Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

There indeed was, with some interesting hints of support. For instance, some kind of Tales series game is coming, whether it's a new one or not I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 4

As much as it be neat see MVC3 on the switch its already going to be on the two main systems currently out. Plus most all fighting game fans will be on one or the 4 so I see no real reason capcom would even be considering it currently

With the full reveal done, what first party games are you guys hoping we see during future Directs and at E3 in June? It's obvious that they're saving some big ones for later. Personally, I'm waiting for Smash. That will be a huge reveal at E3. That, along with 3D Mario is always my system seller. I'm practically convinced Kirby is getting a new game, it's his 25th anniversary, there is no way he doesn't get a game this year. I'm also itching to see what Retro Studios has been working on. I have a strong feeling it is indeed Metroid. Seeing a Pokemon RPG in HD for the first time is also going to be incredible. Lastly, I'm very excited to see what Sakurai's new project is. There are so many possibilities, he's bound to surprise us.

It was funny when the third party developers came out and showed trailers for their games. Then Sega came out and said, "We're working on stuff, but we can't tell you what." Clappity clappity Sega. 10/10.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Terriful said:

It was funny when the third party developers came out and showed trailers for their games. Then Sega came out and said, "We're working on stuff, but we can't tell you what." Clappity clappity Sega. 10/10.

Come to think of it though, would it have killed them to come with something? Like a new level from Sonic Mania or, hell, even a title for Sonic 2017? I actually felt embarrassed for that guy that came out with nothing. XD

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

As much as it be neat see MVC3 on the switch its already going to be on the two main systems currently out. Plus most all fighting game fans will be on one or the 4 so I see no real reason capcom would even be considering it currently

They put it on the Vita at original launch. they see the value of it on a handheld

4 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Same. My grandma's been playing Tetris since day one(still has her GB copy, and still plays it on her SP. She's almost 70), and it'd be great to be able to play with her. That and I find puzzle game relaxing, and easy for everyone to join in. Same goes for bombeman

Those 2 plus Zelda are all I needed to justify getting the switch at launch. Snipperclips is a bonus

You're forgetting that Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't a Switch exclusive; it's also being released simultaneously on the PS4. This means that the game can't be held-up as an incentive to justify the Switch's exuberant $300 price tag.

For example, I might be interested in buying Puyo Puyo Tetris but I have no reason to purchase a Switch as well in order to do so. I can merely buy the PS4 version of the game alongside the other third-party support that the PS4 consistently receives. When I already plan to purchase Yakuza 0, Digimon World: Next Order and Persona 5 on the PS4 this year.

Hence, the Switch still faces the same third-party support problems that crippled the Wii U. It's a waste of time to invest in the Switch when what few third-party games it does receive can usually be found elsewhere on other consoles with better libraries of games.

4 minutes ago, Kintor said:

You're forgetting that Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't a Switch exclusive; it's also being released simultaneously on the PS4. This means that the game can't be held-up as an incentive to justify the Switch's exuberant $300 price tag.

For example, I might be interested in buying Puyo Puyo Tetris but I have no reason to purchase a Switch as well in order to do so. I can merely buy the PS4 version of the game alongside the other third-party support that the PS4 consistently receives. When I already plan to purchase Yakuza 0, Digimon World: Next Order and Persona 5 on the PS4 this year.

Hence, the Switch still faces the same third-party support problems that crippled the Wii U. It's a waste of time to invest in the Switch when what few third-party games it does receive can usually be found elsewhere on other consoles with better libraries of games.

Um, I said for myself. and I don't have a  PS4, nor do I plan to get one since as of now there are... 2 maybe 3 exclusives I want, and only one or two are out. I have a ton of games I want for Switch, and the 3 I need to justify myself are out around launch. You completely misread this. also You can't play it on the go and anywhere on the PS4

Also you want 3 exclusives in the launch window? ok, Zelda, Arms, and Bomberman. I also want SnipperClips as well.

20 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Um, I said for myself. and I don't have a  PS4, nor do I plan to get one since as of now there are... 2 maybe 3 exclusives I want, and only one or two are out. I have a ton of games I want for Switch, and the 3 I need to justify myself are out around launch. You completely misread this. also You can't play it on the go and anywhere on the PS4

Also you want 3 exclusives in the launch window? ok, Zelda, Arms, and Bomberman. I also want SnipperClips as well.

No offense but you might just be the first person on the planet to claim that the Switch's line-up = a ton of games. When in reality there's even less games being released on the Switch then the Wii U's own anaemic first year.

Furthermore, you need to understand that the PS4 is already a common sight in many households. As of January this year Sony has managed to sell 54 million PS4s worldwide. This means that for most gamers interested in Puyo Puyo Tetris the choice isn't between buying a Switch or a PS4 because in all probability they already own a PS4 anyway.

This makes Puyo Puyo Tetris a reasonable PS4 game to purchase alongside everything else this year but a poor reason to waste an extra $300 on a Switch.

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

No offense but you might just be the first person on the planet to claim that the Switch's line-up = a ton of games. When in reality there's even less games being released on the Switch then the Wii U's own anaemic first year.

Furthermore, you need to understand that the PS4 is already a common sight in many households. As of January this year Sony has managed to sell 54 million PS4s worldwide. This means that for most gamers interested in Puyo Puyo Tetris the choice isn't between buying a Switch or a PS4 because in all probability they already own a PS4 anyway.

This makes Puyo Puyo Tetris a reasonable PS4 game to purchase alongside everything else this year but a poor reason to waste an extra $300 on a Switch.

Again you miss the entire point, I wasn't talking about selling other people, I was just joining in some of the lighter aspects in this thread about what I AM looking forward to, and will enjoy with my family. And yes I already see a year full of massively high quality games, and more yet to be announced. This threads not all about being pestimistic and complaining, it's also about discussing what we are personally looking forward to.

1 minute ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Again you miss the entire point, I wasn't talking about selling other people, I was just joining in some of the lighter aspects in this thread about what I AM looking forward to, and will enjoy with my family. And yes I already see a year full of massively high quality games, and more yet to be announced. This threads not all about being pestimistic and complaining, it's also about discussing what we are personally looking forward to.

Please don't get defensive about this. I have no interest in dying your desire to purchase  Switch, as this decisions makes sense for you given your personal history with Nintendo. However, this thread is also about the future of the Switch as a console. A future that looks increasingly bleak as more bad news is being revealed about the Switch. Because there aren't many games being released for the Switch, most are delayed ports or something that can be found on other consoles anyway. At this point I'd be amazed if the Switch last more than a year before major retailers start pulling the console off their shelves.

Didnt Nintendos stocks drop again by about 5.8% after the show? Could this really be the make or break system for them besides handhelds like the 3ds

So Nintendo continues their plans to spread interest to the general public by inviting some popular Vbloggers to the Event. These are just general guys, not gamers, and spread to a lot of regular people who may not have known otherwise and could help spread interest in general. This one in particular was a fun one

He was having a blast and enjoying the Nintendo experience, and reminding us of the real point of game systems: Fun and Joy.

Oh and Ijustine for anyone interested

These are people invited to spread the word. They weren't paid, just offered entry and given some food, their impressions are their own

On 1/14/2017 at 4:58 PM, PaddyFancy said:

What do you mean me? I just posted what TotalBiscuit said. I can't tell if he's being accurate or not to believe him or not. I would think he's an expert in gaming so it would be very surprising for him to get things wrong. Not that I've seen much in the way of rebuttal on his reddit that you and @PSI Wind seem to suggest, if what he said was so egregiously wrong.

Fine, I didn't give my personal opinion on what he said at the time but I'll take the ribbing on his behalf.

Samahani, have we met before?

I have no personal quarrel with you,  just the information presented which appears to be from on and off again TotalBiscuit.

Now if you'd like to try and parry our arguments instead of needlessly lamenting the situation,  that'd be keen. 

Wired had an interview with ya boy Reggie about the Switch. Gonna quote the main thing of everyone's mind.

Nintendo’s online service for Switch will charge a monthly fee and one of the incentives is one free classic game “per month.” Does that mean you lose access to that game after a month?

Reggie Fils-Aime: Correct. It means that essentially you’ve got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there’s a new selection. You’ll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we’ve moved on to another game.

I think it would be helpful maybe to step back. Because I think it’s important there’s an understanding of the bigger vision. The bigger vision is that we are going to provide an overall online service, subscription-based, that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we’re going to provide through a global app. We think that that’s just as important as access to Virtual Console content.

The reason for that is, it continues to reinforce our commitment to online, and do so in a way that will enable the consumer to enjoy their Nintendo Switch and to still be able to play those connected experiences—like Splatoon, like Kart, like fill in the blank—while they’re on the go. Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. That’s part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you, Reggie, for trying to spin this negative into a positive take on another baffling decision made. Even with his proficiency in the art of bullshit, the poor guy is struggling to make sense of Nintendo right now.

23 minutes ago, Marcello said:

giphy.gif

I really don't know what to say except that he's doing a terrible job at convincing me of the benefits of them doing paid online.

That gif was my reaction reading it. Especially when he talked about the multiplayer aspect. So we will have to pay if we want to use multiplayer options in our games.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Athena Cykes said:

Wired had an interview with ya boy Reggie about the Switch. Gonna quote the main thing of everyone's mind.

Ugh. It better be a fucking good game we're getting every month, Reggie. Sony is crap for doing it, Microsoft is crap for doing it, and now Nintendo is joining them. The only plus I've seen is being able to play older games with online multiplayer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah it's kind of an awkward response.

"Do we lose access to the monthly VC game at the end of each month?"

"Yes but we're offering a better online service and a smartphone app for communication is much more convenient for online gaming on the go."

Only the first word of that summary actually applies to the question asked, lol.

Also I can't imagine that many people are THAT excited about mobile online gaming?  I wouldn't really trust public Wi-Fi to give me a reliable connection for online gaming.  Even then a phone app isn't the most convenient thing because you can only wear headphones for either the Switch OR the app.  Either you're using text chat between games or you have to choose between game sound or chat.

Unless of course you have headphones plugged into NEITHER device, where, assuming you are using public Wi-Fi, you are bothering everyone around you in your current location in a multitude of ways and embarrassing yourself.

Unless you play in a park or something by piggybacking off your phone's 4G, I'm sure that'll be stable!

This is of course, assuming you are a crazy person who cannot survive being out of the house for one reason or another without playing some kind of online game midway through.  I think I'll be sticking to single player Switch games, or hell, my 3DS for train journeys thanks.

• Thumbs Up 4

12 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Didnt Nintendos stocks drop again by about 5.8% after the show? Could this really be the make or break system for them besides handhelds like the 3ds

Yeah, but that always happens, regardless of the announcement. That means nothing.

Don't we all kind of already own most NES games? I feel like it'll take quite a long time before they start offering any new ones that aren't already on Wii or Wii U anyways. I can understand being annoyed about SNES games though, what with them have online play now... I wonder which ones?

I'm sure we'll get a discount for the Super Mario Bros. game I've bought 3 times when they give the option to purchase. Probably.

Ok, so here's an idea I've seen thrown around elsewhere but not here, know what the switch would be great for the return of? Dual stick games! Mech games in particular, like Virtual On, or any number of awesome games that could be supported that way out of the box, or heck imagine using the switch for a Pod Racer game, where you can use the sticks as the throttles, or any number of awesome control options. there's a lot of potential here

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Ugh. It better be a fucking good game we're getting every month, Reggie. Sony is crap for doing it, Microsoft is crap for doing it, and now Nintendo is joining them. The only plus I've seen is being able to play older games with online multiplayer.

You get exactly one NES or SNES game. And considering how long it took them to actually get a sizable portion of games onto the Wii U, you can bet Switch's VC will be barren as fuck come launch anyway.

I don't even get how Nintendo have fucked this up twice in a row. Take PS4 and Xbox One's template, base your online and system features around those, including memory and the like. Then just release your fucking exclusives through that. Not only would you have a ton more third party support because there wouldn't need to be an incredible amount of effort in porting games, but the first party lineup completely trumps Microsoft, (I'd argue not Sony tho, because Sony's exclusives are far and wide in different genres and different games for different age groups). so if they did that, I feel there's a good chance it could beat out Xbox One. But instead Nintendo are so desperate to constantly try and reinvent the wheel and fix what isn't broken that they keep ending up missing out on the most common things for gaming in 2017, and now they're trying to justify said nonsense as somehow good.