Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

I mean, that is the only thing that could make some amount of sense. Think about it, they've been working on their game for four years. Retro has a been on a 3 year schedule since 2007. Their game has to be at least close to completion. Nintendo was completely silent about them at E3. There wasn't even a "Sorry. Retro's project will be announced at a later date. Next question." Reggie also did say there were 2017 Switch games to be announced, and I personally can't see any other possibility

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I mean, that is the only thing that could make some amount of sense. Think about it, they've been working on their game for four years. Retro has a been on a 3 year schedule since 2007. Their game has to be at least close to completion. Nintendo was completely silent about them at E3. There wasn't even a "Sorry. Retro's project will be announced at a later date. Next question." Reggie also did say there were 2017 Switch games to be announced, and I personally can't see any other possibility

I still think Retro has two projects in development as well. One set for either this year or early next year, and another set for next year (or 2019). Unless they're just working on one huge game, but I'm not sure what Retro could be doing that would take 4 (or 5) years.

1 hour ago, Cornelius Fudge said:

Sounds nice, but we're already getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fairly soon, so I'm not sure how people would be incentivized to get the port.

I think maybe if they did XC and XCX in the same disc it'd be a bigger incentive.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2017 at 0:38 AM, JaidynReiman said:

I still think Retro has two projects in development as well. One set for either this year or early next year, and another set for next year (or 2019). Unless they're just working on one huge game, but I'm not sure what Retro could be doing that would take 4 (or 5) years.

I'm not sure if they're big enough for two games. They only have around 70 employees, last I heard. The only two things that we actually know are that it isn't Metroid, and that it's composer just got hired a couple of months ago. 

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I'm not sure if they're big enough for two games. They only have around 70 employees, last I heard. The only two things that we actually know are that it isn't Metroid, and that it's composer just got hired a couple of months ago. 

Miyamoto said they were, and for a while they had 100+ employees (back around MP3 and I believe even in 2013-2014 that was indicated through LinkedIn), but I also saw the reported numbers drop down to 70 at some point (perhaps employees got shifted to NoA or other areas and some left; in 2016 supposedly this was reported). Miyamoto said he felt they were ready to do two games. Retro's games take about 2-3 years to develop. I believe the DKC games took about two years a piece, while the Metroid games took 3. One bigger game (3 years) and 1 DKC game could easily work together, they just worked on them simultaneously for a while.

Retro often acts as a supplementary to Nintendo of Japan, co-producing games like Mario Kart 7/8. I haven't heard anything about that recently, though.

EDIT:

Missed this.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

it's composer just got hired a couple of months ago. 

Based on what I've read about that he mostly does sound effects recently.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235907008&postcount=7

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235908817&postcount=77

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Brandon#Video_game_credits

Tons of Audio Director and Sound Design roles.

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

Miyamoto said they were, and for a while they had 100+ employees (back around MP3 and I believe even in 2013-2014 that was indicated through LinkedIn), but I also saw the reported numbers drop down to 70 at some point (perhaps employees got shifted to NoA or other areas and some left; in 2016 supposedly this was reported).

That was before they had a massive exodus of staff. Nearly the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy team left to join Armature, which was founded by Mark Pacini, Director of Prime 1-3. You can count the number of people who worked on Metroid still working there on one hand. I know that part from friends. I know some people who work at Armature. (Austin resident here.)

Retro often acts as a supplementary to Nintendo of Japan, co-producing games like Mario Kart 7/8. I haven't heard anything about that recently, though.

They only helped with Mario Kart 7 and DKCR 3D, from what i know. 

EDIT:

Missed this.

Based on what I've read about that he mostly does sound effects recently.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235907008&postcount=7

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235908817&postcount=77

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Brandon#Video_game_credits

Tons of Audio Director and Sound Design roles.

That i didn't hear about, neat! I know David Wise is involved too. Not sure if that means anything. 

18 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

I think maybe if they did XC and XCX in the same disc it'd be a bigger incentive.

Okay, then that'd be great incentive then.

Also, I believe I've seen you before in Zelda Universe. I'm surprised you also visit this forum as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Zippo said:

They only helped with Mario Kart 7 and DKCR 3D, from what i know.

Yeah, I was wrong about that. They didn't work on MK8.

That i didn't hear about, neat! I know David Wise is involved too. Not sure if that means anything. 

David Wise has been rumored to be working on another project for Nintendo for a couple years. Recently, supposedly the guy who leaked David Wise was working on Snake Pass is also working with Retro again, but I don't know where the original source is from.

I mean, someone here saw Tanabe in Austin a couple months back as well.

7 hours ago, Cornelius Fudge said:

Okay, then that'd be great incentive then.

Also, I believe I've seen you before in Zelda Universe. I'm surprised you also visit this forum as well.

I've been on Sonic Stadium long before Zelda Universe. I've always been a huge Zelda fan, but for the longest time I was more into Sonic than Zelda. Sonic, Zelda, DKC, and Super Mario World are games I used to play a lot when I was a kid back in the late 90's.

Of course, it should be noted that I lurked on Zelda Universe for a long time (coming back again years later when big Zelda news started coming out again), but never bothered joining the forums until the past few years during the BotW hype cycle.

It seems weird to me that Nintendo aren't doing a bundle for Splatoon 2 (or at least, as far as I can tell they aren't...) my girlfriend and I were looking to get one for pretty much that game specifically and I was hoping I'd be able to buy the system with the neat purple/green Joycons but alas- no such deal exists.

20 minutes ago, xXx reMy xXx said:

It seems weird to me that Nintendo aren't doing a bundle for Splatoon 2 (or at least, as far as I can tell they aren't...) my girlfriend and I were looking to get one for pretty much that game specifically and I was hoping I'd be able to buy the system with the neat purple/green Joycons but alas- no such deal exists.

Pretty sure they are, but only in certain regions. I believe it was announced months ago.

Nintendo's not doing any bundles at all right now. I don't think we will see any until Black Friday.

2 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Nintendo's not doing any bundles at all right now. I don't think we will see any until Black Friday.

I guess the system is selling so well they don't really have a motivation to cut the price or package games in, because people are buying them just about as fast as they can make them already.

edit:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/05/splatoon-2-hardware-announced-for-australia-japan-and-europe/

Japan and Europe only? come on Nintendo, you're fucking up. Those watermelon joycons are cool as shit

5 minutes ago, xXx reMy xXx said:

I guess the system is selling so well they don't really have a motivation to cut the price or package games in, because people are buying them just about as fast as they can make them already.

edit:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/05/splatoon-2-hardware-announced-for-australia-japan-and-europe/

Japan and Europe only? come on Nintendo, you're fucking up. Those watermelon joycons are cool as shit

More like they can't produce enough consoles right now to do a bundle. By the fall they'll be able to.

Well, there are still supply issues, though none of those are Nintendo's fault - they're essentially competing with the likes of Apple for the allocation of production of certain parts, particularly NAND memory.

32 minutes ago, Candescence said:

Well, there are still supply issues, though none of those are Nintendo's fault - they're essentially competing with the likes of Apple for the allocation of production of certain parts, particularly NAND memory.

Purple and Green controller shells though? :<

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

No it's just Nintendo has always been bad at producing a stable number of units

Not in this case, the Switch actually is facing some nasty issues with supply that are basically out of Nintendo's hands, mainly to do with highly-valued components used by a variety of tech devices, mainly smartphones and tablets, and companies like Apple and Samsung have the lion's share of the demand.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's also possible that they have not done a bundle due to retailer pressure, who are occasionally iffy about selling bundles without having input on what they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Meta77 said:

No it's just Nintendo has always been bad at producing a stable number of units

This is a hilariously bad argument that constantly gets repeated even those its BS. At launch, no console has a stable number of units while they get the production lines in order. Over time, that clears up and companies are able to produce more consoles.

Nintendo produced 100m Wii's in 6 years. They also produced around 150m DS's.

And as @Candescence stated, the Switch is competing against Apple for parts.

• Thumbs Up 2

B.S. ps4 had shortages but going into Christmas working at best buy we were getting 20 a week if bot more. Yea they sold out but by no means a shortage. The Wii had a shortage. I've seen you try and post that number before end results don't matter the whis dead and buried. We're talking about now. Same for the bed classic. Same for certain amiibos.  Same for certain headsets. Nintendo us just bad at production runs. Apple may be contributing atm  but Nintendo has a history of this. "This clears up" your right  5 months is not enough time. No Nintendo just under estimates while die hard Nintendo fans blindly defend them when they do this

The Switch is a different device compared to both the PS4 and the Wii. Nintendo were conservative with stock at first after the Wii U's failure, but they're not having stock issues for the same reasons as the NES Classic or Amiibo. There is an active industry-wide shortage of NAND memory, with supply mainly being consumed by Apple, Chinese companies and data centres, that really only affects handheld devices that need that sort of memory, including the Switch. Nintendo obviously wants to expand its production considerably (because it currently has a hit on its hands), but it also needs parts that are in extreme demand at the moment.

Seriously, "Nintendo is bad at production runs" isn't always true, nor is it likely to be true when there's evidence of bigger factors affecting production.

Also, playing the 'fanboy' card merely when people disagree with you (especially when they have perfectly valid reasons to) is downright condescending, mate.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Candescence said:

The Switch is a different device compared to both the PS4 and the Wii. Nintendo were conservative with stock at first after the Wii U's failure, but they're not having stock issues for the same reasons as the NES Classic or Amiibo. There is an active industry-wide shortage of NAND memory, with supply mainly being consumed by Apple, Chinese companies and data centres, that really only affects handheld devices that need that sort of memory, including the Switch. Nintendo obviously wants to expand its production considerably (because it currently has a hit on its hands), but it also needs parts that are in extreme demand at the moment.

Seriously, "Nintendo is bad at production runs" isn't always true, nor is it likely to be true when there's evidence of bigger factors affecting production.

Also, playing the 'fanboy' card merely when people disagree with you (especially when they have perfectly valid reasons to) is downright condescending, mate.

No I can walk into Gamestop and Walmart Right now and they can tell you. Or hell I can email amazon. The main reason is cause Nintendo short ends the end line production. Gamestop for instance only gets 10 units per store if that. Thats it thats all nintendo ships out to them. They have no set resource on knowing when nintendo is going to ship more yet nintendo continues to broadcast ads for the switch and its games. Good for those of us that have one not so much for those that do not. A valid reason is not stating that shipped 100mil by the end of "2016" that means noting for this situation.  Right now. I am on a japanese import site. They have switches in stock.. I am going to check anothoer one. Gray nintendo switch in stock. Its noting about card shrotages. Its noting more than nintendo allocating more product to certain locations over others.

As far as bundles thinkgeek has been doing bundles and gamestop has. Granted the stuff is mostly nerd gear and wall decals.

55 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

No I can walk into Gamestop and Walmart Right now and they can tell you. Or hell I can email amazon. The main reason is cause Nintendo short ends the end line production. Gamestop for instance only gets 10 units per store if that. Thats it thats all nintendo ships out to them. They have no set resource on knowing when nintendo is going to ship more yet nintendo continues to broadcast ads for the switch and its games. Good for those of us that have one not so much for those that do not. A valid reason is not stating that shipped 100mil by the end of "2016" that means noting for this situation.  Right now. I am on a japanese import site. They have switches in stock.. I am going to check anothoer one. Gray nintendo switch in stock. Its noting about card shrotages. Its noting more than nintendo allocating more product to certain locations over others.

As far as bundles thinkgeek has been doing bundles and gamestop has. Granted the stuff is mostly nerd gear and wall decals.

Um, Japan is completely sold out as well my Nintendo sold out in two minutes the other day they have no more stock than we do. A handful of countries in Europe and South America have some stock yet they're selling the system for more than 50% over standard market price but that's about the only exception 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Um, Japan is completely sold out as well my Nintendo sold out in two minutes the other day they have no more stock than we do. A handful of countries in Europe and South America have some stock yet they're selling the system for more than 50% over standard market price but that's about the only exception 

dude im looking right now at this moment of them in stock seriously people

There you go

sssssssss.JPG

I circled it