Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

nintendo-switch-logo-587x330.png

Nintendo Switch is the latest home console from developer... Nintendo. Using a unique concept which allows you to take console experience anywhere, it seeks to blur the lines between handheld and home consoles, and seeks to encourage social gaming between friends. Using unique Joy-Con controllers included with the system, gamers can simply click in to the hardware and take the device with them like a tablet, place it back into the dock for home gaming experiences, or use the screen itself for multiplayer games as each Joy-Con can function as individual controllers.

What's in the box?

• Nintendo Switch console
  • Joy-Con(L) and Joy-Con(R)
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Joy-Con Wrist Straps
  • HDMI Cable
  • AC Adaptor

Also available separately is the Switch Pro Controller, designed for more hardcore gamers.  

What are the specs?

• Screen: 6.2-inch capacitive, multi-touch screen with 1280×720 resolution.
  • Dock: The dock holds and charges the Nintendo Switch and provides audio and video output from the device to a TV.
  • Video Output: 720p in hand-held mode, 1080p when docked.
  • Battery: Battery can last up to six hours on a single charge but depends on the game.
  • Storage: 32 GB internal storage and optional microSD expansion.
  • SoC: Custom Tegra processor from Nvidia

And what games can I get?

• Launches with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Skylanders Imaginators, Just Dance 2017, 1-2 Switch and Super Bomberman R.
  • Splatoon 2 launches Summer 2017. Super Mario Odyssey arrives Holiday 2017. 
  • Also coming to Switch are Arms (Spring), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 28th), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (2017), Fire Emblem Warriors (2017) among others, including Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017
  • See a handy info pic here.

Nintendo Switch launches March 3rd 2017 worldwide.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm really interested in the patent about the scrollable shoulder buttons - so many intuitive uses and an easy way to extend functionality, why has nobody thought of it before? That's definately one Nintendo controller innovation I can get behind.

I know some people just want another dualshock-style controller, but fuck that noise. I'd like to see Nintendo adopt the features of the Steam Controller as well, namely the trackpads and the grip buttons. Controllers still have a long way to go in terms of functionality.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm a big sucker for achievements, so hopefully whatever they come up with will be interesting.

There's still not enough concrete evidence for me to truly examine what this console is, so I'll just sit tight till they unveil it and explain it themselves.

A new achievement like system? Man, offline gamers don't like Playstation's Trophies & Xbox's Achievements, even this one.

It's the system used in Mario Remix. Also tons of patents Nintendo file they never use, and this thread feels premature, we should wait until the actual official reveal like the wii-u when we have the actual codename, it's not like we have a pre-gamecube code Dolphin thread

A new achievement like system? Man, offline gamers don't like Playstation's Trophies & Xbox's Achievements, even this one.

Since when? I mostly play games offline and I've always loved having them. Well placed Achievements are really satisfying to get.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 6

The most interesting thing about NX will be the cross console gaming. If they can really pull that off with full forwards compatibility, I think Nintendo could find great success again. Just imagine being able to play games like Zelda U at home and on the go.

The console will not support a disk drive, possibly opting for cartridges? 

Cartridges would make sense for cross console gaming.

• Nintendo patented a new controller design recently with new, scrollable wheel shoulder buttons. 

I really like this idea. Sounds like it could really add to a game without being overwhelming. I could see Sony and Microsoft following with this.

Hidden Content

• Nintendo has also patented a new achievement like system.

So, what I'm getting from this picture, it's a rating system with Miiverse comments? I'd rather just have perfectly normal Achievements.

It's the system used in Mario Remix. Also tons of patents Nintendo file they never use, and this thread feels premature, we should wait until the actual official reveal like the wii-u when we have the actual codename, it's not like we have a pre-gamecube code Dolphin thread

We had a Project Café thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

They're still going with the idea of having controllers with screens?

Called that isht so hard. Had no doubt they weren't dropping the idea yet. The scrollable wheel bumpers though.. I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. Then again, it's all concepts, so who knows if any of it sticks.

I also think that this thread feels somewhat premature, but at the same time, people aren't going to stop talking and speculating about the NX, so we might as well have a thread for it to put it all in one place.

As for all the rumours, all I really want is for it to really be the rumoured home/handheld hybrid.  I think that makes an enormous amount of sense, too, if Nintendo is also getting into mobile games development; they've already found that HD games require more development time than they expected, and they would probably rather not split their staff three ways, home-handheld-mobile, when they could do it two ways instead.

For when it'll launch... well, I don't think there's any way it'll launch without having been featured at E3 first.  Late 2016 at the earliest, therefore, through to probably the first half of 2017, with later in that year possible.  That would be between four and five years since the Wii U's launch, five to six for the 3DS, and getting on for two or even three years for the New 3DS depending on regions; those strike me as appropriate lengths of time between console launches (especially for the generally unsuccessful Wii U).

Called that isht so hard. Had no doubt they weren't dropping the idea yet. The scrollable wheel bumpers though.. I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. Then again, it's all concepts, so who knows if any of it sticks.

Going by people in the NeoGAF thread, the picture is irrelevant. It's just a generic controller.

Going by people in the NeoGAF thread, the picture is irrelevant. It's just a generic controller.

Not really generic whenever it features a screen and scrolly bumpers.

It may not look exactly like that whenever it's designed, but it at least is a good sign that we're gonna be getting a controller with both of those traits. Now if we got a controller that looks like this redesign right here though..

revised_wii_u_gamepad_by_myownfriend-d6o

I don't even think I could be mad. I'd love something like this.

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 2

The scroll bumpers are the subject of the patent, everything else is just window dressing that should be ignored.

And there are numerous applications for scroll wheel bumpers, mainly selection. One of the two main reasons for dual weapon systems in shooters these days would be invalidated pretty much immediately.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't really ignore a screen though. Whether that was the point or not, if a screen wasn't going to be a part of the NX setup then it would've just been a traditional controller. That's what I'm saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think its too early to speculate, and I don't think the NX is coming in 2016. The only way I buy that notion is if it is in fact a full OS of sorts, and the rumor about the NX handheld coming next year is true with the console portion coming out later. I can buy that, but I don't think the console is coming next year. That's all I have to say on the matter for right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

One popular rumour right now is that the NX is the reason why Zelda has been delayed. 

One version on the Wii U and some kind of 'remastered'/Ultimate edition on the NX

• Thumbs Up 1

Depends on when they talk about it. If they mention it early 2016 and then elaborate on it by E3, then it has a high chance of coming out later that year. If they hold off of all info until E3 though, it's very likely they'll be waiting for at least a Q1 2017 release, if not exactly a year from E3 2016's announcement.

And I can't help but speculate. Speculation time is like Christmas to me, and since I've been flat out of Sonic games to wonder about, contemplating the NX is a fun idea! So uhh, going by that, here's my thoughts.

3e46c6942e7a33c44ede522be149b451.png

(I don't think the prices are really too accurate, but bear with me)

So, let's say that the NX is a single OS console/handheld fusion concept. The console and the handheld 'gamepad' thing would both be complete separately functioning entities, but all connect to one user and share/interchange data, and have similar enough specs to each other to play the entire library without many problems (handheld version may be less pretty, but otherwise yeah, fully compatible).

The NX basic console bundle gives traditional players an easier-to-understand console that allows and encourages local multiplayer due to requiring being plugged into a TV or monitor, while sacrificing the positives of having portable functions. The handheld variant allows players a full console experience on the go, with emphasized focus on touchscreen-based capabilities and social media usage, but no sit-down-and-play-with-friends or game-room qualities (unless you sync your handheld to their console, but that's only if they have one..).

Both combined give a full experience, with the ability to use the handheld as a secondary controller, stream data for off-TV play (without having to drain the handheld's energy as much), and use it to the extent we use the Gamepad for on the Wii U, but without as much emphasis on it as a tablet gimmick. Plus, you could use more than one handheld on a console, and even take it from one console to another and use it to sign into your account through theirs, which could make for some interesting little things. 

The concept goes from being forced on the players to becoming a complimentary experience, and we get the best of both worlds.

So in a nutshell..

Don't want the handheld? Don't get it and just get the basics, it's all you really need. Just want a handheld? Get the handheld, you can still play with your friends who have the console variants. Want the whole package? The world is your oyster.

This is what I think the NX is going to be, and if I'm right I want you all to remember that I called it. :v

Also,

One popular rumour right now is that the NX is the reason why Zelda has been delayed. 

One version on the Wii U and some kind of 'remastered'/Ultimate edition on the NX

Considering Twilight Princess happened the way it did, I wouldn't be surprised if this actually does happen.

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 4

Depends on when they talk about it. If they mention it early 2016 and then elaborate on it by E3, then it has a high chance of coming out later that year. If they hold off of all info until E3 though, it's very likely they'll be waiting for at least a Q1 2017 release, if not exactly a year from E3 2016's announcement.

And I can't help but speculate. Speculation time is like Christmas to me, and since I've been flat out of Sonic games to wonder about, contemplating the NX is a fun idea! So uhh, going by that, here's my thoughts.

So in a nutshell..

Don't want the handheld? Don't get it and just get the basics, it's all you really need. Just want a handheld? Get the handheld, you can still play with your friends who have the console variants. Want the whole package? The world is your oyster.

This is what I think the NX is going to be, and if I'm right I want you all to remember that I called it. :v

So, like the nVidia Shield brand? I'd totally be up for that

So in a nutshell..

Also,

Considering Twilight Princess happened the way it did, I wouldn't be surprised if this actually does happen.

I agree on what you think the NX is going to be. I fully agree on that. I think the NX will be a platform (like they stated), not a single console, and it'll connect the different consoles they have together. They'll still have both a handheld and console, but they'll be separate. The handheld will release late next year, the console later.

As for Zelda, that's not the same situation at all. I do think they'll make the NX be able to play past titles, since that's the whole idea behind making it branch between the handhelds and consoles. However, if NX is backwards compatible, and it doesn't have a huge gimmick to it like the Wii, I just don't see any reason for them to do it like that. I think if anything they'll launch NX will Twilight Princess HD with Zelda Wii U on just Wii U (but it will be playable on NX through backwards compatibility, even if its just like the Wii download games on Wii U).

• Thumbs Up 1

The next console in Nintendo's hardware line-up is currently into development. Codenamed the Nintendo "NX" (this will likely change as many names do) the console is said to unite mobile platforms and hardware platforms into one singular console. The console will also help support the recent partnership the company made with DeNa, a mobile game maker who will be the first to make titles based on Nintendo's first party IPs. Though no concrete evidence from the company themselves has been shared, the rumour mill has been buzzing with patents for technology and other whispers.

Man. Playing games on the console is nice. But you know, I absolutely cannot stand hand held video gaming. I mean, I don't hate it, I just hate that it comes at the expense of watering down the games themselves. But it would be fantastic if, you know? You could take that same experience on the go?

sega-nomad-front.png

That'd be, like, the coolest shit ever

Can't really ignore a screen though. Whether that was the point or not, if a screen wasn't going to be a part of the NX setup then it would've just been a traditional controller. That's what I'm saying.

I think his argument is that they just needed to show the shoulder buttons and therefore used stock Gamepad images simply because it's their main controller now, and therefore the screen's not reliable.

I think his argument is that they just needed to show the shoulder buttons and therefore used stock Gamepad images simply because it's their main controller now, and therefore the screen's not reliable.

nintendo-nx-patent-scroll-wheel.pngwiiuhandson.jpg

They're nowhere near the same size, though. Not even the same shape; the controller shown is much thinner in regards to screen:controller ratio, there's no way it could simply be a gamepad stock image.

nintendo-nx-patent-scroll-wheel.pngwiiuhandson.jpg

They're nowhere near the same size, though. Not even the same shape; the controller shown is much thinner in regards to screen:controller ratio, there's no way it could simply be a gamepad stock image.

Yeah, looking at that, it appears to be maybe an updated Gamepad. A slim version for the next generation, like they did with Wii Motion Plus.

It's missing a few buttons though. Why wouldn't they include other two face buttons and start/select buttons?

It's missing a few buttons though. Why wouldn't they include other two face buttons and start/select buttons?

Because they were promoting specifically the shoulder buttons.