Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

4 hours ago, Tornado said:

No, but it will be the first Nintendo system in 20 years that developers/publishers won't have to devote time into making "a Nintendo version", which counts for an awful lot if the system is initially met with consumer apathy.

I never said it wasn't? Brand loyalty, and negative stigma's are things that play heavy in purchases for lots of people. Yeah, it's good to not have dumbed down ports, but that's not all you need, as I explained in the rest of my post. 

I think you're underplaying it here. The fact that Xbox One and PS4 being similar is what lead to the likes of FF XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 getting an Xbox One release. The audience is on PS4, but it takes nothing to throw them out on the other system for some extra sales. When all competing platforms match each other closely, it gives developers an incentive to get their game out to as many markets as possible instead of having to pick and choose. Hell, this is why there's so few 3rd party exclusives this generation. It'd be stupid not to put a product out on platforms that easily support it. Sony and Microsoft have to moneyhat to stop them from doing so.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Conando said:

I think you're underplaying it here. The fact that Xbox One and PS4 being similar is what lead to the likes of FF XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 getting an Xbox One release. The audience is on PS4, but it takes nothing to throw them out on the other system for some extra sales. When all competing platforms match each other closely, it gives developers an incentive to get their game out to as many markets as possible instead of having to pick and choose. Hell, this is why there's so few 3rd party exclusives this generation. It'd be stupid not to put a product out on platforms that easily support it. Sony and Microsoft have to moneyhat to stop them from doing so.

What led to KH3 being on Xbox was Microsoft buying their way into the thing. If Square were legit wanting it there, the HD collections likely would have been on the 360/One as well like how MGSHD did. Square's past shadey deals with Mictosoft don't help their case.

And where are you getting this from, there was never any mention of Microsoft paying for 3 to be on the Xbox One. By all rights they wouldn't have to, because the game runs on an engine that requires no effort to run on either system. I'm aware they did it with XIII, but XIII was specifically made using an engine they built for the cell processor. Unreal 4 is a x86 engine. My point still stands that it's idiotic to remain exclusive unless you're paid to do so, there is no hardware reason for it anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Conando said:

And where are you getting this from, there was never any mention of Microsoft paying for 3 to be on the Xbox One. By all rights they wouldn't have to, because the game runs on an engine that requires no effort to run on either system. I'm aware they did it with XIII, but XIII was specifically made using an engine they built for the cell processor. Unreal 4 is a x86 engine. My point still stands that it's idiotic to remain exclusive unless you're paid to do so, there is no hardware reason for it anymore.

It's a likely (and pretty popular) scenario considering how at the time Microsoft was scrounging for something to make the Xbox One desirable. And we have on record Microsoft paying square for timed exclusion of Tomg Raider. And Square Released all the bravest. It wouldn't be all that surprise at all to find out that behind closed doors, Microsoft made deals with specific companies and the like.

it could happen, I just don't see it likely if the scenario given before actually happened, as that means Square didn't really care about other audiences. I mean Square exclude their PlayStation fanbase for the longest time after 2, so not like they're smart.

So it's just speculation. I'm more inclined to believe that Square did it because, you know, the systems are exactly the same. There isn't some strange brand loyalty going on with actual publishers, you do know that right?

5 minutes ago, Conando said:

So it's just speculation. I'm more inclined to believe that Square did it because, you know, the systems are exactly the same. There isn't some strange brand loyalty going on with actual publishers, you do know that right?

>looks at the KH HD collections 

sure

you seem very optimistic about AAA developers.

You mean the games they would have made an effort to get running on 360 since it had different hardware from the PS3 and was running on some weird S-E designed engine that was probably designed for PS3? Honestly, I don't want to be that guy but, it seems like you just don't want them to put their games on NX other than for the reason that you like PS4? I don't know, man.

• Thumbs Up 1

They were HD collections, not some brand new game though. Hell, can't believe I'm saying this, Silent Hill HD at least even building the game from the ground up went multi plat. If MGS and that could have done it I see no excuse for KH. And what about 2.8 which has games running on the same engine KH3 is?

I have no problem with seeing it on Xbox or NX. I just 1. consider the thing with Xbox shady considering past endeavors by both companies and 2. Am not holding my breath for XV and KH3 on NX happening. 

Except for the fact that, you know, Sony paid for it to be exclusive. It's easier to get a smaller project to be an exclusive than a large investment. I'm not saying there isn't the possibility that it's "just because", but it's stupid business sense if it is. And the argument is that NX being like PS4 and Xbone's architecture makes that stupid "just because" excuse the only reason. There's no extra hurdle.

6 minutes ago, Conando said:

Except for the fact that, you know, Sony paid for it to be exclusive. It's easier to get a smaller project to be an exclusive than a large investment. I'm not saying there isn't the possibility that it's "just because", but it's stupid business sense if it is. And the argument is that NX being like PS4 and Xbone's architecture makes that stupid "just because" excuse the only reason. There's no extra hurdle.

Where was it stated the HD collections exclusive rights were bought by Sony? 

i mean 2.8 has some pretty fucking important content that ties into 3, and it's not available to Xbox despite those games running on the same engine as 3. Where's the sense there? 

And again, the AAA industry isn't exactly the pinnacle of bright ideas. Activion, Ubisoft, etc once again showing the finger to Nintendo "just cause" wouldn't surprise me. Especially if they use the "hardcore" market excuse.

It's 4 AM, bear with me. My intention was to imply that they could have bought exclusivity, just as Microsoft has supposedly bought the rights to a game being multiplat (which seems stupid to me, but companies gotta do what they gotta do). What I meant to say was "except for the fact that they could have paid for them to be exclusive", as we know that's a thing that is done. I also won't argue against Western publishers using that stupid "just because" reason, though the NX being similar at least opens up possibilities in the East (so companies like SEGA, Capcom, Square-Enix, etc), where Nintendo does well enough to want to throw out easy ports when possible.

21 minutes ago, Conando said:

It's 4 AM, bear with me. My intention was to imply that they could have bought exclusivity, just as Microsoft has supposedly bought the rights to a game being multiplat (which seems stupid to me, but companies gotta do what they gotta do). What I meant to say was "except for the fact that they could have paid for them to be exclusive", as we know that's a thing that is done.

It is stupid. It was stupid when Microsoft did that with Rise of the Tomb Raider. It was stupid when they did it with Dead Rising 3. Companinies doing stupid as hell things isn't anything new.

basically I'm all for multiplat. Things just don't in this situation add up to me fully and give me hope of seeing anything else happen than what's already here. I would have loved to see the HD collections go to Xbox for fans over there. And hey, if 3 was on NX, that'd be awesome.(honestly would have rather 3 been on a Nintendo system over M$'s as there's actual history between the game and them.)

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

And again, the AAA industry isn't exactly the pinnacle of bright ideas. Activion, Ubisoft, etc once again showing the finger to Nintendo "just cause" wouldn't surprise me. Especially if they use the "hardcore" market excuse.

Activision still releases games on the Wii U. Ubisoft does, too and they released what was basically an exclusive new IP for the Wii U's launch. They didn't show Nintendo the finger "jut because", they stopped releasing games because the Wii U was dead on the water and was harder to develop for. 

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

(honestly would have rather 3 been on a Nintendo system over M$'s as there's actual history between the game and them.)

lel feckin' M$ wanting money. Thank God we have the good Samaritans Nintendo and Sony, who just make games out of passion and dedication to the gamers.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not expecting the NX console to be much more powerful than the PS4, maybe a stronger CPU with a GPU to go along with it that avoids bottlenecks, but not an equivalent to the PS4K. The PS4K is effectively meaningless in this discussion, it's basically meant to be a stronger version of the PS4 for those who want higher resolutions and framerates, not a proper system in and of itself. Exclusives, if any, will be extremely few, as the PS4 userbase is too big to risk forsaking it. If the NX is an iterative family of systems like Iwata talked about, then the NX doesn't need to match the PS4K, it can exceed it and match the competitors' next generation of systems while still maintaining perfect backwards compatibility with both console and handheld titles.

And if Mario Maker and Splatoon ports are on the cards, then at the very least, an optional second screen component is involved, no question about it.

There's still a few years in this console generation left, and plenty of time before Nintendo needs to release a new system to catch up. The catch is that, provided that they play their cards right, they can just make an NX 2.0 with full backwards and forwards compatibility. Neither MS nor Sony will be able to do the same until their next systems.

I highly doubt MS paid to get KHIII on the Xbox One. As said, the HD collections ran on a weird engine designed for PS3. I don't see why they'd only put 2.8 on there either, the whole point of the HD remakes was to lead into KHIII. Having only 3D, KHX and a BBS Volume II thing seems to miss the point.

Of course, that's a discussion for the KH thread, not here. Personally I do hope the NX is more powerful than the PS4 just so I can see a game like Mario Galaxy 3 in amazing graphics. And while I care more about gameplay, it's just exciting to think about, y'know?

I wonder if it'll be compatible with the GameCube adapter thing. For Smash, of course.

Just now, Gambling Idol Luka said:

I wonder if it'll be compatible with the GameCube adapter thing. For Smash, of course.

I can't see it not being compatible. Nintendo has been working hard to be a big part of the competitive scene and specifically made it for that reason. If Smash is there, so will it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The official reason for no KH HD ports on Xbox 360 is that square didn't have the resources at the time. 

There's too much money on the table for companies to run on picking favorites  and "just because" reasoning. Wish more people would realize that.

• Thumbs Up 6

34 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The official reason for no KH HD ports on Xbox 360 is that square didn't have the resources at the time. 

There's too much money on the table for companies to run on picking favorites  and "just because" reasoning. Wish more people would realize that.

Yeah, porting to the PS3's esoteric hardware is enough trouble as it is, I imagine any ports of 1.5 and 2.5 to current hardware would probably be in the form of 2.9, since 2.8 is already going to PS4.

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

I never said it wasn't?

No, but you've continued since to dismiss how important it is to have hardware at some sort of parity. When games cost tens of millions of dollars a pop, a publisher isn't going to willingly leave money on the table no matter how badly a console is doing on the market. If a system is shitting up the joint but is painless to make ports to it, like the Gamecube was right out of the gate, the big publishers will sell games for it in lieu of any exclusivity arrangement. When a system is shitting up the joint but it is difficult to make ports for it, like it became with the Gamecube after 2002, or how it was with the Saturn, or how it was with the Wii U, or the PS3 in the first three years or so of its life, publishers won't give it the time of day; because the added expense for doing so increases what would have been minimal risks.

No one is saying that Nintendo coming out with a console that trades blows with the PS4k is going to drag people away from their XBones or PS4s. But what is being strangely overlooked by you is that the simple act of making a console that isn't min-maxed to hell like the Wii U, shit for power like the Wii, saddled with idiotic design restrictions like the Gamecube or intentionally designed in an obnoxious way like the N64, will have publishers make games for it as a matter of course. That makes the system infinitely more justifiable to gamers on the fence then buying it just because you want to play Zelda or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 3

It should be noted that Nintendo doesn't need to make the NX functionally and architecturally identical to the PS4 or Xbone to make it easy for developers to make ports. While x86 would be convenient, the other ideal option for cross-hardware compatibility, ARM, is also ubiquitous in both gaming and software development in general thanks to mobile devices, as demonstrated by engines like UE4 and Unity, and compilers are in a state where CPU architecture isn't nearly as big a deal as it used to be. As well, if Nintendo is using something similar to the free-form-screen patent for its gamepad, then it just needs to make off-screen-play painless for developers, including being able to just shove a 16:9 rendering view in the middle with a fancy border around it and call it a day for devs who don't feel like making use of he extra FOV space. The most probable rumors all indicate that Nintendo is going out of its way to make development and porting on the NX easy as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something I don't get is why this leaker said that x86 is 64-bit. Um, no it isn't. x86 is 32-bit. You only see it on 64-bit OS' because its to differentiate between the two Program File folders. x64 is 64-bit.

10 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

Something I don't get is why this leaker said that x86 is 64-bit. Um, no it isn't. x86 is 32-bit. You only see it on 64-bit OS' because its to differentiate between the two Program File folders. x64 is 64-bit.

x64 is just Microsoft's name for the x86-64 architecture.

8 hours ago, Marcello said:

Activision still releases games on the Wii U. Ubisoft does, too and they released what was basically an exclusive new IP for the Wii U's launch. They didn't show Nintendo the finger "jut because", they stopped releasing games because the Wii U was dead on the water and was harder to develop for. 

lel feckin' M$ wanting money. Thank God we have the good Samaritans Nintendo and Sony, who just make games out of passion and dedication to the gamers.

1. Activision at a time wouldn't put the CoD games on Wii U cause it wasn't for "hardcore" gamers or something.(or was that EA, I can't remember. A lot of what these shitty companies say blends in.) Ubisoft I believe said something similar for Assassins Creed outside 3. companies were being asses to the Wii U for the longest time. 

2. What? Why would me saying it simply made more sense to see KH3 on Nintendo hardware than Xbox be me calling Nintendo a Good Samaritan in comparison? Last time I checked Nintendo systems had half the series along with a string partnership with Disbey. Microsoft had neither of those. The fanbase is infinitely larger with Nintendo than M$. Has nothing to di with Nintendi supposedly being Jesus.

@Tornado Is it important? Yeah, I've said that. Though I look at the situation from both points. Having a powerful system in this age is necessary as you need to compete with the competition. Being able to create and get big 3rd party games is essential to show it as a equal and not a lesser when comparing. Though form a consumer standpoint Nintendo also has made it a little harder because of the rep they got from their last system. Not to say they can't still be the next PS2 with the NX. Simply saying they got their work cut out for them because of expectations to deliver.

And end of the day we'll never truly know the deal with Xbox and KH3. Either side could be right. I just wouldn't put it past Square do do something that sleezy as they've done tons of sleezy activity in the past. And at the time, when Microsoft were on the brink of suicide because of the One's rep, it totally could be possible. If 3 was always intended for the One, well, cool I guess? The market likely won't really go crazy for it over there, but still neat for the few fans that have that. It's pretty obvious Sony doesn't feel threatened about anything since they have everything AND 3. 

5 hours ago, Candescence said:

Yeah, porting to the PS3's esoteric hardware is enough trouble as it is, I imagine any ports of 1.5 and 2.5 to current hardware would probably be in the form of 2.9, since 2.8 is already going to PS4.

2.9 I still think is a thing, and honestly makes sense at this point to go multiplat. Leaving Xbox only with KH3 and nothing else just feels really weird. 

The weird thing about 2.8 is that didn't it start development after KH3? So why not build it with the One in mind? They were already rebuilding 3D to work for ps4.

Companies are being "asses" to the Wii U because it has bombed out on the market and wasn't designed very well. Stop projecting.

• Thumbs Up 8