Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

The timing is what I find interesting here. If Smash Switch were more or less a direct port with practically nothing new added like a lot of people expected it would be, there's a pretty good chance it'd be somewhere around MK8 Deluxe's release window - I can't imagine it taking any longer than that, really. So if I were to take a shot in the dark, if they don't announce it sometime before launch, chances are they're either still adding content onto the original game (I can't remember what the exact figure was, but I'm almost certain Sakurai said that testing and balancing even a single character takes months by itself). Maybe a somewhat smaller possibility that it's a brand new game entirely and they're too early in development to show anything substantial, though if DLC Amiibo are still coming that seems more to suggest supporting their existing roster (wouldn't re-licensing Ryu and Cloud for a new game be kind of a pain? Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong there).

Either way I hope Ninty and Namco can handle it on their own this time. Sakurai almost literally breaks himself over these games, and I can't stand the thought of him being pulled back in this soon.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

The timing is what I find interesting here. If Smash Switch were more or less a direct port with practically nothing new added like a lot of people expected it would be, there's a pretty good chance it'd be somewhere around MK8 Deluxe's release window - I can't imagine it taking any longer than that, really. So if I were to take a shot in the dark, if they don't announce it sometime before launch, chances are they're either still adding content onto the original game (I can't remember what the exact figure was, but I'm almost certain Sakurai said that testing and balancing even a single character takes months by itself). Maybe a somewhat smaller possibility that it's a brand new game entirely and they're too early in development to show anything substantial, though if DLC Amiibo are still coming that seems more to suggest supporting their existing roster (wouldn't re-licensing Ryu and Cloud for a new game be kind of a pain? Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong there).

Either way I hope Ninty and Namco can handle it on their own this time. Sakurai almost literally breaks himself over these games, and I can't stand the thought of him being pulled back in this soon.

I believe Sakurai said it takes a portion of the development team 5-6 months to fully develop a new character. The rumors over the past year have all insisted that it's going to be the "definitive version" of Smash 4. New characters, new modes, old and new stages brought over from the 3DS version, etc., with minimal involvement from Sakurai. Sakurai has said on his Famitsu colmun that "he's moved on to the next project". The only other thing we know is that he bought a giant mech figure based off an 80s' mecha anime in order to study it for his new game.

31 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I believe Sakurai said it takes a portion of the development team 5-6 months to fully develop a new character. The rumors over the past year have all insisted that it's going to be the "definitive version" of Smash 4. New characters, new modes, old and new stages brought over from the 3DS version, etc., with minimal involvement from Sakurai. Sakurai has said on his Famitsu colmun that's "he's moved on to the next project". The only other thing we know is that he bought a giant mech figure based off an 80s' mecha anime in order to study it for his new game.

That's what I'm thinking. This Smash may have some new things, but its not going to have full involvement from Sakurai.

58 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Yeah, people keep saying E3, but Smash sounds to me like something that gets announced BEFORE the Switch release. I disagree on MK8 launch window, though, because MK8 only has Battle Mode and a few characters. Smash would probably have a lot more. Still a port, but several new things (3-6 new characters, a bunch of stages, maybe a couple game modes). For Smash I'd probably anticipate late Summer.

In theory I'd argue if its a brand new game (unlikely), it would be a 2018 game and would get announced at E3. If its just an ultimate edition, this year and it should be announced before the Switch release with more info coming at E3. They shouldn't announce everything before the Switch actually release, they should save some things. But Smash isn't something that should be saved. Unfortunately, this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

Decided to make a list since I've seen people wonder what games Nintendo developers are working on, here's what we know so far:

Nintendo EPD Kyoto:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2 
Pikmin 4
Arms
1 2 Switch

This is Nintendo's largest developer by far. Thousands of people are working on games. There's a ton of projects coming from there, that's only just the start.

Nintendo EPD Tokyo:
Super Mario Odessey

Apparently, SMO is already done, so EPD Tokyo is likely working on their next project already.

HAL Laboratory:
Unannounced. But we all know this is most likely Kirby. Being his 25th anniversary and all.

Intelligent Systems:
Fire Emblem Switch

IS is always working on 3-4 games so we'll likely get more announcements in the near future.

Sora. Ltd.:

This is Masahiro Sakurai's company. He confirmed that he was working on a new game about a year ago.

Monolithsoft: 
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Game Freak/Creatures inc.:
Untitled Pokemon Game

Retro Studios:
Untitled Switch Game

Next Level Games:
Untitled Switch Game

Alphadream:
Unknown, but this could be the first Mario and Luigi game on a console.

Nintendo Software Technology:

Unknown but apparently they just finished the Mario Maker port on 3DS and now they're working on two unannounced Switch games and are beginning mobile game development soon.

Greezo:

They're working on the new Nintendo IP,  Ever Oasis for 3DS so i doubt we'll see any Switch games from them soon.

Skip Ltd.:
Unknown

Vitei:
Unknown

Good Feel:

Just finished the 3DS port of Yoshi's Wooly World. Unknown if they're working on a Switch game yet or not.

This will be a lot more clear come E3.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Decided to make a list since I've seen people wonder what games Nintendo developers are working on, here's what we know so far:

Nintendo EPD Kyoto:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2 
Arms
1 2 Switch

This is Nintendo's largest developer by far. Thousands of people are working on games. There's a ton of projects coming from there, that's only just the start.

Nintendo EPD Tokyo:
Super Mario Odessey

Apparently, SMO is already done, so EPD Tokyo is likely working on their next project already.

HAL Laboratory:
Unannounced. But we all know this is most likely Kirby. Being his 25th anniversary and all.

Intelligent Systems:
Fire Emblem Switch

IS is always working on 3-4 games so we'll likely get more announcements in the near future.

Sora. Ltd.:

This is Masahiro Sakurai's company. He confirmed that he was working on a new game about a year ago.

Monolithsoft: 
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Game Freak/Creatures inc.:
Untitled Pokemon Game

Retro Studios:
Untitled Switch Game

Next Level Games:
Untitled Switch Game

Alphadream:
Unknown, but this could be the first Mario and Luigi game on a console.

Nintendo Software Technology:

Unknown but apparently they just finished the Mario Maker port on 3DS and now they're working on two unannounced Switch games and are beginning mobile game development soon.

Greezo:

They're working on the new Nintendo IP,  Ever Oasis for 3DS so i doubt we'll see any Switch games from them soon.

Skip Ltd.:
Unknown

Vitei:
Unknown

Good Feel:

Just finished the 3DS port of Yoshi's Wooly World. Unknown if they're working on a Switch game yet or not.

This will be a lot more clear come E3.

Camelot Software Planning:

The Golf/Tennis parts of Mario Sports Superstars (3DS), but the primary developer on this is Namco.

3 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

That's what I'm thinking. This Smash may have some new things, but its not going to have full involvement from Sakurai.

Yeah, people keep saying E3, but Smash sounds to me like something that gets announced BEFORE the Switch release. I disagree on MK8 launch window, though, because MK8 only has Battle Mode and a few characters. Smash would probably have a lot more. Still a port, but several new things (3-6 new characters, a bunch of stages, maybe a couple game modes). For Smash I'd probably anticipate late Summer.

In theory I'd argue if its a brand new game (unlikely), it would be a 2018 game and would get announced at E3. If its just an ultimate edition, this year and it should be announced before the Switch release with more info coming at E3. They shouldn't announce everything before the Switch actually release, they should save some things. But Smash isn't something that should be saved. Unfortunately, this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

As much as I'd like to see that, I don't think it's happening in a Direct. Smash is ALWAYS a big E3 reveal, same with Retro Studios and Next Level's games. Nintendo still finds value in E3. They're saving some big guns for that. I'm sure there will be other game announcements in and outside Directs,(I'm sure we'll hear something about Pokemon within the next few months.) but most of the big titans will be saved for June. We won't be seeing Mario again until E3, apparently. 

Also, i didn't add in Camelot or third parties because they aren't owned in any way by Nintendo or work on non Nintendo games.

Ok guys so Amazon currently have the promo code BIGTHANKS which gives you £10 off if you spend over £50.

So if there's a game you want add it to your cart, then add this pen or something else that's cheap so you cross the £50 threshold. Enter your code and you'll get £10 off.

Also if you're a Prime member you'll get a further £2 off. It should get you the game for £38 instead of the usual £49.99.

This might work in other countries but I've no idea myself.

• Thumbs Up 3

28 minutes ago, Zippo said:

It's nice to want things.mgs_switch.pngWho wants some dreams crushed and stomped on?

metroiddread_switch.jpg

castlevania_switch.png

FIZKiEH (1).jpgThe last one physically hurts me.

Despite those currently being fake,  all of those appear quite plausible,  especially with Konami apparently getting into bed with the Switch if Bomber Man R is anything to go off of. 

Whoever made these ones is a monster.

http://m.imgur.com/QWhQcX4?r

22 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Despite those currently being fake,  all of those appear quite plausible,  especially with Konami apparently getting into bed with the Switch if Bomber Man R is anything to go off of. 

As much as I'd like to see them, i don't see a Castlevania or Metal Gear game coming to the Switch, unless it's VC. A giant Metroid Collection would be amazing but that is straight up not happening lol. We'll get a new game before that happens.

C2n-jE9UQAA5Hlk.jpg

Konami is said to regard the Castlevania series as done (i.e. abandoned), so I'd agree that we're unlikely to get a new game in the series - unless Nintendo offered to put money into it the way they're said to be doing with Super Bomberman R... but it would rather sting a bit if they funded a new Castlevania game before a new Metroid game.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, for the curious, a Fan decided to take Nintendo's Infographic and update it with every announced Switch game so far for( with most of these coming out this year although not all are confirmed for localization

use.jpg

Also the devs at Mojang showed Minecraft up and running on the Switch in a tweet, so that should be coming sooner rather than later

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Also the devs at Mojang showed Minecraft up and running on the Switch in a tweet, so that should be coming sooner rather than later

As much as I can understand people being entirely "meh" on another edition of Minecraft, I actually think it has the potential to be the best non-PC version available.

Provided it takes after the PS4/X1 versions and not than the 360/PS3 versions (like the Wii U did), you'd get the bigger world size alongside all the conveniences the console versions offer. With the Joycons you can immediately have local 2-player split-screen.

On top of that it'd also be portable like the IOS/Android versions, even able to support 8 players if there's multiple Switches and a good internet source present.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, while I was looking through Amiami as usual, I found a bunch of games being put up for Pre-order there alongside their rough launch date. 

GAME-0017621.jpg

Makai Senki Disgaea

Coming early March in Japan. Can't be too far off for western release either. ~$60

GAME-0017619.jpg 

Dragon Quest Heroes I, II

Going for ~$80 in Japan. Pretty high price. Coming early March

GAME-0017663.jpg

Project Setsuna

Going for ~$40 and is coming early March as well.

GAME-0017664.jpg 

Minna de WaiWai! Spelunker

Also ~$40 but coming late April.

GAME-0017618.jpg

Nobunaga's Ambition Souzou with Power Up Kit

Coming early march as well, and going for a whopping $85. Not sure if it'll come to the west, but it has an English release too. 

Here's the place I got all this from. The variation in price is pretty shocking. It's nice to see some games going for $40, but some are also going for $80... 

Yeah, note that DQ2 just released, so they don't want ot undercut that too greatly. However it is possible it could come down to $60 when it comes west. There's usually variable pricing due to sales concerns, same goes for NAS.

Also 2 boxarts that were released

4974365861001_main_l.jpg

4988615096365_main_l.jpg

Got a great interview that was translated from NIS the guys who made Disgea. They are planning to put full support behind switch. May be a more niche group, but it does show that a majority of surviving Japanese Vita support is going to transfer to Switch in Japan, and that Japanese third parties using compatible engines are extremely likely to do PS4/Switch releases

http://gonintendo.com/stories/272446-nis-explains-why-disgaea-5-is-coming-to-switch-no-downgrades-fi#comments

NIS explains why Disgaea 5 is coming to Switch, no downgrades, firmly pledges more software support

22 January, 2017 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 8

twitter_header.jpg

The following comes from Nippon Ichi Software president Sohei Niikawa...

- the difficulty of porting from PS4 to Switch varies depending on how each studio approaches development
- the porting process was relatively smooth for Disgaea
- there was nothing NIS had to downgrade
- even in portable mode, the experience still remains same as PS4 version
- Disgaea 5 was chosen for Switch because it would be smooth to port
- NIS also thought it would be better to release its key product
- NIS received many requests to port it to Vita, but if this happened, it would have been necessary to downgrade the game
- NIS brought the game to Switch as a way of fulfilling the fan request for a portable version of Disgaea 5
- NIS says they are definitely making more Switch games
- They will not be making just one game and calling it quits

• Thumbs Up 3

I might get Disgaea on Switch. I've been hearing a lot about the IP, and with it being an early Switch title that sounds like something I'd love to try out.

Some fun and positive from around the world compiled by... IGN of all places

Also Etika and Nairo show up, and a sonic hatted individual

• Thumbs Up 1

I was super hyped after the Switch Presentation, I went to Gamestop and pre-ordered a Switch the next morning!

As for games between Amazon & Gamestop  I have already pre-oredred

-ARMS

-LOZ: Breath of The Wild 

-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Puyo Puyo/Tetris

-Sonic Mania

-Splatoon 2

-Super Bomberman R

Lots of fun stuff to look forward to!   Can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 1

Disgaea is a great series but id only okay it on Sony myself. Seems odd now in anything else. I'm sure more game rumors will open up around april

4 minutes ago, God Eater Lenka said:

Dunno if we knew this already but since news sites are reporting it, I think it's new info.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/23/square-enixs-i-am-setsuna-coming-to-nintendo-switch-on-march-3rd/

I Am Setsuna is a launch title.

And digital only in the west. Yeah it's new news

• Thumbs Up 1

So that's: 

Breath of the Wild, 1 2 Switch, Just Dance, Binding of Isaac, Super Bomberman R, Skylanders Imaginators and I am Setsuna on day one. Still not a good launch lineup but a small improvement. This is definitely a DS level launch.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

So that's: 

Breath of the Wild, 1 2 Switch, Just Dance, Binding of Isaac, Super Bomberman R, Skylanders Imaginators and I am Setsuna on day one. Still not a good launch lineup but a small improvement. This is definitely a DS level launch.

The first year as a whole is still pretty good though.  Getting a Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon & Fire Emblem game all in the same year is pretty impressive!  Not to mention a New I.P with ARMS.

Plus fun third part stuff like Sonic Mania, Puyo Puyo/Tetris, Street Fighter & Shovel Knight trickling out over Spring & Summer is pretty nice.  Now we just need more games to fill up fall slots and we are solid! :)