Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

Indeed, Mass Effect and Batman games showed up on the Wii U.

Nintendo isn't 'sticking it to the market' with their cutesy, kid friendly IP and occasional ports  - rather, the reason the vast majority of Wii U releases are Nintendo games is because no-one wants to develop for the Wiii U. It represents lost sales on a dead console. Why have we only just got Minecraft for the WII U in 2016, despite the fact the systems been out for four years and  everyone thinks it's a great game for it with the gamepad potential? Because it's an afterthought, they aren't going to make huge money on it so it's not a priority. The Wii would have been a different story - the huge install base for that would have incentivised Mojang/Microsoft to publish for it. 

That is the sad reality of the WII U right now, they had to wait four years for Minecraft, and everyone else passes them by. The Wii U didn't even get the last gen only Assassins Creed, let alone Unity or Syndicate. 

This hurts the Wii U, because people like me won't buy it if they can't play the latest games on it. If I'm throwing down a few hundred quid on a console, I expect to get everything that isn't an exclusive on it. I've said it before in this thread, but if the NX can keep up with the current gen and have third party support like the Gamecube did, I'd happily pay full price for it and actually be able to enjoy first party Nintendo titles for the first time since the N64 - I can't justify two consoles just because of two or three games.

20 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Sorry, Nepenthe but if Yooka-Laylee has any sort of Take Thats to Microsoft, it's unintentional. Playtonic stated in a Reddit AMA last year that all decisions made after the buyout were by Rare's management. Microsoft just went with it. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/38dtd9/were_playtonic_exrare_devs_behind_banjokazooie/

Yooka-Laylee's story itself basically alludes to negative feelings regarding the Microsoft buyout:

The ingenious tech firm Quack Corp had been subject to a hostile swoop by diabolical publishing corporation in Hivory Towers. Together they were about to launch their most devious scheme yet, all under the leadership of cunning buzzness executive Capital B!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Sorry, Nepenthe but if Yooka-Laylee has any sort of Take Thats to Microsoft, it's unintentional. Playtonic stated in a Reddit AMA last year that all decisions made after the buyout were by Rare's management. Microsoft just went with it. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/38dtd9/were_playtonic_exrare_devs_behind_banjokazooie/

Microsoft still bought Rare to begin with and a lot of people in Rare weren't happy about it, even if Rare's management was. And yeah, the entire plot around Yookah-Laylee is ENTIRELY spoofed from Microsoft taking over Rare.

Also, you mention something about Rare's management deciding on Rare's new direction. One of the antagonists of Yookah-Laylee is the owner of the previous company who goes along with Hivory Tower's plans, while said character's assistant leaves the company. And the antagonist is named Capital B, clearly inspired by either Bill Gates or Brad Smith (or both).

It's a real shame that Rare has lost its autonomy under Microsoft. At least when they were with Nintendo, despite the long waits for games, you still got a classic more often than not. Now we have long waits and no games.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

A Ubisoft developer has allegedly dropped a minor hint as to what the NX could be about. Keep in mind, this isn't a whole lot to go on. https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/15/ubisoft-says-nintendo-nx-will-recapture-wii-players-nintendo-addressing-family-market/

ehh, LOZ BOTW looks to be the opposite of that, and so far all Ubi's announced is shovel ware(Just Dance NX) I'm waiting for the actual reveal

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't call Just Dance "shovelware". Shovelware doesn't generally have icons like Mario or Hatsune Miku in them. :V

ANYWAYS the only thing I really want from NX is a PS4Share kinda deal. I'd love to stream Nintendo games.

• Thumbs Up 1

During an interview, Reggie spoke up a little bit about the NX, stating that, to them, a system is not about specs, but the content. 

Well, specs never won a console war. 

What's important is that its on par with the current systems, so 3rd party can develop in confidence for it. 

That, and at this point it seems Xbox is a few years out from becoming less of a console line and more of a software brand. Heck starting this year you can play all forthcoming exclusive Xbone games on Windows10, and it'd probably be a better investment and easier to future proof. So Nintendo ontinuing to focus on it's own stuff and teaming up with others to bring unique experiences and family entertainment, while Xbox has been moving away from us. Which would leave us with Playstation and Nintendo which would bring two very  different but not nessecarily bad experiences.

I think it more likely Microsoft are moving away from Xbox as just a gaming machine.
I remember something that said Windows 10 would be the last operating system in the series, and it would become a service. Well, what if it's a service to an Xbox OS? Going the same way as Steam? Wild theory, but it could happen considering how close the two are nowadays.

That would, of course, still leave only Nintendo and Sony in the dedicated console space.

5 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

During an interview, Reggie spoke up a little bit about the NX, stating that, to them, a system is not about specs, but the content. 

Before anyone jumps on the "Nintendoomed" ride to hell like always, think about what he's saying. 

Project Scorpio & PS4 NEO are intended for more "hardcore" audiences who want games to run at 4K resolution and have no performance issues running VR games. Xbox themselves has even come out to saying that Scorpio will not have any exclusive games, and instead will have a first and third party library that's shared with all consoles in the Xbox One line.

When he says "for us it's not about specs", he doesn't mean that power-matching the standard for a generation is not important (that'd make no sense considering what they learned from Wii U); rather that he means that they're not looking to be top-of-the-line and go the extra mile to be the most powerful. NX is almost obviously going to meet the power level of the PS4 and Xbone since that's the level that everyone else is on for this gen, but it's not actively seeking to compete against Scorpio or NEO.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's not that hard to not only make a decent console spec wise in 2017 at this point, but something at the very least as powerful as the PS4 with a good price range. People are worrying about this statement but it won't really mean much.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld

OH COME THE FUCK ON

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, why is everyone treating this rumor as basically confirmed? That's the irksome part for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

OH COME THE FUCK ON

Frankly if its a handheld I don't see the problem at all. However, I just can't buy the notion of it being a handheld. Not with Zelda BotW being on it.

If they can make a handheld that can play BotW decently, we shouldn't be complaining, fuck that shit, that's AMAZING. That's revolutionary for a handheld device.

1 hour ago, Candescence said:

Okay, why is everyone treating this rumor as basically confirmed? That's the irksome part for me.

This really pisses me off. There is NOTHING about this that indicates it is at all confirmed. For all we know this device is the rumored handheld "component" and not the actual NX itself (IF its actually real).

We have no reason to believe this over the hundreds of other rumors.

Let's also not forget that having a handheld that connects to the TV is basically the Wii U (without the main console). Why then would they need to remove GamePad support on BotW so it can be cross-released with NX?

None of this makes sense and there's no reason ANYONE should be taking this seriously.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Let's also not forget that having a handheld that connects to the TV is basically the Wii U (without the main console). Why then would they need to remove GamePad support on BotW so it can be cross-released with NX?

None of this makes sense and there's no reason ANYONE should be taking this seriously.

Didn't they remove gamepad support because it wasn't actually helping the game all that much(shocker) and they wanted to use the processing power on other things that actually would?

Yeah, while there are some interesting ideas here, but there' is nothing really showing they are any less in the dark than we are. That and there could be a concentrated misinformation effort in all this... We really need that reveal, and odds are it'll be in the next two months

I understand the appeal and merit to a console-handheld hybrid, but at the expense of horsepower I'm not sure it's worth it at the moment. Unless there's some serious truth to the "supplemental computing device" rumor, I don't see this thing being any more powerful than a Wii U and a half. 

I'm sure the games will be fun, but I'm disappointed with the power drop. The price had better reflect this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I understand the appeal and merit to a console-handheld hybrid, but at the expense of horsepower I'm not sure it's worth it at the moment. Unless there's some serious truth to the "supplemental computing device" rumor, I don't see this thing being any more powerful than a Wii U and a half. 

I'm sure the games will be fun, but I'm disappointed with the power drop. The price had better reflect this. 

This isn't a console-handheld hybrid, though. Its just a pure handheld. I don't know why people keep saying hybrid, nothing about this is a hybrid. Hell, its hardly even a portable given the description, its a Nintendo-branded tablet. And tablets and phones can ALREADY be played on a TV anyway. There's nothing special about this.

The only thing that WOULD make it special is if its a very high-powered tablet (more powerful than the Wii U at least). That would admittedly be impressive. But its not likely to be the case and even if it was, it wouldn't be all that viable on the go anyway.

55 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Frankly if its a handheld I don't see the problem at all. However, I just can't buy the notion of it being a handheld. Not with Zelda BotW being on it.

If they can make a handheld that can play BotW decently, we shouldn't be complaining, fuck that shit, that's AMAZING. That's revolutionary for a handheld device.

This really pisses me off. There is NOTHING about this that indicates it is at all confirmed. For all we know this device is the rumored handheld "component" and not the actual NX itself (IF its actually real).

We have no reason to believe this over the hundreds of other rumors.

Is there a reason why you get so angry whenever a rumor is brought up? While I agree it people should take it with a grain of salt, I don't see any reason to get so ticked off about it. There's not much else to talk about regarding the console.

Personally, I'd prefer just a normal console, without any crazy gimmicks, but who knows. Gamepad is pretty useful for non-game purposes anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

lol wow semantics much? Didn't know that word bothered you. 

The NX is a chimera. How about that? 

• Thumbs Up 5