Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

That's what I'm anticipating as well. Two (or more) systems that run on the same architecture and you could have the same game easily work on both if well-optimized.

8 hours ago, Candescence said:

What Iwata described was the idea of having the handheld and console as 'brothers' that can, in theory, play the same games, and even directly referenced iOS and Android as examples of ecosystems with multiple devices with multiple form factors with a shared library and OS. Nintendo have been doing quite a lot of restructuring lately, with the handheld and console development divisions being merged together, and Iwata hinted that they've been able to get handheld power up to the point where making completely different assets for both types of hardware is no longer necessary. I imagine the NX devices will at least share a lot of games, with the console being higher-resolution and with more graphical effects, but fundamentally having the same games as its handheld brother. This would make it a lot easier to fill up release schedules and avoid droughts.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. Seems like a sound idea, but when you've got two platform sharing a bunch of games/assets, people are going to start questioning why they don't just make an actual hybrid console. I guess the cost would probably be prohibitive.

1 minute ago, Patticus said:

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. Seems like a sound idea, but when you've got two platform sharing a bunch of games/assets, people are going to start questioning why they don't just make an actual hybrid console.

Simple answer: Battery power. A hybrid on the level of current-gen consoles, unless it had a massive battery, would require recharging damn near constantly, which defeats the point of the handheld bit - people already raised a stink over the original 3DS and Wii U pad only having 3 hours of battery power, I think Nintendo might want to avoid that again.

Part of me is wondering if this shared architecture, OS and games business might be the future of the Gamepad design. Keep a traditional pad as the standard NX controller, slim down the Wiimote and package that in the NX box for the fitness gamers at no extra charge (or put it in the Deluxe package), make the handheld a Gamepad for anyone with both systems.

They'll need to launch both the handheld and the console within a couple of years of one another to really establish and solidify that relationship though, won't they? So, maybe we can expect the NX handheld to be shown off at E3 2017 or '18.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, I have a few last Wii-u thoughts, but I should really move that over to our actual Wii-u thread at this point, trick is to take the conversation with me. As for NX, well I could see several last wii-u games being in dual development, and I don't think it's taken all of third party support yet. Best thing would be a direct carry over of the wii-u VC though, since the upgrade from wii to wii-u was needed, since wii was very barebones, but wii-u has reached the epitome of what the download side of VC can do.

Emily Rogers: Retro isn't Working on Metroid or Donkey Kong; Possibly New I.P. Releases 2017

I wouldn't be totally surprised at them not working on Metroid or DK. Comments from E3 last year indicated Metroid wasn't in development and Tropical Freeze didn't do as well Returns sales-wise. I've never believed the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumors.

I am sort of surprised about a new I.P., though. It's nice to see Nintendo letting them do their own thing finally. I'm interested to see what it is.

3 hours ago, Patticus said:

Part of me is wondering if this shared architecture, OS and games business might be the future of the Gamepad design. Keep a traditional pad as the standard NX controller, slim down the Wiimote and package that in the NX box for the fitness gamers at no extra charge (or put it in the Deluxe package), make the handheld a Gamepad for anyone with both systems.

They'll need to launch both the handheld and the console within a couple of years of one another to really establish and solidify that relationship though, won't they? So, maybe we can expect the NX handheld to be shown off at E3 2017 or '18.

I actually really like this idea. Seems like the next step of all that stuff they were trying with off TV Play. 

Some of my best memories of the Wii U was being able to take the gamepad and play on that. Bayo 2 in particualar I had a lot of fun with playing in bed when I was sick. Something along the lines of that would be very good. 

56 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Emily Rogers: Retro isn't Working on Metroid or Donkey Kong; Possibly New I.P. Releases 2017

I wouldn't be totally surprised at them not working on Metroid or DK. Comments from E3 last year indicated Metroid wasn't in development and Tropical Freeze didn't do as well Returns sales-wise. I've never believed the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumors.

I am sort of surprised about a new I.P., though. It's nice to see Nintendo letting them do their own thing finally. I'm interested to see what it is.

TF didn't do as well, but it still did good for a Wii U title.

I highly doubt Retro would do a new IP right now. I think they could do a "new" IP that they haven't done before (another "retro" revival), but not a totally brand new IP. Sorry, I don't trust Emily Rogers. I've read some really mixed things about her past statements, but people are still up over the fact that she got lucky with Paper Mario Wii U (which, as I've heard, she'd been talking about for years, no way its been in development that long).

As for DKR2, it was never rumored that Retro was developing the game. It was rumored that Monster was developing the game, with Retro helping a tiny bit. And at the very least, we've got actual concrete evidence that Monster may be doing a racing title again.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/04/26/xenoblade-chronicles-3d-developer-monster-games-possibly-working-on-new-title/

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was having a bit of a hard time deciding where to post this, but I decided here since it pertains Nintendo's future: 

A new 2DS commercial shows off the "new" red branding and a new slogan for Nintendo:

The jingle bugs the hell out of me. There needs to be one more little sound to end it xO

I'm guessing between E3 and TGS. August is where I'm estimating.

My hope is that they'll hold a SpaceWorld event, an NX revelatory extravaganza of the most epic proportions, but rumours are spreading that TGS will be where the system will debut.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

The only really big third party in that article is Toys for Bobs, and all they do is make Skylanders. Not only that, they are contracted under Activision. They'll make Skylanders for NX obviously but there's no need for them to know yet as the NX will be out after Imaginators comes out. The other one, Ready at Dawn, primarily works for Sony platforms and the only game they've made for a Nintendo platform so far is Okami for Wii. As I've said countless times to many people before, dev kits of the NX are out there, but only to some of the biggest third parties as well as under EXTREMELY strict NDAs. Hell, maybe Toys for Bobs does know something, but due to an NDA with Activision, they obviously can't say anything.

29 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

only to some of the biggest third parties as well as under EXTREMELY strict NDAs

Which, frankly, makes it EXTREMELY unbelievable we've gotten any real NX leaks.

But yeah, this isn't anything special of note. An NX port shouldn't be too difficult and by the time the NX is announced later this year there should be enough time to make the NX port of Imaginators. As for the rest, some people are overreacting to the news. Its nothing special of note. Not every third-party is going to know what the NX is.

10 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

The biggest problem with all these articles is that they're implying nobody knows what the NX is. That's BLATANTLY false. Many third-parties have been talking about the NX and how they're planning versions of their games for it. SOME third-parties don't know what it is. But the assumption that no one knows what it is because a few don't is ridiculously stupid. The ones that do know what it is can't talk about it until Nintendo officially shows it off.

I love how critics are screaming stuff like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto being a must first and foremost when mentioning Nintendo and third parties, like we really need that SH@T on Nintendo too.

22 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I love how critics are screaming stuff like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto being a must first and foremost when mentioning Nintendo and third parties, like we really need that SH@T on Nintendo too.

We really do, if you want the console to be taken seriously and for it to do well.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

We really do, if you want the console to be taken seriously and for it to do well.

Only if it means there's absolutely ZERO influence on the other genre's/franchises on Nintendo consoles.

If it means Nintendo gets watered down to only two or three genres like Sony and Microsoft for the most part, save for cheap indies, f@ck that.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

Only if it means there's absolutely ZERO influence on the other genre's/franchises on Nintendo consoles.

If it means Nintendo gets watered down to only two or three genres like Sony and Microsoft for the most part, save for cheap indies, f@ck that.

Those games have nothing to do with Nintendo's output. Or Sony's and Microsoft's for that matter, really. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Those games have nothing to do with Nintendo's output. Or Sony's and Microsoft's for that matter, really. 

Tell that to Sony and Microsoft then. I see racers, shooters... And the only time another genre pops up is when indies take the reigns with cheap titles.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Tell that to Sony and Microsoft then. I see racers, shooters... And the only time another genre pops up is when indies take the reigns with cheap titles.

Street_Fighter_V_box_artwork.png

Ratchet_and_Clank_cover.jpg

Bloodborne_Cover_Wallpaper.jpg

cover_large.jpg

Infamous_second_son_boxart.jpg

All of these are recent major releases. None of these fall under the genres you're talking about. This is just for playstation, too. I could dig up even more examples for Xbox if you want.

The reason you don't see any variety is because you're not even bothering to give the other consoles a look. Probably no interest in them to begin with, so I don't see why you're talking about them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Street_Fighter_V_box_artwork.png

Ratchet_and_Clank_cover.jpg

Bloodborne_Cover_Wallpaper.jpg

cover_large.jpg

Infamous_second_son_boxart.jpg

All of these are recent major releases. None of these fall under the genres you're talking about. This is just for playstation, too. I could dig up even more examples for Xbox if you want.

The reason you don't see any variety is because you're not even bothering to give the other consoles a look. Probably no interest in them to begin with, so I don't see why you're talking about them.

Okay then... Tell me, how often do the OTHER genres asides what I said get a release? From a major/first party publisher I mean.

How many games can you list...? Mmm?

Yeah, not many. Other genres are handled by indies primarily, and I've no interest in low budget games as much as some. And two of those games you showed are focused heavily on violence/gore/killing, basically fitting the shooting genre as well. No thanks, not on Nintendo.

12 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Worrying glitch. 

So you are willing to rebuke some of the best games in recent memory because they apparently didn't cost an arbitrary amount of money. And yet you are simultaneously against the over-expensive AAA industry under the guise that the games that most represent that industry will negatively influence Nintendo's in-house output. What the hell are you even arguing????

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Okay then... Tell me, how often do the OTHER genres asides what I said get a release? From a major/first party publisher I mean.

How many games can you list...? Mmm?

I just listed some. Do you want MORE examples? Hard data on how often they release? I'm confused