Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Are we not supposed to have reactions to marketing?

I would hope that most people can see through this kind of marketing by now, especially when it comes to consoles and especially when it comes to a game industry product.

8 minutes ago, Celestia said:

That said, the name rules imo.

"Switch" is by far miles better than names like Wii U, 2DS, and New 3DS; that's for sure. Don't agree with the complaints about it TBH. It's in the same ballpark of a name like the GameCube--a simple name that doubles as an apt description of the product in question.

(Speaking of the 3DS, does anyone expect Nintendo to make an slightly bigger "XL" size of the Nintendo Switch, as they've done for the DS and 3DS?)

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

But... it shows off the console... and how it functions.....

This is literally no different from people getting excited over any other teaser trailer of any other thing on the planet.

Literally what I've been saying.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't carry a bag with me a lot of the time so I can't see this being the immediate pick up and play option that beats just messing around with Sonic 1 on my phone. On long car rides though this shit would be a godsend. Especially with my siblings. 

Man I will purchase a $17,000 Louis Vitton handbag just for this thing I s2g

(Okay not really but I do have a nice Pikmin tote)

• Thumbs Up 6

20 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Yeah... that's kinda the point, whyare you getting excited over a system you know nothing about?

I've seen enough to get excited. That's the point of a 3 minute preview. There isn't yet enough present knowledge to pass judgement though. Well, a solid judgement that doesn't risk losing face anyway.

13 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

But... it shows off the console... and how it functions.....

Feel free to strike from the list if there are any answers other than 'I don't know, they didn't say' or 'I don't know, press were not allowed to play it.'

How long can I play it on a plane before I have to charge it?

What is the storage space for the portable console? 

What is the performance drop for playing it portable?

Is there a difference between the storage capacity of the 'console' and the portable unit. If so what?

How many of those companies who have 'pledged support' have a game out on launch?

How many of those companies who have pledged support have a game out in the launch window?

Is that launch window 1 month? 2 months? 3? What is it?

How many of those companies who have pledged support have a game coming out which isn't a port or remaster?

How comfortable is the controller?

How comfortable is the portable controller?

Are those 6 games the only launch titles? 

What FPS are those games running at?

Does the consoles UI/Network provide any unique features. e.g. PS4 has the 'pass the controller' and broadcast modes, does the Switch have a comparable feature or is it just MiiVerse again?

That's not even the full list. There's even more basic stuff that people would probably like to know, e.g. Will the battery life of the portable controller expire before or after the portable system?

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Why the fuck are you people getting excited over this? We don't know anything about this movie. We don't know the whole cast and crew list. We don't know when this takes place. We haven't seen most of the dinosaurs. Did you remember the spec script where the dinosaurs have intelligence? Smart dinosaurs sounds dumb as shit. Don't forget how much the last two films were trash. I don't understand why people are excited.

^^^you better compensate me for using the exact points I made.

10 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Feel free to strike from the list if there are any answers other than 'I don't know, they didn't say' or 'I don't know, press were not allowed to play it.'

Is there a difference between the storage capacity of the 'console' and the portable unit. If so what?

How many of those companies who have 'pledged support' have a game out on launch?

How many of those companies who have pledged support have a game out in the launch window?

How many of those companies who have pledged support have a game coming out which isn't a port or remaster?

Does the consoles UI/Network provide any unique features. e.g. PS4 has the 'pass the controller' and broadcast modes, does the Switch have a comparable feature or is it just MiiVerse again?

That's not even the full list. There's even more basic stuff that people would probably like to know, e.g. Will the battery life of the portable controller expire before or after the portable system?

Answer for all of those: Wait for a full announcement that isn't just a 3 minute teaser.

Seriously, whatever happened to keeping expectations in check professionally?

The 3rd question is a bit needlessly assumptive.

• Thumbs Up 1

So basically, the Nintendo Switch is a gaming tablet that you can connect to your TV, but with some fancy controls system. 

It's nothing particularly creative, but it definitely makes up for that with usability. I don't think I can get particularly hyped until more information gets released. Looking forward to it nevertheless. 

"It's a teaser trailer!" 

Is it really? Never would have guessed with the fact it says preview on it.

Yeah... I've never really gotten into teaser trailers for anything game related. Even if I say "Ok that was pretty cool" or jokingly say "Getting slightly excited" I'm still thinking 'yeah I really need to see some more here before I jump on board. 

Hell RDR2's trailer came out today, my thoughts on that 'Yup that's a pretty wild wild west... can I gets some gameplay now?'

This is doubly true when it comes to consoles which are a big initial investment. So sorry if I'm ruining the hype party here, but I want to get some answers to some of these pretty basic questions about how this machine will perform instead of going 'woo Nintendo' just because people like Nintendo. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Popo (Diamond) said:

Well:

We saw Skyrim and Dark Sould III(?). 

Unless they are sequels, Splatoon and MK8 were shown, which confirms backwards compatiblity.

But I can somewhat agree that the name is kinda wierd. I preffer NX but Switch is definetly a good choice. It could've been a worse name.

Dark Souls is From Software.

And yay, the obligatory debate on how Nintendo markets its' consoles; its not a party without that.

That said, I do understand where Hogfather is coming from, I know its a teaser trailer and all, but we still don't have any real information on the system to know if it will be successful or not. Its literally just "HEY GUYS, THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE" and that's fine if you're a Nintendo fan, since I'm assuming that any average Nintendo fan is already sold on the damn thing regardless. But from a neutral or someone coming from Sony, Microsoft or PC its a bit eye-brow raising.

Personally, I'm caustically optimistic and will remain so until more info arises.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Being snobby or trying to look cool by downplaying other people's excitement is like someone saying "HEY GUESS WHAT WE'RE GOING TO A THEME PARK" and you immediately cocking an eyebrow and being like "Okay but will there be toilets?  What travel are we taking?  What rides do they have?  What hygiene ratings do the eateries there have?  Will the weather be acceptable?  If it isn't do they give out free umbrellas?  Will they personally fellate me while I'm waiting in line for each ride?  Forgive me for not getting excited until we know all this for sure."

I get the feeling that that's the actual cycle involving these consoles sadly. Well of course that and the obligatory "nintendoomed" rambling.

I mean, I get being skeptical and all, but there's a difference between waiting to see more before being excited about it and being the SWAT robot with the "no fun allowed" sign.

I mean, I see a new Mario. Regardless of how it runs on the go or whatever, I'm excited to play it since it looks like the Mario games I like.

• Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, Mayor D said:
Spoiler

It's Nintendo. I think we can trust Nintendo to make a quality product, without needing to worry about those things.  If this was a new company trying this out, or an unreliable company, than yea, those are questions I'd want answering before becoming hyped (to avoid disapointment). But this is Nintendo, a company that regularly churns out quality material and is quite reliable.

If you like the core concept, than this is something definitely worth getting hyped about, because we can trust Nintendo to make a quality product. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I mean, I get being skeptical and all, but there's a difference between waiting to see more before being excited about it and being the SWAT robot with the "no fun allowed" sign.

I mean, I see a new Mario. Regardless of how it runs on the go or whatever, I'm excited to play it since it looks like the Mario games I like.

Funnily enough, I got more excited about the MK8 stuff. Double items (thank fuck), new cast members, and hopefully new tracks? There was some random tease awhile ago about Kalimari Desert so maybe it's in the works for a remake. Even better is if it's backwards compatible and the extra stuff is just a DLC patch and I don't have to buy the game again.

EDIT: Wait. Cartridges.... Dammit!

• Thumbs Up 3

To be quite honest there was a new enemy in Breath of the Wild and that kind of distracted me for half the trailer. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Speaking of specs,  since a number of you really want to know (yes it's rumor but sounds more credible than what you usually get I think) will dev kit specs suffice for now? 

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/20/rumour-nintendo-switch-dev-kit-stats-leaked-cortex-a57-4gb-ram-32gb-storage-multi-touch/

Reliable Twitter user NWPlayer123 has apparently learnt of the specifications from the development kits which are in the hands of a number of video game developers right now. Here’s what she has learned.

• Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
  • NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
  • 256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
  • 4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
  • 32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
  • USB 2.0 & 3.0
  • 1280 x 720 6.2″ IPS LCD
  • 1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
  • Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

The Remove Formatting feature is bugged BTW and I'm using my phone so sorry for the straight copypasta.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, TCB said:

Speaking of specs,  since a number of you really want to know (yes it's rumor but sounds more credible than what you usually get I think) will dev kit specs suffice for now? 

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/20/rumour-nintendo-switch-dev-kit-stats-leaked-cortex-a57-4gb-ram-32gb-storage-multi-touch/

The Remove Formatting feature is bugged BTW and I'm using my phone so sorry for the straight copypasta.

I'm assuming this is all for just the Tablet, right?

That's pretty impressive. Definitely enough to run most things well. I'm guessing the docking station will act as an extended memory supply too, since i doubt Nintendo would actually leave us with as little as 32GB for the entire console. 

This is really shaping up to be a very solid console. No fancy gimmicks, just a good, working console that has increased usability.