Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

On 1/16/2017 at 1:45 AM, The Deleter said:

Edit: Oh, also, Reggie pretty much confirmed that Smash Bros would be headed towards the Switch in this interview.

Unsurprising, but still, good to have conformation of some sort.

Welp,  unless that Smash game is something that can really top the 4th already on Wii U, I'll stick with the online free version,  thank you very much. 

Smash is a personal system seller for me, that will push me to get a Switch in a hurry. Given how persistent the rumors are about it basically being Smash 4 with more characters, modes and content, I'm sold.  

14 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Smash is a personal system seller for me, that will push me to get a Switch in a hurry. Given how persistent the rumors are about it basically being Smash 4 with more characters, modes and content, I'm sold.  

If that's the case and it turns out to be worth it, it might be a sell for me too.

AND those modes better include a story mode that involves ALL the, characters. 

Smash is one reason I got a wii but honest truth I only bought a total of 9 wii games in its lifespan. The gimmick of motion controls was fun for the first few months but died off fast I really hope the switch can keep me hooked for a good bit. Regardless I'm glad I got one pre-ordered

43 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

If that's the case and it turns out to be worth it, it might be a sell for me too.

AND those modes better include a story mode that involves ALL the, characters. 

I'm 100% down with that. New characters is what I want the most, but I would love a Subspace Emissary that's actually good this time. Get rid of Smash Party or whatever that garbage was.

If you were the kind to use your Wii U for multimedia functions, you appear to be out of luck, the Switch won't have "many" multimedia functions at launch.

The Switch isn't going to replace your iPad — it's a dedicated gaming machine to the point where it won't have many multimedia functions at launch, Nintendo's Kit Ellis told me. Don't plan to watch Netflix on the Switch, for instance.

That implies that it will have them at a later date. Though I don't really expect it to have much more than Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll.

The Switch is exactly what I wanted from Nintendo's next console. A Wii U I can haul into work with me and goof around on during my breaks, or on trips. 300 bucks seems like a bit much, but not so much that I wouldn't be willing to pay.

But this thing went from a pre-order to "eh I'm gonna wait for a bundle or revision" real quick. The software just isn't there. Breath of the Wild seems cool, but I've never been passionate enough about Zelda that I need to have it day one. Mario Odyssey's art style just looks gross to me. 1, 2, Switch seems kinda funny, but for as stupid as I am with my money I cannot conceive of a future where I actually walk into a store and buy that thing. ARMS and Splatoon 2 are about the only things I'm looking at that I really would like to get my hands on.

Also what the hell is up with the price tag on the Joy-Cons, holy moley!

2 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Also what the hell is up with the price tag on the Joy-Cons, holy moley!

The kind of tech they put into them is really expensive.

The advanced technology that keeps those ice cubes from melting would obviously be expensive.

Seriously though, and on that note--I like the basic premise of the Switch a lot, but I could do without the fancy stuff in the Joy-Cons. I don't mind all that ~advanced tech~ being there in and of itself, I just don't expect it to add much to anything outside of games based on those features, like 1-2 Switch. And if there's any truth to that stuff bumping up the price, well...that's just great, huh? :V

• Thumbs Up 8

Again, you gotta rationalize the Joy-con pair as the two controllers they are rather than as one. Then look at comparitive pricing(wii-mote is $40 with far less functionallity in both controls and features, and the joy=cons have rechargable batteries), and then you realize you're paying $40 a controller, or rather $80 for a single standard controller(you don't have to have the grip to use it as a standard controller) that's also a set of motion controls, that are also a pair of multiplayer controllers

Also in regards to the dock, that's not Nintendo's fault, USB-C is expensive and hasn't ironed out cheap mass production yet. Everybody was wanting them to go modern, there is a cost

8 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

The kind of tech they put into them is really expensive.

Its the Nintendo touch + Nvidia tax baby

First Nintendo switch game with touch controls announced... and it's Rayman

http://gonintendo.com/stories/272202-rayman-legends-definitive-edition-details-on-what-s-new?page=1#comment-112757

Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition - details on what's new

18 January, 2017 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 10

rayman1280jpg-e93ed3_1280w.jpg

- wireless local multiplayer for up to 4 players
- includes Kung Foot mini-game

“Rayman Legends takes full advantage of the Nintendo Switch and its new controllers capabilities. Undock your Switch device and use the touch screen to take out enemies, manipulate platforms, cut ropes to clear a path and much more. With the gyroscope technology, you can move rotating platform and there are many more surprises to come!”

This info came from the official Ubisoft page for the game, but Ubisoft has since removed the information.

Apparently matchmaking will be handled via the phone app.

Can Nintendo just... Stop? What kind of nonsense is that? Even I can't defend this choice.

Matchmaking, lobbies and voice chat are handled through the app due to the portable aspect. 

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/#.WIAQ3fL9Zwg.twitter

On the one hand, this is an interesting way of handling online play on the go. On the other hand, not everyone has a smartphone, do they should probably work something out for those people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

Oh give me a fucking break. At least a pair of headphones with an attached mic is hands free once you've got it on your head - how the hell do they expect people to do double duty with a Switch and a smartphone while they're playing?

4798049540_6bd69646f4.jpg

Like am I supposed to be holding it like this the entire time? Holy shit, how did this not cross Ninty's mind at any point? It's just fucking mind boggling.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Oh give me a fucking break. At least a pair of headphones with an attached mic is hands free once you've got it on your head - how the hell do they expect people to do double duty with a Switch and a smartphone while they're playing?

4798049540_6bd69646f4.jpg

Like am I supposed to be holding it like this the entire time? Holy shit, how did this not cross Ninty's mind at any point? It's just fucking mind boggling.

I assume they expect people to use speaker phone which would be really awkward if you were some place with complete strangers.

1 hour ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Matchmaking, lobbies and voice chat are handled through the app due to the portable aspect. 

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/#.WIAQ3fL9Zwg.twitter

On the one hand, this is an interesting way of handling online play on the go. On the other hand, not everyone has a smartphone, do they should probably work something out for those people. 

Some would say it's visionary. It's a completely new concept, and a way to refine it outside of the limitations Personally, I don't think they'll ditch everything in-game. and I hope they don't, I don't have a smart phone

It's downright bizarre that they're connecting so much to the smartphone app. I seriously doubt people won't be able to play online without it, that'd be idiotic.

or I don't know, you could use your bluetooth headset that's compatible with you headset instead of using propierity tech that you can only use with the system, remember how the 360 had a locked headphone jack you could only used licensed sets on.