Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

I was a skeptic when I first saw the system and what it did. But man do I love it!

The little thing is so well presented and packs a big punch! Even 1,2 Switch is fun.

Like Zelda, the system feels like you can play it however you want.

If Nintendo plays their cards right I can see this system attract both "casual" audience and people that play games a lot.

Quick thoughts -it's a lot better than I expected. The screen is decent, as is the overall look and feel of the console. I've taken a liking to use of buttons for a d-pad. They just feel right but I'm not quite sure why. 

Decided to give Bomberman a blast(!) both online and off and have found it to be fun but with a small issue regarding control input. Offline there feels like a very slight button delay that is noticeable but doesn't really effect gameplay, however it's worse when playing online. Playing in handheld mode but will try in docked mode and see if there's any improvement.

Can't post screenshots to facebook currently but dunno why. Friend codes are easy enough, game updates are quick, the volume is nice and clear... erm that's it at the min :) 

SW-5726-7020-3333

Love my Switch.  Zelda is solid so far, though climbing mountains can be kind of annoying.  Super Bomberman R is simple yet enjoyable, and Snipperclips is adorable!

The system interface is also pretty good and the loadtimes are super fast!

My only complaint is that the kickstand is kind of weak/flimsy.

Great to see quite positive impressions so far. There's a metric fuck ton of games I want to play, but they're just not there yet.

I'm loving the Switch so far too!

The UI is beautifully snappy and minimalist which just gives the system such a better sense of life compared the the Wii U's relatively roll-along menus.

The hardware's definitely been enjoyable to work with too. The Joy-Cons are comfortable despite their small size and work well in the grip for playing Zelda. Likewise they feel sturdy and locked-in when attached to the switch tablet. We all know the score with the kickstand by now and, yeah, I can only agree really. Now, admittedly I have already made the sin of forgetting to put it back in when docking and it snapped off. For anybody who's worried about that, the little tabs on the stand that fit onto the unit are actually metal so you don't have to worry about the tabs getting damaged too. A little bit of force lets you fit the tabs back into the indents on the system and you're back in business.

My sister was passing my room last night while I was playing Zelda and asked how the system was so far since she'd genuinely seen nothing about it online other than the name. I showed her the Joy-Cons in the grip and how the system could be converted into a portable. She was definitely apprehensive about the Joy-Cons when she first saw them but she was very impressed in the end once she'd seen how the hybrid function works. I think the Switch's gimmick is definitely one that can appeal to casual gamers more than the Wii U was able to, provided they're able to see it in action for themselves.

I won't get into Zelda here, but yes it's pretty darn great so far from the relatively small playtime I've had. The Joy-Cons are definitely more than suitable for playing the game so don't worry if you don't have a pro-controller yet.

My friend code is SW-5790-3614-2805 so if anybody wants an extra friend on there then feel free to add me!

Okay, think I've decided that I don't really like the Joy-Con Grip very much. It's just too light, and the grips are too small to be comfortable. The same also goes for the L/R buttons because they're so much thinner than the Z ones. And although the D-buttons are actually fine on their own, they prove really difficult to press when you're holding the grip. They're positioned directly underneath and physically lower than the left stick. The Joy-Con R doesn't have that issue. 

However, holding a Joy-Con in each hand (ala Wii Remote and Nunchuck) actually works a treat. The Pro Controller is obviously superior, but the gripless setup is nicer than I thought it would be; especially for Zelda when you want to aim. The right Joy-Con controls all of the camera and aiming functions, so when you have them out of the grip you just need to move one hand instead of both. That extra freedom is absolutely delightful and has been sorely underplayed by Nintendo and critics. It's actually something that I really loved about the Wii looking back on it, so it's great to have an improved version of it. 

In games where there's a lot of motion controls going on, two gripless Joy-Cons are going to be my first choice of controls. Anything more traditional will get the Pro Controller and I'll just lumber my friends with the crappy grip for multiplayer. 

The system feels nice and im glad i bought it. But a few things

wireless connection sucks to high heck. Just saying doing a speed test and im only getting 4Mb on it when my top speed on my pc is about 89Mb

next  well actually i think thats my main issue really. the system runs great. Just the internet sucks on it. and you really need the pro controller for some games.

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-02-yes-nintendo-switch-cards-really-do-taste-bad-on-purpose

So them tasting bad was intentional lol. I kinda wanna try this myself to see if it's really THAT bad haha

Well I must admit,  getting little tykes to spit them out in disgust is better than waiting for them to come out the other end. 

48 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

n waiting for them to come out the other end. 

Least you can say then when talking about your experience with botw, "I played a shitty game"

http://trib.al/kqVIZKT

The Switch's first major flaw has been discovered and confirmed by Nintendo themselves.

With this being the case, I'll be holding off on the system until they bring out a newer model that rectifies this.

A new model isn't necessary. This isn't the sort of thing that needs new hardware, just a firmware update with new features.

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

http://trib.al/kqVIZKT

The Switch's first major flaw has been discovered and confirmed by Nintendo themselves.

With this being the case, I'll be holding off on the system until they bring out a newer model that rectifies this.

9 minutes ago, Candescence said:

A new model isn't necessary. This isn't the sort of thing that needs new hardware, just a firmware update with new features.

Yep, It's an intentional design decision to help prevent hacking. However we know they are planning to implement cloud Saves when the actual Online service goes live, and there will be some form of system transfer down the line, probably using the system to system WLAN connection. saving to memory card may be added later, but it is a risk. Now, saves are pretty small, and putting downloaded games on an SD card(you can get a 64GB for like 15 bucks, no big deal) should keep it from being an issue for a long time

Yeah, no waiting for new hardware there. What you want to wait for is a firmware update that allows save transferring or implements a cloud save system.

Honestly besides Zelda if you didn't get a switch it's ok. Cause atm that literally all there is. Besides a few others. Bomberman is ok but I liked the gc titles leagues more.

Also just saying Zelda amazing.  it's my first one

And here we go. Great news. Congrats on the launch, Nintendo.

1. Update on Nintendo Switch sales I'll break into a multi-tweet. This from an intvw with Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of Amer. Pres

2. Fri-Sat sales for Nintendo Switch exceeded first 2-day sales in Americas for any system in Nintendo history. Next biggest was Wii.

3. This is particularly notable given that Switch launched in March, rather than holidays

4. Zelda for Nintendo Switch the best selling standalone launch title (i.e. not a bundled game a la Wii Sports) in Nintendo history...

5. ...beating Super Mario for N64

6. Long term comparisons to Wii, which sold more than 100 m LTD, are tough. But good start for Switch, with big games coming.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nice to see they've apparently pulled a switch on their sales direction.

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. And let's face it, most of the people who bought a Switch probably bought it for Zelda, so imagine how well this thing will take off later int the year when Super Mario Odyssey and the like come out!

I really, sincerely hope this is a major turnaround for Nintendo after the tragically lukewarm reception of the WiiU. Nintendo is still a fantastic company that makes fantastic games, and it's about time the gamers who gave up on them come to realize that.

That's a great start to have, considering it launched with a truly bare bones games line-up. I hope that their anti-drought strategy pays off, and that we'll get a good idea of what's coming beyond Mario and Splatoon 2 when E3 rolls around.

Here's something fun, famous YouTuber CrowbCat has assembled a montage about the Switch launch:

Quite a console Nintendo has on their hands; design flaws, manufacturing errors and software glitches all revealed in the same week. It honestly looks like Nintendo rushed the Switch out of R&D before it was ready to meet the end of their financial year in March. It's a short-term decision that's inevitably going to cost Nintendo in the long run as this bad PR continues.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Patticus said:

That's a great start to have, considering it launched with a truly bare bones games line-up. I hope that their anti-drought strategy pays off, and that we'll get a good idea of what's coming beyond Mario and Splatoon 2 when E3 rolls around.

That's looking to be the plan, having a new first party game every month of the year is a very smart idea, momentum is always needed to get a console off the ground, and it's something the Wii U didn't have.

3 hours ago, Kintor said:

Here's something fun, famous YouTuber CrowbCat has assembled a montage about the Switch launch:

Quite a console Nintendo has on their hands; design flaws, manufacturing errors and software glitches all revealed in the same week. It honestly looks like Nintendo rushed the Switch out of R&D before it was ready to meet the end of their financial year in March. It's a short-term decision that's inevitably going to cost Nintendo in the long run as this bad PR continues.

Every launch has about a >1-2% console failure rate due to manufacturing hiccups. It's not Nintendo's fault and it happens at every system launch. Majority of people are having ino issues with their switch(I'm one of them), and it's doing fine.

Some issues. 

Wi-Fi connection sucks. Bad still

Also how do I cut the system off only option I have is sleep mode

Good on the sales but also saying Zelda was biggest launch on the system is cause well literally it was and is the only game for the system atm besides a party game and bomberman.

Odessey will be a good title late this year though