Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Dangit, Nintendo, reveal the stupid system already. Us poor people need time to start saving our funds for it, so we need to know whether we'll be buying it day-1 or not.

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course I will.

Well, the good news is, Nintendo has pretty much confirmed a March 2017 date, and the system will very likely be priced at $200-$400, so you can start saving up now.

44 minutes ago, Candescence said:

Well, the good news is, Nintendo has pretty much confirmed a March 2017 date, and the system will very likely be priced at $200-$400, so you can start saving up now.

That's pretty much the safe bet.

Honestly, whether or not I buy the NX pretty much hinges on whatever titles they're going to have on launch. There was just this lack of games that really "wowed" me with the Wii U, and I still really couldn't care about anything on it.

Who knows. Maybe we'll get another Metroid.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

That's pretty much the safe bet.

Honestly, whether or not I buy the NX pretty much hinges on whatever titles they're going to have on launch. There was just this lack of games that really "wowed" me with the Wii U, and I still really couldn't care about anything on it.

Who knows. Maybe we'll get another Metroid.

Well, at the very least, it's quite blatant that Nintendo has shifted nearly all of its development resources to the NX alongside consolidating both its handheld and console divisions into one, with the apparent implication that the NX will essentially have double the software.

Nintendo probably has identified the fact that while they can get some third parties on board (mainly Japanese pubs and indies), most western pubs aren't gonna have them the time of day unless they make hardware that sells and typically don't touch handheld systems, so the intended solution is to make third party support unnecessary by putting out so much content that the NX library/lineup looks appealing in its own right, and it has the added benefit of standing out from the PS4/Xbone, which are basically PCs masquerading as consoles, the Xbone especially, these days - with the theoretical output of Nintendo's software divisions all focusing on a single device, software that you can't play on anything else, suddenly the NX stands out a lot more and becomes more appealing. I mean, fucking hell, Pokemon alone on this thing would drive sales like crazy, let alone sequels to hits like Splatoon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo used this chance to diversify the software output further - Splatoon was an extremely and family-friendly fresh take on shooters that sold gangbusters, especially in Japan, a country that typically ignores shooters, so they might be inspired to delve into other western-dominated genres and put their own spin on them.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Flamerstreak said:

Yo guys.

What do you make of this?

Well if you read the tweet right before, this seems to be talking about a Yokai Watch event.

As if that's what everyone wants to hear about.

Just now, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Well if you read the tweet right before, this seems to be talking about a Yokai Watch event.

As if that's what everyone wants to hear about.

Oh, my bad. Read this off of someone who also didn't read the Yokai Watch thing. But, seeing what you said by "seems", it could still be anything, really.

Though someone else said...

"The private event ends at 1. The Yokai Watch starts at 1. They're two different events."

17 minutes ago, Flamerstreak said:

Oh, my bad. Read this off of someone who also didn't read the Yokai Watch thing. But, seeing what you said by "seems", it could still be anything, really.

Though someone else said...

"The private event ends at 1. The Yokai Watch starts at 1. They're two different events."

Not your fault, dude. No biggie.

Anyways, that's somewhat promising. In that case, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong. It's seriously about time for the NX reveal.

That seems like a decent time to reveal the NX. There's only 6 more months left before the NX's estimated release date, so they might as well show it off now. 

Still, I won't keep my expectations too high, just in case.

2 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I think it'll be this month. 

30 days from now this statment will be repeated 

1 hour ago, Tails spin said:

30 days from now this statment will be repeated 

Well, some Wall Street Journalists were informed by some analysts that we should expect a reveal in early October, that is, if you want to believe that.

1 hour ago, Flamerstreak said:

Well, some Wall Street Journalists were informed by some analysts that we should expect a reveal in early October, that is, if you want to believe that.

At this point I've heard so much horse poo that I just am completely tited of it.

24 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

At this point I've heard so much horse poo that I just am completely tited of it.

You mean tired?

Anyway, they've gotta reveal the NX sometime soon, I mean, they can't keep us in the dark forever, can they?

1 hour ago, Flamerstreak said:

Anyway, they've gotta reveal the NX sometime soon, I mean, they can't keep us in the dark forever, can they?

If they delay its release, they can keep us in the dark indefinitely. I don't think they would do that at this stage, though, given that the company was confident enough not so long ago to announce not just the release year (2017), but also the 31-day period (March) within that year wherein the system would launch.

That the company is still playing coy probably means that it thinks it's got a super-groundbreaking new feature of some kind, or it's waiting for elements of the launch line-up to achieve a certain show-level quality.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Patticus said:

If they delay its release, they can keep us in the dark indefinitely. I don't think they would do that at this stage, though, given that the company was confident enough not so long ago to announce not just the release year (2017), but also the 31-day period (March) within that year wherein the system would launch.

That the company is still playing coy probably means that it thinks it's got a super-groundbreaking new feature of some kind, or it's waiting for elements of the launch line-up to achieve a certain show-level quality.

That makes sense. I understand. I just hope they show it off soon, though they wouldn't reveal it in 2017 instead of 2016, would they? Hopefully, when they reveal the NX, it will deliver.

I am personally hoping they reveal it this week, as the analysts have said it would likely be revealed in early October. But I know even they can be wrong, still.

1 minute ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Since it's rumored to be NX-exclusive I might as well post this. Another BG&E2 teaser. 

How awesome would it be to find out that this guy is voiced by Ziggy Marley?

Alright, it's been a while since I poked my head in here, so I may be very, very late on this, but still... This is the mock up that is supposedly 'surprising close' to the look of the actual NX controller:

2a3434376e23ddd71c27e0e0d9299759.jpg

It has the look of a refined gamepad, presumably with a good deal more going on inside to allow for portable play. One could say that it's what a modern take on the Gameboy Advance might look like. I could get on-board with it, if my hands won't suffer for it!

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Patticus said:

the look of the actual NX controller:

Eh? When was that ever revealed yet?

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Eh? When was that ever revealed yet?

Well, I would think that someone made a mock-up of what the NX controller might look like, and someone in the know saw it and said that it's pretty close to what they've seen. Nothing official has been announced or leaked to our knowledge.

5 hours ago, Patticus said:

Alright, it's been a while since I poked my head in here, so I may be very, very late on this, but still... This is the mock up that is supposedly 'surprising close' to the look of the actual NX controller:

2a3434376e23ddd71c27e0e0d9299759.jpg

It has the look of a refined gamepad, presumably with a good deal more going on inside to allow for portable play. One could say that it's what a modern take on the Gameboy Advance might look like. I could get on-board with it, if my hands won't suffer for it!

Honestly, there are only two things I'd be off with if this turns out to be relatively true. 1: The analog stick placement is still going to be pretty awkward (like seriously, just switch the buttons and stick on the right and it's be perfect) and 2: ... this isn't a console. It's a handheld.  Honestly, I'd be absolutely fine with a new handheld right now but this isn't particularly what Nintendo needs in the slightest with the 3DS still doing well.

Again, I know Nintendo's last goal here is to compete with Sony or anything but I'm going to get old-fashioned here. I miss being able to plug in Nintendo's next new box into my tv and sitting steady with a big, new Nintendo title. If this turns out to be close to the actual thing, I just don't feel like I'd get that feeling at all. It would probably be a kick-ass handheld, but not a good console. Though, with all these rumors floating around I guess I should really temper my expectations a bit more at this point...