Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

2 minutes ago, Remy said:

I thought that was a great presentation personally, a lot of interesting games you aren't going to play anywhere else.

The translator/interpreter was awful and the presentation was weirdly paced. I thought it was awful but the Zelda trailer was a good note to end on. Game looks outstanding. Bad presentation overall. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Good games, bad presentation. They're gonna need to bring out big contenders for new games in the next month and a half if they want this thing to do well.

Man, both Sega and Nendo messing up this stuff recently.

...well I'll be damned, they ended up showing off motion controls after all. I'm a little bitter about paid online and lack of Smash, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

8 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Good games, bad presentation. They're gonna need to bring out big contenders for new games in the next month and a half if they want this thing to do well.

Man, both Sega and Nendo messing up this stuff recently.

You don't think there were contenders in that presentation? it already looked better than year one for both the PS4 and XBone 

• Thumbs Up 2

1,2 Switch looks like a good family game.

ARMS is really good so far.

Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyseey seems to be very hype.

And Zelda at launch. That trailer was amazing.

I decided to watch the presentation, on the off chance that Project Sonic 2017 might make an appearance. Which did technically happen, although it appeared to just be clips from the reveal trailer clumped together during a montage of other games.

Speaking of games, not really much in the way of third-party support to speak of. Many publishers such as Sega and EA appeared on stage but didn’t offer anything more than vague and non-comital assurances that they are interested in the Switch. I mean, this was pretty embarrassing for Nintendo, aside from Skyrim they couldn't even scrounge up a few ports to bulk-out the presentation.

I expect that the Switch will suffer from the same drought of games post-launch that has plagued every Nintendo console for over a decade now.

Yeah, there were definitely some great games showcased, but it still looks like there's really nothing to get excited about at launch besides Zelda. And while the trainer was fantastic, I'm not a particularly huge Zelda fan. What am I supposed to play on this thing when it launches?

Speaking of, list of launch titles? Anywhere?

2 minutes ago, Kintor said:

I decided to watch the presentation, on the off chance that Project Sonic 2017 might make an appearance. Which did technically happen, although it appeared to just be clips from the reveal trailer clumped together during a montage of other games.

Speaking of games, not really much in the way of third-party support to speak of. Many publishers such as Sega and EA appeared on stage but didn’t offer anything more than vague and non-comital assurances that they are interested in the Switch. I mean, this was pretty embarrassing for Nintendo, aside from Skyrim they couldn't even scrounge up a few ports to bulk-out the presentation.

I expect that the Switch will suffer from the same drought of games post-launch that has plagued every Nintendo console for over a decade now.

The montage video around MK8 had quite a few interesting ports, with games like Disgaea 5 and I guess a super bomberman 3d remake showing up.

That was a fucking great show. Mario Odessey freaking blew my mind. Zelda looks fantastic. Splatoon is going to be a blast. Arms looks like another fucking great new IP. Bomberman is back! Xenoblade? Fire Emblem Warriors? Dragon Ball? I'm all in.

Pros:

Super Mario Odyssey looks great

ARMS seems very interesting

Unreal 4 Support Confirmed

Sizzle Reel included some interesting titles (Bomberman, Street Fighter 2 HD, Puyo Puyo, and Rayman Legends)

Ports

DRY BONES MAKES HIS RETURN IN MARIO KART SWITCH AWWWW YEAAAAHHHH BAABBBBBYYYYYYYY

Cons:

Low Battery life (2 1/2 hours at max settings) (maybe 6 hours for low settings )

Paying for Online... and did I hear this right? Did they say no Online Support until the Fall?

Graphics look a litle bit rough

Translator seemed very nervous during Suda 51's apperance

IMO 299.99 isn't a bad price but not the best

All in all, it was a very solid conference. Can't wait to see what comes tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Remy said:

The montage video around MK8 had quite a few interesting ports, with games like Disgaea 5 and I guess a super bomberman 3d remake showing up.

That's certainly true but Nintendo never took the time to showcase these games on stages. Nintendo clearly needed more content during the presentation but instead they crammed together most of their third-party support (ports or not) into a single montage. It's really just wasteful.

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

That's certainly true but Nintendo never took the time to showcase these games on stages. Nintendo clearly needed more content during the presentation but instead they crammed together most of their third-party support (ports or not) into a single montage. It's really just wasteful.

I think it would have been a waste of everyone's time doing stage demos of ports in a 1 hour presentation. They focusedd on their strongest aspect, their original first party software you can't get anywhere else, with Zelda, Mario, the fantastic looking Xenoblade 2 + Splatoon 

• Thumbs Up 5

>single joycon is 50 fucking dollars

>joycon pack is $80

>pro controller is $70

Half a goddamn controller for 50 bones, I'm not made of money Nintendo jesus fucking goddamn christ, fuck off.

• Thumbs Up 5

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

So you get access to online play however unlike PS+ and Games with gold.

Nintendos free games are classic titles. SNES games get added online play. 

And you have to pay for them after 1 month.

EDIT: correction. Either a Nes or a SNES game. Not one and the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a Mario Kart Deluxe trailer because they didn't give it any attention in the presentation.

April 2017, because a game that has already been done for 3 years can't be a launch title, I guess.

Still, not disappointed in the presentation. It just would've been better had they not spoiled all the games in the first teaser :p.

1 minute ago, Remy said:

I think it would have been a waste of everyone's time doing stage demos of ports in a 1 hour presentation. They focusedd on their strongest aspect, their original first party software you can't get anywhere else, with Zelda, Mario, the fantastic looking Xenoblade 2 + Splatoon 

Skyrim got a short video and it's just a port. They should have at least acknowledged what few games the Switch actually has; Disgaea and Bomberman weren't even mentioned by name. Because a lack of third-party support has been Nintendo's biggest weakness since the Nintendo 64, they needed to show that the Switch would be different. So far there's no reason to believe that the Switch will get any better third-party support then the WiiU.

1 minute ago, Person said:

Here's a Mario Kart Deluxe trailer because they didn't give it any attention in the presentation.

April 2017, because a game that has already been done for 3 years can't be a launch title, I guess.

Still, not disappointed in the presentation. It just would've been better had they not spoiled all the games in the first teaser :p.

First 6 months are considered launch FYI

Also, here's something a lot of you have been wanting, and a big reason for the paid online

Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

I'm not really confident that a $300 USD price point will sell the system against the half-gen PS4s and Xboxes. I mean, is more motion gimmick mixed with a hybrid portable really the next big thing? I thought VR was trying to be the next big thing. Ninty is outgunned in the specs department, and outgunned in the innovation department as well. The battery life is equal to what, a Game Gear? What brings people with no current home console to the Switch if they sell at equal prices? It's not the non-exclusive FIFA or four year old Skyrim. Mario is a Christmas game. The launch titles are... Zelda basically. Zelda is hot and I will buy it, but I don't see it grabbing any new players who are not already Nintendo devotees. Waving logos around in celebration of third party support reminds me of the Wii U. If sales tank, third parties will get their business elsewhere like before.

Parties and voice chat being the reason to charge, still doesn't seem that good a reason imo. Suddenly excusing ninty for online charging just cause there ninty, isn't really my cup of tea

• Thumbs Up 3

26 minutes ago, Nix said:

>single joycon is 50 fucking dollars

>joycon pack is $80

>pro controller is $70

wtf.gif

And here I thought the price for a new PS4 Controller was too much, that's just criminal.

If they had made Online gameplay free but everything else paid I would approve.

But this is bullshit.