Awoo.

Sonic The Hedgehog 06 coming to 360's "On Demand" service

Matriculated

Sonic turned too quickly, homing attacks didn't always register, homing attacks didn't always hurt other enemies, jumping didn't hurt enemies, snow boarding and skate boarding controls were absolutely horrendous and didn't even run on physics, etc.

And don't forget the absolutely horrifying speed sections. I'll be amazed if anyone actually was able to tolerate 'em.

And don't forget the absolutely horrifying speed sections. I'll be amazed if anyone actually was able to tolerate 'em.

Not to mention the lazy, half-assed Amigos thrown in and arbitarily forced on you for no good reason. That's even ignoring the fact that most of them don't have more than two or three attacks (Amy has only one) and that most are painfully slow, clumsy and downright useless (the hit detection on Tails' and Knuckles' moves, in particular, is dreadful). I'm all for big rosters in all honesty, but with the way the extra characters were thrown in you really have to question what the point was in the first place.

...aaaaaand we're turning this into another generic "Sonic '06 is crap" thread aren't we? I suppose I should've seen that coming. :lol:

I'm a Sonic fan, been one since 1991. I love me my Sonic games, but I don't love EVERY Sonic game. Just the good ones. Sonic 3 was awesome, I loved it. Sonic 3D Blast was alright, I kinda liked it. Sonic '06 sucked super monkeyballs. I hated it. You say "If you don't like it, just ignore it." But if I ignore it, and SEGA doesn't hear my pleas for a better Sonic game, then they'll just keep churning out shit like Sonic '06.

In fact, I believe (a majority) the fans were so vocal in their hate of Sonic '06 that Sonic Team got their act together and made Sonic Unleashed. A game that I really liked. So no, fans should not keep quiet about what they dislike.

But it's not like Sega's releasing a sequel to Sonic 06, they're simply putting it on the 360's on-demand service. If you buy a game and hate it, you have every right to complain so that the companies can learn from their mistakes. However, complaing just because Sega's putting the game online instead of making people go to the store to buy it seems pretty pointless. It's like complaing that stores are still selling copies of 06.

And like you said, Sega already learned their mistakes and made Unleashed. I doubt that they'll suddenly think 06 was a huge success even if it does sell well on-demand.

And like you said, Sega already learned their mistakes and made Unleashed. I doubt that they'll suddenly think 06 was a huge success even if it does sell well on-demand.

A successful Sonic game is the kind of game you can use to sell compilation discs fifteen years after its release.

I am, and I know there was at least one other member who said they are, but I forgot who posted it.

...aaaaaand we're turning this into another generic "Sonic '06 is crap" thread aren't we? I suppose I should've seen that coming. :lol:

Of course. It's not like any discussion pertaining to Sonic 2006 comes out any differently. XD

And like you said, Sega already learned their mistakes and made Unleashed.

In this regard, actually, I recall someone saying that Shadow the Hedgehog tried too hard to be dark and edgy, and Sonic 2006 tried too hard to be like the Sonic Adventure series. I think Sonic Unleashed tried too hard to be everything that Sonic 2006 wasn't. Just my opinion, of course.

But it's not like Sega's releasing a sequel to Sonic 06, they're simply putting it on the 360's on-demand service. If you buy a game and hate it, you have every right to complain so that the companies can learn from their mistakes. However, complaing just because Sega's putting the game online instead of making people go to the store to buy it seems pretty pointless. It's like complaing that stores are still selling copies of 06.

Actually, even with SEGA re-releasing '06 on demand gives me even MORE reasons to complain. (1) Why do we need this crappy game taking up download space? (2) Why isn't SEGA releasing BETTER direct download games? (3) High sales from dimwits who don't know how bad the game is could still mean an influence on the next Sonic game (more Hedgehog variants! More realistic humans! more time travel, princesses and castles! More multiple playable characters!)

Actually, even with SEGA re-releasing '06 on demand gives me even MORE reasons to complain. (1) Why do we need this crappy game taking up download space? (2) Why isn't SEGA releasing BETTER direct download games? (3) High sales from dimwits who don't know how bad the game is could still mean an influence on the next Sonic game (more Hedgehog variants! More realistic humans! more time travel, princesses and castles! More multiple playable characters!)

I'm with Gamerguy21 on this one. Releasing Sonic 06 on this downloadable service doesn't hurt anybody, least of all you Doctor Eggman.

Sega will never try something like Sonic 06 again. The public reaction to Sonic 06 has made that abundantly clear; Sega has stated many times that they've got the message and won't be repeating that experience. Sega's response to the fan outcry was of course to create Sonic Unleashed; a truly great game and one which is nothing like Sonic 06. Conversely, the fans reaction to Sonic Unleashed and the vast number of copies sold, has made sure that Sega will continue down this road for a long time yet. Sonic Unleashed is the future, for now nothing can change that. Sega will be building upon the strong foundation set by Sonic Unleashed, using all of the advances gained from developing the game. This much should be obvious to everyone.

Now, without working for Sega I can only guess what their motives here are. However, to make an educated guess, I believe that Sega is 'testing the water' with Sonic 06. They have selected an old game, which has already paid for itself; Sega faces zero risk with this choice. Once released, Sega will be watching Sonic's 06 performance very carefully; if only to see if consumers will actually use this service. If Sega is satisfied with the results we may then see other older games appearing for download. In turn, if these games are successful, Sega may take a risk and try introducing recent games. However, currently nothing is certain, just wait and see what happens.

Regardless, nobody should be concerned about Sonic 06 here. That game is done; Sega knows this, as should all of you. Look forward to the future, one in the image of Sonic Unleashed. It is really that simple.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that's something the game could have done without. I don't know who thoght those stages would be a fun inclusion...

Edited by CreamyBagel

Now, without working for Sega I can only guess what their motives here are. However, to make an educated guess, I believe that Sega is 'testing the water' with Sonic 06. They have selected an old game, which has already paid for itself; Sega faces zero risk with this choice. Once released, Sega will be watching Sonic's 06 performance very carefully; if only to see if consumers will actually use this service. If Sega is satisfied with the results we may then see other older games appearing for download. In turn, if these games are successful, Sega may take a risk and try introducing recent games. However, currently nothing is certain, just wait and see what happens.

While I agree with nearly all of your points (SEGA has heard the negative reaction to '06 and responded with Unleashed), I'd have to disagree that they are "testing the waters" of downloadable games with their most poorly received flagship titles of the past decade. I assume they're just shoveling out the crap, hoping to make a few more bucks on a game that is clearly making little to nothing in the tangible retail world. Most gamers can buy '06 used for bargain prices, or are receiving it in buy 2 get 1 free deals.

• Bad Quality Post 1

While I agree with nearly all of your points (SEGA has heard the negative reaction to '06 and responded with Unleashed), I'd have to disagree that they are "testing the waters" of downloadable games with their most poorly received flagship titles of the past decade. I assume they're just shoveling out the crap, hoping to make a few more bucks on a game that is clearly making little to nothing in the tangible retail world. Most gamers can buy '06 used for bargain prices, or are receiving it in buy 2 get 1 free deals.

Well, I admit it is only a theory. Without Sega commenting, we will never be entirely sure what their plans are (if any) for this service.

If anything, I think that Sonic 06's bargain price helped Sega decide that this game is the one they would use. I am going to assume that this sort of DLC is going to be much cheaper then retail. This presents a problem for Sega, normal consumers could start demanding that retail games be sold at the same cheaper price. By selecting a game already in the budget price range, Sega can avoid this problem.

Anyway, I just hope that nobody goes into a panic because of this move. Sonic 06 won't influence the future. I'm glad you agree. :)

Edited by Kintor

Yeah I agree with Eggman on this one. They probably are trying to make a bit of extra dosh on a failed game. People are still buying it despite the reviews and negative reception and some people didn't have a 360 or PS3 when it was released so are making up for it.

I kind of feel like the more people say 06 is terrible, the more I will enjoy it when I finally play it, because there is no way it can live up to the hype of how supposedly bad it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of feel like the more people say 06 is terrible, the more I will enjoy it when I finally play it, because there is no way it can live up to the hype of how supposedly bad it is.

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

You're welcome. :D

I stated in another thread that I wonder if this is part of the reason I like 2006 so much. After seeing the reception after its release, I thought, "Technical problems don't bother me, so I think I'll like this game." I didn't actually get it for two years, but I still liked it.

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

SONIC 2006 IS TERRIBLE

You're welcome. :D

Hooray for reverse psychology! :lol:

I stated in another thread that I wonder if this is part of the reason I like 2006 so much. After seeing the reception after its release, I thought, "Technical problems don't bother me, so I think I'll like this game." I didn't actually get it for two years, but I still liked it.

Good to hear at least one good word put in for it.:3

Maybe it's one of those "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" things.:3

• Thumbs Up 1

:lol:

This is too funny.

I have to admit, when Sonic 06 first came out... I actually played it and beat it.

But now I see what a terrible game it really is compared to Sonic Unleashed.

I wonder how many people will download this..

It seems to me like Sega should be doing everything they can to prevent anyone who hasn't already played this game from playing it. If someone were to buy Sonic 06 over this service and not like it, that makes them much less likely to buy a theoretical better Sonic game released at a later date. This factor could have already impacted Sonic Unleashed 360's sales considerably.

I'm also not a fan of this service, it seem to me to be an attempt to eliminate the used game market. And what about later on when this service no longer exists? Without transferring the license, stuff off of XBLA can only be played on the console that downloaded them, unless you're signed into Xbox Live.

Edited by Phos

Nice. ^^ Hopefully, this will get rid of some of the glitches, although I still prefer to own the game on a disc. Still, I'll probably download it once it's released.

It seems to me like Sega should be doing everything they can to prevent anyone who hasn't already played this game from playing it. If someone were to buy Sonic 06 over this service and not like it, that makes them much less likely to buy a theoretical better Sonic game released at a later date. This factor could have already impacted Sonic Unleashed 360's sales considerably.

You raise a very good point. Why make this game so accessible, when it's really the shame of the entire 18 year career of Sonic? I guess they figure that more money equals a better Sega, which equals better games in the future?

They're probably just trying to pull more profit from the title. After all, with the classics all for download, some people are gonna wanna see what next-gen Sonic looks like. That's if they haven't heard about it already.

You raise a very good point. Why make this game so accessible, when it's really the shame of the entire 18 year career of Sonic? I guess they figure that more money equals a better Sega, which equals better games in the future?

They're probably just trying to pull more profit from the title. After all, with the classics all for download, some people are gonna wanna see what next-gen Sonic looks like. That's if they haven't heard about it already.

HAHAHAHA, boy are they in for a surprise this game is garbage.

And LMAO at this review

Even KidConfidence trashed this game. Edited by silencer226