Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Some issues. 

Wi-Fi connection sucks. Bad still

Also how do I cut the system off only option I have is sleep mode

Good on the sales but also saying Zelda was biggest launch on the system is cause well literally it was and is the only game for the system atm besides a party game and bomberman.

Odessey will be a good title late this year though

It's also a really major and good game. Also it did less in Japan, but They have a larger line up(Noubonga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kindgoms, Dissidia 5, Dragon Quest Heroes 1/2 are all pretty big over there)

Also you hold the power button to turn it off

1 minute ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

It's also a really major and good game. Also it did less in Japan, but They have a larger line up(Noubonga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kindgoms, Dissidia 5, Dragon Quest Heroes 1/2 are all pretty big over there)

Also you hold the power button to turn it off

You'd think the power icon in the menu would give you a sleep or power down option like most things

43 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Every launch has about a >1-2% console failure rate due to manufacturing hiccups. It's not Nintendo's fault and it happens at every system launch. Majority of people are having ino issues with their switch(I'm one of them), and it's doing fine.

You should watch the video I linked in last post, the problems with the Switch can't be offhandedly be dismissed as mere 'manufacturing hiccups'. Horrible screeching noises emanating from the device, an inability to read game cartridges, outright failure of the LCD screen. These problems are frequently occurring and people are reporting their problems online through social media, it reflects a lack of quality control Nintendo's part.

Then you have the design flaws. Take the base station for example, it's a tiny circuit board that takes up 5% of the space, the rest is empty plastic. At best you could call the base station a rip-off but then there's the fact that the base also easily scratches the Switch's screen if the owner isn't absolutely careful. I hear that Nintendo has delisted replacements bases from their website, which sounds like a product recall or at least an emergency hardware revision to prevent further damage to Switch screens in the future.

Not to mention other idiotic problems. Like having the USB charging port located at the bottom of the machine, making the Switch awkward to hold while attempting to recharge while playing in remote mode. While connecting the Joycon straps incorrectly causes the mechanism to jam, making it next to impossible to remove the straps. So you see, it's all this little incidental problems which are adding up to a big headache for Nintendo.

This is pretty nuts. It hasn't even been a week, but I'm really happy to see launch weekend be a success for them, everywhere.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-07-nintendo-switch-beat-wii-over-two-days-in-the-americas-report

Nintendo of Europe says that Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

What's more, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in Europe - beating the previous record holder Wii Sports (which was bundled with the hardware).

The firm points out that this was achieved during a 'traditionally quiet time for the games industry'.

10 hours ago, Kintor said:

Here's something fun, famous YouTuber CrowbCat has assembled a montage about the Switch launch:

Quite a console Nintendo has on their hands; design flaws, manufacturing errors and software glitches all revealed in the same week. It honestly looks like Nintendo rushed the Switch out of R&D before it was ready to meet the end of their financial year in March. It's a short-term decision that's inevitably going to cost Nintendo in the long run as this bad PR continues.

Errors and screwups happening with the screen, system, and the games are par the course. Those Switches/Game Cards are --for the most part-- unfortunate exceptions of otherwise working-as-intended launch units, it happens. People having issues with those can hopefully get reimbursement through a working replacement or refunds, or just buy another one. 

The issues with Joy-Cons straps and sensors, and the dock scratching the screens, however, seem more evident of flawed design decisions that weren't thought out well. The Joy Cons and/or straps should had some sort of failsafe design with the straps so people can't (easily) snap the straps onto the Joy-Cons backwards by mistake. And it kinda goes without saying the Joy-Con sensors should had probably been given better QA--Nintendo's suggestions to the Joy-Con sensor issues mostly amounted to setting up and playing the Switch in correspondence of a laundry list of "don'ts". "Don't play it near aquariums", "Don't use the Joy-Cons with *insert long list of electronic devices here* nearby and/or turned on", "Don't feed the Switch after midnight"...setting up and playing the Switch in an wide room with any other devices placed at a distance around and/or offline seemed to be their recommendation to using the Joy-Cons without issue. Which may work for some, but I doubt will be helpful advice for most people experiencing these issues. (Neither was their handwaving response that "dead pixels found in certain Switch screens are a characteristic, not a defect", though those are, again, manufacturing hiccups rather than design problems.) 

And the dock should have had some sort of cloth or soft padding in the inside to prevent scratches from happening...or should have had a different design altogether that doesn't cover up the screen in the first place (a la Wii U GamePad Dock). A popular argument seems to tell people to buy a screen protector, but one shouldn't have to do that in the first place. These scratches are happening by people inserting the Switch into the dock as instructed, and are being caused by something that comes with the Switch packaging itself. :/ That aside, the dock overall seems really cheaply put together as well.

Considering they are both part and parcel of the overall Switch package (in regards to the fancy tech/development costs poured into them, the premium pricing Nintendo's charging for them, and --in the case of the Joy-Cons-- serve as the default accessory tied to the Switch console); it's really surprising Nintendo would overlook or not see some of these problems before allowing the Joy-Cons / dock to hit the market in their current state. These issues along with other concerns (launch day lineup and system media features being very barebones, for starters) really does feel like the Switch platform was rushed to release before these problems could be properly ironed out.

• Thumbs Up 5

The only thing I've noticed with the dock leaving any kind of marks on the Switch is a smudge from the little rubber bit where the bottom of the screen sits (in the corner of the bezel). It comes out with some eyeglass cleaning wipes and a microfiber cloth. This was a major concern for me when I first heard of it, but I clean my system/screen practically daily and have docked/undocked it a bunch for the week I've owned it. Perhaps I'm just fortunate, though. I was going to get a screen protector, but I've seen reviews for some, even Hori's Premium protector, that scared me off (specifically they appear to peel after a while perhaps due to the heat from the dock).

I do not really like the dock design, though--I like the idea of it, but little things like the rubber bits that do rub against the bezel when the system sits in there or just the way the wires are organized could have been better thought out (I don't like that the wires come out of one side and it was kind of pain to reorganize my entertainment center to account for where the wires were and I'm sure as hell not leaving the dock door open). A redesign is something I'd like to see, at least one that's not quite as anxiety-inducing.

That all said, for the week I've owned the system, it's all I've been playing on and I've really enjoyed playing Zelda on it. I dig the Joy-Cons and I haven't had reception issues unless I just leave the room and go into another (though if I'm in view from the down the hallway they appear to function still). The screen is really nice and I like that I can adjust the brightness on the fly. Actually the overall UI is just really nice and I like that I can suspend gameplay and then return to it quickly whenever I need to check options or just look at my new screenshots (the compression on these fucking kills me though). All in all, I like the system. I just hope Nintendo is looking into everything and the console just keeps steadily improving. I think it could be a winner should these things be addressed and the system's support grows.

One week out, system's been hacked.

It even makes use of a known vulnerability. Jesus Christ, Nintendo. I love you but you really do some half-baked shit sometimes.

EDIT: Didn't realize a link to the exploit was in the article itself, so I'm removing it. But, in summary, there is a known Webkit vulnerability that can be accessed through the system's hidden browser (you sort of see some of the browser when accessing the eShop or whatever) . I expect this will probably get patched out eventually, but it's definitely a shame that Nintendo made a mistake like this.

I'm glad the systems doing so well but at the same time shake my head. The main reason Zelda is doing so well on it is cause that is literally the only game for it.

Also I hope online functions let us message friends atm it's pointless to add anyone. Plus I'm disappointed Nintendo hasn't embraced achievements like everyone else still

The main reason Zelda is doing so well on it is cause that is literally the only game for it.

@Meta77

As opposed to it just being a legitimately good launch title of a game?

Ignoring the positive comments of other good games on there like Bomberman R, Shovel Knight, etc, considering how quite a few people haven't even obtained BOTW despite having a Switch and the many who'd just get it for the Wii U when they've got that system, it's quite clearly a faulty claim to make without proper evidence.

You'd be better off trying to claim the main reasons are it being a launch title and the new innovations, especially for Zelda fans it draws in, if you wanted to make such a case as the one you're presenting against BOTW currently.

Proper evidence is talking with gamers on forums. In person and Reddit. Zelda a good game never said it wasn't but reading yourself in thinking people bought a switch for shovel knight.  No no. And bomberman is far from good. Honestly it's a 20 game at best. The online is very lag fest as well. Botwis probably atm goty material but that's one driving reason most were in line with me at midnight for

Proper evidence is talking with gamers on forums. In person and Reddit. Zelda a good game never said it wasn't but reading yourself in thinking people bought a switch for shovel knight.  No no. And bomberman is far from good. Honestly it's a 20 game at best. The online is very lag fest as well. Botwis probably atm goty material but that's one driving reason most were in line with me at midnight for

@Meta77

So in that case then, your evidence is actually supporting the idea that Breath of the Wild is actually a console seller as opposed to it only selling well due to a lack of games.

As for Shovel Knight, well yeah, the idea is that it's the first one to have Specter of Torment, so it's definitely an idea to help sell the system for the time being so no duh, that'd serve as a reason among reasons as a business/sales tactic.

As for Bomberman R, it's funny you mention the number 20, since it's apparently the best selling Bomberman game in 20 years, so you've certainly got your work cut out for you, if you're trying to claim that Bomberman R didn't also have a notable sales impact.2MCcs8v.gif

@Meta77

So in that case then, your evidence is actually supporting the idea that Breath of the Wild is actually a console seller as opposed to it only selling well due to a lack of games.

As for Shovel Knight, well yeah, the idea is that it's the first one to have Specter of Torment, so it's definitely an idea to help sell the system for the time being so no duh, that'd serve as a reason among reasons as a business/sales tactic.

As for Bomberman R, it's funny you mention the number 20, since it's apparently the best selling Bomberman game in 20 years, so you've certainly got your work cut out for you, if you're trying to claim that Bomberman R didn't also have a notable sales impact.2MCcs8v.gif

OF course. Nintenod knew id move systens helk its one reason i bought mine. if I had a edgeworth picture ask yourself is a reason for that cause it's nearly been 8 years since the last game. It's a popular franchise. But the games a mess. I like the characters but honestly your paying 60 for a mp game.

I enjoyed the story. Haven't been able to do multi locally yet, but I tried online and had one successful match, and a couple with bad lag, however Konami have promised to fix not only the online lag, but also any in-game movement lag as well. That's a step in the right direction, and with the few bugs fixed it's a solid Bomberman entry, albeit not an overly innovative one

OF course. Nintenod knew id move systens helk its one reason i bought mine. if I had a edgeworth picture ask yourself is a reason for that cause it's nearly been 8 years since the last game. It's a popular franchise. But the games a mess. I like the characters but honestly your paying 60 for a mp game.

And that brings us back to the actual point of my bringing up Bomberman R and company. Not that game's quality itself, but how BOTW ain't selling hotcakes mainly by being as you put it,

The main reason Zelda is doing so well on it is cause that is literally the only game for it.

I mean, yeah, you admitting that even Nintendo planted it as a system mover presents the contradiction in posts that shows that Zelda isn't quite as alone as you make it out to be. Let alone being "literally the only game for" the Switch, an incorrect statement at that, the leading reason for it to sell well.

I enjoyed the story. Haven't been able to do multi locally yet, but I tried online and had one successful match, and a couple with bad lag, however Konami have promised to fix not only the online lag, but also any in-game movement lag as well. That's a step in the right direction, and with the few bugs fixed it's a solid Bomberman entry, albeit not an overly innovative one

Lord I forgot in game lag. It's brutal and f the hige higes they have not pattern at all

And that brings us back to the actual point of my bringing up Bomberman R and company. Not that game's quality itself, but how BOTW ain't selling hotcakes mainly by being as you put it,

I mean, yeah, you admitting that even Nintendo planted it as a system mover presents the contradiction in posts that shows that Zelda isn't quite as alone as you make it out to be. Let alone being "literally the only game for" the Switch, an incorrect statement at that, the leading reason for it to sell well.

I see your points and stroke my chin and nod

My Switch froze for the first time the other day, when trying to resume Zelda after work it was stuck on the options screen in Breath of the Wild, I could still scroll through the options but none of the buttons was doing anything on the Joy-Cons, even removing and re-docking the console didn't fix it, just moved the screen to the TV and back. The home button wouldn't work and neither would the power button, eventually I had to hold the power button in for a good 10 seconds to force reset it, and now it's fine but definitely a scare with the limited turn-off options and that unplugging the AC doesn't really achieve anything other than activating handheld mode anyway.

I still also need a case but it's proving harder to find a case for it than it is picking up an actual console right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had many times where my console won't connect to my tv. The systems on but it can not find it. I have to pick up the tablet and set it back down to get it to cut on. Not a big issue but just a mild annoyance. I like the system. Also need to get wired adapter Wi-Fi is not going to cut it it seems

I also had signal problems just once so far.  My TV seems to be able to smartly detect it as it does with some other devices of mine - if it recieves a signal from the Switch, it automatically changes to that HDMI channel, and the channel even renames itself from "HDMI3" to "NintendoSwitch".

However the other day it was doing this as usual but just not displaying any image or sound.  My TV brought up a "No Signal" message despite switching to the channel and displaying the "NintendoSwitch" channel name as usual.  Docking and undocking did nothing, but in the end, manually changing to another HDMI channel and changing back again fixed it so perhaps it was on my TV's end.

9 minutes ago, Lady Soniko said:

My Switch froze for the first time the other day, when trying to resume Zelda after work it was stuck on the options screen in Breath of the Wild, I could still scroll through the options but none of the buttons was doing anything on the Joy-Cons, even removing and re-docking the console didn't fix it, just moved the screen to the TV and back. The home button wouldn't work and neither would the power button, eventually I had to hold the power button in for a good 10 seconds to force reset it, and now it's fine but definitely a scare with the limited turn-off options and that unplugging the AC doesn't really achieve anything other than activating handheld mode anyway.

I still also need a case but it's proving harder to find a case for it than it is picking up an actual console right now.

Mine got stuck briefly yesterday when I suspended my game and went to change an Internet setting. Basically had to do the same thing. Definitely gave me a scare (though it's covered by warranty, so I'd have hit up Nintendo immediately).

That and sketchy Wi-Fi connection have been my only real qualms with the system so far (but I always have Wi-Fi issues with my Nintendo systems and usually takes someone talking me through some specific configuration to get it work). Outside of that, it works nicely. I still need to get a protector for mine. Getting paranoid about my screen though I take care of it well, just not sure what I should go with. Anyone have recommendations?

My wifi has been fine for the most part so I'm not sure what to recommend, I wonder if it's to do with IPS?

4 minutes ago, Lady Soniko said:

My wifi has been fine for the most part so I'm not sure what to recommend, I wonder if it's to do with IPS?

I think it's just Nintendo on that end. My ps4. Xbox. Both get about 68Mbps of my best 89 down speed but my switch last i check was only getting 15Mbps to 24Mbps. I've read a wired connection does much better

Having a wired connection defeats the purpose of the console being half used as a handheld though lol, the 3DS gets good signal and wifi coverage, I hope it gets fixed in time for Splatoon 2. I wonder if that's part of the reason for the testfire at the end of the month?