Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

Jim can fuck off about Super Mario Odyssey. I'm also iffy about ports considering they were on the Wii U, which no one bought. Otherwise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Jim can fuck off about Super Mario Odyssey. I'm also iffy about ports considering they were on the Wii U, which no one bought. Otherwise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everyone's made the 06 comparison joke. No ones literally tying it to the quality. Ports like this have been a thing since the Wii(pikmin 2 and Mario sunshine I believe were fully priced, and let's not get started on metroid prime 1 and 2), and I still personally was never a fan of the full prices even then. 

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

That one was a joke to be fair. Regardless Jim does bring up a lot of points in this video that Nintendo still doesn't get it.

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Everyone's made the 06 comparison joke. No ones literally tying it to the quality.

Some people are literally tying it to quality, saying they won't buy the game as a result. Not saying Jim is, but I could detour into why it's still a dumbfuck comparison regardless.

Ports like this have been a thing since the Wii(pikmin 2 and Mario sunshine I believe were fully priced, and let's not get started on metroid prime), and I still personally was never a fan of the full prices even then. 

My point was that I disagree with Wii U ports in general being a negative, because the games they're porting are popular enough to understandably see fresh life on the system. Also, lol at expecting any company to slash price on ports of their killer apps, especially when they're porting up on a new system?

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, KHCast said:

I mean, cheaper and quality ports of popular franchises have been made 

Holy fuck dude, where did I say that they haven't? I'm saying, expecting shit like Mario Kart to not land on a system for full or near-full retail price, especially when it previously appeared on a system no one bought, is absolutely ludicrous. You might as well expect any given Call of Duty port to land for $30 or some shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

Some of these will probably be announced before then I'd argue. I think we'll get a Direct in early February.

Also, we can pretty much guarantee we'll see another Kirby game, they're practically a yearly release at this point. I also do expect a DK game from someone. At least DKC TF upgraded port, or a new 2D DK. If Retro is doing it, I only see it being a 3D DK. This could be 2017 or 2018 depending on when it started.

Not to mention Intelligent Systems. They've always got several projects in the works, and their last major title was Fates, right? Ok they did do Color Splash. They could potentially be doing an FE title. I don't expect a brand new one for Switch (yet) but maybe an HD remake of the Tellius games.

Oh for sure, we haven't seen a majority of what Nintendo's developers are working on. It's Kirby's 25th anniversary so there's another guaranteed game right there. I'll take whatever Retro puts out. They've been working on a new game for three and a half years now. Intelligent Systems, NST, Alphadream, etc. haven't shown their hand yet either. People worried about the first party lineup shouldn't be, there's gonna be a lot of announcements in the weeks and months to come. Nintendo blowing their entire load during one presentation would have been a very bad idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's still a bit of a annoyance for those that did get the game already at full price and might need to double dip. (I mean unless there's a hefty trade in offer for the Wii U counterparts of these ports.) That's probably where the controversy of these ports stem. 

True; if you got the game already on Wii U, then a plus port is already going to come at your expense. However, whether or not individuals double dip depends upon their personal thresholds. I was going to had we gotten new tracks.

I mean, it's the same price as the original game but it comes with all the DLC, adds an actual battle mode with special battle mode tracks, a few new items and three (or four if you count the different inklings as separate) new characters. Seems like a good deal to me, and I already have MK8.

1 minute ago, God Eater Lenka said:

I mean, it's the same price as the original game but it comes with all the DLC, adds an actual battle mode with special battle mode tracks, a few new items and three (or four if you count the different inklings as separate) new characters. Seems like a good deal to me, and I already have MK8.

Better resolution, a new form of multiplayer compatibility coding(local LAN), completely altering the coding and optimization for a new system(this is a port not an emulator)

Also I'd wait till E3 to really see what the switch has coming Software wise, combined with directs

If anyone bought a Wii U Mario Kart bundle after the DLC's release, they would've gotten all the DLC included for free like I did. So all it's offering for those people is the Battle Mode and new characters, which may not be enough to spend another $60 on. However, for people who never had the game at all, it's an entirely fair proposition.

• Thumbs Up 6

14 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

If anyone bought a Wii U Mario Kart bundle after the DLC's release, they would've gotten all the DLC included for free like I did. So all it's offering for those people is the Battle Mode and new characters, which may not be enough to spend another $60 on. However, for people who never had the game at all, it's an entirely fair proposition.

Ohh, I forgot about that.

Hm, I know we aren't getting any tracks at launch, but is a new batch of DLC possible for it? I'm pretty content with the number of tracks (despite not having Coconut Mall) but I'm still curious.

The number of tracks is pretty dang solid. However, as a Wii U owner I feel like spending $60 on this would be disadvantageous for me. If nothing else, I'd rather wait for a sale or for more DLC to release before I jump back in again, especially with paid online threatening to dampen the experience. I may complain about lobbies on the Wii U, but it's fucking free. Forever. You don't get much better than that.

GRANTED....

Battle Mode does look fun. *bites nails*

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to go in had they put in more tracks but it's a no go for me now until there's a price drops.

Hell, there probably ARE new tracks coming...as DLC. No thanks. I'll see how Splatoon is instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I think M8D is just a stopgap to have something Mario related close to launch. I believe they're putting their efforts into a Mario Kart 9/Nintendo Kart that will release a couple years down the road, which I'm all for. Would love to play as Kirby, Fox, Samus, Pit, Captain Falcon, etc. In a kart racer.

I actually agree with Jim.  sure he can be annoying but if I take a step back and breath I can see where he is coming from

Ok, first general ad is out in the wild from Nintendo of Germany

Will probably be a general EU ad. Very solid, basically a compressed version of the original reveal

People may have some major issues with the Switch, but I think we can all say that they've done a good job advertising it and explaining it's uses so far. No one is going to confuse this for a Wii add on or anything like that. The Wii U's failure was a harsh lesson, but I'm glad they've learned.

• Thumbs Up 2

My big problem with Mario Kart 8 is the lack of characters. I was hoping for at least a few more. If the online is good and Battle Mode is fun I might get it. But another row of characters and maybe two more cups would really sell it.

YOU GUYS

I HAD THE BIGGEST FLIPPING REVELATION OF WHAT MIGHT GO DO-.. *ahem* Might go down in the system's future, in terms of success or failure.

Okay, so this was born of a discussion of casual gamers, or rather the mass market, heading over to smartphones and tablets after the Wii, and why they'd never consider going back to Nintendo with the Switch in that they were a one time thing, especially with a price tag like that, when it's not even a premium product, and how it's outdated in terms of graphics.

I then went on to list why it actually is a premium product in more ways than one, (newest adapter format with new technology even at the cost of the price, screen type and quality, tech inside the system in terms of power and otherwise, and alleged overall build quality, all in that small of a device) but more importantly: The smartphone crowd practically lives on buying the most premium products first and foremost, regardless of their actual value. Just look at Apple products, Android flagships, and SKU price differences and popularity. Not to mention, they've been "bred" to consider buying a new device every two years as if it's a totally acceptable thing you do, what with them either becoming outdated and not supported, having their OS bloat from updates, or just the phone breaking.

If the Switch appeals to the smartphone crowd at all with it's portability and tablet-esque feel, I doubt they'll really mind buying a Switch at the price it's selling at, especially since it looks, feels, and is a pretty premium product in the first place. This isn't some overpriced toy anymore, it's a legitimate, cutting-edge tech toy that people might feel like putting some actual money into buying this time around, if the entertainment finds it valuable enough. And unlike the typical gamer crowd, they probably won't think much of "launch lineups" at all. Give them a game to have fun with their freinds with and show off the tech well enough, and good legacy titles, (Zelda and Mario Kart) and they'd be pretty much set from the start, with whatever else there is being a neat option to consider.

But the main thing to consider, is that a premium price doesn't seem to deter them anymore. In fact, if anything, it might draw them in, as the typical pricing models of everything competitive work. So they're not exactly a lost cause just yet.

Now whether their interest will find its way to the switch, we'll have to wait and see. It's a pretty good sign if the market is open to it, and it's a new and slick enough idea that it could attract the crowd that moved on in favor of portability and ease of access, but it's not exactly a lockdown of support exactly.

Then it hit me

"New, innovative, slick tech toy"

THE GENERAL CHRISTMAS CONSUMER

Holy SMOKES this one is practically in the bag already.

Okay, everyone has their own buying habits when it comes to Christmas. Some go big, others go cheap. Some buy toys, others make gifts. It's the nature of the individual. But one of the main facts when it comes to tech toys, is that premium and cool products nearly always sell more than you'd think, and more than their lower-priced, less feature driven competitors. Anki Overdrive, for example, went up against other AI-driven toy car race packs during christmas, and despite the others being cheaper by nearly a hundred dollars, they still sold much more than them. For three years straight, and as a successor to a previous toy, not just a one-off thing. And Cozmo, despite being a massive disappointment in the AI department for people like myself, still sold gangbusters compared to more "normal" yet new robots, all for the price of $249, for a tiny robot.

So they like premium, they like slick brands, and they like new tech and ideas. Well, what is the Nintendo Switch??? All of the above. And not only that, it crosses over into multiple demographics, from the social party gamer, to the phone and tech people, to the entertainment crowd. Pretty broad reach, all things considered.

So the system will be an established brand by then, everyone will know about it, it will have the biggest Zelda game since OoT, a bold new Mario game being pushed like crazy around that period of time, the definitive Mario Kart, Splatoon, and whatever else is on the system, plus 1, 2, Switch and whatever else may come out as crazy new social games to play, and it will all be on an incredibly new and accessible idea for a video game system, or even a piece of tech in general, with, we all gotta admit, has to be the slickest and most memorable branding choices in a looooooong time for the video game industry.

.... Am I crazy to think this system may have one of the biggest chances in video game console successes since the Wii? I mean that much of a potential audience is insane for a video game console, which has mostly stuck inside it's own gamer circle, perfectly content with it's established audience. I'd say it even eclipses the Wii; maybe not in terms of how appealing it is to everyone, but in how well it does in bringing new fans into the gaming circle. Let's be honest, video game consoles have always been a barrier into the culture; it's why smartphone gaming became such a hit instead. But if this can bridge the gap between the two based on novelty alone, rather than "THA POWERRRRRR" constantly being the reason you should own one... weeeeelllllllll....

Add on to that the fact that the handheld and niche developers are going to latch onto this like an octopus to it's prey, and the fact that the dedicated Nintendo fanbase who bought the 3DS will probably already buy it at some point, along with all the other pros of Nintendo combining their console divisions and the like...

WEEEELLLLLLLLLLL...

I'm confident enough that it will become a decent enough success by the time Christmas comes around now, at the very least. The new potential is exciting, but honestly I'm just glad I can breath easy knowing it's not doomed from the start with this kind of a price tag. Like, I've actually been distraught about all of this for the last few days, haha. So knowing what's at stake here with Nintendo's future, it's nice to know that there may be the biggest break possible for it in the coming year, and the price point isn't actually detrimental to it, if it doesn't help it outright. Could be wrong, and it will still turn into one, who knows. But at the very least, the potential is there; all Nintendo has to do is knock it out of the park in terms of advertisement with a clear, concise message about the system in order to sell people on it.

Which they have

And despite the presentation, still are

8T

It does make me worried about the price point for us gamers, though. When the tech finally advances far enough to make a $50-$100 amount of a difference, I had hoped Nintendo would drop it as soon as possible to make it as accessible as possible, but if it sees itself fitting in perfectly among other premium products for as long as it sells... well, that hope might just disappear. Tch.

Anyways, what do you all think? Anyone think there may be some potential behind it all, or am I just being naively optimistic/insane again?

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel a bit more optimistic about this one than Wii U. Given that there really ain't a handheld on the market with the power of this beast that is very exciting in its own right, especially when you can play a more advanced version of the latest Zelda on the go. 

Heck I'll be playing it in docked mode a lot too. Especially when there is family over to play mario kart or smash. 

But the ability to choose how I want to play my games is amazing. Even when playing it in a car. 

I do think Nintendo may have a winner here. Only doubts I have are the price and software lineup. Can't comment on online until I've seen more. Nintendo have been quite coy with that side of the new set up. Hope that delivers too.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, The Deleter said:

YOU GUYS

I HAD THE BIGGEST FLIPPING REVELATION OF WHAT MIGHT GO DO-.. *ahem* Might go down in the system's future, in terms of success or failure.

Okay, so this was born of a discussion of casual gamers, or rather the mass market, heading over to smartphones and tablets after the Wii, and why they'd never consider going back to Nintendo with the Switch in that they were a one time thing, especially with a price tag like that, when it's not even a premium product, and how it's outdated in terms of graphics.

I then went on to list why it actually is a premium product in more ways than one, (newest adapter format with new technology even at the cost of the price, screen type and quality, tech inside the system in terms of power and otherwise, and alleged overall build quality, all in that small of a device) but more importantly: The smartphone crowd practically lives on buying the most premium products first and foremost, regardless of their actual value. Just look at Apple products, Android flagships, and SKU price differences and popularity. Not to mention, they've been "bred" to consider buying a new device every two years as if it's a totally acceptable thing you do, what with them either becoming outdated and not supported, having their OS bloat from updates, or just the phone breaking.

If the Switch appeals to the smartphone crowd at all with it's portability and tablet-esque feel, I doubt they'll really mind buying a Switch at the price it's selling at, especially since it looks, feels, and is a pretty premium product in the first place. This isn't some overpriced toy anymore, it's a legitimate, cutting-edge tech toy that people might feel like putting some actual money into buying this time around, if the entertainment finds it valuable enough. And unlike the typical gamer crowd, they probably won't think much of "launch lineups" at all. Give them a game to have fun with their freinds with and show off the tech well enough, and good legacy titles, (Zelda and Mario Kart) and they'd be pretty much set from the start, with whatever else there is being a neat option to consider.

But the main thing to consider, is that a premium price doesn't seem to deter them anymore. In fact, if anything, it might draw them in, as the typical pricing models of everything competitive work. So they're not exactly a lost cause just yet.

Now whether their interest will find its way to the switch, we'll have to wait and see. It's a pretty good sign if the market is open to it, and it's a new and slick enough idea that it could attract the crowd that moved on in favor of portability and ease of access, but it's not exactly a lockdown of support exactly.

Then it hit me

"New, innovative, slick tech toy"

THE GENERAL CHRISTMAS CONSUMER

Holy SMOKES this one is practically in the bag already.

Okay, everyone has their own buying habits when it comes to Christmas. Some go big, others go cheap. Some buy toys, others make gifts. It's the nature of the individual. But one of the main facts when it comes to tech toys, is that premium and cool products nearly always sell more than you'd think, and more than their lower-priced, less feature driven competitors. Anki Overdrive, for example, went up against other AI-driven toy car race packs during christmas, and despite the others being cheaper by nearly a hundred dollars, they still sold much more than them. For three years straight, and as a successor to a previous toy, not just a one-off thing. And Cozmo, despite being a massive disappointment in the AI department for people like myself, still sold gangbusters compared to more "normal" yet new robots, all for the price of $249, for a tiny robot.

So they like premium, they like slick brands, and they like new tech and ideas. Well, what is the Nintendo Switch??? All of the above. And not only that, it crosses over into multiple demographics, from the social party gamer, to the phone and tech people, to the entertainment crowd. Pretty broad reach, all things considered.

So the system will be an established brand by then, everyone will know about it, it will have the biggest Zelda game since OoT, a bold new Mario game being pushed like crazy around that period of time, the definitive Mario Kart, Splatoon, and whatever else is on the system, plus 1, 2, Switch and whatever else may come out as crazy new social games to play, and it will all be on an incredibly new and accessible idea for a video game system, or even a piece of tech in general, with, we all gotta admit, has to be the slickest and most memorable branding choices in a looooooong time for the video game industry.

.... Am I crazy to think this system may have one of the biggest chances in video game console successes since the Wii? I mean that much of a potential audience is insane for a video game console, which has mostly stuck inside it's own gamer circle, perfectly content with it's established audience. I'd say it even eclipses the Wii; maybe not in terms of how appealing it is to everyone, but in how well it does in bringing new fans into the gaming circle. Let's be honest, video game consoles have always been a barrier into the culture; it's why smartphone gaming became such a hit instead. But if this can bridge the gap between the two based on novelty alone, rather than "THA POWERRRRRR" constantly being the reason you should own one... weeeeelllllllll....

Add on to that the fact that the handheld and niche developers are going to latch onto this like an octopus to it's prey, and the fact that the dedicated Nintendo fanbase who bought the 3DS will probably already buy it at some point, along with all the other pros of Nintendo combining their console divisions and the like...

WEEEELLLLLLLLLLL...

I'm confident enough that it will become a decent enough success by the time Christmas comes around now, at the very least. The new potential is exciting, but honestly I'm just glad I can breath easy knowing it's not doomed from the start with this kind of a price tag. Like, I've actually been distraught about all of this for the last few days, haha. So knowing what's at stake here with Nintendo's future, it's nice to know that there may be the biggest break possible for it in the coming year, and the price point isn't actually detrimental to it, if it doesn't help it outright. Could be wrong, and it will still turn into one, who knows. But at the very least, the potential is there; all Nintendo has to do is knock it out of the park in terms of advertisement with a clear, concise message about the system in order to sell people on it.

Which they have

And despite the presentation, still are

8T

It does make me worried about the price point for us gamers, though. When the tech finally advances far enough to make a $50-$100 amount of a difference, I had hoped Nintendo would drop it as soon as possible to make it as accessible as possible, but if it sees itself fitting in perfectly among other premium products for as long as it sells... well, that hope might just disappear. Tch.

Anyways, what do you all think? Anyone think there may be some potential behind it all, or am I just being naively optimistic/insane again?

Personally, I think this is one of the most logical, well thought out, well reasoned posts I've seen in on this site. Kudos. You raise many interesting points. Firstly, this isn't a novelty that wears out it's welcome, like the motion control of the Wii, this isn't a simple gimmick, this is a hybrid. It's both a console and portable in one. Something of this magnitude has not been done before. This is what the Wii U should have been. It has enormous potential. The biggest advantage this system has over Sony and Microsoft's systems is it's portable mode, it's something neither system can offer and Nintendo needs to emphasise that point. Say what you will about the presentation, but Nintendo's messaging has been on point. They've kept it simple, short and concise. "See this beautiful, huge Zelda game on your console? You can take it on the go with you." has been their key example so far, and that needs to continue. As we've seen with 3DS and PS4, a weak launch isn't preferable, but not by any means a killer. Momentum is what's important, and so far, 2017 is looking good for them. One of their biggest sellers, Mario Kart, is coming a month after launch, Arms close after, and Splatoon not long after that. And that's just what we know about. E3 will most certainly lay out 2017 and 2018 for them, but the holiday season is going to be the "true" launch. It's when parents are ready to buy their kids all of the new gadgets coming out that year. And the Switch having a sleek, modern design was a very smart move. Mario is certainly going to be a HUGE hit, but if Smash and Pokemon are also coming this holiday, as rumored, I absolutely believe this thing will fly off of shelves. Those 3 core franchises appeal to everyone and having those during Switch's first holiday would be a HUGE win for them. The 3DS is also on it's way out, with developers now working on one system and one system only, droughts will become nonexistent, we could potentially have a new Nintendo developed game every month or so. Now, there are many things that can go wrong, but so far, their messaging and marketing has been excellent, they learned a lot from the Wii U's failure and I'm glad they've acknowledged that. What will really sell this baby will be a Super Bowl ad. That needs to happen and it needs to be a priority. I'm way more optimistic about Switch than i ever was with the Wii and Wii U. I'm hoping very much that it succeeds. A successful Nintendo is good for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, something that has me curious and suspicious is a couple of third party game that have no reason at all for skipping out, but haven't been announced yet, although there is some explanation:

Tekken 7: Hasn't been officially announced for any platform, but Namco's a major Nintendo supporter, and so is Harada, heck he made pokken Tournament. I totally expect to see it announced when the release date is

UMVC3: Capcom's willing to do a completely new version of SF2 with a bunch of all new modes to the game, and new netcode, yet are unwilling to port a older game the system can handle that'd have a great market, that previously even ported to Vita? Personally still expect to see this one, since it's actual release date in March for XBONE/PC still hasn't been announced, and that's also the physical release. I literally see no reason it wouldn't come. Would also be a nice addition to the launch lineup

And well those are the main 2 I can think of... then again I can't say we've seen any Capcom games other than USF2 announced have we? well wait and see I guess