Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

For something that has a screen in the controller, is it me or is it really small?  You can directly compare it to the Wii U GamePad right next to it, the screen is clearly much smaller - well, no, it's wider, but it's very obviously not as tall.  Taking into account that your hands are going to be covering part of it, then what are you actually going to see on the screen?  I suppose it could be some kind of Lite vs. XL thing, or as a prototype they deliberately made it smaller for some reason...  That's assuming it's real, anyway.

Makes me really worried for the handheld component, though.

Assuming this is real, I sort of think it looks pretty neat. It's like a cross between an Iphone and PS Vita which is great from a visual perspective (especially if this is suppose to be a part of the handheld). I think my main concern here is the use of touch screen controls over regular buttons. I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where this has even been done well. Though, Nintendo has been known to impress in areas people didn't think possible so I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to be the company to fix touch screen controls with this.

Honestly, we'll really just have to wait and see it in use if this does turn out to be real. I remember when I first saw the controllers for the Wii, Wii U, and even GC and thought "what the living hell?" but they turned out to be completely fine. Hell, if Nintendo can sell people on a  controller like the Wii had, I don't think it's too off to say that this will be no different.

Though, even if you are worried about this controller I wouldn't call the doom of this console just yet. We don't even know if it's 100% real yet. Even then it could be an early prototype and the final could be completely different (and better). And even then if this all turns out to be accurate you guys have to realize that Nintendo will, more than likely, release a standard controller right along with it for those who just can't get into it like they have for the last two generations.

The only reason the Gamecube controller was "fine" was because publishers almost immediately gave up porting any games to the system to play on it. It was just as useless for about half of the games on the market at the time as the N64 controller before it was.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

And even then if this all turns out to be accurate you guys have to realize that Nintendo will, more than likely, release a standard controller right along with it for those who just can't get into it like they have for the last two generations.

It's a problem when the main, unorthodox controller is the primary input Nintendo expects you to use for all its games, and the classic/pro controller are secondary peripherals only supported by a fraction of games. You can't even access the settings on the Wii U unless you use the gamepad, because reasons I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

It's a problem though when the main, unorthodox controller is the primary input Nintendo expects you to use for all its games, and the classic controller/pro controller are secondary peripherals only supported by a fraction of games. You can't even access the settings on the Wii U unless you use the gamepad, 'cause reasons I suppose.

While this is more than likely true in a couple of cases, I'm hard pressed to think of a game on the Wii U that didn't give people the option to use the pro controller if their gameplay supported it. I also can't seem to come up with a single game that specifically needed the gamepad that didn't benefit directly from it's functionality more than it would have with a regular controller. The menu navigation is a bit troubling but honestly, what about the Wii U menu system isn't at this point?

Frankly, I just don't think that people should be so quick to dismiss this before Nintendo shows anything themselves about it. While it may be fake or troubling to some, it does also show some potential.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

For something that has a screen in the controller, is it me or is it really small?  You can directly compare it to the Wii U GamePad right next to it, the screen is clearly much smaller - well, no, it's wider, but it's very obviously not as tall.  Taking into account that your hands are going to be covering part of it, then what are you actually going to see on the screen?  I suppose it could be some kind of Lite vs. XL thing, or as a prototype they deliberately made it smaller for some reason...  That's assuming it's real, anyway.

Makes me really worried for the handheld component, though.

wish I could find one of those diagrams from NeoGAF, but basically, think of the center area of the screen as the main 16:9 area, with everything else as a peripheral area where controls and GUI stuff goes.

I'm more amused by the reactions to this than anything, but I'm also intrigued by how this could work. Nintendo likes to do 'gimmicks', but they sure as hell at least make them work (unlike, say, Microsoft, which tried its hand at motion controls and failed miserably, the Wii remote was generally responsive when properly implemented, and the Motion+ especially so, and despite the low screen resolution the Wii U pad was comfortable and really neat), so I don't think Nintendo would ditch physical front controls unless they were confident that any replacement wasn't still usable and responsive. If the haptic button tech works, well, we could see all sorts of game-specific control schemes rather than being tied to the static ABXY and d-pad controls. It's a big "if", and we'll have to wait until people actually get their hands on the thing first, but still.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

While this is more than likely true in a couple of cases, I'm hard pressed to think of a game on the Wii U that didn't give people the option to use the pro controller if their gameplay supported it. I also can't seem to come up with a single game that specifically needed the gamepad that didn't benefit directly from it's functionality more than it would have with a regular controller. The menu navigation is a bit troubling but honestly, what about the Wii U menu system isn't at this point?

I have a handful of games that don't support single-player pro controller for no good reason, such as Rayman Legends, Child of Light, Bit.Trip Runner 2, and Sonic Lost World. It's also extremely disappointing that Star Fox Zero mandates it, and one of the things that might kill my enjoyment of it is the forced usage of the cockpit screen to aim at enemies, when that's something easily done on a single screen in past games.

• Thumbs Up 1

And then Reggie comes out and says "And those of you who wasted your money on a Wii U get the NX... for HALF the price!"

*Cheering*

And then I woke up. 

Credits.

Dev kit design, dev kit prototype, or no...I really don't like it at all.

If this genuinely was supposed to be a third-piller thing like the DS originally was I could probably go on with my merry way and look at it as another experimental quirky product; but given how Nintendo usually drops support quickly for their past products when preparing for the next/new products, and largely looks to be winding down on the Wii U and 3DS as a whole, and talk about NX hinted to alleviate development by making Nintendo's studios develop games for one "shared" platform....*sigh*. Relatively little about this looks good to me at all.

A significant point made regarding with the NX was that it was going to absorb the Wii U's architecture. How exactly is it going to do that with this? Its downright alien in my opinion, not just by regular standards but also past Nintendo standards. I mean at least with the GamePad that still made for a solid basic controller, and even the Wii Remote had physical buttons (and even if that wasn't enough, other peripherals could be hooked up to it). Touchscreen buttons? A oval form factor? No amount of digital buttons (especially with a screen that small) is going to replicate that, even the Wii U games that didn't treat the GamePad as anything beyond a standard controller.

Really, it just seems as if they're trying to capture lightning in a bottle again by placing all of their bets on a innovative product, which considering how unconventional it is, looks like it's going to drive the price of the product up again and alienate third-party support like the GamePad did. It just feels like they haven't learned anything with the Wii U IMO. Call me pessimistic and premature if you want, but I'm really hoping it's just a prototype that will have little if any bearing on the design of the final controller / product.

Or it's all a bunch of baloney and the pictures are really well-done fakes. But by this point I really wouldn't put it past Nintendo to go with something like this and double down on what they did with the Wii U in a different direction, so whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

While that is better than simple touch controls, it seems like it'd be awfully expensive for something that could be done better with normal buttons.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, FFWF said:

CSo someone thinks they've sussed out where the leak came from: Ubisoft Massive in Sweden.

HX2VwkM.jpg

Could be a leak from Ubisoft, but even then there's no evidence this device is Nintendo related at all. For all we know its just a prototype design someone made to try and see how it would look.

At the same time... isn't a tree in a bad reflection a piss poor way to try and prove a location? How the hell can they possibly know that's the exact same tree with that angle and everything? I'm sorry but that's just really stretching.

11 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Could be a leak from Ubisoft, but even then there's no evidence this device is Nintendo related at all. For all we know its just a prototype design someone made to try and see how it would look.

There was a patent published by Nintendo a while back (picture below) that looks downright identical to the device in the photos. Ignoring the grip handles, the prototype and the patent are virtually the same. The device also seems to have the same control sticks that have been a staple of Nintendo's controller and/or peripherals for a while now: Wii U GamePad, the 3DS Circle Pad Pro, Wii Nunchuk, Wii Classic Controller (Pro), and Wii U Pro Controller.

nx8-980x677.jpg

Besides, who else --literally who else-- would legitimately make something like this as a game controller or gaming handheld, even as a prototype? It's got Nintendo's thumbprints all over it, no questions asked.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I'm upset about, in case this is true, is that we're gonna have yet another Nintendo gen where the primary controller is irreplaceable in case you break it or its inputs decide to stop working on you, and instead of simply going to a store and buying another one whenever you want, you'd need to call Nintendo support and spend well over $100 dollars for a replacement and etc. Fun

I already avoid heavy usage of my gamepad due to fears of damaging it or its analog sticks wearing out. It's just gonna be the same deal for the NX's controller.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Isn't that the guy who spread false rumors several times throughout the past few months and got banned from GAF?

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=197614255&postcount=264

Yeah this doesn't mean anything. 

8 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I'd take Doctor Cupcakes's tweets with a pinch of salt more than anything else regarding NX to be honest. By this point, he's harvested a reputation for straight up being incorrect on his rumors if not lying outright, to the point that GAF has banned threads specifically about his rumors. He claimed Star Fox Zero was going to be delayed again shortly before last February's Nintendo Direct, and then later claimed Nintendo was instead holding a discussion on whether to delay it the day of the Direct shortly after the contents of said Direct leaked

• Thumbs Up 1