Awoo.

Undertale (PC, PS4, Switch) & Deltarune (PC DEMO)

Pompadour

22 minutes ago, Nerfuffle said:

Though the more I think about it, the fact that it’s a neutral run ending implies that you have killed at least one monster up until that point. (And got EXP and LUV from it) 

Actually...

the game forces you to get the Neutral Ending even if you spared everyone.

• Thumbs Up 3

53 minutes ago, sonicgirl313 said:

Actually...

Hidden Content

Ah! Never mind then. I still don't buy the "Frisk dies" thing for reasons others have already mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mega said:

It may force you, but you can reload right away to do the pacifist ending if you didn't kill anybody.

I know that, I did that.

12508736_1063021673740412_23624926207082

Ever since October/November last year, I've been hearing a lot of positive things about Undertale. Some of my friends have recommended me to play this dozens of times and, while I was taken aback by the IMMENSE hype, I kept that hype in check and went in knowing almost nothing about Undertale. All I knew was it had bullet hell gameplay, a way to beat enemies without killing them, weird characters and badass music. I bought it during the Steam Sale last year and now that I've beaten the game on True Pacifist I can honestly say that...wow, yes, this is amazing.

The nostalgic NES aspect of it doesn't really interest me (besides the visual art style!). No, what I love most about this is the characters, the story and especially the gameplay! It's so unique, so different from other more recent games! How can something like Undertale be better than any samey AAA game released over the past few years? Because it has heart, wit and charm. The characters are eccentric yet so loveable, my favourites being Toriel and Papyrus and it's surprising just how much depth there is to the plot. Oh! And how could I forget dat Godly soundtrack?! This is one of THE best videogame soundtracks I have ever heard and the music in the True final boss battle really pumps you up it's so epic! I could listen to that track endlessly, seriously.

Anyway, I know I'm gonna have to do Genocide soon which I'm...honestly not looking forward to. DX I'll probably wait a few weeks and then go back to it for more Undertale fun! This is a great game and I see now why people love It so much!

Now for spoiler questions!

Spoiler

What the hell was up with the Temmi's? Are they a spoof of internet trolls or something? Didn't quite get the joke there and thought they were mega random.

Spoiler

Your real name is Frisk, right? Well, how come the characters beforehand called you (in my case) Gabzie instead before Asriel appeared? And err..are they a boy or a girl?

Spoiler

JESUS CHRIST WHAT'S THAT ELDRITCH ABOMINATION OF A FLOWEY BOSS that thing almost gave me a heart attack when I saw it!

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

12508736_1063021673740412_23624926207082

Ever since October/November last year, I've been hearing a lot of positive things about Undertale. Some of my friends have recommended me to play this dozens of times and, while I was taken aback by the IMMENSE hype, I kept that hype in check and went in knowing almost nothing about Undertale. All I knew was it had bullet hell gameplay, a way to beat enemies without killing them, weird characters and badass music. I bought it during the Steam Sale last year and now that I've beaten the game on True Pacifist I can honestly say that...wow, yes, this is amazing.

The nostalgic NES aspect of it doesn't really interest me (besides the visual art style!). No, what I love most about this is the characters, the story and especially the gameplay! It's so unique, so different from other more recent games! How can something like Undertale be better than any samey AAA game released over the past few years? Because it has heart, wit and charm. The characters are eccentric yet so loveable, my favourites being Toriel and Papyrus and it's surprising just how much depth there is to the plot. Oh! And how could I forget dat Godly soundtrack?! This is one of THE best videogame soundtracks I have ever heard and the music in the True final boss battle really pumps you up it's so epic! I could listen to that track endlessly, seriously.

Anyway, I know I'm gonna have to do Genocide soon which I'm...honestly not looking forward to. DX I'll probably wait a few weeks and then go back to it for more Undertale fun! This is a great game and I see now why people love It so much!

Now for spoiler questions!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I can answer those questions, it's actually very simple.

Spoiler

Temmie is based off of one of the developers that helped make the game, Temmie Chang.

Spoiler

The characters actually never once refer to you by the name, You're thinking of the game over screens which turn out to be from tapes that you can find in the True Lab. Also Toby Fox has said on Twitter that the reason he left's details about Frisk vague such as gender, preference, history, etc. is because he wanted to leave it up to the fan's imagination.

Spoiler

About everyone had that reaction when they saw Photoshop Flowey.[/spoiler}

• Thumbs Up 4

On 27/12/2015 at 6:57 PM, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I didn't even know about nor needed the Temmie Armor until I got to Asgore, because he was literally kicking my ass lol. But yea, the Cloudy Glasses glasses method is the most efficient way and you can do it in half of the time.

ANYWHO, I got the neutral ending and I'm doing the path towards true pacifist

Hidden Content

OOOOk, first, Temmies are a joke species, named after the artist who worked on most of the characters for the game, second, the Frisk thing will make sense once you beat the True Pacifist, belive me, it's a big spoiler.

Also Photoshop/Omega Flowey is fucking nuts, yea. 

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/a-modder-started-work-porting-undertale-to-nintendo-3ds-and-theres-a-tech-d

So apparently, a modder is working on porting Undertale on the 3DS. That's pretty cool but how would that even work with some of the crazy shit this game does?!

Oh, and the article above was written by your main man, @VizardJeffhog.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for your answers sonicgirl313. ^^ I've heard Genocide answers a lot of questions too but I'm still not up to playing through that. T-T

I actually have the urge to play through Undertale again now. It's that good. XD

So this is interesting:

Russian game developer Edik Zykov is working on an Undertale fan game that, for now, is known under the working title “Undertale 3D.”

Despite that working title, the game will actually be 2.5D, it using sprites mapped to a 3D environment. This is the approach that Zykov took with his previous fan game Yume Nikki 3D.

“Undertale 3D” also will not be a direct remake of Undertale and its story. Zykov tells Siliconera that it’ll be a short, spin-off story of his own creation.

“The story takes the idea of the Underground suddenly making it into 3D one day and things that happened because of that,” Zykov says. “Some dark entity in hte Underground plans to use the power of 3D to get into the real world where the player is, and Frisk has to stop its evil plan.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/13/undertale-3d-happening/#ygc4WHzYWhwep3DI.99

An Undertale 3D version. And it looks like the person responsible for this is using the game's use of it's meta/fourth wall breaking for the story, which is pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've heard of it, but I didn't know it was actually breaking the fourth wall about it suddenly being 3D, that sounds intriguing. Hope this game comes to fruition. 

I'm on my second Pacifist playthrough now making sure not to skip on the little details (especially near the end!). Still dreading that Genocide run, argh...but playing through Undertale again makes me question one more thing!

Spoiler

Do we ever find out who the other six humans were that were killed for their Souls? I assume it's mentioned in Genocide. I know that there's more to Sans than meets the eye and that he is the final boss of Genocide. Doeshe have anything to do with the human's Souls?

Not too many spoilers please in case it is actually explained in Genocide run. ^^;

52 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

I've heard of it, but I didn't know it was actually breaking the fourth wall about it suddenly being 3D, that sounds intriguing. Hope this game comes to fruition. 

I'm on my second Pacifist playthrough now making sure not to skip on the little details (especially near the end!). Still dreading that Genocide run, argh...but playing through Undertale again makes me question one more thing!

Hidden Content

Not too many spoilers please in case it is actually explained in Genocide run. ^^;

Once again I can answer that.

No, not even in the Genocide run you find out who the six other humans are. Instead the game gives small hints to what they were like. Depending on the results you get in the snowball golf game, you'll receive a colored flag that will tell the traits corresponding with each heart color. Also throughout the game you can find items that belonged to the previous humans. You can also find this out in the Photoshop Flowey battle when each of the souls use their corresponding weapon against you.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't get why everyone assumes all of the fallen humans were children (if that were the case I'd believe more easily that they were being tossed into the underground and not just lost wanderers)  And how many of them ever even made it to Asgore? If where you find their special item is where they fell in battle, then Frisk is the only human who ever made it to Asgore. Which means either some other random monster or Undyne killed the rest. The farthest any human got seems to be the Mettaton resort.

Edit: It seems way back in 2013, Toby said that the other victims were children.

But anyway while I'm here I'd like to ask a question. Tumblr is literally soaked with Undertale Alternate Universe content. There are so many right now that I fear they will become self aware, but a few of them are kind of interesting. For example I like Aftertale and Underswap is kind of cute...do any of you guys know what I'm talking about...?

7 minutes ago, Dejablue said:

I don't get why everyone assumes all of the fallen humans were children (if that were the case I'd believe more easily that they were being tossed into the underground and not just lost wanderers)  And how many of them ever even made it to Asgore? If where you find their special item is where they fell in battle, then Frisk is the only human who ever made it to Asgore. Which means either some other random monster or Undyne killed the rest. The farthest any human got seems to be the Mettaton resort.

You also need to take into account that monsters don't really age that quick until they have a child, if I recall correctly.

So I really doubt that characters like Undyne really had the chance to kill and steal a human's SOUL when it could've been centuries since the last human fell. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dejablue said:

Edit: It seems way back in 2013, Toby said that the other victims were children.

But anyway while I'm here I'd like to ask a question. Tumblr is literally soaked with Undertale Alternate Universe content. There are so many right now that I fear they will become self aware, but a few of them are kind of interesting. For example I like Aftertale and Underswap is kind of cute...do any of you guys know what I'm talking about...?

I'm familiar with Underswap but not Aftertale, I think I only heard about it briefly. I even made my own Undertale AU called Underfates... which reminds me, I really need to write that third chapter.

Toby fox confirmed on his twitter that all the previous humans made it to Asgore and also died to him. I'll have to do some digging for the tweet, but I wanna say it was mid to late October?

9 minutes ago, Mega said:

Toby fox confirmed on his twitter that all the previous humans made it to Asgore and also died to him. I'll have to do some digging for the tweet, but I wanna say it was mid to late October?

Wait so does that mean they all happened to drop their belongings along the way since you can find them all over the Underground. That leaves you to wonder, what did the heck did they fight Asgore with? ...Well that is if they fought, the possibility that they refused to fight back and died to Asgore's attacks could be possible.

Still trying to find the link to that tweet. It's buried under my favorites.

As for Underswap... eh, I have some misgivings with it, mainly in that the roles are swapped, but so are the personalities, so the characters aren't really themselves anymore. There's great art, and it IS cute, but I greatly prefer Storyshift because it keeps everyone true to their original characters for the most part, though I am working on my own take on some of the popular swaps (Sans and Papyrus, Undyne and Alphys, Toriel and Asgore).

I wanna make it a little AU project, but I'm wary of backlash from Underswap lovers.

So this Undyne must be crazy as fuck...

I'm in her house enjoying myself, and the moment I move from my seat she Chaos Spears the damn table and tells me to sit still and enjoy myself.

Like, what the fuck?:blink:

• Thumbs Up 2

My god, this game has wowed me. With all the hype, this was unexpected and I was expecting to be disappointed but man. The narrative, design, sound is all so great. The gameplay is pretty creative too. :)

Here's hoping to beat Undyne soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in her house enjoying myself, and the moment I move from my seat she Chaos Spears the damn table and tells me to sit still and enjoy myself.

Not crazy, just determined at literally everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Well she loves to be over-the-top and stuff, so what'd you expect?

See, this is why my take on Science!Undyne is a very brash, hotheaded mad scientist who is DETERMINED to break the barrier at all costs. Uses science as an outlet to make her anime fantasies come true, and all of Mettaton's sets are much more... anime/Japanese media inspired. Sentai set, Magical girl set (Mettaton as Tuxedo Mask, anyone?), and either some kinda giant robot set or... Shounen fighting series, a la Dragon Ball. Or maybe something JRPG-inspired, with giant swords and whatnot.

Her boss fight would be in a malfunctioning mech suit, which ends up exploding, and you get the option to save her.

At least, that's the rough idea. I think it's fun to imagine how IC swaps would work, though I'm still hashing out how to justify...

Spoiler

Toriel and Asgore.

The Undyne friendship sequence is by far one of my favorites because of hos RIDICULOUS it gets. She's a great char overall, IMO.

47 minutes ago, Mega said:

See, this is why my take on Science!Undyne is a very brash, hotheaded mad scientist who is DETERMINED to break the barrier at all costs. Uses science as an outlet to make her anime fantasies come true, and all of Mettaton's sets are much more... anime/Japanese media inspired. Sentai set, Magical girl set (Mettaton as Tuxedo Mask, anyone?), and either some kinda giant robot set or... Shounen fighting series, a la Dragon Ball. Or maybe something JRPG-inspired, with giant swords and whatnot.

Her boss fight would be in a malfunctioning mech suit, which ends up exploding, and you get the option to save her.

At least, that's the rough idea. I think it's fun to imagine how IC swaps would work, though I'm still hashing out how to justify...

Hidden Content

The Undyne friendship sequence is by far one of my favorites because of hos RIDICULOUS it gets. She's a great char overall, IMO.

I'm curious how you would justify

Frisk and Chara or even Monster Kid and Asriel considering their personalities... well to be fair you can give Frisk any kind of personality but as for Chara we or know Chara is pretty much bloodthirsty.

Yeah it is strange seeing Papyrus make puns.

Well, I'm not following Underswap 100%.  Napstablook and Mettaton? Not swapped, though Undyne being royal scientist means that Mettaton is more open about who he is (cherish that ghost!!!). Asriel is still Asriel, though I've toyed with some other minor swaps. Maybe Temmie with the Annoying Dog? Bratty and Catty with the guards? I toyed with Gerson and Gaster, but Gaster's such an enigma that I'm tempted to just leave him as is until/if we learn more.

My main goal is to focus on a few major swaps and how those small changes would affect the Undertale story/world, while differentiating it from Underswap (don't want to step on toes, and I want to give this AU its own identity).  I actually have a lot of thoughts on these swaps, though they're all a bit rough/tentative. Sans and Toriel are the ones I'm still hashing things out for, and the former... differs a bit from Papyrus in canon for reasons I'll go over in the spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Papyrus: Still the energetic, naive, and well-meaning skeleton he is in canon, but his interest in the royal guard is swapped for an interest in science, thanks to his brother and the BRILLIANT Dr. Undyne. He acts as Undyne's... rather clueless lab assistant, prone to making things explode, but it's fun working with Undyne on science AND cooking, so how can he refuse? Met Asgore after repeatedly leaving spaghetti at the door to the ruins (a token of friendship, in his mind). Promised to protect Frisk, but is... far less subtle about it than Sans is in canon, to the point where he ends up following them around as best he can.

He's the one who suggests that Sans date the human if they flirt, and I'm kinda envisioning it as Sans finding the situation kinda amusing, then Papyrus sliiiides in and things get a little crazy. He created a "battle body" costume for Sans once he got into the royal guard (more on that shortly), and still wears his own costume... under a labcoat, which looks about as awkward as it sounds, but he doesn't care.

Sans: Still a laid back, pun-loving skeleton with a sense of humor. Took an interest in the royal guard after befriending Queen Toriel over their shared love of terrible jokes and out of a desire to protect his brother. Still has an interest in science/timelines/etc, but was a more active force in dealing with humans... for a time. The thing with humans is that they're sorta predictable. They come, they try to leave, they die. Hard to really get attached when things feel a bit inevitable. Combine that with vague knowledge of the "anomaly"/resets, and he's become much lazier and far less motivated, even if he hides it beneath a big smile, practical jokes, and plenty of awful puns.

Decided to run with him being in the guard because, unlike canon Papyrus, Sans is shown to be more ruthless at times. See: "you'd be dead where you stand." He warms up to Frisk over time, however, and in the True Pacifist end, he's one of the first to step in before Frisk and Toriel's fight. Oh, and he and Flowey often end up trolling each other.

Alphys: Strong, but very shy, awkward, and insecure. More of a tactical fighter than Undyne, she's taken the time to research what humans are capable of. Through digesting anime and manga, she's come to admire the idea of humans, but knows that their power overshadows that of monsters, and a human with a desire to kill could reduce everyone to dust. May have failed in protecting some monsters from one of the previous humans (I'm on the fence), and fights Frisk with far more reluctance. Still working out a boss gimmick, but I was thinking the fight would end not with a chase, but with her realizing she can't commit to killing a kid who won't even fight back and begging Frisk to turn around, so she can forget she even saw them. ...at least in pacifist. In neutral, she'd become steadily more determined to fight as she takes damage.

Still has a mutual crush on Undyne. Still enjoys taking trips to the dump. It's her element...

Already talked about Undyne a bit, so....

Asgore: Declared war on humanity and claimed at least one soul, but was so ashamed of himself that he retreated to the ruins, unable to commit. Tried to atone by fulfilling the role of caretaker of the ruins and guiding any humans who fall down as best he can. While protective of the previous children, he was initially less wary of letting them roam, as Toriel was already disgusted with his plan. Unfortunately, this wound up backfiring, and as time went on, he realized that any humans who tried to escape would end up having to fight/kill Toriel.

By the time Frisk arrives, he's had enough. Guards the door like Toriel did in the original game, but fights out of a desire to get Frisk to take his soul and leave peacefully. In Neutral/Genocide... I kinda wanna say Flowey destroys the soul so this can't happen, but I'm not sure. In Pacifist, that obviously backfires. Also, where Toriel was still disgusted with Asgore in the canon game, Asgore's far more apologetic toward her, ashamed that he forced her into such a terrible position.

Toriel: Did not declare war on humanity, but Asgore had already gotten the monsters' hopes up. With the first soul, she tried to leave to the surface to shatter the barrier peacefully, but emerged near the village where Asriel took those fatal blows. Seeing a much bigger version of that same monster did not sit well with the humans, and while Toriel could have fought OR taken the blows as Asriel did, she retreated back into the Underground. Was the surface ready for monsters to emerge? Taking souls peacefully may have been easier said than done. She sought the help of royal scientists to find a better solution, but in the mean time, more humans gradually trickled in, and she could not simply give up her soul and leave the Underground without a queen.

She tried persuading those humans to stay and lead peaceful lives. Encouraged monsters to treat humans as friends, but some weren't ready to forgive. Some of the humans may have died of old age rather than being killed (debating this), but others did try to escape and return to their families, forcing Toriel to take a stand, as lowered defenses would make it much easier for the humans to kill her. She was stuck doing what she dreaded, and over time grew tired of the situation. Confided in Sans, who wound up acting as a sort of liaison, trying to smooth things over between humans and monsters and, if all else failed, trying to deter them from fighting Toriel by acting as the last obstacle between the cathedral and the throne room.

So... not all the roles are 100% the same, as I tried to take into account the character personalities, and the ideas are still insanely rough besides. I'm a big sucker for exploring how a character in another's position would change based on their personalities.

Also, while we're on the subject of AUs and fanworks, I also highly recommend Holding Pattern. It's a fascinating exploration of what might happen in an aborted Genocide Route and explores a lot of characterization/repercussions.

• Thumbs Up 2