Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

35 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Tantalus is porting Sonic Mania? That's odd.

Not that odd, considering Taxman is also a developer from Australia.  I'm guessing they just couldn't develop another version this far into development so they enlisted the help of some fellow Aussies at Tantalus.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, and let's consider that Tantalus had now reached a kind of fame when it comes to porting. I mean, Nintendo had them do Twilight Princess HD.

• Thumbs Up 2

Most digital-only games aren't gonna be massive, though, and I imagine Switch devs are gonna be more focused on compressing assets. Games these days are horrendously bloated with uncompressed assets because HDDs have given devs a reason to be lazy.

Besides, MicroSDs should suffice for extra storage.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Candescence said:

Most digital-only games aren't gonna be massive, though, and I imagine Switch devs are gonna be more focused on compressing assets. Games these days are horrendously bloated with uncompressed assets because HDDs have given devs a reason to be lazy.

Besides, MicroSDs should suffice for extra storage.

Exactly. This also means we won't have to wait for ages because of installs and patches like on PS4, that shit pisses me off.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Exactly. This also means we won't have to wait for ages because of installs and patches like on PS4, that shit pisses me off.

Switch games will get patches.

I cannot say that commercial is innacurate, odds are many people will take games like Zelda, Mario Kart & Splatoon with them everywhere, even the bathroom. XD

Also glad that LEGO Worlds is getting a Switch release, was a huge LEGO addict as a kid, will look forward to building lots of crazy random stuff once it comes out!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I misspoke. I meant load times will be nonexistent due to the cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I misspoke. I meant load times will be nonexistent due to the cards.

This is still fairly incorrect, carts can still have very long load times.

2 minutes ago, Athena Cykes said:

This is still fairly incorrect, carts can still have very long load times.

Actually, that was from the demo on harddrive, which is effected by CPU speeds, but it's not really relevant to this example. Also 3DS carts are read/write, Switch carts are read only, which are much faster

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Actually, that was from the demo on harddrive, which is effected by CPU speeds, but it's not really relevant to this example. Also 3DS carts are read/write, Switch carts are read only, which are much faster

Exactly what I gonna say, I've been told games should have next to no load times.

Nintendo's Switch marketing has been incredibly on point, but absolute proof that they've learned would be a Super Bowl ad. That needs to happen. Hundreds of millions of people will be watching that game around the world. Super Bowl ads are usually announced the week of the big game so I'm hoping we get one next week. If Pokemon can get one, I don't see why their brand new console can't. All they need is a minute to get their message across.

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

They'll get patches (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but this most likely won't be tagged along with installing the game to the system itself too unless its for a particularly larger game like breath of the wild so its not going to be as bad as the PS4 for instance where you not only have to install the game itself but also wait for all the patches and junk to get downloaded with it (particularly frustrating with online heavy games).

• Thumbs Up 2

Very good interview

Also confirms they personally chose to wait on the VC reveal, linking system history online was intentional, and they've heard the complaints, and have a careful planned reveal for it

I'll be trying out the Switch at PAX South tomorrow. If anyone has any questions or requests, be sure to let me know.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are going to be load times on carts make no mistake. The difference is that the load times will be at most under 10 seconds as its reading from a non-moving part.

I'm at PAX now, and the lines to play Zelda, Arms, Bomberman, Mario Kart and Splatoon are fucking ridiculous. I'm going in on Bomberman first. This place is slammed.

• Thumbs Up 3

Had a long day at PAX and another day is ahead, but I'll write up my impressions so far.

These lines were fucking long. I've never seen anything like it. I talked to a number of people who weren't gamers previously, be extremely excited about getting their hands on this thing, some people I played games with said they came to PAX just to play the Switch. 

The Switch itself: I don't even know where to begin with this thing. It felt so....exhilarating to hold. There's something that feels so sleek about it, it's well made and it's nothing like the clunky hardware Nintendo has had with the past two generations. This feels like what the Game Boy would have become if the line had continued. The screen is absolutely beautiful, the games look and play fantastically on it. It's just about as sleek and responsive as an IPhone 7. It looks like a crazy cool, new piece of tech. And I can easily see kids going nuts for this.

The Joycons: Using the Joycons atrached to the grip felt just like Nintendo's controllers always do, well made, comfortable and ergonomic. I say it felt most similar to the GameCube controller to me, and that is HUGE plus in my opinion, the GCN controller is the best video game controller of all time in my opinion. It looks uncomfortable from pictures, but It's something you need to feel, rather than see.

I'll be posting more impressions throughout the day.

• Thumbs Up 3

Super Bomberman R Impressions:

I loved what i saw of it. It looks to be running on an improved engine they used for the XBLA titles back in the day. The music is also very Bombermanish, with bouncy tunes, just like I remember, no idea who is composing though. Gameplay wise, I'd say it's most similar to Bonmberman '93 and Saturn Bomberman. If you've played any Bomberman game from the 90s', you'll have no problem hopping in. Yesterday, I played it with four players, but today I got to play it with 8 players and it was fucking bonkers. Everyone was laughing, chaos ensued and it was a great time. There's a ton of multiplayer levels as well. I will say, if you aren't paying attention, it's very easy to get lost, so keep a sharp eye on your Bomber. I say this is going to be well worth the $50 asking price, if my time with it is any indication. Hyped!

• Thumbs Up 3

Working on a full writeup of impressions.  In the meantime:

nintendo1stpartyreleai0k6u.jpg

There's an official first party lineup once again. Nintendo is having an investor's meeting tonight, so there may be more news around then.

I thought the meeting already happened. I heard hours ago about them confirming they had ramped production on the Switch and that preorder numbers were very good. Was that the investors meeting and the corporate strategy meeting is a separate thing?