie threw giant Silver Sonic, so this Big is probably tier 1.
Omega: By his size alone and mechanical muscles, it's quite possible that Omega should be in tier 1. Sadly his over reliance on guns make it hard to prove.
Storm: Knuckles sparing partner, but never won or really accomplished anything big.
Vector: Another "strength type" character, but unlike Knux or Mighty (or even Storm), physical strength isn't what defines him

2.5) Still above Sonic Strength
Metal Sonic: Is a robot, so by pure logic he must be stronger than most meat-bags. Probably not as strong as Omega, but comparable to Shadow.
Shadow: While most of his strength comes from Chaos Energy, Speed and Martial Arts, in his game he can flip a car or beat huge aliens with bare fists. I think he wouldn't be ultimate life form if he wasn't at least "Captain America" level of strong.
Amy: Her strength is fairly inconsistent (going from Damsel in Distress to Powerhouse), so let's agree she's fairly strong, but without her hammer not OP strong.

3) Beyond Average Strength
Rouge, Sticks, Sonic, Tails, Espio, Blaze and pretty much anyone who often fights in close combat.

Rouge might be tier 2, (after all she was Knuckles rival), but I suspect it's more martial arts than psychical strength.

4) "Normal" Levels Strength
Eggman, Jet, Wave, Cream, Charmy, Marine and anyone who's too young or rarely fights on his own.
(Yes Eggman broke a wall in Lost World. But he also hurt his hands doing so. It's anomaly for him.)
Then again, Cream can fly with Big and Amy, so who knows?

So, now that we have Strength and Speed tier, should we do Smart tier as well?

Ah, so we have one for Strength as well? Ha, how nice and thorough.

Let's see...to start off, wasn't there a projected list for Preboot Archie character strengths?