Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

THEY DID IT.

THEY ACTUALLY FUCKING DID IT.

_20161020_092041.JPG

Now we see the reason for the wait, they managed to get the PERFECT message delivery this time, and they have almost EVERY Major third party developer on board from the start, and capable of doing ports of their console games.

Personally, I am Hyped! and Injusttice 2 will likely be on it! Also about the detachable multi, it's obvious that's primarily for on the go, and when you are at home you can use standard controllers. Can't wait for Retro's new game to be announced!

So it's basically a Wii U with another gimmicky portable controller which looks like it'll be shit to hold and play with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm... hesitant here to say the least. Off the bat, I'll say I liked what I saw and the basic idea of it. A Wii U on the go. That way I can get console experiences where ever I am. I'm also liking all those different controller schemes. Especially that new Pro controller like hot damn yes! Finally putting that analog stick under the buttons on the right, good stuff!

Though, this is where my concerns start to kick in. It's something I've been wondering and talking about since the beginning of this whole thing. How much is this thing actually capable of? Now, I know full and well that Nintendo hasn't been in that competition for well over a decade at this point and good games don't need that much power behind them but here's the thing. It's one of the main reasons why the Wii and Wii U (to an even bigger extent) ended up loosing its third parties and audience. Third parties need those similarities to exist for multi-platform releases. Having a console that looks to be, again, behind the curve in this department is a bit troubling. I mean, I don't think there's a coincidence that we're seeing ports of Wii U games as Nintendo's way of introducing the thing (hell, a five year old game like Skyrim... really?). Look, if people are having a hard time concerning whether this Splatoon is an update onto the one we have or a completely new one right off the bat then that just screams that this thing probably doesn't have much more going on under the hood than the Wii U. Keep in mind that the Wii U was outdated upon its released. Even that new Mario game didn't look like anything more than a 3D World without a top-down perspective.

I look at that list of third parties (which is strangely already absent of industry pushers like Rockstar) and am somewhat frightened to see just how many of them fall off within the first year when they see that they'll, more than likely, have to make a whole new version of their game just for it to run on this thing. I just don't know how far the aspect of it now being portable is going to go. Even now I'm trying to see where I could apply this in my daily life and not too many places come to mind.

Plus there are the standard factors that I'm weary of too like battery life, how it will perform off the charger, the size of those cartridges and system memory as a whole, interface, first party titles coming, and (above all) price.

So yeah, a nice first look at the thing but there is quite a bit here that's setting off red flags for me. Hell, a few of them even being things we saw with the Wii U at first. Hopefully we'll here more about it soon and some of the news will address and eliminate my worries.

Though, I will say this... if this thing gets Kid Icarus 2 then it's instantly perfection in my eyes...

• Thumbs Up 3

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty interested in this. Wasn't expecting to like it very much, but now there's a huge chance I might buy one. 

Also, actual third party support! Yay!

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

So it's basically a Wii U with another gimmicky portable controller which looks like it'll be shit to hold and play with. 

No not really no, that isn't what it is...

I'm impressed, but still need more info before I'm sold. The new Mario game is mouthwatering. Need to see more of that.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Not sure if this has the general audience appeal Nintendo needs, to be honest. 

It's pretty much a tablet, I can't think of anything besides a good enough mobile phone with more appeal for the general audience right now. It just needs the "killer apps" to back it up.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

THEY DID IT.

THEY ACTUALLY FUCKING DID IT.

_20161020_092041.JPG

From and Arcsys sounds promising, but I wish I could be more hyped for this picture...

It's just that I remember seeing something very similar when Nintendo was announcing the Wii-U and its third party support and I don't remember that turning out very well...

Oh hey! Ubisoft, EA and Activision are on the supporters list again!

• Thumbs Up 2

Image and Form  Games are actually pretty proud to be Switch Devs and they have been working on a game for it.

Supposedly if you like their past work, you'll like this new one.

9 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

No not really no, that isn't what it is...

Really? Just that's sure as hell what it looks like.

Utterly no technical specifications. 

Absolutely no details on the portable aspect of it, even basic stuff like battery life isn't mentioned.

A whole 6 games announced, 2 of which are third party, one of which is a yearly sports title, the other is a HD remaster. 

What games will actually launch on the system, what games are in the launch window and how big is that launch window.

There's so much vital information that wasn't given, yet people once again are falling into the Nintendo Cycle when it comes to a new console from them.

Not to mention the fact that there has been no press hands on with the system, people going "WOW" at the portable aspect... Looking at the portable controllers, you are going to be very limited in what games you can comfortably play with those things. Assuming that the games are downloaded to the portable unit, how much of a technical downgrade is there when playing portable? What is the sound quality like or are headphones a must?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Absolutely no details on the portable aspect of it, even basic stuff like battery life isn't mentioned.

A whole 6 games announced, 2 of which are third party, one of which is a yearly sports title, the other is a HD remaster. 

What games will actually launch on the system, what games are in the launch window and how big is that launch window.

There's so much vital information that wasn't given, yet people once again are falling into the Nintendo Cycle when it comes to a new console from them.

The person who reported on the rumor of the NX reveal being this week also said there would be more next week.

This is just a reveal trailer, I didn't think they'd show all the specs and whatever in it. They didn't even formally announce any games, the Splatoon thing COULD be a sequel or it could just be a remaster thing. Unlike the Mario Kart footage, it's hard to tell.

I dunno. Doesn't give me the "Wii U 2" feeling at all.

• Thumbs Up 9

Wait, 6 games have been announced? Have I missed something?

You're right, we don't know everything about this yet, but after all this is just a preview trailer.

However nVidia just came out and said it's powered by their custom Tegra Chip (https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/) so that's one thing out of many.

All I'm saying, let's not judge the thing without knowing the details.

Just now, Radiant Hero Ike said:

the Splatoon thing COULD be a sequel or it could just be a remaster thing.

Wasn't talking about Splatoon, was talking about Skyrim.

1 minute ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

All I'm saying, let's not judge the thing without knowing the details.

I'll judge it based on what's shown.

So far, not a lot.

Wasn't talking about Splatoon, was talking about Skyrim.

I know, I'm using this as an example for saying how this was mostly an introduction video.

I'm waiting until next week, see if we get any of the information you want. I'm not saying you shouldn't be worried, but we should get more info soon.

Games we know about are, off the top of my head:

• Dragon Quest XI
  • Dragon Quest X
  • Sonic 2017
  • Super Mario Switch
  • Splatoon Switch (Possibly an enhanced port)
  • Mario Kart Switch (possibly an enhanced port)
  • Skyrim Remastered
  • NBA 2K
  • Zelda Breath of the Wild
  • Just Dance 2017

This was just a preview, I'm sure we'll get more details on games soon.

• Thumbs Up 3

For a reveal trailer it seems it did it's job of getting people taking. Technical specs jargon will likely be out through a press release, as a couple of people mentioned either at the end of this week /early next week. On face value alone of course we want more info. In the span of three minutes Nintendo gave us a lot of questions. Questions that hopefully have answers that will satisfy people. If this were a full blown Direct you bet your ass they were have gone more in depth about it. But it wasn't. WITH THAT said,  again,  from face value alone on just three minutes if that's what Mayor D thinks then again,  hopefully whatever info there may be could reevaluate his initial opinion. For those who liked what they saw,  it could very well do the same. Or can further solidify their outlook on the console a bit more. 

...This was actually one of the things I knew what going to happen hahaha. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Third party support depends entirely on the system selling and even more than that, their games selling. It's good they've got on board, the system needs to do well, and there needs to be a well paying audience for third party games to justify them sticking around. We'll see.

But fuck if this doesn't look badass just as a Nintendo machine.

• Thumbs Up 4

I do agree that specifications are kind of important and nothing being officially announced; it's basically just a trailer saying "HEY, IT EXISTS" and not much else.

Not gonna lie, this presentation couldn't have been worse:

*First of all, the name. Seriously? That's how you call the console that needs to win back all the people you lost with the WiiU and more? I know what it tries to mean (switching between home and portable on the go), but that's like if Sony called the first PlayStation the Sony Laserdisc. The NX placeholder sounded much better as a name.

*Second, the commercial itself: oh boy howdy, talk about being behind the times. How many years have passed yet Nintendo still thinks its stuck in the Wii time period were it thinks showing families and friends integrating mundane stuff with gaming consoles is the perfect marketing campaign? It's like they don't even know what's going on in the world anymore: there are entire groups dedicated to tell how playing with a 3DS in public is shameful, not to mention how the family entertainment factor for party/sports/dance games has decreased drastically to a point that's not profitable anymore. A positive marketing campaign is commendable, but this one was a giant heavily sugar-coated lie just to promote the double aspect of the console. I'm not calling it dishonesty though because i think Nintendo genuinly believes the world works like this.

*About the titles, i'm indifferent, there will clearly be more and of better quality at launch, so i'm not gonna judge what was shown. The new Mario seems fine.

*About the supporting third companies: much like it was said, it can end exactly the same as the WiiU for all we know with stuff like EA and Activision dropping mere months after the console launch. The only difference is that there are more companies listed and some of them were never or barely associated with Nintendo before (From Software and Bethesda for example). Also, how much of these companies have been casted for complete development and not dragged from the 3DS support (like Capcom)? We'll see how this turns out, but it all depends on how Nintendo will play its cards.

*Third of all, the idea of combining a home console and a portable in one is very clever on its own, but what about people that, say, played only on the portable Nintendo systems so far? Will they be forced to buy the whole package (wich being in pair with the PS4 and the Xbox One will be around 300-400 €/$ at least) just to play titles that previously were portable? Mind you, the idea of portable consoles was not only born from a desire to have a game to play on the go, but to have a cheaper alternative to home console. With this Switch, this concept is completely deleted. Just because the next Ace Attorney or Project X Zone will have more polished graphics i will not feel justified to fork all these bucks.

*Fourth, not to mention, this gimmick smells exactly the same of the WiiU and the PSVita to me: complex and effort/money-consuming. How much till we will hear companies telling that the hardware/gimmick combination is too much and will stop developing from it leaving the console as a wasteland? In comparison, the only gimmicks the PS4 has are its blue button and the small touch screen, and even those are barely incorporated in the games. Knowing of Nintendo's past of forcing companies to develop around the gimmicks, this cannot go well.

And this is not even counting the possibility of region locking and the lack of backward compatibility, wich we don't know yet if not from rumors.

What a mess.

Well:

We saw Skyrim and Dark Sould III(?). 

Unless they are sequels, Splatoon and MK8 were shown, which confirms backwards compatiblity.

But I can somewhat agree that the name is kinda wierd. I preffer NX but Switch is definetly a good choice. It could've been a worse name.

22 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

: there are entire groups dedicated to tell how playing with a 3DS in public is shameful,

I pity the minority deluded enough to try and shill that mentality.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

*wakes up late*  

Why the hell is NeoGAF down-- oh yeah, fuckin' Nintendo. Alright. Let me get to YouTube.

So, you're telling me... it's got a Wii U gamepad and normal controller. The normal controller's for home play. The sides of the U pad dock off so you can play with the smaller screen on the go and shit, even with multiplayer. And it's gonna be able to handle Breath of the Wild on plane flights?....

Fuck is the problem?

Nintendo is doing it so naturally people hate it.

This is probably the biggest innovation from Nintendo in a decade and the smartest business move they could have possibly made. Merging their home console and their portable development resources should do a lot to counteract any lack of 3rd party support. Plus, the Switch looks decently powerful and seems to already be attracting 3rd party interest.

Being able to play console quality games wherever is a huge draw and I think this is going to be a very popular device. People are just butthurt as always.

• Thumbs Up 3