Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

Expect stuff you've owned 5 times over like Super Mario Bros and trash like Ice Climber for the first year or so lol

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Expect stuff you've owned 5 times over like Super Mario Bros and trash like Ice Climber for the first year or so lol

Also expect having to pay for said games you own five times over.

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Take PS4 and Xbox One's template...

That's the thing, this is the same company who had admitted to not looking at their competitor's online infrastructures.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Boomer said:

That's the thing, this is the same company who had admitted to not looking at their competitor's online infrastructures.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Nintendo at this point might as well be that really out of touch dad, who at one point was really cool, but at this point, is completely out of touch with the world, and thinks if they begin wearing a cool hat and shouting outdated lingo like hip and with it, and without actually doing research of what's actually cool, they'll be cool again. So at this point, they pretty much think the PS2's online functionality is where it's at. 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You get exactly one NES or SNES game. And considering how long it took them to actually get a sizable portion of games onto the Wii U, you can bet Switch's VC will be barren as fuck come launch anyway.

I don't even get how Nintendo have fucked this up twice in a row. Take PS4 and Xbox One's template, base your online and system features around those, including memory and the like. Then just release your fucking exclusives through that. Not only would you have a ton more third party support because there wouldn't need to be an incredible amount of effort in porting games, but the third party lineup completely trumps Microsoft, (I'd argue not Sony tho, because Sony's exclusives are far and wide in different genres and different games for different age groups). so if they did that, I feel there's a good chance it could beat out Xbox One. But instead Nintendo are so desperate to constantly try and reinvent the wheel and fix what isn't broken that they keep ending up missing out on the most common things for gaming in 2017, and now they're trying to justify said nonsense as somehow good. 

A lot of this rings true. I would accept this better if there was a wide variety of VC games from the start, NES-Wii at the least, but everyone knows that is not going to happen. It's going to be Super Mario Bros. and a couple of other throwaway NES games on launch day again. The idea of taking your console on the go is an incredibly solid one, and so far, the execution seems solid as well. It's just a lot of this other stuff that bothers me. Many people praised Nintendo for the past two generatoons for not doing what the competition does: charging for online. It sucks that they decided to go where the money is and not continue one of their qualities. My other issue is the price of those accessories, $80 for two joycons?! Are they fucking serious?! They're already selling the thing at a profit, I've never seen them be this pricey before. It's absurd. It's like they saw all of the positive feedback of the first trailer and then let all of it get to their heads.

40 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Also expect having to pay for said games you own five times over.

Why buy them again anyway, then? Unless you're trading in your Wii U I don't see a point. We don't know if the colors are gonna be any better either.

@Zippo I think the Joy Cons are expensive because each one is a full controller. So it's really 40 bucks each. Still really expensive though, they should sell them separately. Although Wii remotes were around $50 (or was that just the Motion Plus?) and Nunchuks were $20, so I guess it's somewhat the same price. Pro controllers however... I can't see why they're so expensive. I don't understand.

But uh, yeah, they should sell them separately in case you break one or something.

Just now, God Eater Lenka said:

Why buy them again anyway, then? Unless you're trading in your Wii U I don't see a point. We don't know if the colors are gonna be any better either.

@Zippo I think the Joy Cons are expensive because each one is a full controller. So it's really 40 bucks each. Still really expensive though, they should sell them separately. Although Wii remotes were around $50 (or was that just the Motion Plus?) and Nunchuks were $20, so I guess it's somewhat the same price. Pro controllers however... I can't see why they're so expensive. I don't understand.

But uh, yeah, they should sell them separately in case you break one or something.

They do, it's 50 for an individual one(although one has more tech than the other. So yeah, buying both is the better deal. what I need is a second pair anyways, and with a charging cradle, it means I have 2 regular, or 4 mini-controllers, which is great for my family.

Also Pro controller has  the HD rumble, Gyro, and NFC reader, and the PS4 controller is $60 FYI, so it's really not that bad

At the very least I feel this monthly VC thing would be acceptable if you got 2-3 games per month rather than just one (for example, an arcade-style NES game like Balloon Fight or Ice Climber, a long-form NES game like Super Mario Bros. 3 or Mega Man II, and a SNES game (which is likely to be significantly meatier than a NES game whether it's arcade or long-form).

Then, make it so if you purchase in the month, or within a "last chance!" week following the month, you get the game at a discount, like 30-50% or so.

To do three games a month in this fashion would only require 24 NES games and 12 SNES games a year, and when they've drained the pool of decent titles they could always do re-runs or add GBA, N64 and DS games to the mix.  Finally, if a game you've already purchased gets a re-run (or an appearance at all if you bought it prior to the free month), you get say, 10% off any VC title you like instead, which could stack to up to 30% if you bought all three for the month, etc.  Naturally that offer expires at the end of the month if you don't use it.

The current system would be fine if these were new games or general eShop titles, but when they're roms that Nintendo has ready to go, there's no excuse to be so stingy really.  These games cost them peanuts to offer and I think being generous like this will ultimately make them more money.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, God Eater Lenka said:

I somehow doubt on SSMB, that's filled with retro gamers, that they're gonna play a retro game and consider it a one and done deal. They'll be replaying those games. And on top of that, not everyone can go out and buy the Switch alongside the Wii U. A good few will likely end up trading in the Wii U to bring down the already high cost of the Switch down a bit, meaning they'll have to go and rebuy those games. An issue that isn't present on PC, or PS4, or Xbox because of being able to download games on multiple consoles if they're supported. It's another reason why I honestly think the Virtual Console is still really fucking outdated, on top of the lack of games out of those massive libraries. They still expect you to be rebuying games you've already bought on the exact same digital distribution platform when practically every other digital distribution platform allows you to just download your already purchased game onto other consoles that use the same distribution platform. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, JezMM said:

At the very least I feel this monthly VC thing would be acceptable if you got 2-3 games per month rather than just one (for example, an arcade-style NES game like Balloon Fight or Ice Climber, a long-form NES game like Super Mario Bros. 3 or Mega Man II, and a SNES game (which is likely to be significantly meatier than a NES game whether it's arcade or long-form).

Then, make it so if you purchase in the month, or within a "last chance!" week following the month, you get the game at a discount, like 30-50% or so.

To do three games a month in this fashion would only require 24 NES games and 12 SNES games a year, and when they've drained the pool of decent titles they could always do re-runs or add GBA, N64 and DS games to the mix.  Finally, if a game you've already purchased gets a re-run (or an appearance at all if you bought it prior to the free month), you get say, 10% off any VC title you like instead, which could stack to up to 30% if you bought all three for the month, etc.  Naturally that offer expires at the end of the month if you don't use it.

The current system would be fine if these were new games or general eShop titles, but when they're roms that Nintendo has ready to go, there's no excuse to be so stingy really.  These games cost them peanuts to offer and I think being generous like this will ultimately make them more money.

This. I'd be much more accepting of this if it was something like "Hey! Get 1 free SNES, N64 and GameCube game for free every month for signing up!"

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I somehow doubt on SSMB, that's filled with retro gamers, that they're gonna play a retro game and consider it a one and done deal. They'll be replaying those games. And on top of that, not everyone can go out and buy the Switch alongside the Wii U. A good few will likely end up trading in the Wii U to bring down the already high cost of the Switch down a bit, meaning they'll have to go and rebuy those games. An issue that isn't present on PC, or PS4, or Xbox because of being able to download games on multiple consoles if they're supported. It's another reason why I honestly think the Virtual Console is still really fucking outdated, on top of the lack of games out of those massive libraries. They still expect you to be rebuying games you've already bought on the exact same digital distribution platform when practically every other digital distribution platform allows you to just download your already purchased game onto other consoles that use the same distribution platform. 

I said "unless you traded in the Wii U" to begin with. And you did say "bought 5 times over", which I assume would mean they have it on 5 systems, so even if you did trade in a Wii U, you'd have the game on 4 other systems. Unless you're exaggerating. :V

I don't think the PS4 let's you have games you already bought for free, either (it isn't even backwards compatible which annoys the heck out of me). Xbox One and PC, yeah. I'm not really defending Nintendo here, I'm just curious as to why it's such a big deal for people who already have the game on multiple systems... Honestly @Indigo Rush's comment on the NES Classic makes sense (even if it was a joke, hehe). You might as well just buy that thing for retro gaming needs. Well, NES gaming needs.

@Mando-Whirl-Wind I think controllers in general are way overpriced already. The PS4 controllers being 10 bucks less doesn't mean anything to me because they're still very expensive.

Updated list of confirmed games.

First Party:
Super Mario Odessey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2 
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Arms
Pikmin 4
1 2 Switch
Snipperclips
Untitled Pokemon Game (Rumored to be Pokemon Stars)
Untitled Masahiro Sakurai Game

Third Party:
Project Sonic 2017
Sonic Mania 
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Super Bomberman R
Skylanders Imaginators
FIFA
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Ultra Street Fighter 2
Octopath Travelers
NBA 2K18
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Taiko Drum Master
Untiled Tales Of Game
Shin Megami Tensei (working title)
No More Heroes 3
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim 
Steep
Just Dance 2017
Rayman Legends
Nobunaga's Ambition
Has Been Heroes
Rime
Seasons of Heaven 
Fast Racing RMX
Disgaea 5 Complete
Siberia 3
I am Setsuna
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Minecraft Switch Edition
Minecraft Story Mode - The Complete Adventure
Lego City Undercover
Blazblue
Yooka Laylee
Shovel Knight
Riverside
Redout
The Sacred Hero
Stardew Valley
Steamworld Project 2017
Sunu Ikkibu: Din Nahu
Tank it!
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers 
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
Riverside
Farming Simulator 18
Dungeon of Zaar
Arcade Archives
The Binding of Issac Afterbirth Plus
Cube Life: Survival Island HD
Constructor HD
Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunk

11 minutes ago, God Eater Lenka said:

I said "unless you traded in the Wii U" to begin with. And you did say "bought 5 times over", which I assume would mean they have it on 5 systems, so even if you did trade in a Wii U, you'd have the game on 4 other systems. Unless you're exaggerating. :V

I don't think the PS4 let's you have games you already bought for free, either (it isn't even backwards compatible which annoys the heck out of me). Xbox One and PC, yeah. I'm not really defending Nintendo here, I'm just curious as to why it's such a big deal for people who already have the game on multiple systems... Honestly @Indigo Rush's comment on the NES Classic makes sense (even if it was a joke, hehe). You might as well just buy that thing for retro gaming needs. Well, NES gaming needs.

@Mando-Whirl-Wind I think controllers in general are way overpriced already. The PS4 controllers being 10 bucks less doesn't mean anything to me because they're still very expensive.

The five consoles thing was hyperbole, because of the fact you'd have to buy it on Wii, Wii U, 3DS and now the Switch, if you wished to have the game on all of your Nintendo consoles that is, or move the purchases. PS4 does allow you to do it too, depending if the game was digital or on other systems. Or if we want to go to the better example, the PS1 Classics line, which was crossed over between PS3 and PS Vita. I think the only shit move they've really done was not offering discounts on PS2 Classics if you bought them on PS3. Other than that, their Cross-Buy system while it isn't in place for every game (which is more the fault of the publishers rather than Sony) is better than anything Nintendo's got going right now, especially considering the points Jim Sterling's usually made about the Virtual Console being shit in general.

45 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

They do, it's 50 for an individual one(although one has more tech than the other. So yeah, buying both is the better deal. what I need is a second pair anyways, and with a charging cradle, it means I have 2 regular, or 4 mini-controllers, which is great for my family.

Also Pro controller has  the HD rumble, Gyro, and NFC reader, and the PS4 controller is $60 FYI, so it's really not that bad

People give Sony shit for the expensive controllers, where have you been? That's not really mitigating the issue. We don't live in a world where people go "oh it's expensive, but that's because (insert technical details), eh I'll pay!" They go "wtf that's expensive as hell, I'm not buying another one"

Also that "it's not that bad" attitude kinda comes off like your projecting your ability to buy all this no problem on the general market as if they're able to do the same. Maybe that's not the case, but that's kinda the vibe i'm getting from the little piece.

• Thumbs Up 6

Also, can I say Nintendos overall marketing strateggy this weekend is working out pretty well overall. The major public/press events are making people fall in love with the system, and spread good word of mouth. Having Vloggers come to share interest and impressions to the general public and get word out to non-gamers. Heck, NOUK just threw out a great tagline and vid too

"Anytime, Anywhere with anyone" which really sells the core idea of the switch.

6 minutes ago, Zippo said:

That's actually really cool. There's a reason this thing costs as much as it does.

Seen in that light, perhaps they're actually trying to put too much into the Switch.  It does rather look like throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, from the company that has been guilty of implementing console features without actually considering what they were going to do with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Seen in that light, perhaps they're actually trying to put too much into the Switch.  It does rather look like throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, from the company that has been guilty of implementing console features without actually considering what they were going to do with them.

Right. These are cool features, but are developers actually going to use them? 

• Thumbs Up 1

In-depth system walk through

Joycons have a lifespan of 20 hours, It's nice, since it should charge when you're not playing it attaches to the system and charges, so you shouldn't have to worry about charging in your regular game session

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Hmph. I called it first.

Heh, welcome to my world, Indy.

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

This is especially telling when you consider that the most looked foward to games on the system right now look as though they were designed for buttons and nothing else. This might have been an excuse back during Wii days (though I'll still never forgive Twilight Princess for basically codifying the standard for waggle that so many other developers used), but it's kind of weird that we've been through three gens of this shit now and even Nintendo developers doesn't seem to want to touch it.

4 hours ago, Candescence said:

Holy shit, this device is PACKED with tech, the Switch has a haptic touchscreen as well:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/immersion-nintendo-bring-touchsense-tech-to-switch/

This sounded pretty neat until I remembered that the handheld makes TV mode unusable, and the TV makes handheld mode unusable - in order to use the touchscreen at all you need to remove it from the dock, which means you can't use touchscreen games on the big screen. Goddamnit, Ninty.

• Thumbs Up 3

i swear if the switch could have been significantly cheaper without that touchscreen technology i will personally yank every individual highly uncomfortably detailed strand of hair off of mario's mustache i'll be so mad

• Thumbs Up 2