Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

18 minutes ago, PaddySpook said:

What's the point of saying it's not confirmed after an official Nintendo trailer shows it quite clearly is? Can't be cancelled that quickly. That's a record.

GBA, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U all had games shown off during their reveals that turned out to just be tech demos or very early work on products that ended up being totally different in the end.

Also related: Super Mario 3D Land started life as a 3DS port of Super Mario Galaxy 2 just to see if 3D Mario could work on the system.  This Skyrim demonstration could be the same deal for a new title, Elder Scrolls or otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's what was rumoured, it's what I wanted, it's what I'm getting.  Very happy about the Switch right here.

33 minutes ago, Chili Dawg said:

Real talk I think it's coming. We know Bethesda is doing Switch stuff, and a port of a remaster is about the simplest thing they can do. Bethesda's statement is probably just weird game industry technicality bullshit.

I don't care though gimme that Mario.

(I'm the reason third parties don't sell on Nintendo. Put all your blame on me.)

I'm the same only  support Sega with Sonic

1 minute ago, Captain Fun said:

and people say nintendo doesn't get third party support

what about THIS glowing endorsement?

???????????

Did Arby's know about the Switch or did they actually build that and set up a photoshoot in the past 7 hours?

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm current busy helping my family move, so I didn't have much time to actually type up my full opinion during the reveal. But I can't tell why people were expecting to find out everything when Nintendo came out yesterday and stated themselves that all they were going to show was a three-minute video showcasing the console itself and its name. No more, no less. At no time was it said that this small three-minute video will answer all questions concerning the console inside and out or showcase their entire launch line-up. Hell, they didn't even say that they would show software!

So I definitely thought it was a good preview. We know that it's called the Nintendo Switch. We know that it's supposed to be a hybrid of both home console and handheld that's meant to be played a multitude of different ways. That is what gets me excited! I like it that we can potentially play home console games on the go and I love the potential flexibility of the controller. Playing with friends or myself, on the go or at home, on one console sounds fantastic!

I wouldn't even call this a gimmick, but a VERY strong convenience. With the Wii U, Nintendo stated that they wanted it to be a system you can play anywhere in your home. (Didn't really live up to that, I know.) The Switch looks like it's trying to expand beyond that. This actually seems like something less tact on and more of an improvement of the Wii U in every way. Being a better console is the basic rule I ask for every new console I buy, no matter what company makes them. Sony does it with Playstation and Microsoft does it with Xbox. So Nintendo shouldn't be shot down for doing the same.

Despite how much I like the Wii and Wii U, I'm glad the brand is dead. It carries a ton of baggage over the years with hardcore vs. casuals, third party hell, messy advertising and etc. It's time for a fresh start. I would have preferred something more like the Nintendo Go, but Switch still helps explain what the console is about. Hopefully, it will help give them more of a chance to actually appeal to everyone as they would like to.

I'm happy that software was shown and I did like what little was there. Though I'm anxious for more, it's great to see a trailer from Nintendo that actually showcases both first and third party with equal showtime. A new Mario title, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Spla(2?)n, Mario Kart (8+?) then BAM! Skyrim Remastered! It actually had as much screen time as the other titles and just thinking about playing a game like that on the go gets me excited! There was also an NBA game. I don't give a shit about sports sims, but I know that there are people out there that do. So Nintendo throwing them a bone is fine. And I don't care how pessimistic anyone wants to be with the partner list. For Nintendo, that's a freaking incredible that so many are willing to give the console anything after the Wii and WiiU. And with tech-hungry companies like Epic Games on that list -- or companies like Bethesda that actually had huge problems with Nintendo flat out ignoring them -- I willing to believe that the specs of the console will be competent with the Xbox One and PS4. Not stronger than either, but just enough to not have third parties struggle or sacrifice anything when developing titles for it. And I'm totally fine with that.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if everything was shown now. However, I want the console to not fall off anyone's radar. I can't say Nintendo will do this, but I think it will be smart of them to steadily announce new things about the console over the months until March. Don't go quiet for too long. We now know what the console is. Next time, spill on everything with more detail and showcase more games. After that, hammer it into everyone's head the games they have ready for launch and ones that will come. Get people excited, but never let them forget.

There's a difference between hype and being sold on something. I'm hyped as well as many others. Not just because it's Nintendo but because this would actually be pretty cool if it delivers on its promise. But for them to sell me on it, more information has to come and will do so. I do have concerns like the price, battery life and internal memory, but I understand this preview wasn't meant to share that. So when that time comes, I'll judge. For now, I'm very intrigued.

• Thumbs Up 9

36 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Fucking Arby's lol. Move the fuck over Sonic. There's a new meme King.

They have been slugging it out with the Sonic Twitter on a couple of occasions now. Love their back and forth on Pumpkin Hill and Knux in general lol

As for the Switch, as long as there isn't a significant performance drop off when taking the thing portable, then it looks good to me (some of that Zelda footage looked poor). I've been a fan of having a "home" experience made "portable" for the longest time now. I love my PSP and my Vita for that reason alone. If Nintendo can take their major developers and create home console content that I can play in my car, then this thing is all the better for it. Shoot, I might leave my car at home and take the bus so I can sit in the back and play.

I LOVE the name, and I think the concept is great. I'm sure there will be a third party solution to fix any battery life issues that may crop up, so that doesn't even bother me. The controller is more traditional to boot, which can only mean that it should fix the most major of the Wii and WiiU's problems, via the lack of third party support.

My biggest problem with the Switch, isn't actually about the Switch... but rather Nintendo's other console. What does this do to my 3DS? Any game can be made bigger and better on the Switch, and with the push to take your home console on the road, that kind of infringes on the handheld market. What do I need my 3DS for if I can bring my Switch? Why play Smash3DS when I can play the real deal? I'm genuinely curious as to how the handheld market deals with this. I doubt it'll be a deathblow, but we might be in for a major realignment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so my thoughts on the Switch right now are something along the lines of... "It looks okay". I'm intrigued by the choice to use cartridges for the system, and the removable controls are a cool addition. The games shown look pretty neat too, namely the new Mario game (which kinda looks like if 3D World adopted Mario 64's level structure, perhaps?) as well as the Splatoon update/sequel/whatever and Mario Kart '8.5'/9/whatever.

And yet, it hasn't really grabbed my attention fully yet. The main two things that concern me right now are the battery life and initial price of the console. The latter is definitely my main priority as I still wanna be able to get the thing while it's Nintendo's "current" console. With the former, in fairness I don't really see myself taking it out with me on a lot of journeys. I can think of maybe one or two situations, but otherwise the most I'll probably do is undock it to play downstairs and have the dock upstairs. The only other concern I might have is the launch lineup, but I'm certain that Nintendo will have that sorted out soon enough.

I know, I know. "It's just a teaser", some will say. But as an initial first reaction, this reveal left me somewhere in the middle of the Like/Dislike fence. Hopefully it won't be long until Nintendo give some more details to help push me off that fence.

5 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

My biggest problem with the Switch, isn't actually about the Switch... but rather Nintendo's other console. What does this do to my 3DS? Any game can be made bigger and better on the Switch, and with the push to take your home console on the road, that kind of infringes on the handheld market. What do I need my 3DS for if I can bring my Switch? Why play Smash3DS when I can play the real deal? I'm genuinely curious as to how the handheld market deals with this. I doubt it'll be a deathblow, but we might be in for a major realignment.

It's be nice if there was a backwards compatibility for 3ds games. But I would still play both. ( says the guy who hasn't touched his Wii in a year)

It would probably depend on the title. I don't see anything other than Splatoon being cross play though, as it's not like the Wii U is going to get any further support. The Mario Kart game is something entirely different so it wouldn't be compatible with 8. Nintendo is open to cross platform play with other platforms (including non-Nintendo platforms), which is why Dragon Quest X is already coming and FF XIV is being considered for the Switch.

I feel like there has to be some kind of caveat for playing a game as visually intense as Breath of the Wild on the move. It's impressive that they managed that at all, don't get me wrong, but if there's going to be noticable framerate drops or the battery drops like a motherfucker I'd probably never play it in anything other than straight up console mode. Shame too, because I like my WiiU pad.

...speaking of which, I just realized no touchscreen functionality was shown off in the teaser. You think they dropped that entirely?

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

This may have been asked already, but do you think cross play between the Wii U, 3DS and Switch will be a thing? 

There better fucking be. My thumbs cry when playing games like Smash, Kid Icarus and Monster Hunter Generations on a circle pad, and I'd LOVE to be able to play some of those on proper sticks so I can do more than 2-3 hunts at a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's entirely possible they did, though it could also use the new multitouch technology like most electronics these days so there wouldn't be a stylus or anything.

Oh. Well I do remember cross-compatibility between WiiU and Switch games had been brought up at some point back when it was still called NX, but I forgot where the source of that was so don't quote me on that. Given that games like Splatoon and Smash are going to be cross-ported anyway, it seems like a given.

There's not a whole lot of precedent for 3DS crossplay though, mainly because handhelds and consoles have a tendency to release completely different kinds of games. Even games that are straight up ports of console games tend to suffer for it in some way - portable Hyrule Warriors has a lot less going on and very noticable frame issues even if you're playing on a New 3DS, and Smash 3DS chugs quite a lot if you have a lot of Olimars in play. You could maaaaaybe make something work if both games have most of the same content and have some way to compensate for the lesser console's performance, but honestly it's probably not worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Well what about Wii U and Switch? Or what if we're able to play 3DS games on the Switch?

It uses cartridges like the 3DS so it could feasibly double as a 3DS player similar to GBA Player and Super GameBoy. Wii U and Switch crossplay is much more possible, in fact it's already happening with Dragon Quest X since it's just the same game on multiple platforms.

I'm not even sure what to say about the NX reveal honestly.

I think the name is stupid and doesn't roll off the tongue well. I'll probably get used to it down the line (I have no choice but to) but I doubt I'll change my mind on how silly of a name it sounds to me. I still think Wii U and X-Box 180  X-Box One are terrible names after all.

I got excited when I saw a controller there though. The other feature of getting to take it on planes and to the ball park are things I don't care about but that controller excited me. The way it's advertised there makes it look like it comes with it too. So hopefully all the games on it will be compatible with it.

I'm speaking as though I'm planning on buying it but to be honest, after purchasing the Wii U, I'm kind of a little sour on Nintendo at the moment. It's not as though I'm all that huge a fan of the games they make anyway... BUT if I do ever decide to pick it up, I want solace in the fact that it has a controller. 

I fucking love controllers.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I'm not even sure what to say about the NX reveal honestly.

I think the name is stupid and doesn't roll off the tongue well. I'll probably get used to it down the line (I have no choice but to) but I doubt I'll change my mind on how silly of a name it sounds to me. I still think Wii U and X-Box 180  X-Box One are terrible names after all.

I got excited when I saw a controller there though. The other feature of getting to take it on planes and to the ball park are things I don't care about but that controller excited me. The way it's advertised there makes it look like it comes with it too. So hopefully all the games on it will be compatible with it.

I'm speaking as though I'm planning on buying it but to be honest, after purchasing the Wii U, I'm kind of a little sour on Nintendo at the moment. It's not as though I'm all that huge a fan of the games they make anyway... BUT if I do ever decide to pick it up, I want solace in the fact that it has a controller. 

I fucking love controllers.

I totally see where you are coming from. 

I was sour when the wii u was announced and i took a break from home consoles with only dedicating myself to my 3DS. That being said I am extremely excited for this. It felt like a fresh of breath air.

So, with the possible lack of an touch screen (since no touch screen functionality was shown in the preview), does that mean Super Mario Maker isn't gonna get an NX port?