Awoo.

Sonic The Hedgehog 06 coming to 360's "On Demand" service

Matriculated

The loading times will be just what they are now if you install the disc game on to your hard-drive. I've done that and the 20 second loading times decrease to 15 seconds which is still pretty bad.

While I'm not positive of the specifics of the PS3 installation process for this particular game, generally game installs for the system are done to ease the strain put on the disc drive by caching some data. As such, eliminating the disc drive entirely and caching all of the data should lead to a dramatic cut-down of load times (unless they are hard coded, which is the case with some disc-based games). Especially as this is for the 360 version of the game, which originally didn't offer game installs in any form.

Edited by Tornado

You should just rent it then, it's not worth anything above $10, even that's pushing it.

This man speaks the truth... do not fall into the trap like we did.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Think of it this way, the game won't seem as bad because the load times will be quicker, due to it being on the hard drive. I should say, they may be quicker.

Edited by Icecoldfrieza

That doesn't change the awful controls, story, and.... fuck it, I don't want to spend hours writing about that shitty game. :(

The loading times will be just what they are now if you install the disc game on to your hard-drive. I've done that and the 20 second loading times decrease to 15 seconds which is still pretty bad.

The load times were bad but I've seen worst. For example, HALO 3 (campaign) Now that was ridiculous. I swear i remember sitting for almost a minute wait for a stage to start. My (long gone) copy of 06 never did that, 20secs may have been the longest I've waited and thats it.

Edit: soap that would be a great idea lol

Edited by shadic©
  • Thumbs Up 1

Halo 3 catches everything, so you see a grand total of one load time every time you start the campaign. Sonic 06's load time are so long because it basically clears RAM and then loads everything it needs for the next section.

Putting Sonic 06 on the hard drive doesn't do much for loading because all the files are compressed. Most of the time spent loading is spent decompressing files. Calling the Xbox 360's installation an "installation" is a bit of a misnomer, all it's doing is ripping an image of the disc. The PS3 version would have shorter loading times, were it not for the Blu Ray drive having a slower transfer speed... or perhaps Sega compressed those files as well. It really wouldn't surprise me. PS3 installations place commonly used files on the hard drive so they can be retrieved faster.

What's funny is that the ability to install games was presumably added to the 360 to reduce wear and tear on the drives, most 360 games aren't set up to take advantage of it. Armored Core for Answer does considerably, in spite of having been released long before the NXE came about. It probably has to do with the nature of what the game is loading, and the fact that it's a port of a PS3 game.

I'll buy this if the load times ARE reduced as that was the only thing that REALLY bothered me about the original.

However, all the technical stuff people are suggesting here makes me lose hope for that, so we'll have to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Load times were only the tip of the iceberg for this game. The glitches, the story, the terrible design (who the hell puts a fire pillar IN FRONT OF A SPEED PAD?!)... I only bought it because I was wondering how bad could it possibly be. Turns out it was worse than I thought possible.

So... Yeah. Not gonna re-buy this game again, obviously, and it should be avoided like the plague. Unless you're playing as Blaze, those were the only fun parts in the game.

Edited by The Sniper
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That doesn't change the awful controls, story, and.... fuck it, I don't want to spend hours writing about that shitty game. :(

SOAP don't ya know that Sonic fans today... they don't care about gameplay, it just has to have Sonic. ;)

I don't see why everyone's so up in arms over this. So you didn't like Sonic 06, boo hoo. Its probabbly just there to make Sega/Microsoft some more money on the side, nothing more.

Because it makes no sense that it's on an "On Demand" service when let's face it, not many people would actually DEMAND the thing with how atrocious it was.

• Bad Quality Post 1

But we don't even know the price yet! If they're offering it at a near enough budget title cost; I can see it being demanded enough on infamy alone. I doubt SEGA are losing much (if any) money over this, so there's no harm in offering it for those that want to 'take a look' for themselves.

Of course I'm sure most of us would prefer something like Unleashed being put on the service, but considering that was only released late last year and Next-Gen was released nearly three years ago - it's easy to see the direction they're going with this. (Releasing the system's earlier games, that is.)

I'm not overly keen on the game myself either, but if it's cheap enough I'm sure it will at least make a marginal profit.

I still don't see what the big deal is. It is after all just a game.

So? The PS2 was "just" a game console, yet there were countless riots worldwide at the launch of the blasted machine due to lack of stock!

Sonic the Hedgehog is "just" a game series, yet here we are!

The videogame industry is "just" a business, yet it makes FuCkToNs of cash each day!

Planet Earth is "just" a planet, yet the human race seems to think that it is the only place in the universe!

The whole of existance is "just" one reality amongst potentially millions, yet... oh, fuck it; you get the point :P!

I really don't see why people are getting so pissed about this. Believe it or not, there were people who liked Sonic 06. If you don't like it, just ignore it. Meanwhile, people who want to try the game will be able to try it on demand. I don't see how anyone loses here...

For all of you asking "why?", I have but one answer.

Money money money money money money money money MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY.

Then surely... that indicates a strong demand for it? Otherwise what would be the point in doing it?

Should this service be renamed to "supply and demand" to avoid confusion?

P.S: I loved Sonic '06. I mean like, unconditionally, in a weird, it-reminds-me-of-something-good-and-therefore-is-good sort of a way. Yup, it boggles me, too...

• Thumbs Up 1

Should this service be renamed to "supply and demand" to avoid confusion?

P.S: I loved Sonic '06. I mean like, unconditionally, in a weird, it-reminds-me-of-something-good-and-therefore-is-good sort of a way. Yup, it boggles me, too...

Given this game, that would only cause more confusion.

And your unconditional love means nothing to anyone else.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Otherwise what would be the point in doing it?

Pissing off gamers who choose to care about it and then laughing at their baffled outrage.

I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I don't understand the hate this game gets. The only real control problems I had were with Sonic. Shadow and Silver work fine for me. I'm probably one of the few people who love this game but I really wish I could undertsand why it's hated so much. IMO it's better than ShtH at least.

If this will be a little more expensive than a used or Amazon copy, then I won't get it. I'll get the retail copy any day!

And yes, I do want to get this game because I'm curious as to just how bad it is. XP

You might not like it or you might. I guess it's a matter of taste, few people love it, many hate it.

Pissing off gamers who choose to care about it and then laughing at their baffled outrage.

If you're calling the opinions of those who think this is stupid "outrage" then you clearly haven't seen true outrage before.

I really don't see why people are getting so pissed about this. Believe it or not, there were people who liked Sonic 06. If you don't like it, just ignore it. Meanwhile, people who want to try the game will be able to try it on demand. I don't see how anyone loses here...

Just giving my ten cents:

I'm a Sonic fan, been one since 1991. I love me my Sonic games, but I don't love EVERY Sonic game. Just the good ones. Sonic 3 was awesome, I loved it. Sonic 3D Blast was alright, I kinda liked it. Sonic '06 sucked super monkeyballs. I hated it. You say "If you don't like it, just ignore it." But if I ignore it, and SEGA doesn't hear my pleas for a better Sonic game, then they'll just keep churning out shit like Sonic '06.

In fact, I believe (a majority) the fans were so vocal in their hate of Sonic '06 that Sonic Team got their act together and made Sonic Unleashed. A game that I really liked. So no, fans should not keep quiet about what they dislike.

The only real control problems I had were with Sonic.

What exactly are people referring to when they talk about control problems in this game? I never had a problem with control of any kind. When I move the control stick, Sonic follows, when I press A, he jumps...unless you're talking about something else like the gameplay glitches. Could you explain this?

I really wish I could undertsand why it's hated so much.

It's probably because everyone was hoping this would be the triumphant "rebirth" of Sonic, but when it turned out so full of rushed problems, and was the third in a string of mediocre-to-poorly-recepted games, Sonic's reputation faltered in the gaming community. It wasn't as hated upon its release, but now that Sonic is the laughing stock of the gaming community (according to some people), some view this as the game that "killed" Sonic, and want to distance themselves from it and the things it did as far as possible.

What exactly are people referring to when they talk about control problems in this game? I never had a problem with control of any kind. When I move the control stick, Sonic follows, when I press A, he jumps...unless you're talking about something else like the gameplay glitches. Could you explain this?

Sonic turned too quickly, homing attacks didn't always register, homing attacks didn't always hurt other enemies, jumping didn't hurt enemies, snow boarding and skate boarding controls were absolutely horrendous and didn't even run on physics, etc.

Hmm, I see...although I don't ever recall Homing Attacks not registering or not hurting enemies. Maybe it was just me.

If you're calling the opinions of those who think this is stupid "outrage" then you clearly haven't seen true outrage before.

I was using the tabloid version of the term, where even the merest hint of annoyance is described as outrage.