Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  • Games are STILL locked by region for online. This one is a total joke and has killed a lot of the enjoyment for me when it comes to games like Splatoon 2. Just a week or so ago, @Kaze no Klonoa wanted me to help out with a Splatfest group (which for the record would've been the first time I actually took part in a Splatfest) only to disappointingly find out that it was region locked and I couldn't be apart of his group. This massively impacts and harms the fun of online and the only other game I can think of not inflicted by the issue is Mario Kart 8 and possibly Xenoverse 2.

I don't know how much difference this makes, but it's only the Splatfests that are region locked by my understanding - presumably because the final score tallies are also calculated per region. During normal online play I was able to consistently join friends in the Netherlands and US just fine. Granted, I still think it's kind of shitty that you can't join players abroad at all once a Splatfest does start but it's not exactly as black and white an issue as you're portraying it. Hell, I've yet to see a game besides Splatoon that actually does this.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

I don't know how much difference this makes, but it's only the Splatfests that are region locked by my understanding - presumably because the final score tallies are also calculated per region. During normal online play I was able to consistently join friends in the Netherlands and US just fine. Granted, I still think it's kind of shitty that you can't join players abroad at all once a Splatfest does start but it's not exactly as black and white an issue as you're portraying it. Hell, I've yet to see a game besides Splatoon that actually does this.

Come Smash bros I think they’ll fix this indefinitely 

It's cause different regions sometimes have events specific for certain regions. Faaaaaar from a bad things honestly.  hopefully the subscription service in a few months improves things

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Well, our first scoop on this system has just dropped, with little prior notice.

Key things to note are:

- Now fully confirmed to be $19.99 per year, plus a family group membership for $34.99

- Launches with 20 NES titles, nearly equivalent to the entire NES Classic lineup, more to follow afterwards

- Fate of GB, SNES, GCN, etc. emulations still unknown

- Includes Cloud Save Data Backup

- Still relies far too much on the smartphone app, including Voice Chat for NES online play

- Special membership offers

- Nintendo will tell more about specific features later 

Also, if anyone tries to cite a supposed rumor that is now "confirmed" by the online reveal, please don't.

There's a rumor that said the info would come out by May 7th and would have cloud saves. However, it also said Nintendo Classics (previously known as Virtual Console) would be a thing related to online, as well as NES and GBA at launch (not just NES, this is blatantly wrong now), a September 24th release date, and voice chat through the system/an existing app (like Discord).

Some of this could still potentially happen, but first off, the leak said it'd be announced at the same time, and the GBA part is blatantly false. Its not a real leak. I'm just sharing this info because so many people are spreading the leak as confirmed now because he happened to get the date right (Nintendo already said early May anyway).

• Thumbs Up 1

A part of me is undoubtedly sad and disappointed, but another part just doesn't care that much anymore due to the number of times I've bought certain games in my VC library, and I wasn't a fan of the Wii U's slow trickle of games and its lacking library compared to the Wii's VC. If Switch VC was announced, you bet your ass it would have had the same problems aaaaall over again.

I'm not planning on parting with my Wii U anyway; I use it as a Virtual Console machine these days, and I wouldn't have bothered paying an upgrade price on the Switch for half the games on it.

• Thumbs Up 5

£18 p/a is a good price. Just getting NES games is a mild disappointment, but with online functionality sounds interesting. But for all of it to be truly worth it they better sort their infrastructure out. IDK if it's just Splatoon 2's netcode but like every 1 out of 4 games someone gets dropped. MK8D isn't much better.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

A part of me is undoubtedly sad and disappointed, but another part just doesn't care that much anymore due to the number of times I've bought certain games in my VC library, and I wasn't a fan of the Wii U's slow trickle of games and its lacking library compared to the Wii's VC. If Switch VC was announced, you bet your ass it would have had the same problems aaaaall over again.

I'm not planning on parting with my Wii U anyway; I use it as a Virtual Console machine these days, and I wouldn't have bothered paying an upgrade price on the Switch for half the games on it.

I mostly feel the same way; but I just wish Nintendo were still releasing games for the Wii U eShop so they would still be supporting VC in some fashion. It doesn't help that you can no longer purchase Wii VC games, and the Wii Shop Channel will eventually go offline next year.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Marcello said:

What they've confirmed is that classic games won't be released under the name "Virtual Console".

While true, that doesn't paint the full picture. With Virtual Console, Nintendo had standardised emulators that were used for every game, not just their own. So whether you were playing Nintendo's own Super Mario World or Capcom's Street Fighter II on SNES VC, they were running the same SNES emulator behind the scenes. This made it easier for third parties to re-release their old games and standardised features like performance, save states and interface. The Virtual Console was also a brand in itself. As evidenced by the SEGA Ages collection, third party developers are going to be a lot more independent now in re-releasing old games. This comes with its own inevitable list of pros and cons. They'll be able to exercise more creative and technical freedom to manage their own games and do things that weren't so easily done through the VC emulators, but it also opens the floodgates for sloppy releases too. And without the backing of a standardised VC, some games may be deemed not worth the effort, so might not get released at all.

• Thumbs Up 6

I first got a Nintendo Switch on 4/15/2018, and it's a fun system. I got the games Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and they are indeed fun games. I also do hope that Nintendo introduces a classic games store to the Switch, where we can buy classic games such as Earthbound (SNES) and Super Mario 64 (N64), even if it won't be named the Virtual Console.

• Thumbs Up 1

New Jimquisition about why the Switch Online Service is shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some Amazon sites are now selling pre-orders...for Nintendo Switch Online cards, or codes even.

That's bizarre. Why would anyone need to pre-order a subscription for a yet to be released service? When the service launches, it would probably take two minutes to get up and running. Its not like Nintendo Switch Online codes are going to sell out before launch.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

This is somewhat worrying, hope this ends up being a small amount of Switches.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

This is somewhat worrying, hope this ends up being a small amount of Switches.

This actually is something that is on the minor side. The real kicker is that only a very small percentage are related to overheating. In most cases, it due to people being rageaholics or because they are clumsy, but they still play it off like the overheating did it. If we would could exaggerate a moment, on the off chance that this were to happen on a much larger scale. Let's say hypothetically 20% of all sold Switch consoles had this issue. It would much more widely talked about than it is now.

This guy goes a bit more in depth about this, if anyone is interested.

9 minutes ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

This actually is something that is on the minor side. The real kicker is that only a very small percentage are related to overheating. In most cases, it due to people being rageaholics or because they are clumsy, but they still play it off like the overheating did it. If we would could exaggerate a moment, on the off chance that this were to happen on a much larger scale. Let's say hypothetically 20% of all sold Switch consoles had this issue. It would much more widely talked about than it is now.

This guy goes a bit more in depth about this, if anyone is interested.

Hence why I said I hope it's a small amount of Switches that have legitimate crack issues. I saw the above video and knew it was somewhat isolated so I thought while it was worth sharing, it ultimately amounted to small instances.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

My Switch has no issues and I'm basically constantly on it.

Not every switch will have issues. The likelihood of having a defective Switch is pretty low, though it can still happen. This issue with there being cracks due to overheating, is some kind of manufacturing error. Though it's a very isolated case. So it's something to keep an eye on. But so far, it's not happening often enough to cause any major consurn.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering this is probably the game most are looking into or already playing it, here's my opinion on Octopath and why I don't think it's worth it to do the bonus Dungeon unlocked after doing all 8 stories and doing certain sidequests.

After spending 4 days getting everyone to the appropriate level, then 2 and a half hours on Journey's End, with at least of an hour of it just only Galdera, all you're treated to is a short scene wrapping up the story of a NPC you see like 3 times. You get all the important lore in the boss gauntlet before Galdera even. As for the fight itself, the 1st phase is a slog, but at least with interesting mechanic of having to time killing adds with shifting weaknesses. The second form is awful, it's just spam Winnehild's Battle cry, and live long enough to do so as Galdera mercilessly pummels you (it's a straight war of attrition). Note if you wipe you also have to do it all over again. The 8 stories themselves are satisfying enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that stinks. But definitely seems like a a Ubisoft thing to do...

in any case, finally got a switch! Smash hype got to me and my friend sold it to me for cheap. Currently just have MK8, but am loving this so far. Not sure what game to get next tbh

Oh, there's a whole raft of games to get, @KHCast. As ever it depends on what you like, but many people I've seen always recommend Breath of the Wild, and I would too. I'm currently stuck into Go Vacation, though I have no idea if that would be something you'd like. It's a great game to just explore in, and though some of the minigames can be quite simple there's more than enough racing or trick-style events to drown out those lesser ones.

As for other ideas, I'm sure others have a lot more to offer.

49 minutes ago, KHCast said:

in any case, finally got a switch! Smash hype got to me and my friend sold it to me for cheap. Currently just have MK8, but am loving this so far. Not sure what game to get next tbh

It's the somewhat cliched answer, but Sonic Mania should definitely be high up there if you enjoyed it before. Having it in a portable fashion is a whole new experience and it works amazingly as a game you can pull out on the bus or a travel for a little while, clear a few levels, and then put away again.

Mario Odyssey is the big one I'd recommend as well, and the Mega Man Legacy Collections aren't half-bad either.