Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

8 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

Anyone else get this sinking feeling that this might be the last console game from Nintendo if it underpreforms? Like, if it fails (like expect it to) they might just shift all their focus to mobile stuff?

They won't focus on Mobile, no way. They'd go third party console long before going exclusively mobile. I also don't see it failing either. Not doing gangbusters perhaps, but no way it outright fails.

As iffy as I am on the Switch, the thing that excites me the most (about the console itself) is the potential it has for multiplayer. Couch multiplayer for consoles has always been designed with the assumption that two or more people are sharing a system. Handheld games (and online-only games) assume that one player is using the system all by themselves, and are designed accordingly. With the Switch being a hybrid, it's open to multiple forms of play. 

Case in point: it's looking like both Arms and Mario Kart can have split-screen, online, and play between multiple Switches. In a day where couch multiplayer feels like a dying art that only indie studios and fighting game developers are interested in, the Switch could be a breath of fresh air. The only question is whether or not Nintendo will capitalize on it or let that potential go to waste. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Feels like a lot of third party has been held out for their own announcements and E3. Everything is pointing to Nintendo being conservative on release spacing to the point of reducing launch day line up in favor of a stready stream of supplies.

Also, confirmed for NA launch day:

Zelda

Super Bomberman R(This was likely co-developed by Nintendo)

Redout,

Fast Racing Remix(Neo upgrade)

I am Sasuake

Has Been Heroes

1, 2 Switch

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Lego City Undercover

And more games keep comiing from the woodwork, NBA2018 was reconfirmed, and a ton of indie games keep popping up, even for launch

2 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Feels like a lot of third party has been held out for their own announcements and E3. Everything is pointing to Nintendo being conservative on release spacing to the point of reducing launch day line up in favor of a stready stream of supplies.

Also, confirmed for NA launch day:

Zelda

Super Bomberman R(This was likely co-developed by Nintendo)

Redout,

Fast Racing Remix(Neo upgrade)

I am Sasuake

Has Been Heroes

1, 2 Switch

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Lego City Undercover

And more games keep comiing from the woodwork, NBA2018 was reconfirmed, and a ton of indie games keep popping up, even for launch

Don't forget Skylanders. That's a Launch Title.

https://blog.activision.com/t5/Skylanders/Skylanders-Imaginators-Will-Be-a-Launch-Title-for-the-Nintendo/ba-p/10140118

This does make me wonder if LEGO Dimensions will ever get a port, as Skylanders is showing that doing a Portal-less toys to life game is possible. You could easily pull a Splatoon 2 and open a menu to manage Toy Pad character placements... hmmm...

I think I've reached the decision that this will be a bit after launch console for me. Not super far after launch but looks like the thing is starting off a bit sluggish but building momentum as the year goes on. So once we get further into the spring and I can play Sonic Mania and Mario Kart in addition to Zelda with Splatoon 2 not too far out, I think it'll be a pretty good buy for me.  Thing's life looks like it'll truly begin second half of the year. 

Fuck paying for online though!

I'm so hyped to finally get another Bomberman, and I'm glad Puyo Puyo is being localized as well. Am hoping we get a lot more game announcements soon and more further trailers rather than just teases.

• Thumbs Up 1

Arcade Archives(Neo-Geo collection from Hamster) is confirmed

http://gonintendo.com/stories/271778-arcade-archives-coming-to-switch-neogeo-titles#comments

Arcade Archives coming to Switch (NeoGeo titles)

13 January, 2017 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 2

tumblr_ojppkz0Lo31s2z1y6o2_500.jpg

Arcade Archives is coming to the Switch. This is actually a collection of NeoGeo games, the full list of which you can find below. It seems that each title can be purchased separately.

– The King of Fighters ‘98
– Waku Waku 7
– Shock Troopers
– World Heroes Perfect
– Metal Slug 3

So USF2 isn't the only fighting games we're getting... I'll probably have to get this too.. I love Neo-Geo, I have an actual MVS cab

Also neither this or USF2 have a relase window, although the latter is a completely new version of SF 2, not just a HD port

Edit: there also may be more or different games from that, there's been a couple different versions

Anyone else get the feeling that Koizumi is being set up to be Nintendo's next president? He has long been known as one of Nintendo's "secret geniuses" and he's now the head of everything Nintendo in Tokyo. He was THE main presenter at the show. That's very telling.

240H9uf.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Azoo said:

I would argue against some of these, but I imagined you were going to actively express dislike for this console before you even knew what it was, so whatever to that I suppose. lol

Compare what I said when it was announced 2 months ago (when I was told to wait for this event as it was too early to tell lolz) to the number of answers we got on the stuff which other people said was also important and you'll find they failed on pretty much everything.

Had they bothered to give us a launch lineup and details of their user account settings an online subscription which isn't a joke then I might have something nice to say about it other than Zelda and Mario look good. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It feels like Nintendo is making the same mistakes for the Switch as they did for the Wii U, there's no launch games releasing alongside the console on release day, except for Zelda, and Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Odyssey, and multiple third party games won't be coming out till Spring- Winter 2017. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

I don't suppose reasonable features like online co-op would fall into that category, would they?

I get how it might not seem like the same thing, but a co-op game is pretty much the same level of complexity to handle online as a competitive game is.  Essentially, if you're interacting with other players "live", it'll prolly be paid-only.

• Thumbs Up 1

They REALLY need to clarify the online for me. Their architecture isn't all that hot (still have trouble connecting to random lobbies in MK8 sometimes), and now you're asking me to put in an extra fee to get the same experience I'm already getting for free? (On top of that, I'd have to pay full price for the same experience again, just with Battle Mode, which I don't play). It better be cheap as shit, because I'm not doing a Live style service for MK8 and maybe Spla2n.

• Thumbs Up 9

While I'm loving what I'm seeing of the first party lineup so far, I think it's very obvious that they're saving their other heavy hitters for E3 and Directs throughout the year. I think announcements for Smash Bros., Pikmin 4, Retro Studios' title, Sakurai's new game, Pokemon, Intelligent System's new games, among others are just going to be sprinkled out through the next 6 months or so. They didn't want to blow their entire load today and I can see why.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like most of you, I was very disappointed with the showing. Zelda and Mario look great, but that was to be expected. It makes sense for them to space those two out, yet the lack of Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart at launch is a massive shame. And that brings me to the online fees... Nintendo consoles aren't exactly known to be brimming with fantastic online experiences and the incentive (one month's worth of a bloody NES or SNES game) is laughable next to the competition.

The real kicker besides this is the £280 price tag for the UK, on top of the frankly ridiculous cost of extra controllers. The presentation would have needed muuuuuuch more to convince me to part with £340 for a console and one game. Yeah, Zelda is being sold for £60. I just.... what.

I want to play the better version of Zelda, but it's really hard to justify the price of admission when their last console let people down. After that stream I have my doubts that it will succeed where the Wii U failed, which sucks because I think the machine itself in concept is one of the best ideas Nintendo has ever had.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh man, Nintendy. Why do you always have to go two steps forward and three steps back with your shit? Why do you gotta make me conflicted between hype and disappointment.

Alright, I guess I'll just throw out some random thoughts.

• Online is frankly bullshit. One NES game or SNES free per 30 days from a extremely limited library in the first place? You couldn't even spring to give us GBA, DS and N64 games? This is pretty useless to me when there's few SNES games that genuinely interest me enough to go through it entirely. Plus the fact these are over 20 year old games. Also, if you have the balls to charge for your online systems Nintendo, you better fucking have improved them ten fold. No friend code nonsense, a proper messaging service, friends list service, and many more. And I better not jump into a game of Smash Bros online to find it running at like 10 frames a second (This is hyperbole, before anyone jumps in to call me out on "its not 10fps stfu") 
  • The battery life really needed to be better. One of the main selling points of the console was the portability, and on top of that, it's supposedly going to take over the 3DS. Keep in mind the Vita got laughed at for having a four hour battery life when playing stuff like Uncharted Golden Abyss. Six hours is possible, but you would need to be playing some rather simple time wasters to get that maximum, which kind of sucks if you're on a long ride and wish to play a full game. Considering the size of the Switch tablet, you aren't just going to be pulling this out at random for ten minutes to play.
  • Yeesh, they better announce some new games for the launch day, because this is giving me bad vibes of the Wii U's launch window, right down to several Ubisoft ports.
  • Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, and Mario Odyssey genuinely look awesome, but they really should've given the Switch like another month or so before release to try get a bigger launch day lineup going with Mario Kart at least.

Alrighty, is that everything?

>no trophies or achievements

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

I know it's not much, or not many people are getting it, but Xenoverse 2 HAS NO REASON not to be a Launch Title.

The game is out since the end of October.  And if Skylanders can, then so Xenoverse 2 can.

Or if Launch is too much...then April or maybe May at worst. It's not a new game Bandai is working on, unless it's a ''Special Edition'' or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Oh man, Nintendy. Why do you always have to go two steps forward and three steps back with your shit? Why do you gotta make me conflicted between hype and disappointment.

Alright, I guess I'll just throw out some random thoughts.

• Online is frankly bullshit. One NES game or SNES free per 30 days from a extremely limited library in the first place? You couldn't even spring to give us GBA, DS and N64 games? This is pretty useless to me when there's few SNES games that genuinely interest me enough to go through it entirely. Plus the fact these are over 20 year old games. Also, if you have the balls to charge for your online systems Nintendo, you better fucking have improved them ten fold. No friend code nonsense, a proper messaging service, friends list service, and many more. And I better not jump into a game of Smash Bros online to find it running at like 10 frames a second (This is hyperbole, before anyone jumps in to call me out on "its not 10fps stfu") 
  • The battery life really needed to be better. One of the main selling points of the console was the portability, and on top of that, it's supposedly going to take over the 3DS. Keep in mind the Vita got laughed at for having a four hour battery life when playing stuff like Uncharted Golden Abyss. Six hours is possible, but you would need to be playing some rather simple time wasters to get that maximum, which kind of sucks if you're on a long ride and wish to play a full game. Considering the size of the Switch tablet, you aren't just going to be pulling this out at random for ten minutes to play.
  • Yeesh, they better announce some new games for the launch day, because this is giving me bad vibes of the Wii U's launch window, right down to several Ubisoft ports.
  • Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, and Mario Odyssey genuinely look awesome, but they really should've given the Switch like another month or so before release to try get a bigger launch day lineup going with Mario Kart at least.

Alrighty, is that everything?

>no trophies or achievements

giphy.gif

Don't forget that party chat occurs through a damn mobile app (and on a game-by-game basis!). At that point you might as well use Skype or Discord.

That's not even addressing the fact that the system should have native party chat capabilities.

• Thumbs Up 2

Do we know what resoluton the games will have?

I heard both 900p and 1080p for docked, while 720p for handheld.

Battery life is not going to be improved unless you want the console to be much bigger to house bigger/more batteries (defeats the point of portability), or you want Nintendo to increase the initial cost of the console by researching non-lithium ion options that may or may not be better (everyone's balking at $300). Battery tech as we know it is at the end of the road.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

They REALLY need to clarify the online for me. Their architecture isn't all that hot (still have trouble connecting to random lobbies in MK8 sometimes), and now you're asking me to put in an extra fee to get the same experience I'm already getting for free? (On top of that, I'd have to pay full price for the same experience again, just with Battle Mode, which I don't play). It better be cheap as shit, because I'm not doing a Live style service for MK8 and maybe Spla2n.

Rofl get ready. Your paying 30 and up for online at the least. It gives them money to improve

11 minutes ago, Goku Black (Diamond) said:

Do we know what resoluton the games will have?

I heard both 900p and 1080p for docked, while 720p for handheld.

Depends on the game.  but you are right.  Zelda is 900 docked. Unlocked 720

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean..It's better than 720p docked. I am not too much into graphics so it's allright. At least Mario Kart Deluxe is 1080p 60 FPS.

I am most probably only gonna use TV mode anyway.

1 minute ago, Goku Black (Diamond) said:

I mean..It's better than 720p docked. I am not too much into graphics so it's allright. At least Mario Kart Deluxe is 1080p 60 FPS.

I am most probably only gonna use TV mode anyway.

I agree but honestly that's good enough I think starting off. Most the games looked great still.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Rofl get ready. Your paying 30 and up for online at the least. It gives them money to improve

If they wanted money to improve, they should've proven that they could A. actually bring their online functionality up to snuff in comparison to PSN and Xbox Live, and B. Create online systems worth the cost. Right now, this sounds exactly like Wii U's online, except you can use your phone to group chat, which is still fucking stupid.