Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

So they did do a Super Bowl commercial. Nice.

I don't see what argument everyone is making about the 3DS anyway. There's like 4-5 games Nintendo is producing for it this year. Maybe 1-3 more will be announced. They ARE focusing everything on the Switch. They've just got a few games on 3DS and that's it. Fire Emblem Warriors barely even counts considering its new 3DS exclusive.

So online is only around $2 a month? Hot dang. Hope NoA has the price be around the same!

That's a noble price, but I still feel as if I'm getting better bang for my buck with a service like PlayStation plus. Especially since online play is more reliable with them. Still though, good to hear it's not super high. Still eh on the content received, but the price at least isn't crazy.

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

The Wii/DS combo both selled incredibly well so...???

The Wii and DS are severe outliers in most data sets. Add in examples like the GameCube and that becomes extremely clear. The Wii and DS held their own on the base of their respective gimmicks to casual consumers straight up. They were doing something so out of left field back then that not much really mattered. That's not the case now. The Switch is a tablet and everyone knows it.

I really don't get the correlation here and how it's some how the 3DS' fault the Wii U tanked , nor the idea that the 3DS' successes somehow means it was harmful to Nintendo and should something gotten rid of, or releasing a game or two for it every now and somehow translates to directly hurting the Switch 

I'm not saying it was strictly the 3DS' fault. It was in its own era and category. I'm just saying that the Wii U software lineup was laughably bad for the bulk of its lifespan. Now that the Switch crosses over into the handheld market, Nintendo would be competing with themselves if they were to keep providing killer apps for the 3DS. The Switch means that we could, potentially, have that combined lineup that a double system setup would have on one unit. Making for a much stronger release schedule in every right.

It... Really doesn't. Switch is still the clearly superior hardware with a unique gimmick, I don't see how anyone would pick a 3DS potentially over it unless they weren't interested in the Switch to begin with. And you severely underestimate Nintendo's developers if you think they'd be spread that thin that you believe there isn't enough people to make games for both systems just fine. 

If there's one thing I know not to do it's to underestimate Nintendo's developers. Their ability to optimize code for severely underpowered hardware is something that just doesn't get enough credit. Though, I do question their ability to release a steady line of hardware across two systems. This is by experience. Yes, it can and has worked for a couple of periods at a time but there have been just as many (if not more) instances where one system ends up getting nothing for a while due to it. Even the Wii suffered from it during the later years of its life.

I dunno they seemed to have done it fine before. NSMB didn't convince people it was preferable over Galaxy 

Not necessarily. Those are games from two different types of platforms (handheld and console). Now we have the 3DS (handheld) and the Switch (handheld with a hdmi output). A more exact example would be if Nintendo continued to have released games for for the Wii after the Wii U was released. In all likelihood, the Wii U probably would have done worse than it already did.

@JoshCompeting with yourself in the same market isn't really wise either. I'm just saying that they should treat it like every other hardware launch. Move all the development to the new piece and move on.

38 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Here we go. Just in: Nintendo president Kimishima tells the Nikkei Switch's online service will be priced at 2-3,000 yen ($17.50 - $26.50) *YEARLY*.

https://mobile.twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826841955111890944

https://mobile.twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826842277435760640

That is totally doable. I can live with that.

It's better than $60, but I still feel it's too much for what is being offered.

And are they mentioning two prices because they haven't decided or because there will be tiers?

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

That's a noble price, but I still feel as if I'm getting better bang for my buck with a service like PlayStation plus. Especially since online play is more reliable with them. Still though, good to hear it's not super high. Still eh on the content received, but the price at least isn't crazy.

To be fair, not all of the features have been announced yet, I'm personally going to wait to see what they offer in full before making a conclusion. It can go either way.

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

And are they mentioning two prices because they haven't decided or because there will be tiers?

That's what I'm assuming. If the extra perks are good, I'll consider paying a couple more dollars.

On 1/18/2017 at 8:44 PM, MegasonicZX said:

Quote artifact on mobile :S

So it turns out that VR compatability for the Switch is currently in the works...

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826842861878468608

Not fully confirmed to happen just yet, but considering how they already have a HMD patented for the system...

Screen_Shot_2016_12_15_at_11.46.56_AM.pn

And how the joycon gimmicks fit the bill for VR so well, especially with the ir camera facing towards your body, I'd say it's a more likely scenario than the Wii U's dual gamepad ideas ended up being...

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Here we go. Just in: Nintendo president Kimishima tells the Nikkei Switch's online service will be priced at 2-3,000 yen ($17.50 - $26.50) *YEARLY*.

https://mobile.twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826841955111890944

https://mobile.twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826842277435760640

That is totally doable. I can live with that.

Alright, now this feels more justifiable along with the NES/SNES Game Per month (w/ Online multiplayer too). The online price pretty much PSN/XBL prices cut in half with tiers. I just hope that down the line we will get more options like N64, Gamecube, or other systems.

Edited by AxelPrime

I still think that Smash Bros should've been a launch title, as I know a lot of people who refused to buy the system because Smash isn't on it yet. Hopefully they'll announce it at E3 this year; Otherwise, I see a lot of people flat out not caring about the system (I live on a college campus, where Smash is basically the only game for the Wii U in most people's eyes).

That's a pretty extreme view of things, but its true at least for my immediate area.

1 hour ago, Strickerx5 said:

@JoshCompeting with yourself in the same market isn't really wise either. I'm just saying that they should treat it like every other hardware launch. Move all the development to the new piece and move on.

Sony swore up and down they would keep supporting the PS3. These kind of statements are normal and not indicative of much.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Soniman said:

I dunno they seemed to have done it fine before. NSMB didn't convince people it was preferable over Galaxy 

Apologies since I haven't fully read the ongoing argument you and Strickerx5 have, so I may be misinterpreting what you said.

But if you're referring NSMB Wii, that game (29m) massively outsold both Galaxy 1 (12m) and Galaxy 2 (6m). Sales of both Galaxy games combined only make up two-thirds of NSMB Wii's total sales.

As for the online subscription price...meh.  I'll give them a few crumbs of credit in that the subscription will apparently be considerably less than what I was expecting them to charge ($50/$60 a year, a la PS Plus/XBL Gold). But I'm still not happy online multiplayer has been paywalled in the first place. 

That and we still have yet to see whether the new online service is up to scratch as it is, let alone (IMO) not doubt it will be, based on their history with online services. As of now I'm only expecting at best a polished variant of what they had with the Wii U that's still behind what PSN and XBL offers. They might prove me wrong when the service actually launches, but otherwise I'm remaining skeptical.

Moreover, it's worth noting that Sony raised the price of PS Plus not long after they added online play to it, and prior to that MS also raised the price of XBL as well. How long until Nintendo follows suit, and what initially costs half the price of the competition changes to two-thirds of the price? Irregardless of supposed value proposition to what others are offering? Will what the service offers at that point justify a price hike?...

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Sony swore up and down they would keep supporting the PS3. These kind of statements are normal and not indicative of much.

I know XD. Though, my original post was just me trying to figure out the mindset of people who want to keep the 3DS relevant. That and Nintendo's comments just don't make much sense from a business standpoint at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

Apologies since I haven't fully read the ongoing argument you and Strickerx5 have, so I may be misinterpreting what you said.

But if you're referring NSMB Wii, that game (29m) massively outsold both Galaxy 1 (12m) and Galaxy 2 (6m). Sales of both Galaxy games combined only make up two-thirds of NSMB Wii's total sales.

I meant DS, since the argument was comparing consoles and handhelds :P

60 a year for a service that gives me around 4 games a month regardless if a few are indie is not that bad. If nintendos is cheaper that is good but with what they offer noting really sticks out.. the worse being the game "rentals" a month. Still it was only a matter of time till they joined the paid service market.

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

60 a year for a service that gives me around 4 games a month regardless if a few are indie is not that bad. If nintendos is cheaper that is good but with what they offer noting really sticks out.. the worse being the game "rentals" a month. Still it was only a matter of time till they joined the paid service market.

Some think the wording on that may be a translation error and it may be like Playstation where you have a month to add it to your catalog then you lose it if you don't. And remember they are adding online ot those SNES and NEs games

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Is Sumo even considered an indie dev?

Only if you considered Hudson-Soft one back in the day XD, but no seriously, they are AA level devs not indies. Heck I'd say Wayforward aren't really indies either, they are a small group, but they've been making games for over a decade

Oh boy. There's a bomb out of nowhere. I was under the impression Nintendo was done with this 2 systems per generation mentality, but now, that does not seem to be the case. Let the speculation begin, I guess.

https://mobile.twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826993607525609472

1) Sorry for the Nintendo tweet storms, but here is one more news item. Thanks to @gypsyOtoko for alerting me to a Kyoto Shinbun article.

2) In it, Nintendo president Kimishima is quoted as saying he considers a 3DS successor because he sees a need and market for it.

3) He doesn't give more details, but he seems to actually mean an entirely new machine , not a 3DS update or refresh. /end

On another note, they do have major focus on the Switch as well and a big plan

http://gonintendo.com/stories/273170-nintendo-on-why-they-re-advertising-switch-during-the-super-bowl#comments

"There's no bigger stage in the U.S. on which to showcase the platform. I think it speaks to our confidence in the system. Think about your 40- to 45-year-old parent who has really fond memories of playing Zelda growing up, sitting there watching Super Bowl with their 10- or 12-year-old child who maybe hasn't experienced Zelda yet.

We heard from U.S. gamers that they were tremendously excited about the proposition [of Switch], and that they couldn't wait to experience the power of a home console portably within their own homes. Not only inside the home and outside, but just moving from room to room

This isn't just a six to eight week launch campaign. This is really a 15 month campaign for us, to say nothing of our plans for 2018. You're going to see a number of other touch points, including additional 30 or 60 second executions in the coming weeks that emphasize the full proposition, meaning those multiple demographics, including kids, teenagers, young adults, parents, active gamers, casual gamers and so forth."