Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

21 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

I was just wondering: with the problems with the desynching of joycons and other stuff, do you think I should wait until they improve upon those issues at a later time before I get the Nintendo Switch?

It's definitely a question a lot are asking. The thing is, we just don't know how big of an issue it'll be yet. If it's a signal boost issue then it can (and probably will day one) be fixed in an update. Though, if it's due to the actual hardware not being able to boost a single through any kind of substantial object then that's when the problem gets severe. It's really hard to tell as Nintendo has said nothing more than simply acknowledging the existence of the issue. Sort of has me worried as 1) if it isn't that big of an issue then why stay silent and not just say a fix is on the way and 2) this is probably something that should have been spotted in early testing so Nintendo had to have known about it in some capacity already. Then again, Nintendo doesn't have the best pr around so it could really go either way. At worst, there's going to be a lot of people returning systems in a week.

At this point, all you can really do is estimate how you yourself will use the thing. If you're like me and mainly use a monitor as your display, meaning that the system will never really be more than a foot or two away from the controller, then you should be good to go. Though, if you plan on using it like an actual console and being a substantial distance way from the thing (with the added possibility of things constantly abstracting the line from you to the TV) then... the safe thing to do would be to wait.

Though, then you have to consider the risk of stock issues. While we don't have the exact numbers yet, all signs are pointing to this being another NES classic/ Amiibo event... it might be safer to just get the pre-order unit you have and see where it goes. I guess just keep that receipt handy if everything goes downhill.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

It's definitely a question a lot are asking. The thing is, we just don't know how big of an issue it'll be yet. If it's a signal boost issue then it can (and probably will day one) be fixed in an update. Though, if it's due to the actual hardware not being able to boost a single through any kind of substantial object then that's when the problem gets severe. It's really hard to tell as Nintendo has said nothing more than simply acknowledging the existence of the issue. Sort of has me worried as 1) if it isn't that big of an issue then why stay silent and not just say a fix is on the way and 2) this is probably something that should have been spotted in early testing so Nintendo had to have known about it in some capacity already. Then again, Nintendo doesn't have the best pr around so it could really go either way. At worst, there's going to be a lot of people returning systems in a week.

At this point, all you can really do is estimate how you yourself will use the thing. If you're like me and mainly use a monitor as your display, meaning that the system will never really be more than a foot or two away from the controller, then you should be good to go. Though, if you plan on using it like an actual console and being a substantial distance way from the thing (with the added possibility of things constantly abstracting the line from you to the TV) then... the safe thing to do would be to wait.

Though, then you have to consider the risk of stock issues. While we don't have the exact numbers yet, all signs are pointing to this being another NES classic/ Amiibo event... it might be safer to just get the pre-order unit you have and see where it goes. I guess just keep that receipt handy if everything goes downhill.

Maybe I should wait then, maybe. Though I plan to leave it docked most of the time and play it in front of my TV.

Got some Arcade Archive Interview news for you guys, I got 2 big things out of it myself: Sounds likely it'll make western launch, and B you can turn the image vertical in table top mode!

gonintendo.com/stories/274768-hamster-talks-about-arcade-archive-details-teases-other-switch-p

Hamster talks about Arcade Archive details, teases other Switch projects

25 February, 2017 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 2

article_post_width_download__1_.jpg

The following comes from a Famitsu interview with Satoshi Hamada from Hamster, as translated by NE...

- Hamster received requests from fans to bring the Arcade Archive series to portable devices
- they thought Switch would fulfill these wishes
- Arcade Archive series has a feature to rotate the screen to play vertically-displayed arcade games
- it’s easier to port on Switch than expected
- Hamda thought that coding around the Joy-Con might be peculiar, but doing so isn’t actually that difficult
- finds the hardware specs on Switch are sufficient and has a good impression of the device as a result
- Hamada thought about implementing the Joy-Con steering wheel for arcade racing games
- he decided an actual steering controller is better
- currently Hamster is collaborating with HORI to make their arcade stick capable to play the Arcade Archive series
- they are discussing releasing unique arcade sticks with control panels such as twin levers, track ball, and a loop leve
- the arcade stick is not announced for Switch
- Hamster is now trying to release new titles for Arcade Archive every week
- Hamada thinks it would be nice for fans if they can find new titles when they visit the eShop on a weekly basis
- this isn't guaranteed, but the dev team is trying hard to achieve thi
- they are only announcing five Neo Geo titles from the Arcade Archives
- they haven’t announced the (standard) Arcade Archives series
- they are currently focusing on keeping the series on track with continuous releases of Neo Geo Arcade Archives
- they will definitely bring (standard) Arcade Archives in the future.
- as far as file size, it was originally 600 MB in average, but the Switch version is planned to be reduced to 200 MB
- Hamster also wants to bring over the Nikoli puzzles series, including Sudoku
- they are already talking about it with Nikoli, so they probably will be able to announce something soon
- there are actually some projects planned aside from Arcade Archives and Nikoli, but Hamster can’t announce them yet

Am I the only who really doesn't see the big deal with the "Autosave before battery dying" thing? Like, Nintendo handhelds have had some sort of warning system since the GBA days, and you could even tell with the GBC since the power light would start dimming, so right there was your cue to save and conserve battery. 

I'd rather have a longer-lasting battery. 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Am I the only who really doesn't see the big deal with the "Autosave before battery dying" thing? Like, Nintendo handhelds have had some sort of warning system since the GBA days, and you could even tell with the GBC since the power light would start dimming, so right there was your cue to save and conserve battery. 

Actually, it auto-saves then goes into Sleep mode, which on 2% of your batter can last nearly 8 hours, giving you a chance to get your system plugged in and not loose any progress. That's pretty impressive. Also they've literally given this thing the maximum possible battery life, you literally could not give it any more in it's current form factor

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't think not having it would've made the battery life any larger to be honest and like Mando said, I don't think they could've gotten a larger battery life for this when you consider some of the other systems like this on the market, which is to say things like handheld gaming PC's, which are probably the closet comparison I can make, also have the low battery life issue due to running full on console games on something thats supposed to be portable too.

So only negatives I've seen so far are that the kick stand sucks and the battery life is not that great. Besides that good things

Well I mean, there's still doubts over long term software support and online architecture, and I still think that pessimism is pretty well warranted at our current stage - especially in the latter's case, which we still know almost nothing about besides that they're farming certain features out to your smartphone for some reason.

Though yeah, besides that I'm not terribly bothered. I'll have access to a power outlet most places I plan to bring this thing, so I feel like I can mitigate the worst of the battery life problem as long as there's a charging cable for undocked mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

So only negatives I've seen so far are that the kick stand sucks and the battery life is not that great. Besides that good things

I'm personally at that point where I'm just accepting the fact that Nintendo consoles are going to be rather basic when it comes to extra features besides playing games; especially in a world like mine where the Switch won't be my go to console for that kinda stuff anyway since I already own a ps4. A few examples being lack of bluetooth, video streaming apps (on release at least), etc etc. The whole console on the go is honestly one of the only aspects of the switch im excited about....that and the return of Bomberman......Splatoon 2 and the potential for a Smash 4 Deluxe :P

8 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The Kick stand is actually well designed to purposely fail in situations where it would damage the console, then easily attach. Battery Life is comparable to any other handheld. Heck, better if you have battery packs

5 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

The Kick stand is actually well designed to purposely fail in situations where it would damage the console, then easily attach. Battery Life is comparable to any other handheld. Heck, better if you have battery packs

Not really my 3ds last at least 7 hours on a full charge. And my tablet had gone at least 9 if I'm doing Internet things

My boy Jhon Census doing Switch promotional work is a good thing in my book. He's actually quite the gamer believe it or not. 

But not having Xavier Woods do a little promotion on his UpUpDownDown stream too? Missed opportunity there.

Just now, Meta77 said:

Not really my 3ds last at least 7 hours on a full charge. And my tablet had gone at least 9 if I'm doing Internet things

"Internet things" Aren't comparable. That's a minor drain. and that's on the high side for 3DS for less load. 3-6 hours for the level of programs this thing runs is perfectly fine

Though it's tempting to compare to other phones and tablets, I feel it needs to be said that in a lot of cases, they're really not all that comparable to the Switch. First of all, your phone spends the overwhelming majority of its time idle, which is where most benchmarks for their battery life start - whereas the Switch is exclusively a gaming device, so naturally it spends the majority of its battery life doing things that drain the shit out of battery life.

Secondly, I'm just going to be blunt about this. The overwhelming majority of the libraries for mobile platforms are shovelware. I'm not saying this just as a sleight against their library, but more for the fact that it's actually pretty rare that a typical mobile game challenges the processor in question, and even rarer still for a mobile title to render a decent polycount in full 3D. Naturally, when most of the library is sprite or vector based it isn't going to drain the battery much on average, even if you throw always-online DRM in on top of it. Whenever you switch to a more graphically intense game like Infinity Blade, you're still lucky to get more than an hour or two of playtime out of it before you're in the red.

When you take both of those things in mind, well, even though a miracle in battery life would have been nice it's still impressive in its own right that the Switch even lasts 2 1/2 hours on a game with console-level graphics - and in an open world game, to boot.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Though it's tempting to compare to other phones and tablets, I feel it needs to be said that in a lot of cases, they're really not all that comparable to the Switch. First of all, your phone spends the overwhelming majority of its time idle, which is where most benchmarks for their battery life start - whereas the Switch is exclusively a gaming device, so naturally it spends the majority of its battery life doing things that drain the shit out of battery life.

Secondly, I'm just going to be blunt about this. The overwhelming majority of the libraries for mobile platforms are shovelware. I'm not saying this just as a sleight against their library, but more for the fact that it's actually pretty rare that a typical mobile game challenges the processor in question, and even rarer still for a mobile title to render a decent polycount in full 3D. Naturally, when most of the library is sprite or vector based it isn't going to drain the battery much on average, even if you throw always-online DRM in on top of it. Whenever you switch to a more graphically intense game like Infinity Blade, you're still lucky to get more than an hour or two of playtime out of it before you're in the red.

When you take both of those things in mind, well, even though a miracle in battery life would have been nice it's still impressive in its own right that the Switch even lasts 2 1/2 hours on a game with console-level graphics - and in an open world game, to boot.

How dare you call fire emblem heroes shovel ware. Me and my animated ax wielding wife of absolute beauty will not stand for this...this..outrage.

Still 2 hours and a half is eh. But only time I'd use undocked is at a comic conventions

9 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Lol, are you talking about the CNET video?

Where yes if you push thing, thing falls over. That's how gravity works.

As for the battery, eh. It'll do. It's not completely terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Athena Cykes said:

Lol, are you talking about the CNET video?

Where yes if you push thing, thing falls over. That's how gravity works.

As for the battery, eh. It'll do. It's not completely terrible.

Lol yes.but I watched gamexplain on battery issue

It's not like everyone wouldn't like the battery to be better, but lithium-ion batteries aren't suddenly going to not be way behind the curve compared to the progress being made with technology in general. Until one of those in-development replacements for lithium-ion batteries proves itself to be worth the cost of a new manufacturing process, we're just gonna have to deal with lithium-ion being shitty.

• Thumbs Up 6

Then present it as is it is: Shitty battery life. Don't put a bunch of qualifiers and riders on it to pretend it is anything else. Don't post videos with obviously laughable testing parameters as a gotcha. Don't make statements along the lines of how Nintendo physically could not have put a larger battery in it.

If people were as understanding of the limitations of battery technology as you claim, they wouldn't be bending over backwards to act like it is better than it actually is. ~3 to ~5 hours was shitty for the original PSP. It was shitty for the original Vita. It was shitty for the original 3DS. It's shitty for the no-name mobile phones and tablets you see in the Electronics section at Wal-Mart. It was shitty for the Lynx and TurboExpress and Game Gear and Nomad. It's not suddenly not shitty for the Switch.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

Then present it as is it is: Shitty battery life. Don't put a bunch of qualifiers and riders on it to pretend it is anything else. Don't post videos with obviously laughable testing parameters as a gotcha. Don't make statements along the lines of how Nintendo physically could not have put a larger battery in it.

If people were as understanding of the limitations of battery technology as you claim, they wouldn't be bending over backwards to act like it is better than it actually is. ~3 to ~5 hours was shitty for the original PSP. It was shitty for the original Vita. It was shitty for the original 3DS. It's shitty for the no-name mobile phones and tablets you see in the Electronics section at Wal-Mart. It was shitty for the Lynx and TurboExpress and Game Gear and Nomad. It's not suddenly not shitty for the Switch.

Except the battery in the Switch is one of the largest sized batteries for portable devices there are. It's bigger than my phones battery which can play games for about 5 or so hours without a charge and I generally don't need to charge it all all day. The battery life sucks but here's the thing: What did you expect from games of this caliber in size, graphical quality on a device you can use as a portable device, etc?

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, Meta77 said:

How dare you call fire emblem heroes shovel ware. Me and my animated ax wielding wife of absolute beauty will not stand for this...this..outrage.

I realize this is going to become somewhat offtopic, so I'll put this concisely - not all shovelware is necessarily bad by definition. All that really means is that the game was made on the cheap to recoup its expenses very quickly. Those kinds of games can still be fun to play, they just don't tend to push boundaries in the process, and that distinction is exactly why you tend to get plenty of battery life out of the devices they run on - again, as opposed to a game like BotW, which apparently already strains the hardware hard enough that you'll still get occasional framerate dips from it.

I can't really claim 2 1/2 hours is the most comfortable battery life, only that I struggle to think of a way it could have been better.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 27/02/2017 at 8:41 PM, Tornado said:

That kinda lends credence to upgraded switches in the future..which hopefully works with the same docks..

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd prefer something along the lines of a battery upgrade.

That sounds considerably better than Nintendo pulling a "NEW Nintendo Switch" on us a year or so from now.