Awoo.

Dear Internet: Grow Up

SuperStingray

Holy shit you are a horrible person.

I don't even care if her videos suck, no, the hate she gets is not justified.

Her views are counterproductive. I hate her views as much as I would hate a sexist because that is what they are.

I'll admit I haven't really watched much of her stuff or kept up with all the details of this mess, but I'm not seeing where the frothing hatred is justified.

Here is her kickstarter pitch...

The first 60 seconds we get the following.

"Females are potrayed as sexist and often misogynistic characters" Then we get "I'm going to make 5 videos exploring this representation"

Ok thats fine... the rest of the pitch is the same 60 seconds repeated along with 'why I'm so great/I did videos about cartoons and films' The only other bit of important information is the following.

"The task will require research into hundreds of different games and characters"

So the task is basically "I will make 5 videos exploring the representation of women in videogames and will use a wide variety of characters to support this claim"

Ok fine... maybe it does justify the $6000 price tag... which eventually ended up at just under $160,000...

So the moment she announces this and states how she's a 'pop culture critic with a good history of critical study' more people looked at her stuff... we had a very good idea of both her opinions on men, women, their representation in media and her own personal views on pretty much everything she's commented on.

So if she's doing research into this, which is going to cover hundreds of games, hundreds of characters and potentially thousands of hours of research right?

If thats the case... why then, less than 24 hours after the kickstarter ended... does she then post this claim...

I apologize for all the hate speech, misogyny, racism, threats and ignorance that were left below over this 2 week period. The trolls only managed to prove to everyone that sexism in gaming is indeed a huge problem.

Excuse me? As someone who has recieved abuse online, no it most certainly does not. It proves that people can act sexist and be abusing on the internet, it most certainly does not prove that it's A HUGE PROBLEM in gaming.

You cannot deny that claim is a complete farcical standpoint for her own weak arguments, that is not evidence at all to say 'there is sexism in the videogame industry.' Even if there is a major problem with sexism in the games industry, stating "Oh the comments on this youtube video prove that" is a complete lie and desperate attempt to gain support for your own agenda.

She doesn't know the identities or professions of anyone who commented on that video, be it supporters, critics or neutral parties, yet it's enough for her to state that it's proof of a problem, oh sorry... A huge problem?

The justification for her to lock/disable ratings and comments was the level of abuse she was reciving... I agree, that isn't a nice thing to see or deal with... .. ... .. So why then is she using the said material at talks and conventions and even on the fucking news to get even more money and promote her stance as a critic who knows what she's talking about? And have we mentioned yet that she's also being paid to use this material for various talks thats been going on?

"I've got to do a talk about sexism and abuse against women in the game industry... hmmm I could use established and pre-existing examples... or I could take very selective stuff from my youtube account that supports this theory"

... .. .... nobody sees a problem with this? using material which is not proof of the thing you're promoting to support your argument?

Meanwhile... nearly 9 months on... the first video comes out... and it's the most basic of put together pieces...

Out of the hundreds of characters that she was going to use... we get a focus on 2... Zelda and Peach...

Out of the hundreds of games she was going to look at... we get a focus on two franchises... Mario and Zelda.

Where has the hundreds of hours of research gone? Where has the percentage of that initial $6000 gone? Where is the cirtical study?

And this is the main issue here. Her ciritical study, she hasn't studied or looked at anything, you just have to watch one or maybe two of her older videos to see all what she's done is have a set of pre-concepted ideas and then looked for the most basic of examples to support it. Then locked/denied ANYONE from commenting or criticising the work.

That is wrong on so many levels.

She's conned people, becuause she's taken an absurd ammount of money and not done the research, she's gone into the subject with a preconception and found only very very basic examples to support it. Then she's denied people the right to criticise it. She's not actually looked at anything and decided 'hmm this seems to be a trend' or 'this seems to be a reoccuring theme' The first video was damnsel in distress right? So how come at no point do we ge a study over representation of women from a said studio or company? All we get is 'women are treated like this' as the opening gambit, followed by 'here are reasons why thats right, and you may not challenge this.'

Can anyone here actually explain the reason for the ratings disabled at least? If the argument over comments is that 'there were abusive comments' why the ratings disabled?

Regardless as to the joke of 'lol youtube commentators' when it comes to ratings, they often paint a very accurate representation over the content of the video and how accurate/right it is.

So have the comments/ratings been disabled because of abuse? I propose the following theory.

They've been disabled because she knows her critical theory is weak and open to extreme interpretention and dare I say... Wrong.

You want an example as to why I suspect this is the case? Go back to ANY video which has given genuine criticism of the points taken, there is not the same level of abuse or counter critical scrutiny that this person got... could it be because people don't agree with Anita and her stance on the perception of women in games? The video I posted previously, exactly how is that any different from what Anita originally set out to do? It's not. Only difference is that her production values are a lot better and she's not asked for money. The views are equally valied and open to critical scrutiny. Is there abuse? Almost certainly, it's a youtube video. But the vast majority seem quite supportive and there is critical back and forth going on.

So why should this one be any different unless it was made to support a pre-existing stance and agenda... which we can see in her previous articles and videos.

With that in mind I ask you? What did the kickstarter pay for? I assumed it was for someone to research the representation of women in games... what we get is 'why my standpoint is right and why this tiny level of research supports it.' She came out with a nice looking video, and people who had no idea who she was or who were willing to look at her previous projects blindly gave her money and completely fell for it.

• Thumbs Up 7

@ turbojet: We're not talking about civil disagreement here; I don't think she deserves rape and death threats for her views, which we all know is the kind of vitriol she has and will received for these videos. As a result, you're directly condoning behavior towards her I don't even wish on convicted criminals.

• Thumbs Up 4

@ turbojet: We're not talking about civil disagreement here; I don't think she deserves rape and death threats for her views, which we all know is the kind of vitriol she has and will received for these videos. As a result, you're directly condoning behavior towards her I don't even wish on convicted criminals.

As someone who has been threatened with murder before and to be beaten with a police baton for standing in a rally, yeahhh....no. I'm not condoning behavior of trolls. I'm criticizing her lack of backbone and, as Hogfather pointed out, her con artistry. She stole people's money for a video that is wrong and when people try to point out that she is wrong, she just points out people who may or not be serious as her excuse to not have a forum about her views, which is counterproductive and only fuels more hate towards her.

Edited by turbojet

Basically what I think Turbojet is saying "don't let the trolls keep you down; stand strong" in addition to "do some actual fucking research; quit lying/being a hypocrite/etc.".

And I think he has a point. His civil disobedience analogy is that people have gone through far worse than simple insults and death threats to the point of actually being assassinated for stating their view without fear of the opposition, which is the backbone he's talking about. It's like growing up, in other words, because if you don't encourage them to brave brought the storm then you might as well be holding their hands like a defenseless child.

...that actually went better in my head.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 3

Couldn't agree more with Hogfather, what she's done is simply take money to spew feminist rhetoric which clearly (as demonstrated incredibly eloquently in the video hogfather posted) doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I agree with her, as i'm sure the majority of people here do, that games are definitely sexist and that it is a problem, but the way Anita has approached the subject is a joke in my opinion.

Edit: The analogy of the scientist having his theory, that he has clinged to all his life, disproved, getting up and shaking the hand of the man who disproved it springs to mind.

I can't see Anita changing her viewpoint even when her argument is countered, she has her opinion set in stone and nothing's going to shake her from it. Blocking comments and feedback only shows that she won't even bother to listen to other opinions.

I know she got a rough deal when her kickstarter was launched but tough shit, welcome to the internet. It doesn't give you the right to silence all opposition.

Edited by Jake Bird
  • Thumbs Up 3

I feel like that video that I posted a couple pages back, that had oh I dunno 4 minutes of her in it total (of about 20 minutes total) yet somehow garnered /thousands/ of negvotes/gross comments despite it being nothing that would particularly get a rise up out of anything could be a reason she disabled ratings.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like that video that I posted a couple pages back, that had oh I dunno 4 minutes of her in it total (of about 20 minutes total) yet somehow garnered /thousands/ of negvotes/gross comments despite it being nothing that would particularly get a rise up out of anything could be a reason she disabled ratings.

I recall calling it a double edged sword, that on one hand it's to prevent the trolls from messing around in the comments and on the other hand it can also come off as what Turbojet and Hogfather are making a point about here.

Unless I'm missing something here.

So what?

At the very most she should have disabled comments, not the ratings. Disable ratings and you disable the most basic right for people to criticise your opinions because a handful of people don't like you, you are putting forward a critical theory which is a weak one at that which should be challenged by people who want to do so. What makes her so special that people are not allowed to do this. When I was at uni I could if I wanted to challenge the professors critical theory when he was reading from his own book!

Tonight, I've just had some random guy post on one of my videos a ton of abuse because I don't speak either Russian or Polish on a video that has nothing to do with that, so what? I should now disable all comments and ratings on my videos?

More likely she's disabled ratings because the vast majority of people have seen through her argument and can see that she's got an agenda and is looking for any scrap of evidence to support it. 

She's used the abuse she got as evidence to say there is sexism in videogames. The hell? That isn't evidence at all to her argument and it's valid criticism to the fact she's just got an agenda and is looking for any scrap of evidence to support it. So what exactly is she so afraid of? Because it's certainly not the trolls since she's actively taking the comments and using them in the various conferences she runs to make even more money.

• Thumbs Up 4

More likely she's disabled ratings because the vast majority of people have seen through her argument and can see that she's got an agenda and is looking for any scrap of evidence to support it. 

I'd say having two top comments calling her a cunt or a whore would justify that a little bit more than actual intelligent criticism.

Just look at this -

Hm. Good video. It's not even made by Anita, and it's an objective and fair analysis of the problem with plenty of actual evidence! Surely people will be fine with it, because the only reason Anita is disabling the comments and ratings is to avoid intelligent critici-

LOL! Yeah, that goes without saying. xD And wow, my God... What a crazy cunt. And of course, feminists think it's perfectly fine for a woman to say that, as a joke or otherwise, but when a man makes a tasteless joke about a woman, suddenly it's sexism. Fucking hell.

Ooohh-

maybe girls don't want to be developers? maybe they'ed rather not be game developers? i'm not trying to be offensive but you can't exactly force people to be a certain something. If they get turned down because there a girl than that is wrong but maybe they'd rather make a band or become a tv star

Uuuh-

You only live once. Pick something worthwhile to complain about, you worthless, scamming bitch. Anyone who's donated money to this scam-artist is an idiot.

B-but what about the intelligent discussion she's suppre-!?

Yeah, this totally wasnt biased and demonizing men. What a crock of shit.

Uh... huh. Yeah. Alright.

If you're cool with that on your own videos, then more power to you. But I wouldn't want that shit clogging up my email either. And honestly, when you're advocating intelligent discussion in the YouTube comments... for fuck's sake. Nothing of value is being lost. At all. It's not like she's censoring discussion of her videos anywhere that actually matters. 

On another note unrelated to Anita, I recently watched a PBS documentary on the Feminist Movement in America. It's very good, and I'd recommend any critics of the movement actually take some time to watch it. I've taken no shame in declaring myself a feminist for the past year or so, but I'd be lying if I said the ignorant people telling me I'm obviously a misandrist weren't a wee-bit annoying.

Edited by Discoid

I'd say having two top comments calling her a cunt or a whore would justify that a little bit more than actual intelligent criticism.

Just look at this -

Hm. Good video. It's not even made by Anita, and it's an objective and fair analysis of the problem with plenty of actual evidence! Surely people will be fine with it, because the only reason Anita is disabling the comments and ratings is to avoid intelligent critici-

What the fuck does that have to do with it? If anything that just proves my point about her having an agenda and using whatever scrap of evidence she can get to back it up.

The youtube comments have NOTHING to do with sexism in videogames. The fact someone vandalised her wiki page has NOTHING to do with sexism in videogames. Even the fact she had that 'beat up anita' game made has NOTHING to do with sexism in videogames....

So why the hell is she constantly using it to say it does? If she's so confident about her findings and that she's got a point. Remove all the restrictions and let it be open to scrutiny instead of hiding behind "Oh they might call me names."

I'm not suprised that video got the responce it did, she spends the whole time saying "The games are formatted by MEN they're made by MEN! Therefore it's evidence that theres a problem." She's desperately trying to link the abuse she recieved to the videogame industry when theres no link at all. She doesn't know anyone who comments on her video or who vandalises her page, yet somehow thats evidence that theres a problem?

If you're cool with that on your own videos, then more power to you. But I wouldn't want that shit clogging up my email either. And honestly, when you're advocating intelligent discussion in the YouTube comments... for fuck's sake. Nothing of value is being lost. At all. It's not like she's censoring discussion of her videos anywhere that actually matters. 

Oh here we go, yes lets just use the old joke about youtube comments nothing of value har har har... give me a break.  

You put up a critical study. You do not censor it. It doesn't matter where you put it, you do not censor it. Because doing so automatically removes your voice from scrutiny and the right to debate.

Not to mention that she was actually paid to do this study, so even her backers should get a right at the most to openly comment on if their money was well spent and the research credible... but nope... gonna disable comments, it's proof theres a problem and I'm right.

• Thumbs Up 2

I gotta say, this whole idea that locking comments proves you're an intellectual coward feels like reaching to further pin Anita on something. For one, her doing so does not close all avenues you have of criticizing her content, so I don't empathize with the frustration. Make your own videos and articles, or hell, continue posting here; that's what the Internet is for. No one is barred from criticizing her, nor is she even barred from reading some of it, because she didn't want to put up with assholes on a single website. This is a ridiculous assumption, especially so considering I've seen videos of puppies doing tricks locked down for the exact same shit.

Secondly, I find the analogy being made to real-world thinkers flawed. Some philosophers and politicians- if they are in the public eye enough- will invest in security and lockdown from undue harassment if they've done something to put them in the news, and the act of doing so does not imply shielding one's self from actual criticism. It means they simply don't feel the need to suffer a brick to the head simply because they've said controversial things. All in all, it's difficult to take this particular tangent seriously when we all know full and well the kind of online harassment people who subscribe to feminist theory can and do suffer; subsequently, it would be much easier to swallow if these kinds of comments were a once-in-a-million happenstance on this issue.

• Thumbs Up 6

I gotta say, this whole idea that locking comments proves you're an intellectual coward feels like reaching to further pin Anita on something. For one, her doing so does not close all avenues you have of criticizing her content, so I don't empathize with the frustration. Make your own videos and articles, or hell, continue posting here; that's what the Internet is for. No one is barred from criticizing her, nor is she even barred from reading some of it, because she didn't want to put up with assholes on a single website.

It's not a single website. She's censored everything. Her original kickstarter, all her youtube videos, twitter, facebook, her own website... every outlet one would expect to be able to voice criticism she's shut down the right to comment or challenge. You can't challenge her at her conferences because due to the nature of them you'll be removed. So exactly how are you supposed to do it? Make and put up my own video? Good idea, now should I or should I not also lock/disable comments?

And again. I can openly challenge or question a lecturer at a university or college when he reads something from his own book. Why is Anita somehow allowed to be exempt from that same level of scrutiny when she's doing exactly the same thing?

• Thumbs Up 5

What the fuck does that have to do with it? If anything that just proves my point about her having an agenda and using whatever scrap of evidence she can get to back it up.

The youtube comments have NOTHING to do with sexism in videogames. The fact someone vandalised her wiki page has NOTHING to do with sexism in videogames. Even the fact she had that 'beat up anita' game made has NOTHING to do with sexism in videogames....

So why the hell is she constantly using it to say it does? If she's so confident about her findings and that she's got a point. Remove all the restrictions and let it be open to scrutiny instead of hiding behing "Oh they might call me names."

I'm not suprised that video got the responce it did, she spends the whole time saying "The games are formatted by MEN they're made by MEN! Therefore it's evidence that theres a problem." She's desperately trying to link the abuse she recieved to the videogame industry when theres no link at all. She doesn't know anyone who comments on her video or who vandalises her page, yet somehow thats evidence that theres a problem?

Considering the fact that all of this abuse came about directly after she announced that she was going to criticize misogyny in the industry, I'd say it has everything to do with video games. Her first video criticized the use of women as useless "Damsels in Distress". As examples, she noted the face of video games himself, one of the most famous and profitable franchises in video game history (funnily enough, I actually hadn't noticed that in both Ocarina and Wind Waker, Zelda lost practically all of her strength and independence the moment she took on her more stereotypically feminine appearance), the fucking embarrassment that was Star Fox Adventures, and a variety of other examples from games both old and new, many of which were iconic in their own right.

She didn't once talk about the abuse that she dealt with in the actual video, and instead focused on her main point and argument in a concise and professional manner. ... And yet, for months, before the video was even released, she got death threats, online vandalism, personal insults, and... however the fuck you would describe "Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian". This isn't a problem? The fact that the gaming community today is so overtly misogynistic and male-dominated isn't a problem?

When a woman who enjoys playing video games is being publically bullied on the basis that she is a fucking woman, then yes, the problem does exist, and yes, it has to do with video games.

The video is perfectly subject to criticism, and it has been. Intelligently, as well, like with the video linked a few pages back. That being said, she isn't stopping these criticisms from being made nor is she discouraging people from posting them via different avenues. The video that was previously linked was posted on YouTube, has garnered attention of its own, and has not been obstructed through "censorship". 

Again, the only place where discussion is being... *ahem* "censored" is the comment section on her own video. So yes, unfortunately, one would not be able to write a 500 character intelligent criticism on her video amidst a wave of "wow lol wut a slut". A real shame.

Oh here we go, yes lets just use the old joke about youtube comments nothing of value har har har... give me a break.  

You put up a critical study. You do not censor it. It doesn't matter where you put it, you do not censor it. Because doing so automatically removes your voice from scrutiny and the right to debate.

Fine, then. I dare you to find me an intelligent critical analysis of her videos or actions in the comments section of the video I linked before. I want to see this scrutiny and right to debate myself, because my own venture through the comments section proved fruitless.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hogfather, you can challenge a professor on his critical theory and have a debate with him as much as you wish. You cannot- or at least I hope you cannot- call him a useless, man-hating cunt who deserves to be raped to death, at least not without serious intervention by school officials. And if this professor was consistently harassed in a similar manner as this by thousands of people in the school every single day, I would not be surprised if some special rules were put in place to protect him from that kind of abuse, which could potentially limit how much interaction you had with him, or even if he just quit the job outright. Furthermore, him quitting as a result of this kind of abuse would not mean he is adversed to having an actual debate about his philosophies.

• Thumbs Up 4

Considering the fact that all of this abuse came about directly after she announced that she was going to criticize misogyny in the industry, I'd say it has everything to do with video games.

Then I'd say you're completely wrong.

task was the following.

"I will make 5 videos exploring the representation of women in videogames and will use a wide variety of characters to support this claim"

She then gets abuse on her youtube comments...

... .. .... exactly what does that have to do with the subject of study?

"I apologize for all the hate speech, misogyny, racism, threats and ignorance that were left below over this 2 week period. The trolls only managed to prove to everyone that sexism in gaming is indeed a huge problem."

Why does it? Anyone care to offer an explanation? Especially when the first video uses examples from games which were made over 15 years before youtube entered popular culture?

Anita's argument and the justification is pretty much is based on a stereotype and preconcepted agenda. She's supporting her argument using crap that happened which doesn't relate to it. In fact had there been a football game and people started to chant 'Anita is a wanker' is she going to use that to say that's proof of sexism in videogames? Of course not... so exactly how is it proof of sexism in videogames being a huge problem when the comments are said on youtube?

She doesn't know the identity's of the people involved.

She doesn't know if they work in the games industry.

She doesn't know if they work in any entertainment industry.

She knows nothing about those people.

But thats enough to say 'Yes theres a huge problem.'

They're not related. The task was to look at the representation and perception of women in videogames... not to look at the reaction from youtube comments.

If the task had been "I will investigate the treatment of female gamers" then maybe there would be some link and justification. But that was not the task. The task was the perception and treatment of female characters in videogames.

So where does she get off trying to convince people that theres a link to the reaction she got and the content in the videogames itself?

I want to see this scrutiny and right to debate myself, because my own venture through the comments section proved fruitless.

Comments/ratings have been disabled.

Thats not possible... Anita disabled all comments on her videos.

You cannot- or at least I hope you cannot- call him a useless, man-hating cunt who deserves to be raped to death, at least not without serious intervention by school officials.

Your right you can't... so why has everyone been censored here again? If people are abusive then that is a problem for either youtube or for the individual who runs the account to block/censor the specific people doing that. Not a blanket nobody can comment.

• Thumbs Up 3

Her views are sexist, misogynistic in a certain light, inaccurate, and racist, and yet people are defending her from the eventual downpour of being irresponsible for your claims and money. Damn. I can't be the only one seeing the irony.

Here is my question, what is her response to the Metroid series(with the exception of the other M, because very few liked the characterization in it), I mean that was serious girl power from the NES ot the N64, and it makes no avert female references other than the end, and has nothing to do with the overall characterization, just an interesting counterpoint.... But I go no deeper

Here is my question, what is her response to the Metroid series(with the exception of the other M, because very few liked the characterization in it), I mean that was serious girl power from the NES ot the N64, and it makes no avert female references other than the end, and has nothing to do with the overall characterization, just an interesting counterpoint.... But I go no deeper

She contradicts herself. In her thesis," I'll make a man out of you", which you can read at you local university library database, characters like Samus, under her interpretation, would be accused of acting more masculine in effort to look tough and what not. Because Samus has to act in such a manner, she, in of herself, is engaging in a persona of misogyny. However, she goes on later to reaffirm her previous critique by pointing out what she views are positive feminine traits, which include the very traits that are seen as positive male traits. She is in essence moving the goal posts in order to just critique something without any hint of empiricism or objectivity. 

Edited by turbojet

I have to say I'd agree with Nepenthe here. Closing down YouTube comments was the right move, in my opinion. Nothing fruitful would have come of it, given the high profile Sarkeesian has. There are other ways of responding to her videos; indeed several columns, blogs and newspapers often come to blows. Keeping the debate in such formats keeps the discussion civil, and to the point - at least in my opinion.

The way I see it, something like this which has several points to be picked up on needs to be tackled in the appropriate manner, and YouTube comments are hardly appropriate for a civilised debate. I'm sure they have a character limit, and they update with such speed that it's hard to keep a proper discussion going.

Edited by MamboCat

She contradicts herself. In her thesis," I'll make a man out of you", which you can read at you local university library database, characters like Samus, under her interpretation, would be accused of acting more masculine in effort to look tough and what not. Because Samus has to act in such a manner, she, in of herself, is engaging in a persona of misogyny. However, she goes on later to reaffirm her previous critique by pointing out what she views are positive feminine traits, which include the very traits that are seen as positive male traits. She is in essence moving the goal posts in order to just critique something with any hint of empiricism or objectivity. 

huh? (scratches head) wouldnt that kinda go against the equal rights crowd? and in no way was samus forced to be more like a man, I would just chalk that up to personal life choices and choosing to make her own path.... and I didnt entirely understand what the quote means, I am an AE major, not a legal/lit one

The moment she does that means that it is no longer a critical study and is her just stating her opinion. An opinion that is, again, sexist, misogynistic, racist, inaccurate, and for the most part...wrong. 

Oh, and she doesn't care much about equal rights because she has justified segregation by gender before.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Anita is not going to unblock comments, ratings the least she could do is address the common valid intelligent criticisms of her work in a short video or blog post. 

Personally that is all I ask of her.

At least try to defend her position. 

I also feel she is shutting out her fans by not responding to them like other people on Youtube do. 

As for the comments being blocked/disabled for every 10 trolls there are there is usually someone who isn't and is willing to fight your corner in the comment section. Granted she gets a lot hate but she gets a lot of support too her kickstarter is a testament that.

What is annoying about her conference is she didn't say "when I announced my project with my kickstarter video I received a large amount of offensive, threatening, violent remarks but I also got a lot of support, kind words from both male and  females supporting and donating to help fund and support my project if it wasn't for their support I wouldn't of been able to have carry out this project and I thank them".

Instead she singled out male video gamers and it made her look she was exploiting the abuse she got. She rarely acknowledges any of the support she gets which I don't think is fair on her fans. sleep.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 2

And before someone says, "Show me," I'll be happy to write a full analysis of her critique on this board when I'm done with my paper about Artificial Intelligence. Until then, you are free to critique my claims that she is sexist, racist, and misogynistic in her own way. Oh...and inaccurate.

Um...can I see links of evidence where Anita is being racist and justifying gender segregation? The latter I can see considering her one-sidedness at times, but the former sounds a bit bizzare to believe....

But if anything, that would pretty much be a nail to the coffin of what I (and maybe others) think of her. The video Hogfather posted made me do almost a complete 180 towards the Damsel in Distress video Anita posted, so this'll be interesting to see for myself.