Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

https://mobile.twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto

Yusuke Hashimoto, the director of Bayonetta 2,  has joined in on the Platinum teasing. He even pinned his Bayonetta Joy Con tweet. There's no way that all of this teasing isn't leading up to something soon. The evidence is stacking up, a Direct may be coming sooner than we expect. 

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto

Yusuke Hashimoto, the director of Bayonetta 2,  has joined in on the Platinum teasing. He even pinned his Bayonetta Joy Con tweet. There's no way that all of this teasing isn't leading up to something soon. The evidence is stacking up, a Direct may be coming sooner than we expect. 

Man even if its just more ports, i'm still really excited for this. Possible W101 AND bayoneta on the go would be awesome (even better if they can make the resolution and framerate better in handheld mode in W101 since it was pretty bad on the gamepad).

I kind of love the idea of Bayonetta being 'adopted' as a Nintendo franchise. SEGA has done it absolutely no justice, and Nintendo were the only company that seemed to care enough to step in, however odd a fit that still may seem. And the resulting Bayonetta 2 was a masterpiece. But it was a niche game and exclusive to the Wii U, so if my numbers are correct, it can't have sold any more than 12 copies worldwide. A port would be great, as would another instalment somewhere further down the line. Not fussed about TW101 though. That game completely failed to engage me.

Something I think they should do is do a Switch Direct this month, a 3DS Direct next month, and then individual games can get their pen Directs the next few months afterward.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

I'd prefer a new game over more ports

I'd prefer a new game over more ports

They wouldn't replace new games.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

O bit they would take up development time to get them formatted for the switch

Sure, and I agree that it's very easy for companies to rely too much on ports.The GBA is a fine example of a platform that that was bogged down with a too high a port to new game ratio. Considering the failure of the Wii U and the fact that it did have some really quality games, like Bayonetta and TW101, it will be easy for it to fall into that trap. 

But the fact is that ports require significantly less time and money than entirely new projects. And especially in the case of somewhat poor-selling games, such as Okami or even the mobile remasters of Sonic 1, 2 and CD, sales of a port can be of paramount significance in getting new games green-lit. Theoretical ports of Platinum's Wii U games won't hurt anyone. Think of them as stepping stones. Of course new games would be really awesome, but at the same time it's worth considering userbases. People who never looked twice at the Wii U are buying a Switch, so they're a potential new audience for any ports.

Who knows, if we're lucky SEGA might port Rise of Lyric!

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Sure, and I agree that it's very easy for companies to rely too much on ports.The GBA is a fine example of a platform that that was bogged down with a too high a port to new game ratio. Considering the failure of the Wii U and the fact that it did have some really quality games, like Bayonetta and TW101, it will be easy for it to fall into that trap. 

But the fact is that ports require significantly less time and money than entirely new projects. And especially in the case of somewhat poor-selling games, such as Okami or even the mobile remasters of Sonic 1, 2 and CD, sales of a port can be of paramount significance in getting new games green-lit. Theoretical ports of Platinum's Wii U games won't hurt anyone. Think of them as stepping stones. Of course new games would be really awesome, but at the same time it's worth considering userbases. People who never looked twice at the Wii U are buying a Switch, so they're a potential new audience for any ports.

Who knows, if we're lucky SEGA might port Rise of Lyric!

True I'm just a sucker for story and ports of not super old games always puzzled me. But I mean if they do it I'll look into buying it I'd just love a bayo 3 in switch

15 minutes ago, Zippo said:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/285960-rough-estimates-put-splatoon-2-sales-in-japan-at-500k-for-the-fir

If this ends up being true, fucking wow.

Splatoon 2 being a massive hit in Japan was expected, but i didn't expect it to be this massive. Did you guys get a look at those lines on launch day? Fucking insane. 

That would be what, a 50% attach rate at this point? I mean that means it outsold every other territory on release week, which is simply unheard of

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFgTUm3UMAE1TcX?format=jpg

Not real, but boy it would be great if it was. 

3 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

That would be what, a 50% attach rate at this point? I mean that means it outsold every other territory on release week, which is simply unheard of

Splatoon is fucking huge in Japan. Not only that, but it was a new, exclusive IP that sold over 5 million copies on a system that almost no one bought. Putting the sequel extremely early on a system that nearly everyone is trying to get their hands on was a brilliant idea. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For one the switch is still dry on fp games so every new release I expect them to sell like wild. It's probably most fun since botw but it really sucks there is not voice chat natural in the game cause lord tight matches could be won if you could just say lookout

42 minutes ago, Zippo said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFgTUm3UMAE1TcX?format=jpg

Not real, but boy it would be great if it was. 

Splatoon is fucking huge in Japan. Not only that, but it was a new, exclusive IP that sold over 5 million copies on a system that almost no one bought. Putting the sequel extremely early on a system that nearly everyone is trying to get their hands on was a brilliant idea. 

Vg has it at 4.68 mil. Still impressive bit it's cute and simple. Simple sells and my inkling adorable

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201707/26138427.html

Wow. 

Splatoon 2 did even better in Japan than previously estimated. It sold over 671 thousand copies in three days. And that's not even counting all of the people who bought it digitally. From what we've seen, the game is completely sold out in Japan, with many people leaving stores empty handed. That's 4 times more than the first Splatoon. It's safe to say Splatoon 2 is going to be a monstrous success for Nintendo. It's most certainly at a mllion aleady, and it hasn't even been a week. It's great to add another core franchise to the Nintendo family. 

• Thumbs Up 3

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

Here we go!

Switch is at 4.7 milllion sold. 

BOTW is at 3.92 milllion. 

MK8 Deluxe is at 3.54 sold. 

1-2 Switch is at 1.22 million sold. 

Arms has sold over a million copies in two weeks. 

Fucking awesome. Another successful new IP for Nintendo. Literally every single first party Switch game is a million seller so far. And Splatoon 2 has certainly already joined the club.Those attach rates are insane. 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Zippo said:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201707/26138427.html

Wow. 

Splatoon 2 did even better in Japan than previously estimated. It sold over 671 thousand copies in three days. And that's not even counting all of the people who bought it digitally. From what we've seen, the game is completely sold out in Japan, with many people leaving stores empty handed. That's 4 times more than the first Splatoon. It's safe to say Splatoon 2 is going to be a monstrous success for Nintendo. It's most certainly at a mllion aleady, and it hasn't even been a week. It's great to add another core franchise to the Nintendo family. 

BotW is at 4m only on Switch at half a year out. Its going to easily beat Twilight Princess' numbers. That's really great as well.

As for Splatoon 2, yeah, 670k in Japan alone. Its very likely hit almost 1.5m.

r1.png

Pokemon is listed as "2018 or later"  Bssically means they're trying to have it out next year, but no promises. Metroid Prime 4 is "TBA" which says to me that it is not coming out next year. Q1 2019 at the earliest. 

7 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

BotW is at 4m only on Switch at half a year out. Its going to easily beat Twilight Princess' numbers. That's really great as well.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Maybe 2 million. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

r1.png

Pokemon is listed as "2018 or later"  Bssically means they're trying to have it out next year, but no promises. Metroid Prime 4 is "TBA" which says to me that it is not coming out next year. Q1 2019 at the earliest. 

Yeah, that sounds about right. Maybe 2 million. 

I dunno, it would have to be around 1m in NA alone to hit that number and I doubt its -that- high.

As for Pokemon and MP4... Yeah, I doubt they release next year. We'll see a lot more on them, but the big games next year will be newly announced titles, one of which will probably be Animal Crossing.

7 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

Let's also not forget to consider the Wii U owners of the game who have no incentive to get the Switch version.

That's really amazing once you think about it. Didn't Skyward Sword have only 4-5m copies sold despite being on a system that had sold >100 million copies worldwide?

8 hours ago, Cornelius Fudge said:

Let's also not forget to consider the Wii U owners of the game who have no incentive to get the Switch version.

That's really amazing once you think about it. Didn't Skyward Sword have only 4-5m copies sold despite being on a system that had sold >100 million copies worldwide?

From what I can tell, the last numbers are 3.67 million. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

You also have to remember, though, that the potential install base for the game is reduced by needing the Wii Motion +.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Nintendo Switch -> Zelda attach rate must be insanely high. I don't think I know a single switch owner that doesn't have it. Like maybe if you got the Switchy for Mariokart or something, but otherwise...

8 hours ago, Cornelius Fudge said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns way outsold Skyward Sword. I think in general, Skyward Sword also just wasn't very well received. Its main sales were likely initial sales, and word of mouth preventing it from spreading further than that. An argument can be made for the Wii Motion Plus, but didn't the game get packaged with a Motion Plus expansion pack?

• Thumbs Up 1