Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

1 hour ago, Tails spin said:

I totally see where you are coming from. 

I was sour when the wii u was announced and i took a break from home consoles with only dedicating myself to my 3DS. That being said I am extremely excited for this. It felt like a fresh of breath air.

A "fresh of breath air" eh? It must have really done a number on you then. ^^

It may also be that I'm not much for handhelds either so it being portable means nothing to me. For me, gaming is something I prefer doing at home.

24 minutes ago, CuzEyeCan said:

So, with the possible lack of an touch screen (since no touch screen functionality was shown in the preview), does that mean Super Mario Maker isn't gonna get an NX port?

Doesn't Breath of the Wild require touch controls?

A thing want to point out with the third party list:
DeNA is on it, you know, the company that collaborates with Nintendo on mobile?
Maybe the mobile game on this thing rumor is true.

Or maybe My Nintendo will finally work on a actual Nintendo console besides getting gold coins.

Stuff like that is never really a big deal to me because we're gonna have to wait for the system, games, whatever either way. Hearing too much too soon will just get me excited and anxious lol

• Thumbs Up 1

In a more positive note 2017 used to be further away before than now, lol. Makes me think the devs at Nintendo really want to push their games even further before showing them to public again.

Still glad the NX mystery's out of the way.

Edited by Mystwalker

Very excited for Switch. It is funny I had an idea of that kind of gaming system one day, not exactly similar but techically very close to Switch. I'm not done with my N3DS yet, have tons of stuff to play on it. I hope new games will be made for it for a while at least, I don't want it to be buried so soon.

Weeeeeeelp. I bet some people are gonna be veeeery fickle about this.

Weeeeeeelp. I bet some people are gonna be veeeery ficklleave about this. 

If this is supposed to be an type of Handheld-Hybrid, then there's no excuse why an mainline, Pokemon game shouldn't come to the thing. 

I think its a terrible thing. Firstly goodbye to those old games of yours Secondly backwards compatibility forget about it (might as well get a PS4) Probably very limited hard drive space for that game library you need to repurchase Plus: its a glorified tablet. Sorry Nintendo Nvidia shield has you beat.

4 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Plus: its a glorified tablet. Sorry Nintendo Nvidia shield has you beat.

The core console is a gaming tablet, which is fine. It's supposed to be a gaming tablet that is strong enough to play as a home console as well.

But there is no reason to believe the Nvidia Shield has the Nintendo Switch beat. According to https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/ there are new Nvidia technologies being integrated into the Nintendo Switch to make it a truly powerful gaming tablet.  It's not like home consoles are that strong in the first place, so I don't see why an advanced gaming tablet can't compete with home consoles. 

1 hour ago, BlueFlare said:

I would want this to have support for GBA games, like WiiU Virtual Console has GBA titles. Pls! B)

It'll have VC for sure.

For me, the more important question is whether or not my purchases will be carried forward.

8 hours ago, Zippo said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789289178684981248

And there's the kicker.

I'm very excited for the system, but this is super disappointing.

I guess they really don't want to put a damper on the possible sales they could get on 3DS and Sun and Moon. There's also whatever little they have left with Color Splash on Wii U. I can't say it's not disappointing though, because it really freakin' is. I just hope they open pre-order before next year, because that's going to be a right pain in the ass otherwise.

5 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

I think its a terrible thing. Firstly goodbye to those old games of yours Secondly backwards compatibility forget about it (might as well get a PS4) Probably very limited hard drive space for that game library you need to repurchase Plus: its a glorified tablet. Sorry Nintendo Nvidia shield has you beat.

The Switch uses upgraded technology utilized in Nvidia Shield. The shield, though a novel concept, was an absolute failure. Nvidia really needed something like this to help push their line of powerful but energy efficient mobile chipsets.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

• Thumbs Up 1

I dig it. I also like how Nintendo announced it the way it had to be. After the months of mixed messages in regards to the Wii U they had to nail the first impression for this one, and they did it in three minutes without confusing the message. We know what the console is. We know what it does. We know who it's aimed at. The only questions that remain are "how" and "what games will we see on it". The former isn't something that needs answering in a formal capacity, and the latter is something we have a fairly vague idea of based on third party relations and footage shown.

Main issue with Wii U's reveal aside from the idea itself not being as enticing is they just crammed too many details into it's initial reveal, which ended up being saddled with way too many questions they couldn't satiate even over the course of a year and a half. People didn't even know if it was a console. This on the other hand, being summed up in three minutes, and being five months away from release, already has a laser-pointed effort. If they keep this up, they'll be gold. No matter what you think of the console itself it's hard to see this in any way, shape or form as a bad initial reveal.

Oh and I like how the video is already bordering 10 million views and had some insane trending on social media. Who's the person that said you need a live conference in order to kick off a reveal with a bang? Can't believe Nintendo of all people managed to make people forget that RDR2 was a thing that was announced yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 8

People have already been giving their opnions on the Switch on YouTube with the most positive coming from The Nerdist and JWitz, and the most negative being from a completely PS4-biased ETC News.  Now I just need to know how Rhett and Link will react to this given that they have also started doing LPs on GMM

Almost 10 million views in less than 24 hours. Was the #1 trend on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Reddit all day yesterday. Say what you will about this company, but no one creates buzz like Nintendo.

_20161021_080117.JPG

Well, I guess I'll throw in my two cents for the impressions bin.

For me, I was always sold on the console/handheld hybrid gimmick. Loved the Wii U and Gamepad regardless of the flaws, love both markets and Nintendo's output, but I never did like how it split up their resources between two machines. As a console, I'd immediately love it for the sheer versatility it might offer, but first and foremost I was hooked on the idea of a singular, focused Nintendo library for once. Constant stream of games by default, a set graphical bar they must adhere to for everything, improved IP diversity, better sales, more possibilities... The list goes on. So given the rumors, I felt like I was going to love it right off the bat.

But as the rumors went along, and all these external power, multiple versions/bundles and add on controllers were all becoming possibilities, all I could think of was how downright clunky this could all end up being. Portable power sources to bring with you to boost game power? Dedicated handheld versions? Oof. This could all end up being a mess and Nintendo wouldn't even notice, if the Wii U was anything to go by. I love the console, but that doesn't mean I can't see why everybody else didn't.

And when the trailer dropped, a lot of that dread didn't go away. Especially what with how much they were pushing the new controllers all of a sudden and making things even more complicated. Absolutely loved the new aesthetic they're going for with the console (MATTE CONTROLLERS!!!! YYYYYEEEEEEEEE-) and what it all might all do for me, specifically, but it really didn't convince me at first glance.

As the day went by, though, and I started reflecting on it... This might be the best possible approach Nintendo could have taken with this console altogether, at least from a streamlined standpoint. And I gotta say, I'm impressed.

Power was obviously a huge issue, as one mode could get by on passable graphics while the other needs to look good against it's competition, so obviously multiple versions or power add ons would really complicate everything, from marketing to game development. But with the alleged way the Switch is handling it, it merely underclocks and downgrades itself through simply detecting when it's away from the port. That means, the docked mode of the console can go all out with fans roaring, and no screen to worry about screen usage or internal heat, while the portable mode can last longer and be a more comfortable experience, all on the same hardware. No high-tech power stations to sell people on, or a more costly superior version to get mixed up in the mess of things, because it's just one device, and a plastic TV port.

And the marketing, while kiiiinda a lie, is very smart, as making people first and foremost think that this is a home console, is pretty good damage control for the possible "Well then what is it???" Phase, that Nintendo products so easily fall victim to with confusing terminology and marketing. I mean, just look at the Wii U's introduction video on how not to reveal or market a console. Being a hybrid will always have the "So why am I buying this if it's just a handheld holding me back?/a console bulking up my space?" crowd hounding it, possibly, but at least this kind of advertising will clear up a lot of questions a casual core gamer would have, and possibly influence them to see the good in it from a console standpoint, rather than the bad from a handheld standpoint, given the stigma the latter has.

And lastly, the controller method. Now this they could have soooo easily messed up, as there's so many factors to it all. What does the controller gimmick do for me? Why isn't it an accessory? If it is, why should it be considered a console selling point? Why should I buy accessories I won't even use? Why do I have to buy accessories to play one game that uses them? Why should the developers cater towards them when they're accessories? Why should they cater to them when they're not accessories? Does the controller innovate only in an ideal game, on paper, or by just existing?

The list goes on and on. Now correct me if I'm wrong, as I know it can be a pretty big list, but I think, with how Nintendo has advertised and integrated these new controllers, they've answered every, single, one you can think of. What the gimmick does, why people should put up with it, why it's a selling point and innovative, why it should be considered an equal or worthwhile alternative to the standard, etc. etc. And that, is a very impressive move for a mere 3 minute trailer for it all. And from Nintendo, of all people!

This has probably become my stealth most hyped part of the console so far over the course of the day though, tbh, and it all comes down to one simple reason: it has the potential to utterly revitalize the local multiplayer element of games once more. I mean could you imagine a game like Smash Bros on this thing? (Hasn't been announced yet, but you know it's happening :Y) Just imagine going over to visit a friend, meeting one at a party, or somewhere while traveling, and being able to just whip out the Switch with Smash Bros loaded up, and play 1 vs 1's with them anytime, all without the need of any additional hardware? That is a dream in heaven even for console scenarios when you play games on your own most of the time, and this is a bloody handheld. Portable. No hassle. Essentially covering two devices worth of gameplay. Maybe it's just me, but that is just crazy to think about.

And the marketing overall, I gotta commend Nintendo for making it incredibly easy to understand from a general consumer mindset, and for it actually being able to "click" with me immediately. The choreography of scenes, the sound design, the selling points behind it all... It just seems really on point, just like the Switch itself, and makes something that still might seem somewhat of a mess, look all the more understandable and streamlined. I mean just compare how they handled the Wii U reveal to now:

It's like night and day in comparison.

So yeah, overall, kudos, Nintendo. Can't speak for everyone, but I personally think you absolutely nailed this reveal. Keep it up, and you may have a success on your hands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my overall thoughts on the console, personally, I'm hyped either way for it, but power still is a concern for me. I don't think it'll ever look as bad as what was edited into the video, but if it's not at least somewhat in the ballpark of PS4/XO, I'm gonna be very worried for the third party support in terms of big names; but on the other hand, and on a much more personal basis, if the portable mode has too much taken away from it for the sake of lifetime and heat, that'd be just disappointing, as I hope to use it as a portable the most often. And the two issues are inversely related, so :\ Hopefully they find a good middle ground...

The only other gripe I have with it, is that it doesn't seem to have any sort of motion control, at least as far as we can tell. May sound like heresy, especially with how much people have been clamoring for traditional, gimmickless controllers for forever, (nearly there!) but can you imagine playing Splatoon without Gyro controls? Some things were good about those gimmicks, people...

Other that I am thoroughly excited for this system. Not only does the hardware look amazing (MATTE CONTROLLERS YYEEEEEE-) and all the gimmicks look great for what they are, but Nintendo has been building up a backlog of unreleased games that just have to be finished by now, and will likely be fantastic. Add in the third party people on board for now, the buffed up Wii U ports, and the all new focus on one single console, and I'm sure the January direct will be full of more new games than their E3 typically has.

Also, am I the only one hoping for some form of street pass and the Mii Plaza to come back for this?

Without microtransactions, at least...

• Thumbs Up 1

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/ 

NeoGAF are going crazy with a claim that the handheld will last for 3 hours max on the go. While the person who posted this has been reliable people need to remember nothing concrete will be shown until its straight from Nintendo's mouth. Also the fact that these are allegedly based on the life of Devkits, not the final piece of hardware consumers will get. 

I expect a battery in between 3-5 hours like the OG 3DS. TBH with the power of this thing plus that I don't play handheld games for extensive periods of time, this wouldn't bother me.

Edit: Just saw this regarding Nintendo's stance on battery life via the famitsu interview:

" battery wise, Nintendo confirmed that it was designed so that users could play as long as possible, “comfortably”, even in places where you don’t have access to a power outlet"

Until then we just need to wait and see what happens next year 

• Thumbs Up 2

Man, 3 hours is shit. I wish battery life would improve more... I want DS Lite battery life again.

Hopefully this thing is micro USB so you can use charge banks.

• Thumbs Up 4

This thing was never going to have an optimal battery life while not costing a fortune. 3-5 hours is the estimation you look at with competing hardware whenever you're using it at max capacity, and the Switch is, well, dedicated gaming hardware. It's not good but this element to it was somewhat inevitable and it's essentially having to deal with reality.

Having said that i imagine it'll be mitigated with third party or even first party battery pack replacements and hopefully portable chargers. If Nintendo don't have one of those they'd be committing a major blunder.

• Thumbs Up 5