Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

Yeah, the thing about totally new hardware is that there isn't going to be some fear about alienating the previous audience. NX won't have the issue of Nintendo pumping out exclusives for it unlike the N3DS and PS4K because it's not just a souped up version of already existing hardware (and at least in PS4K's side, hardware that isn't just now picking up games that are paying off the initial investment).

A controller with a screen sounds like a really shitty idea after the Wii U. No one gave a shit about it and it upped the price of the console. This is apparently cheaper, but it'll surely still be more expensive than a normal controller. To add to that, not even Nintendo ever did anything particularly creative with the idea after Nintendoland. I mean, I think it improves games like Zelda due to inventory management and maps, but it's no "new way to experience games".

Plus now I need to continue worrying about a Pokémon Snap sequel where I have to pretend the controller is a camera. >_>

Also, could you fix the font color, Deijimon? It's hard to read like that.

Pokemon Snap with the gamepad as a controller is like the perfect match, why would that be bad? Everyone seems to want that, or Pokemon Snap 3DS.

Pretending I have a camera in my hand isn't fun. Finding out how to get the best pictures of Pokemon and stuff like that was what was fun about Pokemon Snap.

17 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Pretending I have a camera in my hand isn't fun. Finding out how to get the best pictures of Pokemon and stuff like that was what was fun about Pokemon Snap.

Have gyro be a option then. Some people actually find that concept neat, and imo, it'd be perfect for gyro controls if they can get it right. The game could work on just the gamepad, or on the tv. Just don't set the game in real life please. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I could see it being perhaps a sequel or spiritual successor to the Mario RPG game, maybe a new Fortune Street game, or TWEWY2 even. If not something big like that, ports of FF7/KH3/FFXV maybe?

FFXV is coming to everything else, and that'd be a great thing for Nintendo - a mainline Final Fantasy hasn't been on a Nintendo console since FFVI, right?

Of course, a Squeenix Mario RPG in their current style would be insane. And possibly amazing. As would a console The World Ends With You, that was one of the few JRPG's I've actually played and it was dope.

E3's probably going to be the big reveal for all this, right? A Nintendo Direct or a shareholders meeting seems too lowkey.

Actually, if Nintendo reveals the thing in a pre-E3 Nintendo Direct, it can get done explaining the machinery and features then and there. The company will then be free to spend the entire trade show focusing on games, games and more games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, that's the stuff people seem to respond to most - Sony's conference last year springs to mind, just a huge bang of big wish fulfilment games.

I mean, I'm not even a massive Nintendo fan, and I just hope the NX nails it. A Nintendo console that is on a par with current systems and is an option for all gamers due to a massive all-party library would be so good for the medium - people like me don't buy Wii U's, and we miss out on some really innovative stuff. Nintendo's Wii U titles are really inventive, but I get the feeling that the way, say, Splatoon handles the online shooter can be written off as 'Nintendo are doing it's thing, but real shooters are on the PS4 and Xbone'. And those shooters are boring, and I'd really like to play Splatoon, but can't justify it financially. If Nintendo can be a legitimate option for those people (and me, although I'm getting a PS4 and won't touch Destiny), those people would also realise that Nintendo are still a vital part of gaming.

I'm damn well tired of rumors. Why do people constantly give rumors the light of day? Half are going to be wrong at least and a few might end up being correct, but what's the point?

People love Luigi's Mansion. A rumor about an LM3 isn't shocking, could turn out completely legit, but the rumor was still a fake. We can't possibly know. So it drives me nuts that people keep on spouting off rumors as gospel. Once Nintendo announces it, we'll know. I know Nintendo hasn't said anything, and that's the point. Just because Nintendo hasn't said anything doesn't mean we should follow every goddamn rumor that springs up on the internet. Just be patient and wait.

You guys seem to be missing though that there's a difference between baseless internet rumors and the ones 10k is sharing.

That difference being that 10k has had his sources verified by NeoGAF moderators, and GAF in general has it's own secrecies and insider connections considering how deeply involved the forums are with the gaming industry. In other words, 10k went to mods and admins, confirmed his sources (without publicly sharing them of course, because people can get fired), and then he was allowed to share them.

In any other situation, someone posting rumors on GAF gets blasted to smithereens, either thanks to baseless and non-verified claims made on some offsite place like Reddit, seeming too fanboyish in description (a usual dead giveaway), or conceding their act in response to merciless blasting. Most people who share non-verified things on GAF or start rumor mills with no backup besides "my uncle works at Nintendo" get banned and/or scared away, and usually remembered for their rumormilling (bring up Ideaman on GAF and you'll see what I mean).

Now that's not to say anything 10k says is 100% legitimate either. He's just a messenger boy for people who are industry insiders, as in people probably either working for Nintendo or some third party companies. He could be getting some facts wrong or maybe even some things will be revised and/or changed before it comes around. BUT, he's confirmed to have these connections and is telling as much of the truth as he can.

And that's why this is worth talking about.

• Thumbs Up 2

My brother was almost always on his Wii U instead of PS4 because he didn't need to be on the TV it was connected to.

• Thumbs Up 8

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I get hella use out of the gamepad's screen, personally. I like being able to take the controller anywhere in my house and be able to play most of my games.

Anywhere in your house? I can't even go into the next room.

I like the second screen, I use off-screen play a lot, even when I don't have to, but for the most part, people simply didn't care, I don't think anecdotal evidence proves me wrong.

Which is why I don't believe it'll be forced on users like the Wii U did. I imagine the console's gonna have a primary traditional controller from the start with the gamepad as something more of a luxury that either also comes with the console or is bought in a deluxe bundle.

Off-TV play is probably the most revolutionary idea Nintendo's had since they started mining for gimmicks around a decade ago. Motion play and touch has nothing on it, and neither does VR. They're fads that work only for very specific things.

Meanwhile, off-TV play offers gamers a way to not have to sit in front of a TV to play your games, in fact it even helps people who cannot afford HDTVs whatsoever and have no alternatives (like myself), and gives people the opportunity to play with the luxury of a home console anywhere you can plug it up (on planes, cars, trains, in cafes, libraries, etc). 

And that's probably the biggest reasons I can say it'd be foolish to forget that idea altogether, especially since it was so underused on Wii U as-is in favor of tablet screen specific gimmickry. Off-TV play needs a second chance, and I think if you can make it as small, affordable, optional and additive to a good experience as possible (instead of bulky, expensive, forced and detractive to playing games), then Nintendo would be striking gold.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I get hella use out of the gamepad's screen, personally. I like being able to take the controller anywhere in my house and be able to play most of my games.

Really? I've actually heard people say they can use their Gamepad pretty much anywhere, though mine disconnects even if I'm 10 feet away or if my leg moves in front of it.

Although I was able to use it in the room directly downstairs to an extent once... Maybe mine's just got some problems. The touch screen did cease to function once.

Anyways yeah, I love the Gamepad. It's really helpful when my sisters wanna play the PS3. I can just watch anime on it while they're doing that, or play some games (I avoid playing Smash or XCX for reasons). Personally, I do hope the NX has a touch screen and acts like an even better Gamepad. Being able to take it anywhere (provided you have the hypothetical USB wi-fi thingy) sounds awesome.

16 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Which is why I don't believe it'll be forced on users like the Wii U did. I imagine the console's gonna have a primary traditional controller from the start with the gamepad as something more of a luxury that either also comes with the console or is bought in a deluxe bundle.

I like this idea on paper but I doubt Nintendo would be willing to put it to practice, and I'm speaking as someone who likes the Wii U GamePad and Off-TV Play. An NX GamePad being touted as more of an bonus "deluxe" item I could see turning out to be a Kinect or PS Move situation--whereas most consumers would go straight for the traditional console instead, and the actual audience that buys it would be probably too small to justify the (long-term) investment. I imagine Nintendo would probably take an "all or nothing" scenario--either the NX has a screen controller as the primary controller, or they ditch it completely and go with a traditional controller instead.

If Nintendo is sticking with a second-screen controller as the primary controller for the NX, they would really need to pull a Microsoft Windows situation with it, i.e. make a vastly improved iteration on it that makes everyone consider it "the Wii U GamePad but done right" (at least, to those who were even aware of the Wii U anyway :v), like how public perception was with Vista to W7 and --to an extent-- W10 to W8(.1). The existing GamePad concept would need to be extensively streamlined (smaller form factor and supplementary functions like the built-in camera, sensor bar, and TV IR control may have to be cut entirely) and massively improved functionality (console streaming and battery life), while also be produced on a much more modest budget, which I'm having some trouble picturing, given how the Wii U GamePad drove up the cost of the entire Wii U package. Doubly so if the NX is also going for power parity as well; though if it's going for more industry-standard middleware hardware (no PowerPC), then the cost shouldn't be too bad of a strike.

I can also see the public being more receptive to the GamePad concept the second time around if Nintendo doesn't fumble their marketing and public perception with the NX iteration. The GamePad likely would have had a more enthusiastic response if the console it was attached to didn't have a misleading continuation of the Wii brand for the name and if Nintendo was explicitly and consistently upfront about the GamePad's functionality being entirely dependent on the console.

• Thumbs Up 1

They spent a lot of time coming up with the technology to let it run as a wireless screen almost flawlessly (range problems notwithstanding). They could just make it so the NX supports the thing to that end, and if developers want to go in on it and do something extra with it, have at it.

• Thumbs Up 2

And 10k says her sources are incorrect. You know what that means..

46694700b5efa2ccea60d4257a1f10ca.jpg

We'll see what comes of this in due time. But I think the general thing we're still following is that it's stronger than PS4 and Xbone, and is easy to develop for.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Gambling Idol Luka said:

Emily Rogers says the information about the GPU and power level is incorrect, and that the gimmick posted was made up.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/04/18/emily-rogers-verified-neogaf-user-10k-nx-information-isnt-correct/

This is so fucking hilarious.

22 hours ago, Azoo said:

You guys seem to be missing though that there's a difference between baseless internet rumors and the ones 10k is sharing.

That difference being that 10k has had his sources verified by NeoGAF moderators, and GAF in general has it's own secrecies and insider connections considering how deeply involved the forums are with the gaming industry. In other words, 10k went to mods and admins, confirmed his sources (without publicly sharing them of course, because people can get fired), and then he was allowed to share them.

In any other situation, someone posting rumors on GAF gets blasted to smithereens, either thanks to baseless and non-verified claims made on some offsite place like Reddit, seeming too fanboyish in description (a usual dead giveaway), or conceding their act in response to merciless blasting. Most people who share non-verified things on GAF or start rumor mills with no backup besides "my uncle works at Nintendo" get banned and/or scared away, and usually remembered for their rumormilling (bring up Ideaman on GAF and you'll see what I mean).

Now that's not to say anything 10k says is 100% legitimate either. He's just a messenger boy for people who are industry insiders, as in people probably either working for Nintendo or some third party companies. He could be getting some facts wrong or maybe even some things will be revised and/or changed before it comes around. BUT, he's confirmed to have these connections and is telling as much of the truth as he can.

And that's why this is worth talking about.

The problem is its still baseless internet rumors. We have know idea what sources they are, and being so-called "verified" by an online site is worthless. The only company/group that can "verify" rumors is the company/group making it, and that's Nintendo. Everything else is completely irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Which is exactly my point, as well.

What else are we gonna talk about in this topic? You could always say "don't", but this is Nintendo's next console. There's a lot of concern as well as hype to go around on the subject, so to talk about rumors that seem more substantial than "my dad is Miyamoto and he said it runs on 49 PS4s at once and plays all games ever made in 4K" seems reasonable enough to me.

• Thumbs Up 3