Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

I don't see myself bothering with the app. It's unlikely I'll be taking my Switch, whenever I get it, out of the house, and I don't really care to fiddle with my phone for things I can just as easily do on my computer when I'm home. It does sound like the app is meant as a supplement rather than a necessity (or at least I'm hoping so), so I don't really care about it. I think it's fine for it to be used for matchmaking/appointments with friends, but I do find it a little odd communications like voice chat are also handled through it. Why isn't this directly integrated into the system? I mean, the Wii U Gamepad and the entire DS/3DS line had microphones, why wasn't the Switch designed with one as well? I may not ever use those things, but it really makes no sense to tie this sort of thing to a separate device and sounds like more of an inconvenience than anything, to me.

21 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I don't see myself bothering with the app. It's unlikely I'll be taking my Switch, whenever I get it, out of the house, and I don't really care to fiddle with my phone for things I can just as easily do on my computer when I'm home. It does sound like the app is meant as a supplement rather than a necessity (or at least I'm hoping so), so I don't really care about it. I think it's fine for it to be used for matchmaking/appointments with friends, but I do find it a little odd communications like voice chat are also handled through it. Why isn't this directly integrated into the system? I mean, the Wii U Gamepad and the entire DS/3DS line had microphones, why wasn't the Switch designed with one as well? I may not ever use those things, but it really makes no sense to tie this sort of thing to a separate device and sounds like more of an inconvenience than anything, to me.

I know I said I'll wait to see how Switch's online functions before proper judgment, but it is really baffling just looking at the Switch's UI and how easily you can set up online/social features on it they relegated it to a separate smartphone application...

I don't understand how a company can be so clueless.

Please, tell me Nintendo. How is restricting voice chat and fucking matchmaking, two standards of the industry, to a phone app better than the competition. How does this enhance my Nintendo Switch experience?

They are so damn out of touch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would guess this is another decision that likely makes more sense for a japanese audience given how much more they love mobile gaming (Which I imagine is the inspiration behind the console/handheld hybrid) than in the States.

I can't say I'm really impressed so far though - I need more than Mario and Zelda. Maybe another major Metroid title might do it for me, but we know exactly how much Nintendo loves Metroid these days, so my hopes aren't up.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/17/2017 at 7:26 AM, Mark1 said:

I feel a bit more optimistic about this one than Wii U. Given that there really ain't a handheld on the market with the power of this beast that is very exciting in its own right, especially when you can play a more advanced version of the latest Zelda on the go. 

Heck I'll be playing it in docked mode a lot too. Especially when there is family over to play mario kart or smash. 

But the ability to choose how I want to play my games is amazing. Even when playing it in a car. 

I do think Nintendo may have a winner here. Only doubts I have are the price and software lineup. Can't comment on online until I've seen more. Nintendo have been quite coy with that side of the new set up. Hope that delivers too.

I'm optimistic about it. For me, the price isn't the problem, its the lack of a pack-in and the accessory price. I'm not worried about games, I know we'll be seeing plenty. SLIGHTLY worried about third-party support.

I'm slightly optimistic about the possibility of VC being transferable. If they do that and port all notable Wii U titles to Switch, I might actually consider trading in my Wii U. I'd need at least DKC: TF (I do expect this given what happened with Returns, and how TF's sales could've been so much better if it was released at a better time and/or on a better console), TP HD/WW HD, and of course a VC transfer option for me to consider selling my Wii U, though. (I've got a ton of Wii U VC games.)

7 hours ago, God Eater Lenka said:

Apparently matchmaking will be handled via the phone app.

Can Nintendo just... Stop? What kind of nonsense is that? Even I can't defend this choice.

Based on what I heard about it, it only sounded like you can schedule matches with friends via Mobile. Obviously its going to be on the system itself as well. Given Mario Kart's release date and the release date of the app, it has to be.

That's what I got out of it, in any case.

5 hours ago, Toa Axis said:

I don't understand how a company can be so clueless.

Please, tell me Nintendo. How is restricting voice chat and fucking matchmaking, two standards of the industry, to a phone app better than the competition. How does this enhance my Nintendo Switch experience?

They are so damn out of touch.

this.

also the pricing for a device that can't even handle full HD..IN 2017!

Nintendo is becoming the Apple of video game companies. you have to pay extra for everything (f.e. the ethernet device has to be bought seperately - AGAIN!)

Honestly, I hofe nintendo fails hard. they should stick to software, like sega does. this is simply unbelievable.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, FReaK said:

Nintendo is becoming the Apple of video game companies. you have to pay extra for everything (f.e. the ethernet device has to be bought seperately - AGAIN!)

Honestly, I hofe nintendo fails hard. they should stick to software, like sega does. this is simply unbelievable.

Well, the price isn't terribly outrageous, but I can see the problem. Idk where you got this "full HD" problem from, probably only because Zelda is 900p and didn't decide to look further into your statement since Mario Kart is 1080p.

The Apple comparison is slightly out of touch because Nintendo isn't using proprietary charging, storage/memory and doesn't need Bluetooth headphones for a start. Obviously, the ethernet is a problem, and let's NOT get into how laughably overpriced the accessories are for now. But I think to say they're akin to Apple is slight hyperbole.

And, do you really? Or do you just want them to fix up on their hardware problems? Not that I have a problem with Nintendo going 3rd party, but so say that you hope they fail and fuck off, rather than fix the issues they have is kind of short-sighted.

• Thumbs Up 6

Even the Xbone doesn't hit 1080p consistently, so let's not pretend that's somehow the bare minimum needed to compete on the modern console market - it's a case by case deal, always has been and always will be. Developers of some games would rather take a resolution hit than a framerate hit, and I think I know which one I'd rather have personally.

...is 900p even a particularly notable downgrade from 1080p? Serious question, I haven't had time to compare.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, FReaK said:

this.

"Full HD"? What does this even mean? You do know most PS4 and XB1 games have trouble even running in 1080p/60 FPS, right?

Paying extra for everything? You know you have to do that (games, controllers, accessories) for literally every console in existence, right?

People "hoping" Nintendo fails should know how catastrophic that would be for the industry. 

Like, I share a majority of people's concerns, but some people around the web (i.e. morons on places like Neogaf and Youtube) really, desperately need to chill the fuck out with the reactionary responses.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think an app for voice chat / matchmaking is a good (and interesting) idea, but it should probably be an alternative option instead of, well, the only option. I guess everyone has a smartphone these days....except I'm actually an exception to that, so uh. Awkward.

• Thumbs Up 6

48 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

That's like asking was 480 a downgrade from 720. To some they may not see anything but there is a difference

But is it truly as noticeable either?

Logically speaking, the answer there would be a blatant NO.

Impressions generally agree that the Switch's screen is amazing, perhaps as good or even better than the Vita's, and roughly the right size that's perfect for a 720p screen, so playing 720p in undocked mode is gonna look quite nice on it anyway.

45 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

That's like asking was 480 a downgrade from 720. To some they may not see anything but there is a difference

No, it's not, lmao, 480 to 720 is a markedly noticeable difference compared to 900 to 1080. Not even close.

• Thumbs Up 8

I can assure you 900p is not icicle depends on TV your running. I got a 60 inch 4k 120 htz very noticeable graphic detail looking at 900p. It's fair to defend it all you want. Not bashing it. Just saying there is a difference

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

"Full HD"? What does this even mean? You do know most PS4 and XB1 games have trouble even running in 1080p/60 FPS, right?

Paying extra for everything? You know you have to do that (games, controllers, accessories) for literally every console in existence, right?

People "hoping" Nintendo fails should know how catastrophic that would be for the industry. 

Like, I share a majority of people's concerns, but some people around the web really, desperately need to chill out with the reactionary responses.

I got to ask how would them failing effect the industry. What proof is there it would.  regardless I look forward to playing mine

1 hour ago, Athena Cykes said:

No, it's not, lmao, 480 to 720 is a markedly noticeable difference compared to 900 to 1080. Not even close.

Even then, i personally don't care. ANY game can be beautiful if the art style is well done. It's not about the graphical capability, It's how you use it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh don't use that old excuse. Graphics can make a game look amazing. Art style like lost planet ex it is one thing you need that. But graphics help if they did not matter then way bother to improve them each console generation? Logically companies want Thier games to look pretty.

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I can assure you 900p is not icicle depends on TV your running. I got a 60 inch 4k 120 htz very noticeable graphic detail looking at 900p. It's fair to defend it all you want. Not bashing it. Just saying there is a difference

I got to ask how would them failing effect the industry. What proof is there it would.  regardless I look forward to playing mine

Nintendo, regardless of what people may think of their business practices, are the innovators of the industry. They're the Disney of video games. So many things that games nowadays feature started there.  Let's go down the list of achievements:

-Saving the American video game market, after Atari mucked it up for everyone with near endless shovelware.

-The creation of the modern platformer and the adventure game with Mario and Zelda.

-The D Pad.

-The SNES controller, the first controller to have X and Y buttons as well as L/R triggers.

-The N64 controller, the first to feature a control stick and rumble.

-The first polgyonal game on a console, Star Fox.

-F-Zero and Pilot Wings, first games to have full 360 degree sprite rotation, called Mode 7.

The very first full 3D game, Super Mario 64, also featured what would become known as the "camera", seen in literally every game today.

Donkey Kong Country, the first game with pre rendered graphics.

The guy you saw in Joycon portion on the presentation? Created Z Targeting, seen in literally every 3D game today in some form.

Wii, first video game system to feature a motion controller.

I know there's many more I'm missing but the point is that Nintendo has innovated and changed the game for nearly 40 years. Losing them would be the biggest blow the industry will ever get. This site, "The Sonic Stadium", wouldn't even exist without them. No Mario? Then that means no Sonic. Some people may not like Nintendo, but they would be foolish not to respect what they've done for the industry.

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Oh don't use that old excuse. Graphics can make a game look amazing. Art style like lost planet ex it is one thing you need that. But graphics help if they did not matter then way bother to improve them each console generation? Logically companies want Thier games to look pretty.

Except, no one is saying graphics don't matter. A "weak" console can make beautiful looking games just as well. Just look at the SNES, some of those games still look amazing to this day.

As most people have expected within the past few weeks and months, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the last hurrah for the Nintendo Wii U. Meaning that "from a first-party standpoint, there's no new development coming after the launch of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild".

Not even four-and-a-half years after launch, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be the final first-party title to come to the system.

This was confirmed by Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, who spoke to Polygon following the Switch launch event in New York City Friday.

“From a first-party standpoint, there's no new development coming after the launch of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” he said. “We really are at the end of life for Wii U.”

Fils-Aime said that Wii U titles will continue to be sold at retail and on the Nintendo eShop, and the company had not begun any discussion for sunsetting online services for the console.

“From our standpoint, sunsetting is quite some time into the future. The ongoing activity from an online standpoint on [Mario] Kart and Splatoon is significant. We're going to continue to support that.”

As a small retrospective, let's look at the top selling Wii U games as of September.

1. Mario Kart 8 (8 million)
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U (5.45 million)
  3. Super Mario 3D World (5.19 million)
  4. Nintendo Land (5.13 million)
  5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (4.99 million)
  6. Splatoon (4.57 million)
  7. Super Mario Maker (3.73 million)
  8. New Super Luigi U (2.74 million)
  9. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (1.98 million)
  10. Mario Party 10 (1.94 million)

Do you guys expect Breath of the Wild to crack that top 10?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's fairly possible. I don't know the stats of other initial Zelda releases though so I'm not sure it'll beat Smash... Well, if more people buy a Switch it probably will.

I honestly don't know anything about sales I'm just kind of rambling off thoughts whoops

8 minutes ago, Athena Cykes said:

As most people have expected within the past few weeks and months, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the last hurrah for the Nintendo Wii U. Meaning, "there's no new development coming after the launch of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild".

As a small retrospective, let's look at the top selling Wii U games as of September.

1. Mario Kart 8 (8 million)
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U (5.45 million)
  3. Super Mario 3D World (5.19 million)
  4. Nintendo Land (5.13 million)
  5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (4.99 million)
  6. Splatoon (4.57 million)
  7. Super Mario Maker (3.73 million)
  8. New Super Luigi U (2.74 million)
  9. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (1.98 million)
  10. Mario Party 10 (1.94 million)

Do you guys expect Breath of the Wild to crack that top 10?

If Nintendo markets it well, then yes, I can see it cracking a million, at least. But still, the attach rate on Mario Kart 8 is insane. Splatoon did crazy good numbers for a new IP on a practically dead console. Smash absolutely deserves to do better, here's hoping that Switch port is an even bigger seller.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-16-nintendo-switch-games-confirmed-games-list-launch-titles?utm_source=eurogamer&utm_medium=header-promo&utm_campaign=Every+confirmed+game+for+Nintendo+Switch

Eurorgamer is apparently still very adamant that Pokemon Stars is happening and that it'll be released during the holidays alongside Mario.

WGQLhXm.jpg