Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

39 minutes ago, Boomer said:

And that'll cost an arm and a leg.

Nintendo is also looking at supporting external HDDs in the future.

- Cannot write on game cards (not even for game saves, it seems), all goes on the internal 32GB flash memory.
- Expanded storage via microSD already taking up to 2 TB, even if nobody will have those cards at home at launch.
- The system is actually ready to take external USB drives for additional storage, but as it'd be via those ports on the dock, you wouldn't be able to take games with you, so Nintendo is still looking at it and thus this option won't be active at launch.

But the original source said it kinda differently.

It looks like the Nintendo Switch game cards (or cartridges if you like) are not rewritable, as they're read-only solid memory units. This means its capacity will never be available for, for example, storing game saves or DLC on the free space left over (it must be said here that basic cards are said to be around 16 GB).

Then, users looking for extra storage space will have an alternative that combines what's been offered before by Wii U and 3DS, but with some further considerations:

• Nintendo Switch by default supports up to 2 TB of additional storage via high capacity SD cards (microSDXC), though that size isn't available yet (you can manage with smaller ones meanwhile).

• Nintendo Switch is also able to support external hard disk drives via the USB 2.0 ports placed on the side of the console's dock. However, this option has not yet been activated on the system: Nintendo is still considering it, mainly for mobility reasons, as if you save your games on an external USB memory drive connected to your dock, you wouldn't be able to take them with you in handheld mode, which goes against main feature and philosophy of the new system.

Even though 32 GB seem too little nowadays, let's also keep in mind we're talking about a portable device which storage can be expanded with memory cards, so users shouldn't actually have many storage issues in the long run. 

Edit: Changed the source to the English version of their site for better clarity that isn't Google Translate.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Up to 2 TB actually, they just aren't commericially available. However remember the number 1 cost eater on other systems, installing the ENTIRE game from the disc to the Harddrive doesn't apply here, and that's going to save a lot of space.

Unless you want to go fully digital.

Just now, Marcello said:

Unless you want to go fully digital.

Shrug, that's you choice, although there's been confirmation of some games being $5-10 bucks cheaper digital, which is more that enough to buy a good MicroSD. you can get a 200GB for 60 bucks, and the prices are going to start going down a bit as the larger ones finally start to see circulation

6 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Shrug, that's you choice, although there's been confirmation of some games being $5-10 bucks cheaper digital, which is more that enough to buy a good MicroSD. you can get a 200GB for 60 bucks, and the prices are going to start going down a bit as the larger ones finally start to see circulation

Which is still 1/5 of what I get from the competition for a similar price.

And where is that confirmation on cheaper digital games?

TotalBiscuit did a video on the Switch presentation, and mentioned how microSD cards aren't as fast as mechanical hard drives you find in the PS4 and Xbox One, or even long lasting. There's a chance that you may have to replace the microSD card maybe once or twice because it could break or corrupt your files.

Just now, Marcello said:

Which is still 1/5 of what I get from the competition for a similar price.

And where is that confirmation on cheaper digital games?

Puyo Puyo Tetris press release

C2Bx9QMUcAEmcYC.jpg

Just now, PaddyFancy said:

TotalBiscuit did a video on the Switch presentation, and mentioned how microSD cards aren't as fast as mechanical hard drives you find in the PS4 and Xbox One, or even long lasting. There's a chance that you may have to replace the microSD card maybe once or twice because it could break or corrupt your files.

I'm guessing that's generic third party ones, Nintendo only supports SDXC officially. remember, Nintendo doesn't support Flash Drives. Also when harddrive support happens that'll be good too, though the reason it doesn't have it at launch is you don't want little Timmy playing Splatoon 2 off the HDD and decides he wants to play in another room, removes the switch, and not only loses the game but potentially scrambles the harddrive.

When we do see HDD support, I'm expecting a transfer system, with it basically acting as a Backup/database, but not for active reading

2 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Puyo Puyo Tetris press release

C2Bx9QMUcAEmcYC.jpg

That's not confirmation at all. This is one game, not games. Second of all, the Switch retail version is more expensive because it's a special edition. The physical PS4 version is the same price as the Switch digital version.

There was no way a handheld was going to offer hundreds of gigs of internal storage without raising the price to an obscene amount. Cheap but expansive internal storage is the other big issue modern handheld electronics hasn't overcome yet. However, UFS will certainly fix the main issues with SD cards, mainly speed and reliability, though it's gonna be expensive at first, but UFS cards are gonna a reasonably close second to SSDs in terms of speed, making them much, much more viable for gaming use.

On the flipside, Switch game cards are going to be leagues faster and more convenient to carry around than disks, so mandatory installs are not gonna happen and you can carry a bunch of games around wherever you go in a small carrying case. At least Nintendo is still carrying the "plug in and play instantly" torch, unlike Sony and MS.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, PaddyFancy said:

I've never had to do this once on my New 3DS, why would Switch be any different?

• Thumbs Up 4

Ok, the Pro Controller is transparent, I really hope they do a N64 style Blue or Green... or heck on the joycons too. really hope they go crazy and classic with color options later on

...So you're telling me we can't even trust the raw pre-order numbers because a chunk of them may have been bought for scalping purposes? Did this happen with the PS4/Xbox One?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself but I don't think I'm a day one buyer. I may hold out until MK8D and Mania are released then I can have two solid games in rotation while I wait for SMO and Project Sonic 2017 (aka Gens 2). If anything I may just buy the console and a pro controller with no games. When I worked at Best Buy alot of people would buy the PS4 and Xbox without games. and we would get more sales from games and accessories so I was a happy camper if they bought a controller with the console when they didn't want to buy games.

19 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

...So you're telling me we can't even trust the raw pre-order numbers because a chunk of them may have been bought for scalping purposes? Did this happen with the PS4/Xbox One?

CEWKlMNl.jpg

Gonna be rich.

• Thumbs Up 7

My last post was kinda sarcastic but still - I think the Switch is going to have a "second launch" party this upcoming Holiday season, after we get more developers talking and after E3 of course. Mario's Big Damn Adventure™ is coming around Christmastime anyway, so that's the better time to snag it. I think the Switch will do a lot better in the longrun, but much like the PlayStation 3, it's early days are probably going to have no games™.

And remember kids,

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, EA appears to have disproved the FIFA rumor.

So I don't know what they mean by it being custom built, but yeah. Sounds better than being based on the 360 version.

who cares when you can import Inazuma Eleven Ares tho

Just now, God Eater Lenka said:

Well, EA appears to have disproved the FIFA rumor.

So I don't know what they mean by it being custom built, but yeah. Sounds better than being based on the 360 version.

who cares when you can import Inazuma Eleven Ares tho

Those are just fancy words that just mean. We have the original code of the Fifa that released on PS3. We just changed some things here and there so that it can work on Switch.

1 minute ago, Tails spin said:

Those are just fancy words that just mean. We have the original code of the Fifa that released on PS3. We just changed some things here and there so that it can work on Switch.

Why would he go out of his way to bring that quote to attention to debunk a rumor, then? I'd think he would've stayed silent.

3 minutes ago, God Eater Lenka said:

Why would he go out of his way to bring that quote to attention to debunk a rumor, then? I'd think he would've stayed silent.

It would make it worse if he didn't say anything. This is basic PR. They want their almost 10 year game (I'm assuming) to sell while making it look like they added a fresh coat of paint.

• Thumbs Up 1

These are the launch titles (so far, at least) in Japan.

Why isn't Snipperclips a Launch Title in America and Europe?!

It's a game about paper shaped people. There isn't something to be censored or dubbed.

Or is it because no one cares about it...

Just now, Goku Black (Diamond) said:

Why isn't Snipperclips a Launch Title in America and Europe?!

It's a game about paper shaped people. There isn't something to be censored or dubbed.

Or is it because no one cares about it...

it because no one cares about it... (this)

• Thumbs Up 2