Awoo.

Undertale (PC, PS4, Switch) & Deltarune (PC DEMO)

Pompadour

Toby outright confirmed that the theory was false on his Twitter, so there's that. :P

Finally completed my first run in this game (guess you could call it a neutral run, didn't kill any of the last few bosses).

Man, this game has so much soul and love put into it that it is an experience not to be missed. It's heartwarming.  So many moments in this game that have tugged my heartstrings and made me think a lot about of life. This is a game I will recommend to everyone and anyone. temouttatem

What an experience.

I'd love to see a sequel or continuation of sorts, but if it's not something that can carry on the legacy, I'll say this is a gem of story telling and media that needs to be treasured and cherished forever, and stored in the classics of video games. Thank you Toby Fox.

Out of curiosity, which bosses did you spare? Also, d'you plan to try pacifist at some point? C:

With some help from my partner, I finally beat Genocide (FUCK YOU

Spoiler

SANS!

) run a couple of days ago. I...don't feel happy about it, lets just say that. But hey, at least I can "proudly" boast how I killed off the entire cast and beat the hardest boss battle in the entire game!

... D:

There are only two things I love about Genocide though. Megalovania is one of them. The other?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THfWhYOQLvQ

Yah, I prefer this version to the original. XD

Anyway, the moment I beat Genocide I went through my save files and deleted them so I can start afresh. That's what I'm doing now; my third Pacifist playthrough. And finally find out more about this Gaster guy.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Toby recently posted a few unused/reworked tracks to the Undertale tumblr page, which is quite fascinating but reworking or replacing those tracks was the way to go, and he mentioned that the overhaul of the titular "Undertale" track was inspired by being inspired by listening to a particular song, but didn't specify what it was. Only song I could think of that it could have been was Redline Day:

If Toby Fox didn't want to reveal what it was, that was fine... Unless it was Redline Day, because if it was, I really wanted to know. It turns out, I figured it out:

So now that's a funny association, Undertale and Redline. It's kinda funny because they both have themes of redemption while being so massively different in tone, and I have to wonder how Undyne is behind the wheel. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, the Undertale anniversary was beautiful. So much good art and music popped up. To me, the game was already special... very special. It had me tear and it's safe to say, it has changed me, for the better. However, the anniversary only made the game even more special to me as I was able to contribute to the beautiful Materia Collective tribute album, which also marked my first release on major music outlets and first label release. 

Some beautiful music was released, including Underveil on that day and oh my, the art. So much goodness.

tumblr_odiq4clC5b1v2yo4io1_540.png

http://mnstrcndy.tumblr.com/post/150421629654/core-approach-charity-entry-for-gamerforgood

Thank you so much Toby Fox. Truly an inspiration. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 years later...

Bumping because something interesting happened. The Twitter account blacked out for 24 hours and after that, today it dropped this:
https://www.deltarune.com/

Click and download at your own risk, Toby doesn't want you to divulge major informations for a bit as stated in the disclaimer.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ay ay ay, this topic will be full of  spoiler boxes now.

Spoiler

So, Undertale 2... demo I think? I played around 1h so far. Does anyone knows how long this is?

I'll be brutally honest, I'm concerned. How do you even continue game like Undertale?

What I seen so far looks okay-ish but didn't grabbed me nearly as much as UT-1. If I played it in a void, without context of first game, I might have even stop right now. Upgrade at RPG makes me worried a little. It' looks like fight will now drag.

Long time no see, old thread! I just finished the "SURVEY PROGRAM" myself and I'll share some thoughts.Be mindful of spoilers!

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure this is an "alternate universe" and not a real sequel. This could be something more like Undertale B, a "what-if" of some sorts. That's probably the only way I can imagine a new Undertale working, and I think it does alright overall. It's different, but if it's just a fun freebie game for people to try out, I'm all for it. It's also not very long either, like maybe 2 hours or a little less (which is alot more than I was expecting)

The battle system could use some rearranging though. Like I'm far too used to actions immediately happening in UT, and instead there's a few more extra steps to take. It could've just been me not fully awake yet, but I found it was really easy to miss the fact you can control the other characters, like their menu is just a little too obscured to grab your immediate attention (I made Green Prince Companion fight by accident multiple times at first). I got used to it, but it was still a bit clunky for my tastes.

Still enjoyed the bullet hell segments tho, and I think it works really well with the battle system they've got here. I also really enjoyed the map hazards and how they don't just toss you into a fight now; it really made these segments more engaging and exciting to get through.

As for the story itself, it's an odd one, mostly because it's so weird to see everything look so familiar, but completely different at the same time. I have no idea what this story is leading into either... it makes me very curious about the Chapter 2 that's teased, as it takes a very dark turn very quickly. I'll also quickly say that that the characters are pretty endearing as usual. Even Susie with her violent personality couldn't stay unlikable for too long, and I liked that.

I really can't see Deltarune exceeding the original game yet, but it's a pretty good morsel of a game and a fitting one for Halloween, so it was smart for them to release it now. I look forward to the next chapter, whenever that's gonna be! I'm definitely gonna be keeping an eye out for any secrets people discover... surely this game will have a few.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

I just wanna see my boy Azzy.....though the prince is just Asriel with all the letters moved around. I spent too much time just hugging him when the option came up. He's my Number 2 after Tails. 💖

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

I played through to the training dummy. I'd say it's... different. But not in a bad way. I see potential in this. Maybe not enough to one-up the original yet, but it's interesting enough for me to keep going. i love the additions to the Battle System, personally.

I just finished the thing

Spoiler

As usual it's charming and full of good characters, gags and heartwarming moments, but the fact that it tells you from the outset that it's just a prequel from the color of the player's shirt alone is kind of disheartening. That coupled with the edgy twist ending is basically just screaming "you already know what happens to the protagonist so nothing matters" in your face. Hell, the game even says your choices aren't important at the start. The game pushing you to make the same pacifistic decisions also doesn't really make sense to me when you're playing as the thing that turns into a murderous demon ghost baby who hates everything. 

In this case though, that makes it a good thing that the regular plot is completely disconnected from the first game, with it's own characters and lore. It's a neat little adventure, Raslei and Susie are cute as fuck, the secret extra boss can go fuck himself, and I like the new combat mechanics. It spices up the old routine of just ACTing and healing until you win. Now you have multiple characters and can strategize, and it's fun. The art is also better, though I still think it could be a bit more liberal with resolution and detail.

I do wonder if this actually HAS anything to do with the final game's story though, or if it's just a glorified demo. Because if it is, I can mostly say all is forgiven. I just think it's better for the plot to move forward rather than back with Undertale. If not...I'm seriously disappointed with where this story is going. I don't care about the original fallen human, their only purpose was to be a bait-and-switch in the pacifist route and an edgy twist ending in the genocide route. We already know things don't go well there, and if it takes the "alternate continuity" route then it basically doesn't even matter because that's not the Undertale we played originally!

So yeah, it's pretty good. I especially like that they added a run button, no random battles and overworld hazards. THAT's what I like in turn-based RPGs, even with unconventional mechanics like Undertale.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

That's just it though. Did you try using the cell phone, Shaddy?

It makes Gaster noises

There's also an ominous as hell red pair of doors in Toby Fox's Onette here in the far south that has its own music that cuts from pleasant nature sounds to a static-y droning melody. 

I think... I think we just witnessed an AU for sure. And Gaster may be the key player to why we'll be seeing AUs in this game.  

This was a hell of an experience and I sure did miss Undertale. It got me emotional all over again and there's even a lesson about having to be intolerant to the intolerant to preserve tolerance. Holy hell, Toby, yes. I can't wait to see where this goes now. This is the kind of expansion I was really hoping for with advancing the themes and it pulled it all off to a tee. Easily a favourite game of the year already. 

Spoiler

Also, playing with a Final Fantasy styled party system that would make one think of Undertale's earlier predecessor in Off was good. Also this whole thing reads like a pastiche of all of the big RPGs in nerd circles with all of the DnD jokes and DNA that has you going "Is this... Toby Fox's Persona?" 

Also, it took me like four hours to get through it and that's without some of the stuff I may have missed like the extra boss. 

So yeah. This is going places. I've been so excited to see what Toby would work on next and I thought there was room for stuff to do with Undertale. I'm glad Toby agreed. I'm ready for the oncoming events in this emotional rollercoaster. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

It seems to be in an alternate universe where the seal was broken amicably shortly after Chara/Kris (does Kris clobber the "Chara" name?) fell into the underground.  Their ability to remove their soul (Which I thought the canon implied would weaken them?) makes me think the divergence maybe happened sometime after the human's suicide and the major difference was Asriel surviving his trip to the surface.  

I've been following Temmie on twitter since around when Undertale came out and it's really kinda funny seeing her animation style actually making it into this game now.  

The battle system is pretty iffy, because only Kris can ACT it seemed like a lot of times I was trying to find something for the other members to do.  It kinda just feels like a cosmetic change if you're being nice, but now you have more busy work in battles include Susie prior to her chilling out.  

I dunno how I feel about it.  There's a part of me that feel like it's not exactly pandering, but playing to the part of the fanbase that gets lost in the weeds with fan theories and there's another part of me that thinks the first part is being too cynical.  I was trying to figure out if I got the most pacifist ending and I've seen speculation that this takes place in the "next world" mentioned in the ending which really feels like missing the point when genocide really came off as an intentionally elongated mode making fun of exhaustively exploring.  This is just a chapter 1 but so far the Undertale connection seems like it's more baggage than asset.  I guess he's going somewhere with it, but man was it distracting trying to figure out who you were supposed to be playing as.  

Toby confirms that this isn't a sequel and isn't in the same universe as the original Undertale and that there may be complications in making this game. 

So first off, I'm glad to know that when I heard characters talking about space time in the game that that wasn't just set dressing. It's sure making me have all kinds of thoughts for what's going to play out now and if the beginning of the game is important. 

Spoiler

Because I swear if you've made a vessel for a human to take that Soul that Kris threw away to the bird cage and you're working with W.D. Gaster? That's going to get wild really quickly. 

Also of note is how long he's had this all planned out. How long back? 

Try 2012. Nothing is unimportant. Cryptic messages will always pay off one way or the other. 

Spoiler

I have really complex feeling about this.  Asriel is so fucking perfect in this game I get empathetically annoyed for Kris, which seems like an odd direction considering Kris is such a slasher villain that they're able to grow kitchen knives (?) and he's set up this world to give my sympathy for the devil.  I'm not sure how surprised I should be considering the chances that the first game seems to have set you up to give your own name to this same (maybe?) character, seriously, what was with that?  We're basically the token human in these games, can we have an antagonist whos motivation is human?

This game's plot also strikes me as strange in general.  The closest thing to a plothole in Undertale was Asriel's level of affection for the fallen human seemed odd considering they seem like they were kinda always a ponce, but considering how their interactions were set up it seemed like Asriel wanting to hang out with the big kids or whatever, but then in this game Asriel is older than the fallen human AND the whole game seems to be about this character, the game seems to be set entirely in this plothole.  

The soundtrack has this leitmotif in it that kinda bugs me because the music seems to have been written for us to have some kind of understanding of what the leitmotif pertains to but the opening where we first hear it, we're driving to school.  I'm confused enough by who precisely we're supposed to be playing and then the music seems to be trying to remind me of things that didn't happen.  And in writing this post, it seems that light motif might be fucking Gaster's, which means it is literally reminding you of things that didn't happen.  "Didn't need to play Undertale" is technically correct because the only place most people are going to find this shit is in youtube theory videos.  Basil Poledouris created no confusion setting up Conan's leitmotif.

And Susie's Fight theme reminds me so much of "Strong Bad is a Bad Guy". 

This is a bit more personal, but seeing Undyne and it not being the Undyne who got with Alphys or taught me to burn down her house bothers me.  Maybe it's like an uncanny valley of characterization.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because today, on Twitter, Tobyfox posted this song with an image of Kris in a city

Also after that, he felt the need to note that the city is extremely small

A teaser for the upcoming Deltarune 2nd part?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/15/2019 at 4:22 PM, Ice Vec said:

I'm bumping this thread because today, on Twitter, Tobyfox posted this song with an image of Kris in a city

Also after that, he felt the need to note that the city is extremely small

A teaser for the upcoming Deltarune 2nd part?

By "extremely small" he probably means it's literally just this room lol

As for which Chapter of Deltarune this will be for, we can't be sure. Toby has said that the remaining chapters won't be released until they're all finished. He has also said that he doesn't like spending too much time on a single project. This is probably why his release plan for the game is the way it is and why he never promised Deltarune's completion. Tl;dr The City could be from any Chapter.

Jump to question 3.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqn3p9

Granted, Toby has a more positive outlook on the process now so this may not apply to Deltarune anymore.

Also, here's another track ^^