Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

15 minutes ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

tenor.gif

Wait whut? Uh, plenty of big games from all three of the big three can get announced here and there, there are plenty of videogaming events other than E3, and uh, this is Nintendo we're talking about. The company that was kinda infamous for not having their E3s be exactly big blowouts like the competition. Hell, last year, we got direct after direct even before the E3 one, which laid down megatons, both of new and veteran IPs.

They do but the biggest are

sssaved for e3. Such as metroid being shown and Pokemon being announced. Otherwise it would have no purpose as has been the purpose of the show for over a decade with small triqules before and after. Didn't people get hyped about a few directs at the end of the year that went nowhere really? If I'm proved wrong I'll give a dollar lol  XD

15 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

They do but the biggest are

sssaved for e3. Such as metroid being shown and Pokemon being announced. Otherwise it would have no purpose as has been the purpose of the show for over a decade with small triqules before and after. Didn't people get hyped about a few directs at the end of the year that went nowhere really? If I'm proved wrong I'll give a dollar lol  XD

Well sure, some directs weren't as big as we'd hoped, but that also applies to some of their E3 directs compared to other directs, Met.

Also, the biggest news from Nintendo being saved for E3 has never been a consistent factor.

No matter how you look at it, let's be honest. We've had Cloud freaking' Strife (the last Final Fantasy character anyone except like voters like moi apparently, expected to get into the Nintendo powerhouse fighter business) and Bayonetta getting introduced to Smash, the long-awaited Dragon Quest VII and VIII localizations,  the first reveal of Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey's debut, and the Smash direct connected to the talk-of-the-world voting campaign for Smash 4, and so much more all happen, NOT at E3. Those aren't small fries to say the least.

Seriously, there's a reason that Nintendo has been able to afford getting away with lackluster directs, because well, there's no telling how substantial anyone is gonna be. But by the end of each year, they at least, for the most part, sate hunger for big news.

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering that Nintendo intentionally skipped E3 presentations and decided on Directs for the longest time (I'm nearly sure last year actually had excitement from many because it was the first real time Nintendo finally agreed to take E3 seriously again). Even before that as Jova said, we've had Odyssey, BOTW and even the Switch being announced in their own given streams as opposed to an E3 conference. 

Either way, a Nintendo Direct with supposedly 18 leaked titles is nothing to look away from, especially when it'd be in Nintendo's best interests to assure consumers of new titles this month. Keep in mind, after Christmas, people (including kids) will likely have money they received as gifts and on top of that, January is a massive sale month. It'd make sense for Nintendo to hold a major conference now so they can entice new customers during this time period, as well as assure current players of new titles coming. 

They've had a great first year for the Switch, but Nintendo also had an extremely heavy lineup announced from their own titles alone to convince people to give the Switch a try over it's first year. We were told from launch IIRC about BOTW, Odyssey, Arms, Splatoon 2, and a few other stuff that would be highly anticipated (Portable Skyrim). There's no reason they wouldn't do the same now.

As for me, here's my personal wishlist. Unlikely, probably but might as well.

Smash for Switch (Either a Smash 4 port or a new title entirely) - The Switch could use some more fighters and Smash 3DS had the right idea, only it was a bit limited due to hardware setbacks.

Batman Return to Arkham - HD Remaster of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City that released a year or so ago for PS4/Xbox One. Would pretty cool to have both titles portably. Left out Knight because that would be significantly more difficult to port.

Gamecube Emulation - We know Virtual Console is supposed to be getting implemented at some point during the year, so it'd be cool if we could finally have Switch do GameCube virtual console stuff.

Grand Theft Auto IV or V - Both are probably unlikely due to limitations but I'd love to have some more open-world stuff on Switch that isn't BOTW. 

18 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Highly doubtful. Big games won't be shown till the e3 direct at least big name titles

I have to agree, for the most part. They could announce some middle line titles that are meant to release in the next 6 months, though I expect most of the focus to be on the likes of Yoshi, Kirby, and Octopath Traveller.

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

If they announce anything it will most likely be Kirby maybe Phoenix Wright I'm thinking

Kirby's already been announced.

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

maybe Phoenix Wright I'm thinking

Hmmmm, well Capcom did announce not too long ago that they've got at least three Ace Attorney Switch projects coming out this year! Now you're talking!

I think strictly speaking Capcom announced that they were making a Switch Ace Attorney, and it was a rumour which stated three separate projects - those being the two compilations alongside the new game.

It's a pretty plausible rumour, though.  It makes sense that Capcom would port over the compilations to test out how to develop the games for the Switch, before using that knowledge on a new title - and it has the advantage of bringing the series to a main console for the benefit of those who maybe never owned handhelds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Announce a new Animal Crossing please. Odyssey was released a year after Super Mario Run attempted to bring in more fans, so hopefully the strategy is similar here. Release the mobile game one year, the homeboy the next.

It was news to me, but apparently there have been some minor Zelda projects rumoured for a little while, and those rumours seem to have been resurfacing with the possibility of an upcoming Nintendo Direct - so I thought it would be interesting to put them down so we can compare if there really is a Direct any time soon.  ...Partly as these ideas sound pretty unlikely to me.  The apparent sources are Grezzo advertising for staff for what is implied to be a remake or sequel, Nintendo allegedly asking journalists for pull quotes about ALBW, and the usual supposed insiders and leakers.

• A remake/port of A Link Between Worlds for the Switch.  Conceivable as a filler title, I suppose, but it's going to look like a really weird and unpolished product after BotW.
  • A BotW-inspired remake/sequel/reimagining of Link's Awakening for the 3DS.

I'd be pretty surprised if either of these were true - amazed if both were true, as they're essentially mutually exclusive - but that's the rumour mill for you.  Bring it on, Nintendo Direct, whenever you are!

On 1/7/2018 at 4:24 AM, FFWF said:

It was news to me, but apparently there have been some minor Zelda projects rumoured for a little while, and those rumours seem to have been resurfacing with the possibility of an upcoming Nintendo Direct - so I thought it would be interesting to put them down so we can compare if there really is a Direct any time soon.  ...Partly as these ideas sound pretty unlikely to me.  The apparent sources are Grezzo advertising for staff for what is implied to be a remake or sequel, Nintendo allegedly asking journalists for pull quotes about ALBW, and the usual supposed insiders and leakers.

• A remake/port of A Link Between Worlds for the Switch.  Conceivable as a filler title, I suppose, but it's going to look like a really weird and unpolished product after BotW.
  • A BotW-inspired remake/sequel/reimagining of Link's Awakening for the 3DS.

I'd be pretty surprised if either of these were true - amazed if both were true, as they're essentially mutually exclusive - but that's the rumour mill for you.  Bring it on, Nintendo Direct, whenever you are!

There's certainly no way Grezzo is working on two games. I also highly, highly doubt we're getting a new Zelda on 3DS. I do think Grezzo are working on Zelda, though.

"Conceivable as a filler title, I suppose, but it's going to look like a really weird and unpolished product after BotW."

Eh, I don't see any issues with it. I do think we'll probably see a top-down Zelda with clear lesser quality to it that BotW. And there's nothing wrong with that. It'll be a budget filler title. I don't really see a reason for it to be an LBW port, though. Honestly I was more expecting the second option, but on Switch instead.

EDIT: Just remembered! The one thing we DO know about Grezzo's next "legend" (which implies Zelda, but isn't a confirmation) is that its on Unreal Engine 4. IMO, that basically negates the first one completely. And Unreal Engine 4 doesn't run on 3DS, so that should also kill the second one. And if the 3DS part is wrong, why would they make an LBW-style game on Switch but using Unreal Engine 4 instead of the original game engine? None of it adds up.

2 hours ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

So it could be announced tomorrow or Wednesday?

Theoretically, yes. However, I'd argue the odds of the Direct being this week drop SIGNIFICANTLY if its not announced tomorrow. At the same time, I always figured Tuesday was the more likely time to get it announced anyway.

Regardless, most likely it'd be announced very early morning.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:10 AM, 11 Pawns-a-Piping said:

Announce a new Animal Crossing please. Odyssey was released a year after Super Mario Run attempted to bring in more fans, so hopefully the strategy is similar here. Release the mobile game one year, the homeboy the next.

IMO, if there's one thing I'd be shocked we didn't get this year, its Animal Crossing. There's zero doubt in my mind Animal Crossing Switch is coming this year. Especially now that Pocket Camp is finally out.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

There's certainly no way Grezzo is working on two games. I also highly, highly doubt we're getting a new Zelda on 3DS. I do think Grezzo are working on Zelda, though.

"Conceivable as a filler title, I suppose, but it's going to look like a really weird and unpolished product after BotW."

Eh, I don't see any issues with it. I do think we'll probably see a top-down Zelda with clear lesser quality to it that BotW. And there's nothing wrong with that. It'll be a budget filler title. I don't really see a reason for it to be an LBW port, though. Honestly I was more expecting the second option, but on Switch instead.

EDIT: Just remembered! The one thing we DO know about Grezzo's next "legend" (which implies Zelda, but isn't a confirmation) is that its on Unreal Engine 4. IMO, that basically negates the first one completely. And Unreal Engine 4 doesn't run on 3DS, so that should also kill the second one. And if the 3DS part is wrong, why would they make an LBW-style game on Switch but using Unreal Engine 4 instead of the original game engine? None of it adds up.

Solid analysis.  I certainly think there's a place for top-down Zelda along more classic lines in the series, even if the BotW developers have suggested that their aim is to follow through on the current open-world direction; ALBW was already an experiment in non-linearity and I'd like to see that taken further whilst still resembling that more abstract presentation of traditional Zelda.  One could regard them as two branches analogous to 2D and 3D Mario, for instance.  (My main complaint about ALBW is that I think it was really weird and unpolished anyway, but that's a matter for another time.)  Just what are Grezzo up to, though?  I suspect that, if it's a new game, we may not find out any time soon, not while BotW and its DLC are still current; if it's another remake, though I can't imagine what of, then it's conceivable we might hear about it a little sooner.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only new Zelda game I can see getting announced this early is Hyrule Warriors 2, and even then, I just think its more likely to get announced at E3, after all the FE Warriors DLC is over with.

Maybe, maybe we can see a new remake (Skyward Sword) or Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD being ported (preferably as a two-pack), but I'm just mixed on anything Zelda related atm.

I think Animal Crossing is a lock, and DK is very likely (at least TF Switch, if not also a new 3D DK). These two announcements would finally get games announced for Switch for all of Nintenodo's biggest IP. (Well, other than Smash, but Smash is a crossover of everything.) Pikmin 4 is also very likely.

I can also see things like any Mario spinoff, random things like WarioWare / Kid Icarus / Punch Out / etc, Retro's project, maybe Smash (I'm mixed on it being now or E3 if its this year, but IMO, I feel like if its this year it has to get announced ASAP rather than at E3).

I hesitate to comment on specifics about random things. There's a number of IP that haven't gotten titles in a while and could get announced at any time. Or not at all. And not specifically "dead" things like F-Zero or Mother, which are impossible to guess if/when we'd ever get an announcement.

I don't think we'll get a word about Pokemon or Metroid Prime 4.

44 minutes ago, FFWF said:

if the BotW developers have suggested that their aim is to follow through on the current open-world direction

Honestly I think people are jumping the gun way too much on this. With this statement, to me its always just referring to the main core big 3D titles, and doesn't account for smaller budget titles at all. This is only for the main games (which aren't the handheld games, despite what some people want to claim).

EDIT: Also, I just want to clarify. I don't think all of this is happening. I'm just speculating on possibilities. The only things I think will happen in the next Direct are Animal Crossing and no Pokemon or MP4. DKC: TF on Switch I'm certain will happen, but could get announced in a later Direct, and may not even happen this year (I just think there's a good chance of it getting announced ASAP).

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo Russia said to "expect something soon" regarding a Nintendo Direct.

19 minutes ago, Radiant Christmas Ike said:

Nintendo Russia said to "expect something soon" regarding a Nintendo Direct.

Yeah, I saw that. I considered posting it here. At first only one source was reporting it (on Reddit), and I didn't want to jump the gun and assume it was a legit Nintendo account. There are so many fakes. But with so many people reporting it, it seems to be the case that it is the real Nintendo Russia account. There's also additional announcement-type reveals cropping up here and there, such as a recent trademark being discovered for 1080 Snowboarding in Europe.

And that GIF's over all the other official accounts as well. It's just a case of waiting. For the UK, it's usually between now and 19:00 when the announcements hit, so a Direct could be confirmed within the hour.

This is so silly at this point.  But not in a way where I think it's really anyone's fault.  I think nobody really realised how hungry they were for news until the prospect of it became realistic, and what looks like a legitimate delay has contributed an unexpected element of unpredictability to the whole mess.  Everyone just wants something to happen.  Anything!

I hope the Direct is early next week, at least.  Not sure I can take another seven days of this prediction-of-an-announcement-of-an-announcement hype train.

If it's delayed ok. Seriously seeing people act like rabid foaming fanboys is sad. Nintendo usually does not let us fans down except for the Wii u

10 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Did anyone catch this, or is this old news?

I assume it's old news, given that I heard exactly the same thing in this thread back in November.

On 23/11/2017 at 11:35 PM, Zippo said:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/direct_links/

Here we go again.

As with previous Directs, an empty slot for a new Nintendo Direct has shown up on the Japanese site. Does this mean a new Direct is imminent? Nintendo doesn't have a single first party Switch game dated for any month next year so it makes sense to do one soon.

I seem to recall that the last time a slot opened up, it was a similarly unreliable indicator of the imminency of a new Direct.  We may have to stop paying attention to this clue.