Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

I tried to read up on this but it appears to be just everyone debunking everyone else, including themselves, allegedly, maybe.  And the rumours themselves aren't even particularly interesting, just varying degrees of "the console has good specs" (groundbreaking theory there) and "my inside sources could beat up your inside sources."

• Thumbs Up 1

In other words, everyone's just trying to get the first word on the NX, no one is reliable in the slightest bit of the word, so just damn well wait until Nintendo tells us what the hell the thing is. Pretty much as expected.

2 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

In other words, everyone's just trying to get the first word on the NX, no one is reliable in the slightest bit of the word, so just damn well wait until Nintendo tells us what the hell the thing is. Pretty much as expected.

Better lock the thread until it gets revealed then. :V

There's literally nothing else to talk about. We can speculate on what could be, sure, but... That's pretty much the same thing as discussing rumors. Talking about something that might happen, but is uncomfirmed.

If you're so tired of rumors, maybe you shouldn't be in the thread? I don't mean that in an unkind or harsh way, but people are still going to be posting rumors regardless of what you said.

Besides, no one here is immediately going "OH SNAP IT'S REAL" to any of these. But they are exciting tidbits nonetheless, and it's just fun to think about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, this happens every time a new Nintendo system is expected to be on the way. I don't know why any of you would expect it to be otherwise.

Just wait and see what Nintendo actually unveils, and in the meantime, enjoy the rumours! No sense getting all worked up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another rumor from Emily Rogers on the NX:

Instead of focusing our attention solely on hardware, we should really be having a discussion about NX’s software. Based on things I’ve heard, I am 100% confident that the NX’s software output will blow away the Wii U’s software output (which was never impressive to begin with). In a single year, the NX will build a larger library of games than Wii U produced in three or four years.

This isn’t some hyperbolic statement. This isn’t speculation nor blind optimism. These aren’t my personal fan wishes either. Furthermore, my negative feelings toward the Wii U have zero influence on any of the information mentioned below.

Here is what I’ve been told by my sources close to Nintendo:

• The big fundamental focal point (and overall goal) behind NX is to vastly increase the software output from Nintendo’s first party teams and studios.
  • To accomplish this, the entire process of how Nintendo develops and produces software has gone through radical changes.
  • There is a new strategy that was put in place to create and release first party software at a faster rate.
  • Multiple unannounced Wii U projects were moved over to NX.
  • The NX could potentially see the highest output of first party software in the company’s history. (I’m talking about the entire lifespan of NX. Not just one or two years.)

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/04/20/nxs-software-output/

At the end of the day it's just another rumor, but it's for these very results that I wanted to see Nintendo's console and handheld departments combined in some way, honestly. Hope it turns out to be true, at least as long as it isn't at the sacrifice of game quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can believe the point that mentions unannounced Wii U games moving to the NX. I'm sure Nintendo had way more ideas for Wii U games that would have panned out if the system itself didn't bomb so hard

• Thumbs Up 3

So if this rumor is true, and the NX is more powerful than the PS4/Xbox One, Nintendo still isn't heavily interested in trying to get lots of 3rd party support outside maybe ports?

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

So if this rumor is true, and the NX is more powerful than the PS4/Xbox One, Nintendo still isn't heavily interested in trying to get lots of 3rd party support outside maybe ports?

I don't follow the logic here.

I can't remember the exact source, but I'm pretty sure when Ninty was giving the devkits around there was buzz about 3rd parties, at the very least, saying it was really easy to develop for. Considering how often the WiiU got turned down based on weaker and more obscure hardware, let alone consumer apathy, that's gotta mean a fair bit.

EDIT: Come to think of it, hadn't Nintendo been doing some expansions of some sort recently? They must've dropped a lotta money on it, because if I recall right that was the only year to date they'd ever posted a net loss.

4 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I don't follow the logic here.

This rumor just comes off like Nintendo is treating it like an extension of the Wii U or even GameCube in regards to software, i.e. 1st parties and maybe some 3rd exclusives and ports. And with what's been said about the power it holds, that just seems like a waste if that was the case.

@Blacklightning Ah okay, well hopefully that's the case. I can't see Nintendo making the mistake of overlooking that big of a market. 

I don't see how Nintendo making more first party software for it means they don't care about 3rd partys. With the home console and handheld sharing a library, obviously it's going to have a larger output than before.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, going by past history of the company I'm still gonna wait until I see how 3rd parties work with this. These rumors sound like how they handled the Wii U and GameCube. I'm not inclined to believe things will change, but I'm also not inclined to think they won't. these are simply rumors, so I'm not going to paint these as fact. 

I don't want to believe the first we'll hear about the NX officially is at E3, but the more that time comes closer, the more it does seem likely to happen.

I held off a year on the WiiU. I can't help but wonder whether I will for the NX as well.

I still can't believe Nintendo would wait until E3 of that year to announce a console releasing that year.

11 hours ago, Marcello said:

I don't see how Nintendo making more first party software for it means they don't care about 3rd partys. With the home console and handheld sharing a library, obviously it's going to have a larger output than before.

Assuming the home console and handheld ARE sharing a library. That's a big assumption you're making.

11 hours ago, KHCast said:

I don't understand the logic. So Nintendo wanting to support its console as much as possible with its own first-party games suddenly means they're not trying to get third-parties?

Nintendo can't FORCE third-parties to make games for their console. They HAVE to support it as much as possible by themselves, but they also need t focus on making it as easy to make games for the console as reasonably possible. If they do that, and keep up their first-party titles, Nintendo could dominate again.

Nintendo's problem with the Wii U is their biggest games took forever to produce for the console, so they had to make a lot of shovelware themselves just so the console would get something, because they had almost nothing for third-parties.

As for shifting development of Wii U games to NX... I can partially see that being true, but considering Nintendo's statements about the Wii U (they'll still support it after NX launches), I'd assume most anything "shifted" to NX is getting a dual release on both. The only things that won't would be things that shifted development early enough as such that the Wii U version barely started. If the Wii U version of a title was largely completed, though, I can't see them just abandoning the Wii U version all together.

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

Assuming the home console and handheld ARE sharing a library. That's a big assumption you're making.

It's not really a big assumption when Nintendo compared it to IOS and Android.

"Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future."

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

It's totally possible it doesn't happen, but it's hardly a big assumption. It's one of the most common speculations of the console.

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

It's not really a big assumption when Nintendo compared it to IOS and Android.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

It's totally possible it doesn't happen, but it's hardly a big assumption. It's one of the most common speculations of the console.

I'm just saying, you can't assume they'll share a library. Yes, its a very common assumption, but its certainly not a fact. Not unless Nintendo confirms it.

As for the link and quote you made, that does make a lot of sense, and I do think its likely Nintendo will go with this model in the future. That does not mean games will instantly work on any Nintendo platform, though. They still need to be able to target specific platforms, and its possible some games would only make it to one or the other assuming that kind of model is approached. Especially if it comes down to how powerful something is.

Even if the coding is supported by multiple devices Nintendo puts out, the device has to be powerful enough to run it.

Rumour has it NDA drops in two days.

Former NeoGAF poster 10K is at it again and this time he claims that the NDA for the Nintendo NX lifts next week. This will allow developers to talk about the games that they’re developing for the platform. 10K says that April 27th is the date which coincedentally falls on the investors briefing, so it could just all be a wild guess. However, he says we will know the final name of the system on Wednesday. I guess we shall just have to wait and see…

• Thumbs Up 1

The interesting thing about that rumour is how soon it can be either proven or disproven.  Most rumours are about something that's months or even a year or more ahead and will have been forgotten about by the time it's either confirmed or dismissed.

• Thumbs Up 3

NX launches March 2017.

For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally.

NX Launching Globally March 2017

For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf

Seems a bit late to me, but I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯