Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

Just cause you can afford to buy all Nintendo's shit no problem doesn't mean you can act like everyone complaining about the price is being unreasonable and mean and unfair to Nintendo. Being powerful isn't going to chill with the general public that's just gonna see a high number. Not to mention no one asked for all that stuff that is making it so expensive 

• Thumbs Up 1

THIS IS SO CUTEEEE

I bet this feature in the app is blocked unless you pay for it

• Thumbs Up 7

The games line up so far looks great, miles ahead of anything on the Wii and Wii U. But just like the PS4 and Xbone, that launch lineup is not great. I'm hyped for Zelda and Bomberman but that's not enough to get me to buy the system day one. Nintendo finally being in the 21st cIentury when it comes to online is also great, but i need more details on that paid service before coming to a conclusion. Battery life is going to be wait and see. Pricing, while not horrible, probably should have been a bit lower for the mass market they're trying to capture. So many unknowns, i need more answers.

3 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The games line up so far looks great, miles ahead of anything on the Wii and Wii U. But just like the PS4 and Xbone, that launch lineup is not great. I'm hyped for Zelda and Bomberman but that's not enough to get me to buy the system day one. Nintendo finally being in the 21st cIentury when it comes to online is also great, but i need more details on that paid service before coming to a conclusion. Battery life is going to be wait and see. Pricing, while not horrible, probably should have been a bit lower for the mass market they're trying to capture. So many unknowns, i need more answers.

You must be looking at a different day one launch lineup than I did cuz none of those games make me want them. I just might buy the console without a game and wait till Sonic Mania and MK8 deluxe release.

Edit: sorry reread you post didn't see you said the launch line up was bad

1 minute ago, Zippo said:

Um...you're not referring to the fact that Nintendo finally is doing a subscription? Cause aside from that I don't think we know much about Nintendo's online this time around 

37 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

You must be looking at a different day one launch lineup than I did cuz none of those games make me want them. I just might buy the console without a game and wait till Sonic Mania and MK8 deluxe release.

I'm talking about the lineup of games currently announced. Not the launch lineup.

36 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Um...you're not referring to the fact that Nintendo finally is doing a subscription? Cause aside from that I don't think we know much about Nintendo's online this time around 

We know a few things. Actual, legitimate voice chat sounds neat, if done right, being able to set play online sessions with friends, and being able to play Virtual Console games with online multiplayer is a huge step in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned.  But as i said, i need more details before i make my own conclusion.

I saw the trailers this morning, really liked the new Mario.

Also, the beggining of the trailer was SO LIKE SONIC ADVENTURE'S intro!! I've chucked a little hahahaha

Also glad that Sonic Mania is coming to the Switch, more people playing means more chances of a sequel. I think Mania could also come to mobiles.

Anyways, I have a PS4 already, so I'll pass the Switch, but I still want to play it.

...Yes, well.  I'd definitely agree that the presentation, tonally, was no Nintendo Direct; more like the Dear Leader's final ultimatum to the world...  Should really have been pre-recorded and subtitled rather than awkwardly staged live with an unresponsive audience and a joyless translator.

Price is definitely more than people were expecting.  I wasn't really planning on getting one at launch anyway, though, so maybe it will sink at some point, or just flat-out be cut, 3DS-style.  As for a charging price for online...  Dubious.  I only use online for the eShop rather than multiplayer or anything, so having to pay in order to buy things, if that's how it works, doesn't appeal tremendously.  More information needed, really.

Games: More interesting, though obviously a lot of it was still in teaser form.  Breath Of The Wild and Super Mario Odyssey look excellent, as expected, and I'm intrigued by Project Octopath Traveller, the game that really needs a non-placeholder title.  Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the game that will probably be Shin Megami Tensei V have my attention, too, but realistically it's just the first-party games that we actually know anything substantial about.  Nothing to hurry for for me... except maybe Mania.

Very mixed verdict.  But if they're pitching Mario for the holiday period, then Christmas will really be the time to start paying attention to the system, probably.  Hopefully they'll bring a better presentation to E3 and we'll see what things look like then.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

I only use online for the eShop rather than multiplayer or anything, so having to pay in order to buy things, if that's how it works, doesn't appeal tremendously.  More information needed, really.

They've already confirmed the eShop is not a paid feature (that would be insane frankly lol).  Miiverse and social sharing features are also available to unpaid users.  They also say "most online games" will require the paid service: most, not all.  Which does open the door for games with passive online interactions (leaderboards, messaging, item sharing, basically all the bits and pieces that tended to be tied to the miiverse on Wii U etc) to still have those features available to unpaid players.

• Thumbs Up 3

More or less agree with what the majority say only I have a few other things to comment on.

2 launch titles. One is a mini games collection. Absolutely pathetic.

The free online service becoming paid for, whilst annoying, since MS and Sony do it I can understand the business move, but the incentive for subscribers is utterly laughable. 1 free game rental. Erm hi PS+ calling I have 5 games I can keep for free on 3 different systems. Games with gold does almost the same.

They've now started to say that not all games will be paid for online. Lol are you serious? That makes the paid service even less value for money.

Also being free for a bit. Not surprised since the only online game is a minigame collection.

Anyway...

User accounts? No details how that. Tied to system or tied to a user account?

2.5 hours battery life. Lol.

Advanced HD rumble. Vitality sensor 2.0. Outside of those 'feature show off games' nobody is going to waste their time with this.

Third party support is beyond poor. That segment when Sega came out and announced nothing followed by Suda who also announced nothing couldn't have been more unbelievable. Only for EA to announce their safest game release choice, Fifa... and it's not even the main series but a spinoff.

It feels like a Wii U again. Some of the arguments are making me feel almost nostalgic. Mario looks great! Can't wait to play Zelda! Whilst ignoring all the important stuff, like will you or your system own online purchases, where are the launch games, accessory pricing, online services, the stuff people complained about our the Wii and Wii U is happening again.

• Thumbs Up 6

About Smash. There's another window if they want to announce anything about a port. Niconico tokaigi happens in February and the last time it showcased Bayonetta and Corrin. It also features a smash invitational tournament with most of the top Japanese players. That would be a good time (besides E3) to announce anything smash related because the competitive community would be watching. 

15 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Third party support is beyond poor. That segment when Sega came out and announced nothing followed by Suda who also announced nothing couldn't have been more unbelievable. Only for EA to announce their safest game release choice, Fifa... and it's not even the main series but a spinoff.

Suda had an announcement, actually. It was No More Heroes 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

They've now started to say that not all games will be paid for online. Lol are you serious? That makes the paid service even less value for money.

Just to respond to these two, the wording I've seen on this seems to imply they're referring to more passive online features, like how you don't need to be a subscriber to play ranked time trial on Sonic Generations on PS3/360 etc.  Correct me if I'm wrong there and they've started referring to specific interactive online experiences being free in some games though.

For the second one, it's 2.5 - 6 hours, which is a significantly different prospect rather than judging it by the minimal.  At the end of the day it's still primarily a home console intended to provide a home console experience with the option to take that out of the house - so that's 2.5 - 6 hours more than a PS4 and Xbox One.

Also, we don't know what the full launch set actually is, but multiple sources indicate several games, including Super Bomberman R and Puyo Puyo Tetris (both great for on-the-go gaming, and I'll likely pick both up digitally alongside Zelda), so it's not completely anaemic, and the PS4 and Xbone launches were garbage too. The post-launch window is going to be spaced out by obvious hits like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2, amongst other games, at least one quality game a month, it looks like. FIFA may not seem like much, but EA's sports games being on this thing is gonna be a big deal.

The battery life issue was unavoidable, portable devices in general are terrible with battery life for gaming, and 2.5-6 hours isn't terrible for gaming these days. Thankfully, USB-C means portable external batteries are useful for charging. But the blame lies with the limitations of lithium-ion batteries right now, consumer electronics really needs a new type of battery that can both last longer and/or charge quicker, though there are several solutions that might come out relatively soon.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

They've already confirmed the eShop is not a paid feature (that would be insane frankly lol).  Miiverse and social sharing features are also available to unpaid users.  They also say "most online games" will require the paid service: most, not all.  Which does open the door for games with passive online interactions (leaderboards, messaging, item sharing, basically all the bits and pieces that tended to be tied to the miiverse on Wii U etc) to still have those features available to unpaid players.

I don't suppose reasonable features like online co-op would fall into that category, would they?

I wanna see how NIntendo puts this online service of their in motion once it's actually out. What JezMM is saying is kinda what I at least expect what Nintendo is going for with this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone else get this sinking feeling that this might be the last console game from Nintendo if it underpreforms? Like, if it fails (like expect it to) they might just shift all their focus to mobile stuff?

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

More or less agree with what the majority say only I have a few other things to comment on.

2 launch titles. One is a mini games collection. Absolutely pathetic.

The free online service becoming paid for, whilst annoying, since MS and Sony do it I can understand the business move, but the incentive for subscribers is utterly laughable. 1 free game rental. Erm hi PS+ calling I have 5 games I can keep for free on 3 different systems. Games with gold does almost the same.

Also being free for a bit. Not surprised since the only online game is a minigame collection.

Anyway...

User accounts? No details how that. Tied to system or tied to a user account?

Advanced HD rumble. Vitality sensor 2.0. Outside of those 'feature show off games' nobody is going to waste their time with this.

It feels like a Wii U again. Some of the arguments are making me feel almost nostalgic. Mario looks great! Can't wait to play Zelda! Whilst ignoring all the important stuff, like will you or your system own online purchases, where are the launch games, accessory pricing, online services, the stuff people complained about our the Wii and Wii U is happening again.

I would argue against some of these, but I imagined you were going to actively express dislike for this console before you even knew what it was, so whatever to that I suppose. lol

Anyways, Switch looks great and everything's coming up roses. Console's slick in every way, from design to OS to functionality. The controllers cost way too much, though. Praise Hori for the off brand pads because there ain't no way I'm coughing $70 for a Pro Controller, my dude.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not feeling so good about getting one at launch anymore. The only thing I really want that's coming out soon is Zelda and I think I'll grab that on the Wii U. I'll probably buy it again later anyway so lol.

It's just looking too expensive for what little there is from my perspective. I already fell into that trap with the Wii U.